Re: [videoblogging] Re: new member saying "hey"

  • Michael Meiser
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 1, 2005
      Ha, I just stumbled upon these completely hilarous 4 videos of some
      future monty pythoners. I think they've got talent. If you only have
      time for one, watch clip 3. And yes I do have a weird sense of humor.

      http://www.jbonline.org.uk/gandhi/

      And oh, sorry, i realize this doesn't have much to do with video
      blogging, other than their videos, I'll stop spamming you all next
      time. Cheers.

      As list-dad I would encourage people to think of a better way of
      expressing themselves that using profanity.

      On Feb 1, 2005, at 11:11 AM, petertheman wrote:

      > Don't let anyone tell you you're not a "real" videoblogger - fuck
      that.

      --Steve
      http://stevegarfield.com
    • Steve Watkins
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 1, 2005
        As self-proclaimed list-wierdo I have started a yahoo group poll on
        the subject of swearing. Personally bad language to me means stuff
        that nobody can understand, rather than swearing, and when people
        say "please dont swear" I want to swear a lot lol.

        Anyway I realise my opinion is just that, mine, and nobody elses, so
        I started a poll:

        Cheers

        Elbows of Steve

        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Steve Garfield <steve@o...>
        wrote:
        > Why does the list-mom use bad language?
        >
        > As list-dad I would encourage people to think of a better way of
        > expressing themselves that using profanity.
      • Steve Garfield
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 1, 2005
          Your poll asks, "Do you mind swearing?"

          I'd suggest a different wording of the question.

          Maybe, "Should people refrain from swearing on the list?"

          You might personally not mind swearing, but want to keep it clean for 8
          year old video blogging list members.

          On Feb 1, 2005, at 12:37 PM, Steve Watkins wrote:

          > Personally bad language to me means stuff
          > that nobody can understand, rather than swearing, and when people
          > say "please dont swear" I want to swear a lot lol.
          --Steve
          http://stevegarfield.com
        • mmeiser8
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 1, 2005
            This has been said many many times, but it can't be said enough.

            The sort of experimentation is exactly what videoblogging needs right
            now. The sky is the limit. That you'd be muddying the waters is
            absurd. To use your own water metaphor, you are in fact a colorful
            rainbow fish (whatever a rainbow fish is), and there cannever be to
            much variety in ths sea.

            That said I think it's overview time of some of the great areas video
            blogs are starting to branch out in. These are just some genral themes
            I've enoticed, please feel free to add your own.

            personal jornals - the most common

            travel diaries - can't think of any off hand

            mini shows - The Carol and Steve Show (Steve Garfield) and hopefully
            the Dylan, Grandma and Mike show (from Dylan and Michael verdi)...
            anyone remember thespot.com, the worlds first web based sitcom?

            news format shows - rocketboom.com

            hyper local / community news - bayareablog
            -love to see more of this

            Genral video / celebrating OPM (Other Peoples Media) - something I'm
            doing (mmeiser.com/blog), which will hopefully promote video blogging,
            video bloggers and artists who work in such things as flash, parody,
            and all the crazy video art forms

            activism blog networks - I think media matters is sort of doing this
            -I think they'll be huge growth in this arena as more people

            semi-professional / professional industry rags /networks - I haven't
            seen any yet, but you can bet as video blogging grows we're going to
            start see publishing upstarts like engadget, adrag go video

            collaboritive video blogs - ie. weeklyDV.com / tokyoDV.com/culture
            -I really, rally want to see more of these.

            community discussion shows - unmediated.org was going this route, but
            they haven't produced a new video in weeks

            Well, that's everything I can thing of.

            Btw, Some more feedback regarding your blog. Love it, great format,
            great idea, great editing. Now take this with a grain of salt because
            I'm a useability freak, but why the video in the Flash. This has been
            an ongoing debate here, but I can't see download status, and you have
            no controls on the video to even paus it let alone rewind or fast
            forward. I checked out all your videos and twice it stopped playing
            in the middle of a video, I assume do to network traffic, and the only
            option was for me to relaod and start from the begining.

            From a usablity perspective opening up your format with somthing such
            as Quicktime and opening up your blog format so there is more textual
            information and/or visuals with your video submissions, possibly even
            comments will make everything much more accessible, open and inviting.
            If you do want to continue to use flash I think there are some really
            great stock video controllers / widgets in Flash. That said take it
            with a grain of salt, the most important thing here is that your doing
            it, not that it's perfect, which is not to say it's not perfect. In
            fact in what it is, it is by it's naturem perfect. But perfection does
            not rule out evolution and change, which is what I'm talking about.

            Oh, one other thing. While you are doing stuff very locally which does
            mean the majority of your target market are not bleeding edge
            techno-wizards, I think you will find that there is a community of
            people doing exactly what you're doing (except not yet with video)
            which would greatly benefit from your input and with which you would
            really connect. For example there is a huge population of very active
            and very political bloggers in Greensborro(sp?), NC that have been
            getting a lot of press lately. I've even seen some videos of the mayor
            and of some of the town coucils meetings there. Also, there's a
            project called Go Skokie, which started as a student project in
            Skokie, IL. There's this one hyper local / community blog in something
            like New Jersy that uses a tremendous amount of local photography and
            information submitted by the community. Very collaborative.

            Localized / Community blogs are perhaps the most amazing aspect of the
            whole blogging thing. How small traditional communities are starting
            to utilize these technologies. Dan Gilmore (blogger/journalist
            extrodinaire) writes on this alot. Anyway, hopefully I'll be ale to
            get you some much more specific information (URLS) in future posts,
            but this post is already to long.

            In summary your intentions are not perhaps noble. They rock. If you
            proceed in the direction you're going you'll be doing the community a
            an increasing service. This sort of community outreach is just the
            sort of way to promote a local ISP, tourism, a local newspaper, a
            local design shop or other local business. By including the community
            in the daily dealings it brings a tremendous amount of local word of
            mouth attention, participation, and most of all credibility and trust.

            Peace,

            Mike
            Michael Meiser
            http://mmeiser.com/blog - fun stuff
            http://mmeiser.com/backchannel - thinking stuff

            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "bayareablog" <mike@b...> wrote:

            > i may not belong...
            >
            > i guess my take is to log others...to me it's more interesting :)
            >
            > that's probably cause I'm boring ;)
            >
            > i don't want to muddy the waters of what your group is doing...i
            > like it!
            >
            > i still think my intentions are nobel (promoting local charities,
            > bands, artists, and even small family-owned businesses
            > advertising)...and RSS, podcasting, internet radio, etc are all
            > applicable so I wasn't sure where I fit (if at all)
          • jeff1778
            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 1, 2005
              Rainbow is a trout.

              Jeffrey Wagner
              VP Marketing & Sales
              VideaScope.com
              Wagner@...
              www.onlinevideoresume.com
              209-832-9025

[...]

              From a usablity perspective opening up your format with somthing such
> [...]

              mouth attention, participation, and most of all credibility and trust.

              Peace,

              Mike
              Michael Meiser
              http://mmeiser.com/blog - fun stuff
              http://mmeiser.com/backchannel - thinking stuff

              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "bayareablog" <mike@b...> wrote:

              > i may not belong...
              >
              > i guess my take is to log others...to me it's more interesting :)
              >
              > that's probably cause I'm boring ;)
              >
              > i don't want to muddy the waters of what your group is doing...i
              > like it!
              >
              > i still think my intentions are nobel (promoting local charities,
              > bands, artists, and even small family-owned businesses
              > advertising)...and RSS, podcasting, internet radio, etc are all
              > applicable so I wasn't sure where I fit (if at all)

            • ryanne hodson
              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 1, 2005
                i swear a lot
                but since steve pointed it out to me (sometimes i dont notice)
                i have tried to curb my swearing on the list.
                this has helped me in my personal and professional life as well.
                though i do like the ocassional 'fuck'
                if you catch my driftage.

                fuck,
                ryanne

                On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 13:07:34 -0500, Steve Garfield
                <steve@...> wrote:

                > Your poll asks, "Do you mind swearing?"
                >
                > I'd suggest a different wording of the question.
                >
                > Maybe, "Should people refrain from swearing on the list?"
                >
                > You might personally not mind swearing, but want to keep it clean for 8
                > year old video blogging list members.
                >
                > On Feb 1, 2005, at 12:37 PM, Steve Watkins wrote:
                >
                > > Personally bad language to me means stuff
                > > that nobody can understand, rather than swearing, and when people
                > > say "please dont swear" I want to swear a lot lol.
                > --Steve
                > http://stevegarfield.com

                new videos daily:
                http://ryanedit.blogspot.com

                RSS (subscribe to my blog):
                http://feeds.feedburner.com/RyannesVideoBlog

                What is RSS Ryan?
                http://news.yahoo.com/rss

                ~Ryan Hodson~
                Video Editor/Producer
                http://ryanedit.com
              • Amy Carpenter
                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 1, 2005
                  I wrote "crud" earlier, and then realized that it has
                  four letters.
                  I am now compiling a list of excellent four-letter
                  words that are not swears.

                  I too have benefitted from becoming more aware of the
                  proliferation of the ubiquitous f*ck.

                  dope!

                  ~Amy

                  ---------------------------------

                  <steve@...> wrote:

                  > Your poll asks, "Do you mind swearing?"
                  >
                  > I'd suggest a different wording of the question.
                  >
                  > Maybe, "Should people refrain from swearing on the
                  list?"

                  > You might personally not mind swearing, but want to
                  keep it clean for 8
                  > year old video blogging list members.
                  >
                  > On Feb 1, 2005, at 12:37 PM, Steve Watkins wrote:
                  >
                  > > Personally bad language to me means stuff
                  > > that nobody can understand, rather than swearing,
                  and when people
                  > > say "please dont swear" I want to swear a lot lol.
                  > --Steve
                  > http://stevegarfield.com

                  new videos daily:
                  http://ryanedit.blogspot.com

                  RSS (subscribe to my blog):
                  http://feeds.feedburner.com/RyannesVideoBlog

                  What is RSS Ryan?
                  http://news.yahoo.com/rss

                  ~Ryan Hodson~
                  Video Editor/Producer
                  http://ryanedit.com

                  Terms of Service.

                  =====
                  Amy Carpenter
                  Cowboygirl Productions

                  339.225.1398
                  516 East 2nd Street
                  Box 44
                  South Boston, MA
                  02127
                  www.cowboygirlproductions.com

                  http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                • Mat
                  Message 8 of 27 , Feb 1, 2005
                    In Ireland I picked up the expletive Feck...
                    Its used constantly and rarely raises any objections in public ---- its
                    like everyone has accepted that it makes a very satifying expletive that
                    despite its similarities to another more vulgar acronym it is
                    significantly different enough to occasion its polite use!

                    mat.

                    Message 9 of 27 , Feb 1, 2005
                      Accorfing to Wikipedia
                      http://www.answers.com/feck&r=67

                      Feck

                      Irish curse, used freely in the sitcom Father Ted. Assumed to be an
                      alternative word for f*ck, although it should be noted the word does
                      not carry as much offence, and is quite commonly used in Ireland in the
                      same manner that bugger is used in Australia. Also an archaic
                      shortening of 'effect'.

                      As a parody of French Connection's fcuk label, "Fcek - Irish
                      Connection" has been seen on t-shirts.

                      On Feb 1, 2005, at 8:27 PM, Mat wrote:

                      > Feck

                      --Steve
                      http://stevegarfield.com
                    • Mat
                      Message 10 of 27 , Feb 1, 2005
                        Hilarious...I forgot it came from Father Ted...but of course.

                        yem- we say bugger a lot but I think the usage is completly different to
                        what some people 'up there' think it might be......

                        for us if it's buggered its broken...it generally refers to a
                        machine of some sort and carries no connotation of the profane. It has
                        recently been the focus of a prime time TVC where the punch line to a
                        series of unfortunate coincidences ends with the stoic proclamation
                        'bugger'.

                        we might also say 'bugger it' which just means 'I can't be bothered with it'

                        Steve Garfield wrote:

                        > Accorfing to Wikipedia
                        > http://www.answers.com/feck&r=67 <http://www.answers.com/feck&r=67>
                        >
                        > Feck
                        >
                        > Irish curse, used freely in the sitcom Father Ted. Assumed to be an
                        > alternative word for f*ck, although it should be noted the word does
                        > not carry as much offence, and is quite commonly used in Ireland in the
                        > same manner that bugger is used in Australia. Also an archaic
                        > shortening of 'effect'.
                        >
                        > As a parody of French Connection's fcuk label, "Fcek - Irish
                        > Connection" has been seen on t-shirts.
                        >

                        > On Feb 1, 2005, at 8:27 PM, Mat wrote:
                        >
                        > > Feck
                        >
                        > --Steve
                        > http://stevegarfield.com
                        >

                        > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*

                      • Adrian Miles
                        Message 11 of 27 , Feb 1, 2005
                          around the 2/2/05 Mat mentioned about Re: [videoblogging] Re: bad
                          language that:
                          > for us if it's buggered its broken...it generally refers to a
                          >machine of some sort and carries no connotation of the profane. It has
                          >recently been the focus of a prime time TVC where the punch line to a
                          >series of unfortunate coincidences ends with the stoic proclamation
                          >'bugger'.

                          we also have 'bugger off' which depending on context, tone, and
                          demeanor can be friendly through to offensive. my 6 year old uses it
                          all the time "ah, you're a bummy bugger". while i'm not specifically
                          sure that that particular combination means, neither word enters my
                          definition of offensive in ostralyean colloquial english.

                          --
                          cheers
                          Adrian Miles
                          Message 12 of 27 , Feb 1, 2005
                            There you have it - direct from the buggered aussie academy! of course
                            your six year old remembers the noun usage..... struth! he's a tricky
                            little bugger ay?

                            sorry for off topic chatter - finished now I promise.

                            m.

                            Adrian Miles wrote:

                            > around the 2/2/05 Mat mentioned about Re: [videoblogging] Re: bad
                            > language that:
                            > > for us if it's buggered its broken...it generally refers to a
                            > >machine of some sort and carries no connotation of the profane. It has
                            > >recently been the focus of a prime time TVC where the punch line to a
                            > >series of unfortunate coincidences ends with the stoic proclamation
                            > >'bugger'.
                            >
                            > we also have 'bugger off' which depending on context, tone, and
                            > demeanor can be friendly through to offensive. my 6 year old uses it
                            > all the time "ah, you're a bummy bugger". while i'm not specifically
                            > sure that that particular combination means, neither word enters my
                            > definition of offensive in ostralyean colloquial english.
                            >
                            > >we might also say 'bugger it' which just means 'I can't be bothered
                            > with it'
                            >

                            > --
                            > cheers
                            > Adrian Miles

                          • Adrian Miles
                            Message 13 of 27 , Feb 1, 2005
                              around the 2/2/05 Mat mentioned about Re: [videoblogging] Re: bad
                              language that:
                              >There you have it - direct from the buggered aussie academy! of course
                              >your six year old remembers the noun usage..... struth! he's a tricky
                              >little bugger ay?

                              too right. he's fair dinkum about it too.

                              ooroo
                              (and that's the end of that)
                              --
                              cheers
                              Adrian Miles
                              Message 14 of 27 , Feb 1, 2005
                                i always wanted to know what fair dinkum ment
                                please enlighten me.
                              • bayareablog
                                Message 15 of 27 , Feb 1, 2005
                                  excellent comments!

                                  I have very thick skin so hurl away!!! Criticism is something I
                                  crave.

                                  I always erase previous posts as they distract me but you mentioned
                                  usability and that too is important to me.

                                  I formatted the video for 100kbs and it presented such a poor
                                  quality that I opted for 125...and 500kbs for DSL. People (not you)
                                  want it all...but there are necessary tradeoffs as I'm sure you are
                                  well aware.

                                  Same with quicktime. Formatting, uploading, etc. etc. in quicktime
                                  is ironically not "quick-time"...not that it is in and of itself
                                  alot but it is one more thing on an already overloaded plate.

                                  Ditto for commentary.

                                  All of these issues were considered at length...and are considered
                                  constantly...like I'm sure you do.

                                  On balance, to date, the status quo allows me to tape and post the
                                  maximum number of videos and that criteria has been at the top of my
                                  list.

                                  I currently have 4-5 videos in production and my goal has been to
                                  get out as many as possible at all times.

                                  That was / is my thinking. Hope I don't sound defensive (I'm really
                                  not).

                                  Thanks for your kind words,

                                  mike
                                  mike@...
                                • Deirdre Straughan
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Feb 2, 2005
                                    On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 02:08:18 -0000, bayareablog <mike@...> wrote:

                                    > i may not belong...
                                    > i guess my take is to log others...to me it's more interesting :)
                                    > i don't want to muddy the waters of what your group is doing...i
                                    > like it!
                                    >
                                    > i still think my intentions are nobel (promoting local charities,
                                    > bands, artists, and even small family-owned businesses
                                    > advertising)...and RSS, podcasting, internet radio, etc are all
                                    > applicable so I wasn't sure where I fit (if at all)

                                    Don't worry about fitting in. There's no such thing in blogs or
                                    videoblogs either. Some purists might insist that what I'm doing is
                                    not blogging because I don't post it using blog software (blogger
                                    etc.), but to a website that I already had. And I don't tend to get in
                                    front of my own camera, preferring to look at things around me. And I
                                    use Windows and Flash instead of a Mac and QuickTime, which seem to be
                                    numerically prevalent in this group.

                                    But it's all fine. Keep doing what you're doing, and no one will kick
                                    you out of this group.

                                    --
                                    best regards,
                                    Deirdré Straughan
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Feb 2, 2005
                                      > In Ireland I picked up the expletive Feck...

                                      Ha! I completely forgot about this. I went to catholic highschool
                                      and we said Feck all the time. Also, if we were being sarcastic we'd
                                      say "Fic" (pronounced Feek), e.g.:
                                      "Check out my new Camaro"
                                      "Well fic, you're Knight Rider"

                                      The priests couldn't yell at us cause we weren't really cursing.

                                      Words are just symbols, so none of them are inherently "bad". People
                                      just assign negative connotations to otherwise neutral words. Why is
                                      "shit" more offensive than "excrement"? Less letters? I'll never
                                      understand this stuff.

                                      Fuck shit bitch damn hell. Copulate excrement female dog curse hades.

                                      -Adam Quirk
                                      bullemhead.com
                                    • Adrian Miles
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Feb 3, 2005
                                        around the 1/2/05 ryanne hodson mentioned about Re: [videoblogging]
                                        Re: bad language that:
                                        >i always wanted to know what fair dinkum ment
                                        >please enlighten me.

                                        it is probably the Australian equivalent of the North American 'real
                                        mccoy'. It's the real deal, we really mean it. If something is fair
                                        dinkum it is true, or authentic, or serious. Though the way it is
                                        often said you wouldn't tell that :-) You can use it as a response,
                                        so if something says "I saw an alien last night" you might reply
                                        "fair dinkum?" which means "are you serious?".

                                        --
                                        cheers
                                        Adrian Miles