Re: new member saying "hey"

  • mmeiser8
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 1, 2005
      This has been said many many times, but it can't be said enough.

      The sort of experimentation is exactly what videoblogging needs right
      now. The sky is the limit. That you'd be muddying the waters is
      absurd. To use your own water metaphor, you are in fact a colorful
      rainbow fish (whatever a rainbow fish is), and there cannever be to
      much variety in ths sea.

      That said I think it's overview time of some of the great areas video
      blogs are starting to branch out in. These are just some genral themes
      I've enoticed, please feel free to add your own.

      personal jornals - the most common

      travel diaries - can't think of any off hand

      mini shows - The Carol and Steve Show (Steve Garfield) and hopefully
      the Dylan, Grandma and Mike show (from Dylan and Michael verdi)...
      anyone remember thespot.com, the worlds first web based sitcom?

      news format shows - rocketboom.com

      hyper local / community news - bayareablog
      -love to see more of this

      Genral video / celebrating OPM (Other Peoples Media) - something I'm
      doing (mmeiser.com/blog), which will hopefully promote video blogging,
      video bloggers and artists who work in such things as flash, parody,
      and all the crazy video art forms

      activism blog networks - I think media matters is sort of doing this
      -I think they'll be huge growth in this arena as more people

      semi-professional / professional industry rags /networks - I haven't
      seen any yet, but you can bet as video blogging grows we're going to
      start see publishing upstarts like engadget, adrag go video

      collaboritive video blogs - ie. weeklyDV.com / tokyoDV.com/culture
      -I really, rally want to see more of these.

      community discussion shows - unmediated.org was going this route, but
      they haven't produced a new video in weeks

      Well, that's everything I can thing of.

      Btw, Some more feedback regarding your blog. Love it, great format,
      great idea, great editing. Now take this with a grain of salt because
      I'm a useability freak, but why the video in the Flash. This has been
      an ongoing debate here, but I can't see download status, and you have
      no controls on the video to even paus it let alone rewind or fast
      forward. I checked out all your videos and twice it stopped playing
      in the middle of a video, I assume do to network traffic, and the only
      option was for me to relaod and start from the begining.

      From a usablity perspective opening up your format with somthing such
      as Quicktime and opening up your blog format so there is more textual
      information and/or visuals with your video submissions, possibly even
      comments will make everything much more accessible, open and inviting.
      If you do want to continue to use flash I think there are some really
      great stock video controllers / widgets in Flash. That said take it
      with a grain of salt, the most important thing here is that your doing
      it, not that it's perfect, which is not to say it's not perfect. In
      fact in what it is, it is by it's naturem perfect. But perfection does
      not rule out evolution and change, which is what I'm talking about.

      Oh, one other thing. While you are doing stuff very locally which does
      mean the majority of your target market are not bleeding edge
      techno-wizards, I think you will find that there is a community of
      people doing exactly what you're doing (except not yet with video)
      which would greatly benefit from your input and with which you would
      really connect. For example there is a huge population of very active
      and very political bloggers in Greensborro(sp?), NC that have been
      getting a lot of press lately. I've even seen some videos of the mayor
      and of some of the town coucils meetings there. Also, there's a
      project called Go Skokie, which started as a student project in
      Skokie, IL. There's this one hyper local / community blog in something
      like New Jersy that uses a tremendous amount of local photography and
      information submitted by the community. Very collaborative.

      Localized / Community blogs are perhaps the most amazing aspect of the
      whole blogging thing. How small traditional communities are starting
      to utilize these technologies. Dan Gilmore (blogger/journalist
      extrodinaire) writes on this alot. Anyway, hopefully I'll be ale to
      get you some much more specific information (URLS) in future posts,
      but this post is already to long.

      In summary your intentions are not perhaps noble. They rock. If you
      proceed in the direction you're going you'll be doing the community a
      an increasing service. This sort of community outreach is just the
      sort of way to promote a local ISP, tourism, a local newspaper, a
      local design shop or other local business. By including the community
      in the daily dealings it brings a tremendous amount of local word of
      mouth attention, participation, and most of all credibility and trust.

      Peace,

      Mike
      Michael Meiser
      http://mmeiser.com/blog - fun stuff
      http://mmeiser.com/backchannel - thinking stuff

      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "bayareablog" <mike@b...> wrote:

      > i may not belong...
      >
      > i guess my take is to log others...to me it's more interesting :)
      >
      > that's probably cause I'm boring ;)
      >
      > i don't want to muddy the waters of what your group is doing...i
      > like it!
      >
      > i still think my intentions are nobel (promoting local charities,
      > bands, artists, and even small family-owned businesses
      > advertising)...and RSS, podcasting, internet radio, etc are all
      > applicable so I wasn't sure where I fit (if at all)
    • jeff1778
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 1, 2005
        Rainbow is a trout.

        Jeffrey Wagner
        VP Marketing & Sales
        VideaScope.com
        Wagner@...
        www.onlinevideoresume.com
        209-832-9025

[...]

        From a usablity perspective opening up your format with somthing such
> [...]

        mouth attention, participation, and most of all credibility and trust.

        Peace,

        Mike
        Michael Meiser
        http://mmeiser.com/blog - fun stuff
        http://mmeiser.com/backchannel - thinking stuff

        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "bayareablog" <mike@b...> wrote:

        > i may not belong...
        >
        > i guess my take is to log others...to me it's more interesting :)
        >
        > that's probably cause I'm boring ;)
        >
        > i don't want to muddy the waters of what your group is doing...i
        > like it!
        >
        > i still think my intentions are nobel (promoting local charities,
        > bands, artists, and even small family-owned businesses
        > advertising)...and RSS, podcasting, internet radio, etc are all
        > applicable so I wasn't sure where I fit (if at all)

      • ryanne hodson
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 1, 2005
          i swear a lot
          but since steve pointed it out to me (sometimes i dont notice)
          i have tried to curb my swearing on the list.
          this has helped me in my personal and professional life as well.
          though i do like the ocassional 'fuck'
          if you catch my driftage.

          fuck,
          ryanne

          On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 13:07:34 -0500, Steve Garfield
          <steve@...> wrote:

          > Your poll asks, "Do you mind swearing?"
          >
          > I'd suggest a different wording of the question.
          >
          > Maybe, "Should people refrain from swearing on the list?"
          >
          > You might personally not mind swearing, but want to keep it clean for 8
          > year old video blogging list members.
          >
          > On Feb 1, 2005, at 12:37 PM, Steve Watkins wrote:
          >
          > > Personally bad language to me means stuff
          > > that nobody can understand, rather than swearing, and when people
          > > say "please dont swear" I want to swear a lot lol.
          > --Steve
          > http://stevegarfield.com

          new videos daily:
          http://ryanedit.blogspot.com

          RSS (subscribe to my blog):
          http://feeds.feedburner.com/RyannesVideoBlog

          What is RSS Ryan?
          http://news.yahoo.com/rss

          ~Ryan Hodson~
          Video Editor/Producer
          http://ryanedit.com
        • Amy Carpenter
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 1, 2005
            I wrote "crud" earlier, and then realized that it has
            four letters.
            I am now compiling a list of excellent four-letter
            words that are not swears.

            I too have benefitted from becoming more aware of the
            proliferation of the ubiquitous f*ck.

            dope!

            ~Amy

            ---------------------------------

            <steve@...> wrote:

            > Your poll asks, "Do you mind swearing?"
            >
            > I'd suggest a different wording of the question.
            >
            > Maybe, "Should people refrain from swearing on the
            list?"

            > You might personally not mind swearing, but want to
            keep it clean for 8
            > year old video blogging list members.
            >
            > On Feb 1, 2005, at 12:37 PM, Steve Watkins wrote:
            >
            > > Personally bad language to me means stuff
            > > that nobody can understand, rather than swearing,
            and when people
            > > say "please dont swear" I want to swear a lot lol.
            > --Steve
            > http://stevegarfield.com

            new videos daily:
            http://ryanedit.blogspot.com

            RSS (subscribe to my blog):
            http://feeds.feedburner.com/RyannesVideoBlog

            What is RSS Ryan?
            http://news.yahoo.com/rss

            ~Ryan Hodson~
            Video Editor/Producer
            http://ryanedit.com

            Terms of Service.

            =====
            Amy Carpenter
            Cowboygirl Productions

            339.225.1398
            516 East 2nd Street
            Box 44
            South Boston, MA
            02127
            www.cowboygirlproductions.com

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • Mat
            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 1, 2005
              In Ireland I picked up the expletive Feck...
              Its used constantly and rarely raises any objections in public ---- its
              like everyone has accepted that it makes a very satifying expletive that
              despite its similarities to another more vulgar acronym it is
              significantly different enough to occasion its polite use!

              mat.

            • Steve Garfield
              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 1, 2005
                Accorfing to Wikipedia
                http://www.answers.com/feck&r=67

                Feck

                Irish curse, used freely in the sitcom Father Ted. Assumed to be an
                alternative word for f*ck, although it should be noted the word does
                not carry as much offence, and is quite commonly used in Ireland in the
                same manner that bugger is used in Australia. Also an archaic
                shortening of 'effect'.

                As a parody of French Connection's fcuk label, "Fcek - Irish
                Connection" has been seen on t-shirts.

                On Feb 1, 2005, at 8:27 PM, Mat wrote:

                > Feck

                --Steve
                http://stevegarfield.com
              • Mat
                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 1, 2005
                  Hilarious...I forgot it came from Father Ted...but of course.

                  yem- we say bugger a lot but I think the usage is completly different to
                  what some people 'up there' think it might be......

                  for us if it's buggered its broken...it generally refers to a
                  machine of some sort and carries no connotation of the profane. It has
                  recently been the focus of a prime time TVC where the punch line to a
                  series of unfortunate coincidences ends with the stoic proclamation
                  'bugger'.

                  we might also say 'bugger it' which just means 'I can't be bothered with it'

                  Steve Garfield wrote:

                  > Accorfing to Wikipedia
                  > http://www.answers.com/feck&r=67 <http://www.answers.com/feck&r=67>
                  >
                  > Feck
                  >
                  > Irish curse, used freely in the sitcom Father Ted. Assumed to be an
                  > alternative word for f*ck, although it should be noted the word does
                  > not carry as much offence, and is quite commonly used in Ireland in the
                  > same manner that bugger is used in Australia. Also an archaic
                  > shortening of 'effect'.
                  >
                  > As a parody of French Connection's fcuk label, "Fcek - Irish
                  > Connection" has been seen on t-shirts.
                  >

                  > On Feb 1, 2005, at 8:27 PM, Mat wrote:
                  >
                  > > Feck
                  >
                  > --Steve
                  > http://stevegarfield.com
                  >

                  > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*

                • Adrian Miles
                  Message 8 of 27 , Feb 1, 2005
                    around the 2/2/05 Mat mentioned about Re: [videoblogging] Re: bad
                    language that:
                    > for us if it's buggered its broken...it generally refers to a
                    >machine of some sort and carries no connotation of the profane. It has
                    >recently been the focus of a prime time TVC where the punch line to a
                    >series of unfortunate coincidences ends with the stoic proclamation
                    >'bugger'.

                    we also have 'bugger off' which depending on context, tone, and
                    demeanor can be friendly through to offensive. my 6 year old uses it
                    all the time "ah, you're a bummy bugger". while i'm not specifically
                    sure that that particular combination means, neither word enters my
                    definition of offensive in ostralyean colloquial english.

                    --
                    cheers
                    Adrian Miles
                    Message 9 of 27 , Feb 1, 2005
                      There you have it - direct from the buggered aussie academy! of course
                      your six year old remembers the noun usage..... struth! he's a tricky
                      little bugger ay?

                      sorry for off topic chatter - finished now I promise.

                      m.

                      Adrian Miles wrote:

                      > around the 2/2/05 Mat mentioned about Re: [videoblogging] Re: bad
                      > language that:
                      > > for us if it's buggered its broken...it generally refers to a
                      > >machine of some sort and carries no connotation of the profane. It has
                      > >recently been the focus of a prime time TVC where the punch line to a
                      > >series of unfortunate coincidences ends with the stoic proclamation
                      > >'bugger'.
                      >
                      > we also have 'bugger off' which depending on context, tone, and
                      > demeanor can be friendly through to offensive. my 6 year old uses it
                      > all the time "ah, you're a bummy bugger". while i'm not specifically
                      > sure that that particular combination means, neither word enters my
                      > definition of offensive in ostralyean colloquial english.
                      >
                      > >we might also say 'bugger it' which just means 'I can't be bothered
                      > with it'
                      >

                      > --
                      > cheers
                      > Adrian Miles

                    • Adrian Miles
                      Message 10 of 27 , Feb 1, 2005
                        around the 2/2/05 Mat mentioned about Re: [videoblogging] Re: bad
                        language that:
                        >There you have it - direct from the buggered aussie academy! of course
                        >your six year old remembers the noun usage..... struth! he's a tricky
                        >little bugger ay?

                        too right. he's fair dinkum about it too.

                        ooroo
                        (and that's the end of that)
                        --
                        cheers
                        Adrian Miles
                        Message 11 of 27 , Feb 1, 2005
                          i always wanted to know what fair dinkum ment
                          please enlighten me.
                        • bayareablog
                          Message 12 of 27 , Feb 1, 2005
                            excellent comments!

                            I have very thick skin so hurl away!!! Criticism is something I
                            crave.

                            I always erase previous posts as they distract me but you mentioned
                            usability and that too is important to me.

                            I formatted the video for 100kbs and it presented such a poor
                            quality that I opted for 125...and 500kbs for DSL. People (not you)
                            want it all...but there are necessary tradeoffs as I'm sure you are
                            well aware.

                            Same with quicktime. Formatting, uploading, etc. etc. in quicktime
                            is ironically not "quick-time"...not that it is in and of itself
                            alot but it is one more thing on an already overloaded plate.

                            Ditto for commentary.

                            All of these issues were considered at length...and are considered
                            constantly...like I'm sure you do.

                            On balance, to date, the status quo allows me to tape and post the
                            maximum number of videos and that criteria has been at the top of my
                            list.

                            I currently have 4-5 videos in production and my goal has been to
                            get out as many as possible at all times.

                            That was / is my thinking. Hope I don't sound defensive (I'm really
                            not).

                            Thanks for your kind words,

                            mike
                            mike@...
                          • Deirdre Straughan
                            Message 13 of 27 , Feb 2, 2005
                              On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 02:08:18 -0000, bayareablog <mike@...> wrote:

                              > i may not belong...
                              > i guess my take is to log others...to me it's more interesting :)
                              > i don't want to muddy the waters of what your group is doing...i
                              > like it!
                              >
                              > i still think my intentions are nobel (promoting local charities,
                              > bands, artists, and even small family-owned businesses
                              > advertising)...and RSS, podcasting, internet radio, etc are all
                              > applicable so I wasn't sure where I fit (if at all)

                              Don't worry about fitting in. There's no such thing in blogs or
                              videoblogs either. Some purists might insist that what I'm doing is
                              not blogging because I don't post it using blog software (blogger
                              etc.), but to a website that I already had. And I don't tend to get in
                              front of my own camera, preferring to look at things around me. And I
                              use Windows and Flash instead of a Mac and QuickTime, which seem to be
                              numerically prevalent in this group.

                              But it's all fine. Keep doing what you're doing, and no one will kick
                              you out of this group.

                              --
                              best regards,
                              Deirdré Straughan
                              Message 14 of 27 , Feb 2, 2005
                                > In Ireland I picked up the expletive Feck...

                                Ha! I completely forgot about this. I went to catholic highschool
                                and we said Feck all the time. Also, if we were being sarcastic we'd
                                say "Fic" (pronounced Feek), e.g.:
                                "Check out my new Camaro"
                                "Well fic, you're Knight Rider"

                                The priests couldn't yell at us cause we weren't really cursing.

                                Words are just symbols, so none of them are inherently "bad". People
                                just assign negative connotations to otherwise neutral words. Why is
                                "shit" more offensive than "excrement"? Less letters? I'll never
                                understand this stuff.

                                Fuck shit bitch damn hell. Copulate excrement female dog curse hades.

                                -Adam Quirk
                                bullemhead.com
                              • Adrian Miles
                                Message 15 of 27 , Feb 3, 2005
                                  around the 1/2/05 ryanne hodson mentioned about Re: [videoblogging]
                                  Re: bad language that:
                                  >i always wanted to know what fair dinkum ment
                                  >please enlighten me.

                                  it is probably the Australian equivalent of the North American 'real
                                  mccoy'. It's the real deal, we really mean it. If something is fair
                                  dinkum it is true, or authentic, or serious. Though the way it is
                                  often said you wouldn't tell that :-) You can use it as a response,
                                  so if something says "I saw an alien last night" you might reply
                                  "fair dinkum?" which means "are you serious?".

                                  --
                                  cheers
                                  Adrian Miles