Re: [videoblogging] good article on RSS vs Browser video

  • sull
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 1, 2006
      correction - http://mybloglog.com/
      right?

      --
      Sull
      http://vlogdir.com (a project)

      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 1, 2006
        I'm not sure how I feel about blogrolling tools or 'friending" tools.

        I use a thing called co.mmenting that's got a bookmarklet for tracking
        my comments and responses to them across the entire vlogosphere and
        beyond.

        I CANNOT recommend this tool enough if you like to chat with your
        favorite vloggers on their vlogs.

        I could really use a great blogroll tool that allows me to add friends
        to my right hand sidebar and uses XFN or FOAF to let me declare my
        relationships to them... and to group them.

        Both these are fine examples of stimulating OPEN community between
        independant blogs.

        Where is this going.

        Why it's going the next step beyond technoratti

        Technoratti is 'niche search'

        They have started to move into being a social network but haven't
        found their stride.

        Ultimatley this is where it's going in my opinion.

        Widespread easy to creat PHPBB like aggregatory social media networks.

        There are two vectors happening right now in the blogosphere.

        1) socializing everything... not just search... like technoratti, but community

        2) media... not just aggregation of text like bloglines... but
        bloglines media rich... of which mefeedia is perhaps the closest
        thing.

        I think bloglines is fundamentally ill suited to handle media... media
        like audio, video and image requires a completely new system for
        enjoyment.

        There is of course a third thing

        3) beyond the desktop... as all this crap flows beyond the desktop and
        out into crackberries, pda's, cell phones, set top boxes, and portable
        media aggregators and players... the vestor will increasingly be about
        communications. Not just entertainment.

        Whipping out your PDA to show the people in the checkoutline pictures
        of your kids... or watch a video from a friend... or listen to new
        music or a podcast is the future of communications... it's
        NON-realtime... web-time... on demand, media rich.... two way... but
        not demanding that both people be online, at the same time giving each
        other undivided attention.... as such it will be a more abstracted...
        but much easier and more enjoyable form of communication.

        Insteading of having a conversation with your niece about building a
        snowman today... you'll get a picture of a snowman from a public photo
        feed... with your niece standing next to it... and you will smile, or
        laugh, because within that CONTEXT you'll be able to take in a
        thousand details more than you could in a few seconds... than by a 15
        minute phone conversation.

        So... that's the future of where I think this is going.

        But I'm a idiot, I ramble, and what do I know anyway... I'm a stupid "consumer".

        I should just vote for the future by spending $500 on a mobile phone..

        because I'm an american (consumer) idiot.

        :)

        Peace,

        -Mike
        mefeedia.com
        mmeiser.com/blog

        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 1, 2006
          yeah, co.mments.com is great!
          i recommend everyone try it.
          i've had it integrated, loosely, on vlogdir.com for some time now.
          they have an API too.
          but comments in the blogosphere are key to discovery of people.
          often, i discover gems within comments.

          sull

          On 11/1/06, groups-yahoo-com@... <groups-yahoo-com@...>
          wrote:

> [...]
          > "consumer".
          >
          > I should just vote for the future by spending $500 on a mobile phone..
          >
          > because I'm an american (consumer) idiot.
          >
          > :)
          >
          > Peace,
          >
          > -Mike
          > mefeedia.com
          > mmeiser.com/blog
          >

          > On 11/1/06, sull <sulleleven@... <sulleleven%40gmail.com>> wrote:
          > > correction - http://mybloglog.com/
          > > right?
          > >
          > > On 11/1/06, Digital Buddha <digitalbuddha@...<digitalbuddha%40gmail.com>>
          > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > myblogspot.com tries to create the "add a friend button" to personal
          > > > blogs....what do you think about the execution of this functionality?
          > Are
          > > > there other solutions like this out there that try to connect

        • Harold Johnson
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 2, 2006
            I've been yearning for portable media for a long time, so the
            possibilities made available by RSS appealed to me right away. Two
            years have gone by (since I was first made aware of RSS enclosures --
            and therefore, podcasts and other large digital media objects
            delivered on-demand to RSS clients), and I've got a feeling it will be
            awhile before we see a really *great* (read: one that is easy to use,
            works really well, is relatively inexpensive, and generally
            location-independent) portable/mobile digital media receiver. Sure,
            there are those who wrestle with their PDAs and mobile phones to get
            their RSS feeds (and enclosures) delivered to their location, but
            that's not *great*. That's a *hassle*, for the most part -- and awful
            expensive, as well.

            So, though I love podcasting and its future potential, I believe that
            -- for the next few years -- most folks are going to be enjoying
            digital media content while sitting at their (relatively) inexpensive
            laptop or desktop system. I know, not a major revelation -- but it's
            something I would bank on, at least for the next few years. (And
            believe me when I say, I wish it weren't the case; I'd *love* see a
            great, iPod-like wireless receiver. The Zune sounds interesting, but
            it's got restrictions, and it's not truly location-independent.) So
            it makes sense to focus on website-based video, for the time being.
            Yet I would encourage 'net video producers to *keep backups* of their
            source video, as there will be a day when Apple or Microsoft or Nokia
            or Cingular or Ladies From Leftfield will release a device or system
            which in portable in a truly *great* way, and you'll want to have your
            source video handy (for re-encoding, of course).

            Video Harold
            http://videoharold.com

            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 2, 2006
              more promising.... maybe.