yet another ant and me-tv question

  • Matthew Stenzel
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2005
      Ok, once ANT downloads an entry from someones feed, is it impossible to re-download a
      feed (lets say if I accidently deleted the video but still want it). I try to refresh the feed, but
      it says 'no new media files' or whatever it says. Hmmmm... Jay, you there? :)

      Ok, on to Me-TV... when Me-TV gets an RSS feed from a website that is bookmarked, does
      it save the feed and once the feed is saved, doesn't update any existing entries? See, I
      changed a few things around on a previous blog/vlog entry, yet, Me-TV still shows the one
      that it first picked up when I bookmarked the site. I don't know, the original feed works,
      but I'd like to see the newest edit on Me-TV.

      ~Matt
    • jonnygoldstein
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2005
        Hey again. OK, I tried doing everything Josh recommended and now when
        I go to refresh
        my feed it says checking feed for 20 minutes and nothing is happening:

        I'm sure I screwed something up, so here is what I did. If anyone
        sees my error, I'd be
        grateful if you could point it out to me.

        1)In my RSS 1 and 2 templates changed the description tag from:

        <description><$MTEntryExcerpt encode_xml="1"$></description>

        <description><$MTEntryBody encode_xml="1" remove_html="0"
        $></description>

        Here are the actual index templates

        This is the RSS 1.0 template:
        ___________________________

        <?xml version="1.0" encoding="<$MTPublishCharset$>"?>

        <rdf:RDF
        xmlns:sy="http://purl.org/rss/1.0/modules/syndication/"
        xmlns:admin="http://webns.net/mvcb/"
        xmlns:cc="http://web.resource.org/cc/"
        xmlns="http://purl.org/rss/1.0/">

        <channel rdf:about="<$MTBlogURL$>">
        <title><$MTBlogName encode_xml="1"$></title>
        <link><$MTBlogURL$></link>
        <description><$MTBlogDescription remove_html="1" e
        ncode_xml="1"$></description>
        <dc:language>en-us</dc:language>
        <dc:creator></dc:creator>
        <dc:date><MTEntries lastn="1"><$MTEntryDate format
        ="%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S"
        language="en"$><$MTBlogTimezone$></MTEntries></dc:date>
        <admin:generatorAgent rdf:resource="http://www.mov
        abletype.org/?v=<$MTVersion$>"
        />
        <MTBlogIfCCLicense>
        <cc:license rdf:resource="<$MTBlogCCLicenseURL$>" />
        </MTBlogIfCCLicense>

        <items>
        <rdf:Seq><MTEntries lastn="15">
        <rdf:li rdf:resource="<$MTEntryPermalink encode_xml="1"$>" />
        </MTEntries></rdf:Seq>
        </items>

        </channel>

        <MTEntries lastn="15">
        <item rdf:about="<$MTEntryPermalink encode_xml="1"$>">
        <title><$MTEntryTitle encode_xml="1"$></title>
        <link><$MTEntryPermalink encode_xml="1"$></link>
        <description><$MTEntryBody encode_xml="1" remove_html="0"
        $></description>
        <dc:subject><$MTEntryCategory encode_xml="1"$></dc:subject>
        <dc:creator><$MTEntryAuthor encode_xml="1"$></dc:creator>
        <dc:date><$MTEntryDate format="%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S"
        language="en"$><$MTBlogTimezone$></dc:date>
        </item>
        </MTEntries>

        </rdf:RDF>

        This is the RSS 2 template:
        (I have a feeling this is where I screwed up because initially I
        replace the wrong tag (the
        first description tag, instead of the one toward the end of the
        template index) and maybe I
        didn't restore that first tag correctly)
        __________________________________

        <?xml version="1.0" encoding="<$MTPublishCharset$>"?>
        <rss version="2.0">
        <channel>
        <title><$MTBlogName remove_html="1" encode_xml="1"$></title>
        <link><$MTBlogURL$></link>
        <description><$MTBlogDescription remove_html="1" e
        ncode_xml="1"$></description>
        <language>en-us</language>
        <copyright>Copyright <$MTDate format="%Y"$></copyright>
        <lastBuildDate><MTEntries lastn="1"><$MTEntryDate
        format_name="rfc822"$></
        MTEntries></lastBuildDate>
        <pubDate><$MTDate format_name="rfc822"$></pubDate>
        <generator>http://www.movabletype.org/?v=<$MTVersion$></generator>
        <docs>http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/tech/rss</docs>

        <MTEntries lastn="15">
        <item>
        <title><$MTEntryTitle remove_html="1" encode_xml="1"$></title>
        description><$MTEntryBody encode_xml="1" remove_html="0"
        $></description>

        <link><$MTEntryPermalink encode_xml="1"$></link>
        <guid><$MTEntryPermalink encode_xml="1"$></guid>
        <category><$MTEntryCategory remove_html="1" encode
        _xml="1"$></category>
        <pubDate><$MTEntryDate format_name="rfc822"$></pubDate>
        </item>
        </MTEntries>

        </channel>
        </rss>

        2)Then I put <a href="http://jonnygoldstein.com/alphabetlounge1.mov"
        rel="enclosure"></a> in my blog entry

        rel="enclosure">
        <OBJECT CLASSID="clsid:02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B"
        width="240"
        height="196"
        CODEBASE="http://www.apple.com/qtactivex/qtplugin.cab">
        <PARAM name="SRC" VALUE="http://www.jonnygoldstein
        .com/alphabetlounge1.mov">
        <PARAM name="AUTOPLAY" VALUE="false">
        <PARAM name="CONTROLLER" VALUE="true">
        <EMBED SRC="http://www.jonnygoldstein.com/alphabetlounge1.mov"
        width="240"
        height="196" AUTOPLAY="false" CONTROLLER="true" PLUGINSPAGE="http://
        www.apple.com/quicktime/download/">
        </EMBED>
        </OBJECT>
        </a>
        Creamsicles Maitre d'ed by
        Jonny, here's some of the flavor captured on video.

        3)Enabled the SmartCast feature within feedburner.

        Any advice hugely appreciated! I just want to be able to be syndicated via ANT since ANT is
        so danged cool.

        Jonny Goldstein

        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Joshua Kinberg <jkinberg@g...>
        wrote:
        > Hey Jonny,
        >
        > Me-TV is much more forgiving than ANT because ANT relies on RSS 2.0
        > feeds with enclosures whereas Me-TV scrapes your HTML for video
        links.

        > With that in mind, yout FeedBurner feed ain't got no enclosures.
        Could
        > be any combination of these three things:
        >
        > [1] Your default MoavableType RSS feed only provides excerpts of
        your
        > entries, not the full post. Here's the fix for MovableType:
        > <url: http://www.elise.com/mt/archives/000458sim
        ple_rss_customizations.php>

        > Changing from entry excerpt to full entries.
        > In the RSS 1.0/2.0 Index template, change the description tag from
        >
        > <description><$MTEntryExcerpt encode_xml="1"$></description>

        > <description><$MTEntryBody encode_xml="1" remove_html="0"
        $></description>

        > This will change the feed from the excerpt to the entry body. If you
        > use extended entries and want to include those as well, include an
        > MTEntryMore tag like so:
        >
        > <description><$MTEntryBody encode_xml="1" remove_html="0"
        > $><$MTEntryMore encode_xml="1" remove_html="0" $></description>
        >
        > Setting remove_html to zero in the code above will allow your RSS
        feed
        > to preserve any HTML style elements, making your feed more readable
        > for longer posts. Setting remove_html to "1" will remove these html
        > style elements and also remove any images you may have included in
        > your post.
        >
        > Save and rebuild your index template.
        >
        > [2] Provide a SECRET link to your video clip in you blog entry,
        > including the rel="enclosure" attribute, so that FeedBurner picks up
        > your video and makes an enclosure. It should look like this:

        > [3] Enable the SmartCast feature within feedburner. Note that this
        is
        > not the same as SmartFeed.
        >
        > Hope this helps.
        >
        > --Josh
        >
        > On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 03:49:58 -0000, jonnygoldstein <spamjonny@g...>
        wrote:

        > > So I just uploaded a new videoclip and made a blog post for it.
        How long before Ant is
        able
        > > to pick it up? 'Cause it isn't showing up, but I just did the
        blog post 5 minutes ago, so
        > > maybe that's normal?
        > >

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Andreas Haugstrup
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2005
          On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 15:24:00 -0000, Verdi <michael@...> wrote:

          > If you got to:
          > http://pingomatic.com/
          > Fill out that form and check the box for Feedburner.

          While you're there you should check off more boxes - at the very least
          Technorati.

          - Andreas
          --
          <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>
        • petertheman
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 1, 2005
            > Ok, on to Me-TV... when Me-TV gets an RSS feed from a website that
            is bookmarked, does
            > it save the feed and once the feed is saved, doesn't update any
            existing entries?

            Yes, that's how it works now. I would like to implement your
            suggestion, but I only have limited time (this is just my side
            project), and I have a bunch of more important features and bugfixes
            that need to be done first.... It's on the list though!

            Peter