Re: [videoblogging] good article on RSS vs Browser video

    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 1, 2006
      > As for what this means for Jay.
      > It's NOT just about videoblogging.
      > It's about text, image, video and audio.
      > As such I think there's value in teaching kids about the platform that
      > is blogging.
      > Just showing them youtube may be a disservice in the long term but
      > it's training wheels... you've got to start them somwhere.
      > And yeah, I think it's the best place to start them.

      we could ahve this argument for hours.
      yes...youtube is definitely the addictive way to start people.
      lots of easy to watch content a click away.
      easy to upload.

      my biggest concern is vendor lock-in....
      as long as anyone i teach understands this concept, youtube away.

      I guess i see blogging as a social network, just without the "make me
      a friend!" button.
      people have sidebars linking to others, comments, etc.
      maybe we need to go back to "web rings" so we can expose other people's content.

      Me ----> http://www.momentshowing.net
      My Book ---->http://tinyurl.com/e6cap
      SF community ----> http://RyanIsHungry.com
      Community Capitalism----> http://HaveMoneyWillVlog.com
      Educate ----> http://node101.org
      Collaboration ----> http://spinxpress.com
      Call now ----> 917 371 6790
    • Digital Buddha
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 1, 2006
        myblogspot.com tries to create the "add a friend button" to personal
        blogs....what do you think about the execution of this functionality? Are
        there other solutions like this out there that try to connect *existing*
        blogs together?

        On 11/1/06, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...> wrote:

        > > As for what this means for Jay.
        > > It's NOT just about videoblogging.
        > > It's about text, image, video and audio.
        > > As such I think there's value in teaching kids about the platform that
        > > is blogging.
        > > Just showing them youtube may be a disservice in the long term but
        > > it's training wheels... you've got to start them somwhere.
        > > And yeah, I think it's the best place to start them.
        >
        > we could ahve this argument for hours.
        > yes...youtube is definitely the addictive way to start people.
        > lots of easy to watch content a click away.
        > easy to upload.
        >
        > my biggest concern is vendor lock-in....
        > as long as anyone i teach understands this concept, youtube away.
        >
        > I guess i see blogging as a social network, just without the "make me
        > a friend!" button.
        > people have sidebars linking to others, comments, etc.
        > maybe we need to go back to "web rings" so we can expose other people's
        > content.

        > Me ----> http://www.momentshowing.net
        > My Book ---->http://tinyurl.com/e6cap
        > SF community ----> http://RyanIsHungry.com
        > Community Capitalism----> http://HaveMoneyWillVlog.com
        > Educate ----> http://node101.org
        > Collaboration ----> http://spinxpress.com
        > Call now ----> 917 371 6790

      • sull
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 1, 2006
          so, what it's your head rigth now?
          where do the aggregators fit in to your current view?
          do you still use fireant... what about democracy, fireant.... mefeedia, blip
          and so on.

          it doesnt matter where the video is hosted.

          is this about how to make the vlogosphere/blogoshere more cohesive
          (technorati gives me a headache)?
          lessen the need for social sites?
          is this about how to use rss as the article discusses.

          webrings are helpful, i agree. how about something like grazr?
          http://grazr.com

          sull

          --
          Sull
          http://vlogdir.com (a project)

        • sull
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 1, 2006
            correction - http://mybloglog.com/
            right?

            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 1, 2006
              I'm not sure how I feel about blogrolling tools or 'friending" tools.

              I use a thing called co.mmenting that's got a bookmarklet for tracking
              my comments and responses to them across the entire vlogosphere and
              beyond.

              I CANNOT recommend this tool enough if you like to chat with your
              favorite vloggers on their vlogs.

              I could really use a great blogroll tool that allows me to add friends
              to my right hand sidebar and uses XFN or FOAF to let me declare my
              relationships to them... and to group them.

              Both these are fine examples of stimulating OPEN community between
              independant blogs.

              Where is this going.

              Why it's going the next step beyond technoratti

              Technoratti is 'niche search'

              They have started to move into being a social network but haven't
              found their stride.

              Ultimatley this is where it's going in my opinion.

              Widespread easy to creat PHPBB like aggregatory social media networks.

              There are two vectors happening right now in the blogosphere.

              1) socializing everything... not just search... like technoratti, but community

              2) media... not just aggregation of text like bloglines... but
              bloglines media rich... of which mefeedia is perhaps the closest
              thing.

              I think bloglines is fundamentally ill suited to handle media... media
              like audio, video and image requires a completely new system for
              enjoyment.

              There is of course a third thing

              3) beyond the desktop... as all this crap flows beyond the desktop and
              out into crackberries, pda's, cell phones, set top boxes, and portable
              media aggregators and players... the vestor will increasingly be about
              communications. Not just entertainment.

              Whipping out your PDA to show the people in the checkoutline pictures
              of your kids... or watch a video from a friend... or listen to new
              music or a podcast is the future of communications... it's
              NON-realtime... web-time... on demand, media rich.... two way... but
              not demanding that both people be online, at the same time giving each
              other undivided attention.... as such it will be a more abstracted...
              but much easier and more enjoyable form of communication.

              Insteading of having a conversation with your niece about building a
              snowman today... you'll get a picture of a snowman from a public photo
              feed... with your niece standing next to it... and you will smile, or
              laugh, because within that CONTEXT you'll be able to take in a
              thousand details more than you could in a few seconds... than by a 15
              minute phone conversation.

              So... that's the future of where I think this is going.

              But I'm a idiot, I ramble, and what do I know anyway... I'm a stupid "consumer".

              I should just vote for the future by spending $500 on a mobile phone..

              because I'm an american (consumer) idiot.

              :)

              Peace,

              -Mike
              mefeedia.com
              mmeiser.com/blog

              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 1, 2006
                yeah, co.mments.com is great!
                i recommend everyone try it.
                i've had it integrated, loosely, on vlogdir.com for some time now.
                they have an API too.
                but comments in the blogosphere are key to discovery of people.
                often, i discover gems within comments.

                sull

                On 11/1/06, groups-yahoo-com@... <groups-yahoo-com@...>
                wrote:

> [...]
                > "consumer".
                >
                > I should just vote for the future by spending $500 on a mobile phone..
                >
                > because I'm an american (consumer) idiot.
                >
                > :)
                >
                > Peace,
                >
                > -Mike
                > mefeedia.com
                > mmeiser.com/blog
                >

                > On 11/1/06, sull <sulleleven@... <sulleleven%40gmail.com>> wrote:
                > > correction - http://mybloglog.com/
                > > right?
                > >
                > > On 11/1/06, Digital Buddha <digitalbuddha@...<digitalbuddha%40gmail.com>>
                > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > myblogspot.com tries to create the "add a friend button" to personal
                > > > blogs....what do you think about the execution of this functionality?
                > Are
                > > > there other solutions like this out there that try to connect

              • Harold Johnson
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 2, 2006
                  I've been yearning for portable media for a long time, so the
                  possibilities made available by RSS appealed to me right away. Two
                  years have gone by (since I was first made aware of RSS enclosures --
                  and therefore, podcasts and other large digital media objects
                  delivered on-demand to RSS clients), and I've got a feeling it will be
                  awhile before we see a really *great* (read: one that is easy to use,
                  works really well, is relatively inexpensive, and generally
                  location-independent) portable/mobile digital media receiver. Sure,
                  there are those who wrestle with their PDAs and mobile phones to get
                  their RSS feeds (and enclosures) delivered to their location, but
                  that's not *great*. That's a *hassle*, for the most part -- and awful
                  expensive, as well.

                  So, though I love podcasting and its future potential, I believe that
                  -- for the next few years -- most folks are going to be enjoying
                  digital media content while sitting at their (relatively) inexpensive
                  laptop or desktop system. I know, not a major revelation -- but it's
                  something I would bank on, at least for the next few years. (And
                  believe me when I say, I wish it weren't the case; I'd *love* see a
                  great, iPod-like wireless receiver. The Zune sounds interesting, but
                  it's got restrictions, and it's not truly location-independent.) So
                  it makes sense to focus on website-based video, for the time being.
                  Yet I would encourage 'net video producers to *keep backups* of their
                  source video, as there will be a day when Apple or Microsoft or Nokia
                  or Cingular or Ladies From Leftfield will release a device or system
                  which in portable in a truly *great* way, and you'll want to have your
                  source video handy (for re-encoding, of course).

                  Video Harold
                  http://videoharold.com

                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 2, 2006
                    more promising.... maybe.