Re: [videoblogging] glorious moment of subscription!

  • Brett Gaylor
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1, 2005
      > Let me know, as a new user who just went through it, if it's good
      > enough for the next new person.

      Having just tried to figure this out, I would say that you should
      specify in step #10 that the address for the quicktime file needs to be
      absolute (ie with the http://www.whatever.com)....I usually don't use
      absolute addresses, so it is a switch for some people.
    • Steve Garfield
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 1, 2005
        Thanks.

        I added this:

        The address for the QuickTime file needs to be absolute, like in this
        example with the http://www.website.com/ in front of your movie name.

        On Feb 1, 2005, at 9:47 AM, Brett Gaylor wrote:

        >> Let me know, as a new user who just went through it, if it's good
        >> enough for the next new person.
        >
        > Having just tried to figure this out, I would say that you should
        > specify in step #10 that the address for the quicktime file needs to be
        > absolute (ie with the http://www.whatever.com)....I usually don't use
        > absolute addresses, so it is a switch for some people.
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        --Steve
        http://stevegarfield.com
      • Amy Carpenter
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 1, 2005
          Let me know, as a new user who just went through it,
          if it's good enough for the next new person.

          hello!
          here are some thoughts...

          1)you might say exactly WHAT the "feed" is on the
          blogger page. for some people (like me) "feed" sounds
          intuitive, but beyond that, it means nothing
          technically...it's probably overly obvious, but in
          these recipes there really is a difference between
          baking powder and baking soda...

          2)you might say, first and foremost, "SKIP THE
          SMARTFEED option and FIND THE SMARTCAST choice".
          that's coming from someone who repeatedly had flat
          cookies...

          3)publicize, not size, right?

          4)is there supposed to be that extra quotation mark in
          the code for the secret page? that is probably
          obvious, like, "duh, those are the chocolate chips",
          but I'm new in this kitchen....newwwww....

          5)you might, at the very end put up something that
          goes like this: "NOW, to invite ALL of your goofy
          friends who are clueless about everything above but
          desperately would love to subscribe to your videos,
          have them go here...and then... " That would be
          priceless.

          (sigh) thanks again, mucho-mucho...

          ~Amy of Amyville, who deleted the below information
          and chose not to swear...(;

          =====
          Amy Carpenter
          Cowboygirl Productions

          339.225.1398
          516 East 2nd Street
          Box 44
          South Boston, MA
          02127
          www.cowboygirlproductions.com

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • Steve Garfield
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 1, 2005
            On Feb 1, 2005, at 1:49 PM, Amy Carpenter wrote:
            > 1)you might say exactly WHAT the "feed" is on the
            > blogger page. for some people (like me) "feed" sounds
            > intuitive, but beyond that, it means nothing
            > technically

            1. From blogger, grab your <a
            href="http://www.feedburner.com/fb/a/aboutrss">RSS</a> or ATOM feed and
            copy it.

            To do this, sign onto your Blogger account, click on the Settings tab,
            and then click Site Feed.

            Then where it says, "Site Feed URL", you'll see something that looks
            like this:

            style="font-weight:bold;">http://offonatangent.blogspot.com/rss/
            offonatangent.xml</span>

            Copy that.

            > 2)you might say, first and foremost, "SKIP THE SMARTFEED option and
            > FIND THE SMARTCAST choice".

            3. SKIP THE SMARTFEED option and FIND THE SMARTCAST choice.

            Choose the <strong>SmartCast</strong>™ option. Choose any other
            options that you might want and then click, "Update Feed."

            > 3)publicize, not size, right?

            Publicize

            > 4)is there supposed to be that extra quotation mark in
            > the code for the secret page? that is probably
            > obvious, like, "duh, those are the chocolate chips",
            > but I'm new in this kitchen....newwwww....

            Yay! Amy!!!

            Changed:

            to:

            > 5)you might, at the very end put up something that
            > goes like this: "NOW, to invite ALL of your goofy
            > friends who are clueless about everything above but
            > desperately would love to subscribe to your videos,
            > have them go here...and then... " That would be
            > priceless.

            NOW visitors to your site can subscribe to your videos by
            control-clicking, or right-clicking on the Feedburner chicklet image,
            copying your RSS 2.0 feed, and pasting that feed into their feedreader.

            That sounds like another lesson. ;-)

            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 1, 2005
              Changed:
              rel="enclosure"></a>

              to:
              rel="enclosure"></a>

              should it not instead be:

              rel="enclosure"></a>

              grrraaaasssshopppper! (does that make you the
              ant?...not the ANT, but the fable ant...?hmmm...)

              =====

              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 1, 2005
                Grasshopper,
                I had it right.

                Love that HTML enthusiasm!
                --Ant

                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 1, 2005
                  ohhh Ant, I'm so sad.
                  But relieved.
                  so wait, which is right, and why is that extra " in
                  there?
                  now I'm confused...must go play my little grasshopper
                  song...
                  oh wait, that's a cricket...
                  crud.
                  ~grasshopper.

                  --- Steve Garfield <steve@...> wrote:

                  ---------------------------------
                  Grasshopper,
                  I had it right.

                  Love that HTML enthusiasm!
                  --Ant

                  On Feb 1, 2005, at 2:55 PM, Amy Carpenter wrote:

                  > Changed:
                  > rel="enclosure"></a>
                  >
                  > to:
                  > rel="enclosure"></a>
                  >
                  > should it not instead be:

                  > rel="enclosure"></a>
                  >

                  > grrraaaasssshopppper! (does that make you the
                  > ant?...not the ANT, but the fable ant...?hmmm...)
                  >

                  > =====
                  > Amy Carpenter
                  > Cowboygirl Productions
                  >
                  > 339.225.1398
                  > 516 East 2nd Street
                  > Box 44
                  > South Boston, MA
                  > 02127
                  > www.cowboygirlproductions.com

                  --Steve
                  http://stevegarfield.com

                  Terms of Service.

                  =====
                  Amy Carpenter
                  Cowboygirl Productions

                  339.225.1398
                  516 East 2nd Street
                  Box 44
                  South Boston, MA
                  02127
                  www.cowboygirlproductions.com

                  http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo
                • Lisa Harper
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 1, 2005
                    Quick someone make a tutorial out of this!
                    Lisa
                    http://www.lisaharper.org

                    On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 14:27:06 -0500, Steve Garfield
                    <steve@...> wrote:

                    > On Feb 1, 2005, at 1:49 PM, Amy Carpenter wrote:
                    > > 1)you might say exactly WHAT the "feed" is on the
                    > > blogger page. for some people (like me) "feed" sounds
                    > > intuitive, but beyond that, it means nothing
                    > > technically
                    >
                    > 1. From blogger, grab your <a
                    > href="http://www.feedburner.com/fb/a/aboutrss">RSS</a> or ATOM feed and
                    > copy it.
                    >
                    > To do this, sign onto your Blogger account, click on the Settings tab,
                    > and then click Site Feed.
                    >
                    > Then where it says, "Site Feed URL", you'll see something that looks
                    > like this:

                    > style="font-weight:bold;">http://offonatangent.blogspot.com/rss/
                    > offonatangent.xml</span>
                    >
                    > Copy that.
                    >

                    > > 2)you might say, first and foremost, "SKIP THE SMARTFEED option and
                    > > FIND THE SMARTCAST choice".
                    >
                    > 3. SKIP THE SMARTFEED option and FIND THE SMARTCAST choice.
                    >
                    > Choose the <strong>SmartCast</strong>™ option. Choose any other
                    > options that you might want and then click, "Update Feed."
                    > >
                    > > 3)publicize, not size, right?
                    >
                    > Publicize
                    >
                    > > 4)is there supposed to be that extra quotation mark in
                    > > the code for the secret page? that is probably
                    > > obvious, like, "duh, those are the chocolate chips",
                    > > but I'm new in this kitchen....newwwww....
                    > >

                    > Yay! Amy!!!
                    >
                    > Changed:
                    >
                    > to:
                    >

                    > > 5)you might, at the very end put up something that
                    > > goes like this: "NOW, to invite ALL of your goofy
                    > > friends who are clueless about everything above but
                    > > desperately would love to subscribe to your videos,
                    > > have them go here...and then... " That would be
                    > > priceless.
                    > >

                    > NOW visitors to your site can subscribe to your videos by
                    > control-clicking, or right-clicking on the Feedburner chicklet image,
                    > copying your RSS 2.0 feed, and pasting that feed into their feedreader.
                    >
                    > That sounds like another lesson. ;-)
                    >

                    > > (sigh) thanks again, mucho-mucho...
                    > >
                    > > ~Amy of Amyville, who deleted the below information
                    > > and chose not to swear...(;
                    > >
                    > > =====
                    > > Amy Carpenter
                    > > Cowboygirl Productions
                    > >
                    > > 339.225.1398
                    > > 516 East 2nd Street
                    > > Box 44
                    > > South Boston, MA
                    > > 02127
                    > > www.cowboygirlproductions.com

                    > --Steve
                    > http://stevegarfield.com

                    Lisa Harper
                    http://www.lisaharper.org
                  • Steve Garfield
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 1, 2005
                      http://tinyurl.com/45u86

                      Tutorial made.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 2, 2005
                        Yea Steve!!
                        Lisa

                        On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 20:27:02 -0500, Steve Garfield
                        <steve@...> wrote:

                        > http://tinyurl.com/45u86
                        >
                        > Tutorial made.
                        >
                        > On Feb 1, 2005, at 7:23 PM, Lisa Harper wrote:
                        >
                        > > Quick someone make a tutorial out of this!
                        > >
                        > --Steve
                        > http://stevegarfield.com

                        Lisa Harper
                        http://www.lisaharper.org