Re: new member saying "hey"

  • petertheman
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 1, 2005
      > I hope this group doesn't get considered a place that encourages a
      particular kind of content.

      Not at all. We are all experimenting, and we should play around as
      much as we can. Diversity is good! Don't let anyone tell you you're
      not a "real" videoblogger - fuck that. Everyone who wants to call
      themselves a videoblogger is, in my eyes, a videoblogger. We can
      discuss all we want though, discussion is good.

      Cheers,
      Peter, who develops classification systems for a living.
    • Steve Garfield
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 1, 2005
        Why does the list-mom use bad language?

        As list-dad I would encourage people to think of a better way of
        expressing themselves that using profanity.

        On Feb 1, 2005, at 11:11 AM, petertheman wrote:

        > Don't let anyone tell you you're not a "real" videoblogger - fuck that.

        --Steve
        http://stevegarfield.com
      • Michael Meiser
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 1, 2005
          Ha, I just stumbled upon these completely hilarous 4 videos of some
          future monty pythoners. I think they've got talent. If you only have
          time for one, watch clip 3. And yes I do have a weird sense of humor.

          http://www.jbonline.org.uk/gandhi/

          And oh, sorry, i realize this doesn't have much to do with video
          blogging, other than their videos, I'll stop spamming you all next
          time. Cheers.

          As list-dad I would encourage people to think of a better way of
          expressing themselves that using profanity.

          On Feb 1, 2005, at 11:00 AM, petertheman wrote:

          > In my list-mom role: can everyone please trim their messages?

          On Feb 1, 2005, at 11:11 AM, petertheman wrote:

          > Don't let anyone tell you you're not a "real" videoblogger - fuck
          that.

          --Steve
          http://stevegarfield.com
        • Steve Watkins
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 1, 2005
            As self-proclaimed list-wierdo I have started a yahoo group poll on
            the subject of swearing. Personally bad language to me means stuff
            that nobody can understand, rather than swearing, and when people
            say "please dont swear" I want to swear a lot lol.

            Anyway I realise my opinion is just that, mine, and nobody elses, so
            I started a poll:

            Cheers

            Elbows of Steve

            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Steve Garfield <steve@o...>

            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 1, 2005
              Your poll asks, "Do you mind swearing?"

              I'd suggest a different wording of the question.

              Maybe, "Should people refrain from swearing on the list?"

              You might personally not mind swearing, but want to keep it clean for 8
              year old video blogging list members.

              On Feb 1, 2005, at 12:37 PM, Steve Watkins wrote:

              > Personally bad language to me means stuff
              > that nobody can understand, rather than swearing, and when people
              > say "please dont swear" I want to swear a lot lol.
              --Steve
              http://stevegarfield.com
            • mmeiser8
              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 1, 2005
                This has been said many many times, but it can't be said enough.

                The sort of experimentation is exactly what videoblogging needs right
                now. The sky is the limit. That you'd be muddying the waters is
                absurd. To use your own water metaphor, you are in fact a colorful
                rainbow fish (whatever a rainbow fish is), and there cannever be to
                much variety in ths sea.

                That said I think it's overview time of some of the great areas video
                blogs are starting to branch out in. These are just some genral themes
                I've enoticed, please feel free to add your own.

                personal jornals - the most common

                travel diaries - can't think of any off hand

                mini shows - The Carol and Steve Show (Steve Garfield) and hopefully
                the Dylan, Grandma and Mike show (from Dylan and Michael verdi)...
                anyone remember thespot.com, the worlds first web based sitcom?

                news format shows - rocketboom.com

                hyper local / community news - bayareablog
                -love to see more of this

                Genral video / celebrating OPM (Other Peoples Media) - something I'm
                doing (mmeiser.com/blog), which will hopefully promote video blogging,
                video bloggers and artists who work in such things as flash, parody,
                and all the crazy video art forms

                activism blog networks - I think media matters is sort of doing this
                -I think they'll be huge growth in this arena as more people

                semi-professional / professional industry rags /networks - I haven't
                seen any yet, but you can bet as video blogging grows we're going to
                start see publishing upstarts like engadget, adrag go video

                collaboritive video blogs - ie. weeklyDV.com / tokyoDV.com/culture
                -I really, rally want to see more of these.

                community discussion shows - unmediated.org was going this route, but
                they haven't produced a new video in weeks

                Well, that's everything I can thing of.

                Btw, Some more feedback regarding your blog. Love it, great format,
                great idea, great editing. Now take this with a grain of salt because
                I'm a useability freak, but why the video in the Flash. This has been
                an ongoing debate here, but I can't see download status, and you have
                no controls on the video to even paus it let alone rewind or fast
                forward. I checked out all your videos and twice it stopped playing
                in the middle of a video, I assume do to network traffic, and the only
                option was for me to relaod and start from the begining.

                From a usablity perspective opening up your format with somthing such
                as Quicktime and opening up your blog format so there is more textual
                information and/or visuals with your video submissions, possibly even
                comments will make everything much more accessible, open and inviting.
                If you do want to continue to use flash I think there are some really
                great stock video controllers / widgets in Flash. That said take it
                with a grain of salt, the most important thing here is that your doing
                it, not that it's perfect, which is not to say it's not perfect. In
                fact in what it is, it is by it's naturem perfect. But perfection does
                not rule out evolution and change, which is what I'm talking about.

                Oh, one other thing. While you are doing stuff very locally which does
                mean the majority of your target market are not bleeding edge
                techno-wizards, I think you will find that there is a community of
                people doing exactly what you're doing (except not yet with video)
                which would greatly benefit from your input and with which you would
                really connect. For example there is a huge population of very active
                and very political bloggers in Greensborro(sp?), NC that have been
                getting a lot of press lately. I've even seen some videos of the mayor
                and of some of the town coucils meetings there. Also, there's a
                project called Go Skokie, which started as a student project in
                Skokie, IL. There's this one hyper local / community blog in something
                like New Jersy that uses a tremendous amount of local photography and
                information submitted by the community. Very collaborative.

                Localized / Community blogs are perhaps the most amazing aspect of the
                whole blogging thing. How small traditional communities are starting
                to utilize these technologies. Dan Gilmore (blogger/journalist
                extrodinaire) writes on this alot. Anyway, hopefully I'll be ale to
                get you some much more specific information (URLS) in future posts,
                but this post is already to long.

                In summary your intentions are not perhaps noble. They rock. If you
                proceed in the direction you're going you'll be doing the community a
                an increasing service. This sort of community outreach is just the
                sort of way to promote a local ISP, tourism, a local newspaper, a
                local design shop or other local business. By including the community
                in the daily dealings it brings a tremendous amount of local word of
                mouth attention, participation, and most of all credibility and trust.

                Peace,

                Mike
                Michael Meiser
                http://mmeiser.com/blog - fun stuff
                http://mmeiser.com/backchannel - thinking stuff

                --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "bayareablog" <mike@b...> wrote:

                > i may not belong...
                >
                > i guess my take is to log others...to me it's more interesting :)
                >
                > that's probably cause I'm boring ;)
                >
                > i don't want to muddy the waters of what your group is doing...i
                > like it!
                >
                > i still think my intentions are nobel (promoting local charities,
                > bands, artists, and even small family-owned businesses
                > advertising)...and RSS, podcasting, internet radio, etc are all
                > applicable so I wasn't sure where I fit (if at all)
              • jeff1778
                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 1, 2005
                  Rainbow is a trout.

                  Jeffrey Wagner
                  VP Marketing & Sales
                  VideaScope.com
                  Wagner@...
                  www.onlinevideoresume.com
                  209-832-9025

[...]

                  From a usablity perspective opening up your format with somthing such
> [...]

                  mouth attention, participation, and most of all credibility and trust.

                  Peace,

                  Mike
                  Michael Meiser
                  http://mmeiser.com/blog - fun stuff
                  http://mmeiser.com/backchannel - thinking stuff

                  --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "bayareablog" <mike@b...> wrote:

                  > i may not belong...
                  >
                  > i guess my take is to log others...to me it's more interesting :)
                  >
                  > that's probably cause I'm boring ;)
                  >
                  > i don't want to muddy the waters of what your group is doing...i
                  > like it!
                  >
                  > i still think my intentions are nobel (promoting local charities,
                  > bands, artists, and even small family-owned businesses
                  > advertising)...and RSS, podcasting, internet radio, etc are all
                  > applicable so I wasn't sure where I fit (if at all)

                • ryanne hodson
                  Message 8 of 27 , Feb 1, 2005
                    i swear a lot
                    but since steve pointed it out to me (sometimes i dont notice)
                    i have tried to curb my swearing on the list.
                    this has helped me in my personal and professional life as well.
                    though i do like the ocassional 'fuck'
                    if you catch my driftage.

                    fuck,
                    ryanne

                    On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 13:07:34 -0500, Steve Garfield
                    <steve@...> wrote:

                    > Your poll asks, "Do you mind swearing?"
                    >
                    > I'd suggest a different wording of the question.
                    >
                    > Maybe, "Should people refrain from swearing on the list?"
                    >
                    > You might personally not mind swearing, but want to keep it clean for 8
                    > year old video blogging list members.
                    >
                    > On Feb 1, 2005, at 12:37 PM, Steve Watkins wrote:
                    >
                    > > Personally bad language to me means stuff
                    > > that nobody can understand, rather than swearing, and when people
                    > > say "please dont swear" I want to swear a lot lol.
                    > --Steve
                    > http://stevegarfield.com

                    new videos daily:
                    http://ryanedit.blogspot.com

                    RSS (subscribe to my blog):
                    http://feeds.feedburner.com/RyannesVideoBlog

                    What is RSS Ryan?
                    http://news.yahoo.com/rss

                    ~Ryan Hodson~
                    Video Editor/Producer
                    http://ryanedit.com
                  • Amy Carpenter
                    Message 9 of 27 , Feb 1, 2005
                      I wrote "crud" earlier, and then realized that it has
                      four letters.
                      I am now compiling a list of excellent four-letter
                      words that are not swears.

                      I too have benefitted from becoming more aware of the
                      proliferation of the ubiquitous f*ck.

                      dope!

                      ~Amy

                      ---------------------------------

                      <steve@...> wrote:

                      > Your poll asks, "Do you mind swearing?"
                      >
                      > I'd suggest a different wording of the question.
                      >
                      > Maybe, "Should people refrain from swearing on the
                      list?"

                      > You might personally not mind swearing, but want to
                      keep it clean for 8
                      > year old video blogging list members.
                      >
                      > On Feb 1, 2005, at 12:37 PM, Steve Watkins wrote:
                      >
                      > > Personally bad language to me means stuff
                      > > that nobody can understand, rather than swearing,
                      and when people
                      > > say "please dont swear" I want to swear a lot lol.
                      > --Steve
                      > http://stevegarfield.com

                      new videos daily:
                      http://ryanedit.blogspot.com

                      RSS (subscribe to my blog):
                      http://feeds.feedburner.com/RyannesVideoBlog

                      What is RSS Ryan?
                      http://news.yahoo.com/rss

                      ~Ryan Hodson~
                      Video Editor/Producer
                      http://ryanedit.com

                      Terms of Service.

                      =====
                      Amy Carpenter
                      Cowboygirl Productions

                      339.225.1398
                      516 East 2nd Street
                      Box 44
                      South Boston, MA
                      02127
                      www.cowboygirlproductions.com

                      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                    • Mat
                      Message 10 of 27 , Feb 1, 2005
                        In Ireland I picked up the expletive Feck...
                        Its used constantly and rarely raises any objections in public ---- its
                        like everyone has accepted that it makes a very satifying expletive that
                        despite its similarities to another more vulgar acronym it is
                        significantly different enough to occasion its polite use!

                        mat.

                        Message 11 of 27 , Feb 1, 2005
                          Accorfing to Wikipedia
                          http://www.answers.com/feck&r=67

                          Feck

                          Irish curse, used freely in the sitcom Father Ted. Assumed to be an
                          alternative word for f*ck, although it should be noted the word does
                          not carry as much offence, and is quite commonly used in Ireland in the
                          same manner that bugger is used in Australia. Also an archaic
                          shortening of 'effect'.

                          As a parody of French Connection's fcuk label, "Fcek - Irish
                          Connection" has been seen on t-shirts.

                          On Feb 1, 2005, at 8:27 PM, Mat wrote:

                          > Feck

                          --Steve
                          http://stevegarfield.com
                        • Mat
                          Message 12 of 27 , Feb 1, 2005
                            Hilarious...I forgot it came from Father Ted...but of course.

                            yem- we say bugger a lot but I think the usage is completly different to
                            what some people 'up there' think it might be......

                            for us if it's buggered its broken...it generally refers to a
                            machine of some sort and carries no connotation of the profane. It has
                            recently been the focus of a prime time TVC where the punch line to a
                            series of unfortunate coincidences ends with the stoic proclamation
                            'bugger'.

                            we might also say 'bugger it' which just means 'I can't be bothered with it'

                            Steve Garfield wrote:

                            > Accorfing to Wikipedia
                            > http://www.answers.com/feck&r=67 <http://www.answers.com/feck&r=67>
                            >
                            > Feck
                            >
                            > Irish curse, used freely in the sitcom Father Ted. Assumed to be an
                            > alternative word for f*ck, although it should be noted the word does
                            > not carry as much offence, and is quite commonly used in Ireland in the
                            > same manner that bugger is used in Australia. Also an archaic
                            > shortening of 'effect'.
                            >
                            > As a parody of French Connection's fcuk label, "Fcek - Irish
                            > Connection" has been seen on t-shirts.
                            >

                            > On Feb 1, 2005, at 8:27 PM, Mat wrote:
                            >
                            > > Feck
                            >
                            > --Steve
                            > http://stevegarfield.com
                            >

                            > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*

                          • Adrian Miles
                            Message 13 of 27 , Feb 1, 2005
                              around the 2/2/05 Mat mentioned about Re: [videoblogging] Re: bad
                              language that:
                              > for us if it's buggered its broken...it generally refers to a
                              >machine of some sort and carries no connotation of the profane. It has
                              >recently been the focus of a prime time TVC where the punch line to a
                              >series of unfortunate coincidences ends with the stoic proclamation
                              >'bugger'.

                              we also have 'bugger off' which depending on context, tone, and
                              demeanor can be friendly through to offensive. my 6 year old uses it
                              all the time "ah, you're a bummy bugger". while i'm not specifically
                              sure that that particular combination means, neither word enters my
                              definition of offensive in ostralyean colloquial english.

                              --
                              cheers
                              Adrian Miles
                              Message 14 of 27 , Feb 1, 2005
                                There you have it - direct from the buggered aussie academy! of course
                                your six year old remembers the noun usage..... struth! he's a tricky
                                little bugger ay?

                                sorry for off topic chatter - finished now I promise.

                                m.

                                Adrian Miles wrote:

                                > around the 2/2/05 Mat mentioned about Re: [videoblogging] Re: bad
                                > language that:
                                > > for us if it's buggered its broken...it generally refers to a
                                > >machine of some sort and carries no connotation of the profane. It has
                                > >recently been the focus of a prime time TVC where the punch line to a
                                > >series of unfortunate coincidences ends with the stoic proclamation
                                > >'bugger'.
                                >
                                > we also have 'bugger off' which depending on context, tone, and
                                > demeanor can be friendly through to offensive. my 6 year old uses it
                                > all the time "ah, you're a bummy bugger". while i'm not specifically
                                > sure that that particular combination means, neither word enters my
                                > definition of offensive in ostralyean colloquial english.
                                >
                                > >we might also say 'bugger it' which just means 'I can't be bothered
                                > with it'
                                >

                                > --
                                > cheers
                                > Adrian Miles

                              • Adrian Miles
                                Message 15 of 27 , Feb 1, 2005
                                  around the 2/2/05 Mat mentioned about Re: [videoblogging] Re: bad
                                  language that:
                                  >There you have it - direct from the buggered aussie academy! of course
                                  >your six year old remembers the noun usage..... struth! he's a tricky
                                  >little bugger ay?

                                  too right. he's fair dinkum about it too.

                                  ooroo
                                  (and that's the end of that)
                                  --
                                  cheers
                                  Adrian Miles
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Feb 1, 2005
                                    i always wanted to know what fair dinkum ment
                                    please enlighten me.
                                  • bayareablog
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Feb 1, 2005
                                      excellent comments!

                                      I have very thick skin so hurl away!!! Criticism is something I
                                      crave.

                                      I always erase previous posts as they distract me but you mentioned
                                      usability and that too is important to me.

                                      I formatted the video for 100kbs and it presented such a poor
                                      quality that I opted for 125...and 500kbs for DSL. People (not you)
                                      want it all...but there are necessary tradeoffs as I'm sure you are
                                      well aware.

                                      Same with quicktime. Formatting, uploading, etc. etc. in quicktime
                                      is ironically not "quick-time"...not that it is in and of itself
                                      alot but it is one more thing on an already overloaded plate.

                                      Ditto for commentary.

                                      All of these issues were considered at length...and are considered
                                      constantly...like I'm sure you do.

                                      On balance, to date, the status quo allows me to tape and post the
                                      maximum number of videos and that criteria has been at the top of my
                                      list.

                                      I currently have 4-5 videos in production and my goal has been to
                                      get out as many as possible at all times.

                                      That was / is my thinking. Hope I don't sound defensive (I'm really
                                      not).

                                      Thanks for your kind words,

                                      mike
                                      mike@...
                                    • Deirdre Straughan
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Feb 2, 2005
                                        On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 02:08:18 -0000, bayareablog <mike@...> wrote:

                                        > i may not belong...
                                        > i guess my take is to log others...to me it's more interesting :)
                                        > i don't want to muddy the waters of what your group is doing...i
                                        > like it!
                                        >
                                        > i still think my intentions are nobel (promoting local charities,
                                        > bands, artists, and even small family-owned businesses
                                        > advertising)...and RSS, podcasting, internet radio, etc are all
                                        > applicable so I wasn't sure where I fit (if at all)

                                        Don't worry about fitting in. There's no such thing in blogs or
                                        videoblogs either. Some purists might insist that what I'm doing is
                                        not blogging because I don't post it using blog software (blogger
                                        etc.), but to a website that I already had. And I don't tend to get in
                                        front of my own camera, preferring to look at things around me. And I
                                        use Windows and Flash instead of a Mac and QuickTime, which seem to be
                                        numerically prevalent in this group.

                                        But it's all fine. Keep doing what you're doing, and no one will kick
                                        you out of this group.

                                        --
                                        best regards,
                                        Deirdré Straughan
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Feb 2, 2005
                                          > In Ireland I picked up the expletive Feck...

                                          Ha! I completely forgot about this. I went to catholic highschool
                                          and we said Feck all the time. Also, if we were being sarcastic we'd
                                          say "Fic" (pronounced Feek), e.g.:
                                          "Check out my new Camaro"
                                          "Well fic, you're Knight Rider"

                                          The priests couldn't yell at us cause we weren't really cursing.

                                          Words are just symbols, so none of them are inherently "bad". People
                                          just assign negative connotations to otherwise neutral words. Why is
                                          "shit" more offensive than "excrement"? Less letters? I'll never
                                          understand this stuff.

                                          Fuck shit bitch damn hell. Copulate excrement female dog curse hades.

                                          -Adam Quirk
                                          bullemhead.com
                                        • Adrian Miles
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Feb 3, 2005
                                            around the 1/2/05 ryanne hodson mentioned about Re: [videoblogging]
                                            Re: bad language that:
                                            >i always wanted to know what fair dinkum ment
                                            >please enlighten me.

                                            it is probably the Australian equivalent of the North American 'real
                                            mccoy'. It's the real deal, we really mean it. If something is fair
                                            dinkum it is true, or authentic, or serious. Though the way it is
                                            often said you wouldn't tell that :-) You can use it as a response,
                                            so if something says "I saw an alien last night" you might reply
                                            "fair dinkum?" which means "are you serious?".

                                            --
                                            cheers
                                            Adrian Miles