ant question

  • jonnygoldstein
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 31, 2005
      So I just uploaded a new videoclip and made a blog post for it. How long before Ant is able
      to pick it up? 'Cause it isn't showing up, but I just did the blog post 5 minutes ago, so
      maybe that's normal?
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 31, 2005
        > So I just uploaded a new videoclip and made a blog post for it. How long before Ant is able
        > to pick it up? 'Cause it isn't showing up, but I just did the blog post 5 minutes ago, so
        > maybe that's normal?

        i think it has to do with the Feedburner.
        there are rumprs that its takes many hours for the feed to be updated.
        lets make this a test.
      • jonnygoldstein
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 31, 2005
          It showed up on me-tv really fast, for what that's worth.

          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@g...> wrote:
          > > So I just uploaded a new videoclip and made a blog post for it. How long before Ant is
          able
          > > to pick it up? 'Cause it isn't showing up, but I just did the blog post 5 minutes ago, so
          > > maybe that's normal?
          >
          > i think it has to do with the Feedburner.
          > there are rumprs that its takes many hours for the feed to be updated.
          > lets make this a test.
        • Joshua Kinberg
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 31, 2005
            Hey Jonny,

            Me-TV is much more forgiving than ANT because ANT relies on RSS 2.0
            feeds with enclosures whereas Me-TV scrapes your HTML for video links.

            With that in mind, yout FeedBurner feed ain't got no enclosures. Could
            be any combination of these three things:

            [1] Your default MoavableType RSS feed only provides excerpts of your
            entries, not the full post. Here's the fix for MovableType:
            <url: http://www.elise.com/mt/archives/000458simple_rss_customizations.php>

            Changing from entry excerpt to full entries.
            In the RSS 1.0/2.0 Index template, change the description tag from

            <description><$MTEntryExcerpt encode_xml="1"$></description>

            <description><$MTEntryBody encode_xml="1" remove_html="0" $></description>

            This will change the feed from the excerpt to the entry body. If you
            use extended entries and want to include those as well, include an
            MTEntryMore tag like so:

            <description><$MTEntryBody encode_xml="1" remove_html="0"
            $><$MTEntryMore encode_xml="1" remove_html="0" $></description>

            Setting remove_html to zero in the code above will allow your RSS feed
            to preserve any HTML style elements, making your feed more readable
            for longer posts. Setting remove_html to "1" will remove these html
            style elements and also remove any images you may have included in
            your post.

            Save and rebuild your index template.

            [2] Provide a SECRET link to your video clip in you blog entry,
            including the rel="enclosure" attribute, so that FeedBurner picks up
            your video and makes an enclosure. It should look like this:

            [3] Enable the SmartCast feature within feedburner. Note that this is
            not the same as SmartFeed.

            Hope this helps.

            --Josh

            On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 03:49:58 -0000, jonnygoldstein <spamjonny@...> wrote:

            > So I just uploaded a new videoclip and made a blog post for it. How long before Ant is able
            > to pick it up? 'Cause it isn't showing up, but I just did the blog post 5 minutes ago, so
            > maybe that's normal?
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Joshua Kinberg
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 1, 2005
              ANT will see your videos as soon as they appear in your feed. There is
              no wait. It should occur immediately when you publish... assuming your
              feed is set up correctly (must be RSS 2.0 with enclsosures).

              Me-TV (MeFeedia) does not rely on RSS feeds. It can also scrape your
              HTML, hence it is more forgiving because you don't have to figure out
              the RSS thing.

              -Josh

              On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 05:54:40 -0000, jonnygoldstein <spamjonny@...> wrote:

              > It showed up on me-tv really fast, for what that's worth.
              >

              > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@g...> wrote:
              > > > So I just uploaded a new videoclip and made a blog post for it. How long before Ant is
              > able
              > > > to pick it up? 'Cause it isn't showing up, but I just did the blog post 5 minutes ago, so
              > > > maybe that's normal?
              > >
              > > i think it has to do with the Feedburner.
              > > there are rumprs that its takes many hours for the feed to be updated.
              > > lets make this a test.
              >
              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Verdi
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 1, 2005
                If you got to:
                http://pingomatic.com/
                Fill out that form and check the box for Feedburner. Then hit the
                submit ping button. Then bookmark the resulting page! What you are
                doing is letting Feedburner know right away that you've updated your
                page. In the future, you can just load that bookmark and you don't
                have to fill out the form anymore.
                -Verdi

                --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@g...> wrote:
                > > So I just uploaded a new videoclip and made a blog post for it.
                How long before Ant is able
                > > to pick it up? 'Cause it isn't showing up, but I just did the blog
                post 5 minutes ago, so
                > > maybe that's normal?
                >
                > i think it has to do with the Feedburner.
                > there are rumprs that its takes many hours for the feed to be updated.
                > lets make this a test.
              • petertheman
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 1, 2005
                  > Me-TV (MeFeedia) does not rely on RSS feeds. It can also scrape your
                  > HTML, hence it is more forgiving because you don't have to figure out
                  > the RSS thing.

                  That's not really true.. Mefeedia relies on rss feeds. It's just more
                  forgiving as to what KIND of rss feed (it doesn't require enclosures).

                  :)
                  Peter
                • Matthew Stenzel
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 1, 2005
                    Ok, once ANT downloads an entry from someones feed, is it impossible to re-download a
                    feed (lets say if I accidently deleted the video but still want it). I try to refresh the feed, but
                    it says 'no new media files' or whatever it says. Hmmmm... Jay, you there? :)

                    Ok, on to Me-TV... when Me-TV gets an RSS feed from a website that is bookmarked, does
                    it save the feed and once the feed is saved, doesn't update any existing entries? See, I
                    changed a few things around on a previous blog/vlog entry, yet, Me-TV still shows the one
                    that it first picked up when I bookmarked the site. I don't know, the original feed works,
                    but I'd like to see the newest edit on Me-TV.

                    ~Matt
                  • jonnygoldstein
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 1, 2005
                      Hey again. OK, I tried doing everything Josh recommended and now when
                      I go to refresh
                      my feed it says checking feed for 20 minutes and nothing is happening:

                      I'm sure I screwed something up, so here is what I did. If anyone
                      sees my error, I'd be
                      grateful if you could point it out to me.

                      1)In my RSS 1 and 2 templates changed the description tag from:

                      <description><$MTEntryExcerpt encode_xml="1"$></description>

                      <description><$MTEntryBody encode_xml="1" remove_html="0"
                      $></description>

                      Here are the actual index templates

                      This is the RSS 1.0 template:
                      ___________________________

                      <?xml version="1.0" encoding="<$MTPublishCharset$>"?>

                      <rdf:RDF
                      xmlns:sy="http://purl.org/rss/1.0/modules/syndication/"
                      xmlns:admin="http://webns.net/mvcb/"
                      xmlns:cc="http://web.resource.org/cc/"
                      xmlns="http://purl.org/rss/1.0/">

                      <channel rdf:about="<$MTBlogURL$>">
                      <title><$MTBlogName encode_xml="1"$></title>
                      <link><$MTBlogURL$></link>
                      <description><$MTBlogDescription remove_html="1" e
                      ncode_xml="1"$></description>
                      <dc:language>en-us</dc:language>
                      <dc:creator></dc:creator>
                      <dc:date><MTEntries lastn="1"><$MTEntryDate format
                      ="%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S"
                      language="en"$><$MTBlogTimezone$></MTEntries></dc:date>
                      <admin:generatorAgent rdf:resource="http://www.mov
                      abletype.org/?v=<$MTVersion$>"
                      />
                      <MTBlogIfCCLicense>
                      <cc:license rdf:resource="<$MTBlogCCLicenseURL$>" />
                      </MTBlogIfCCLicense>

                      <items>
                      <rdf:Seq><MTEntries lastn="15">
                      <rdf:li rdf:resource="<$MTEntryPermalink encode_xml="1"$>" />
                      </MTEntries></rdf:Seq>
                      </items>

                      </channel>

                      <MTEntries lastn="15">
                      <item rdf:about="<$MTEntryPermalink encode_xml="1"$>">
                      <title><$MTEntryTitle encode_xml="1"$></title>
                      <link><$MTEntryPermalink encode_xml="1"$></link>
                      <description><$MTEntryBody encode_xml="1" remove_html="0"
                      $></description>
                      <dc:subject><$MTEntryCategory encode_xml="1"$></dc:subject>
                      <dc:creator><$MTEntryAuthor encode_xml="1"$></dc:creator>
                      <dc:date><$MTEntryDate format="%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S"
                      language="en"$><$MTBlogTimezone$></dc:date>
                      </item>
                      </MTEntries>

                      </rdf:RDF>

                      This is the RSS 2 template:
                      (I have a feeling this is where I screwed up because initially I
                      replace the wrong tag (the
                      first description tag, instead of the one toward the end of the
                      template index) and maybe I
                      didn't restore that first tag correctly)
                      __________________________________

                      <?xml version="1.0" encoding="<$MTPublishCharset$>"?>
                      <rss version="2.0">
                      <channel>
                      <title><$MTBlogName remove_html="1" encode_xml="1"$></title>
                      <link><$MTBlogURL$></link>
                      <description><$MTBlogDescription remove_html="1" e
                      ncode_xml="1"$></description>
                      <language>en-us</language>
                      <copyright>Copyright <$MTDate format="%Y"$></copyright>
                      <lastBuildDate><MTEntries lastn="1"><$MTEntryDate
                      format_name="rfc822"$></
                      MTEntries></lastBuildDate>
                      <pubDate><$MTDate format_name="rfc822"$></pubDate>
                      <generator>http://www.movabletype.org/?v=<$MTVersion$></generator>
                      <docs>http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/tech/rss</docs>

                      <MTEntries lastn="15">
                      <item>
                      <title><$MTEntryTitle remove_html="1" encode_xml="1"$></title>
                      description><$MTEntryBody encode_xml="1" remove_html="0"
                      $></description>

                      <link><$MTEntryPermalink encode_xml="1"$></link>
                      <guid><$MTEntryPermalink encode_xml="1"$></guid>
                      <category><$MTEntryCategory remove_html="1" encode
                      _xml="1"$></category>
                      <pubDate><$MTEntryDate format_name="rfc822"$></pubDate>
                      </item>
                      </MTEntries>

                      </channel>
                      </rss>

                      2)Then I put <a href="http://jonnygoldstein.com/alphabetlounge1.mov"
                      rel="enclosure"></a> in my blog entry

                      rel="enclosure">
                      <OBJECT CLASSID="clsid:02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B"
                      width="240"
                      height="196"
                      CODEBASE="http://www.apple.com/qtactivex/qtplugin.cab">
                      <PARAM name="SRC" VALUE="http://www.jonnygoldstein
                      .com/alphabetlounge1.mov">
                      <PARAM name="AUTOPLAY" VALUE="false">
                      <PARAM name="CONTROLLER" VALUE="true">
                      <EMBED SRC="http://www.jonnygoldstein.com/alphabetlounge1.mov"
                      width="240"
                      height="196" AUTOPLAY="false" CONTROLLER="true" PLUGINSPAGE="http://
                      www.apple.com/quicktime/download/">
                      </EMBED>
                      </OBJECT>
                      </a>
                      Creamsicles Maitre d'ed by
                      Jonny, here's some of the flavor captured on video.

                      3)Enabled the SmartCast feature within feedburner.

                      Any advice hugely appreciated! I just want to be able to be syndicated via ANT since ANT is
                      so danged cool.

                      Jonny Goldstein

                      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Joshua Kinberg <jkinberg@g...>

                    • Andreas Haugstrup
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 1, 2005
                        On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 15:24:00 -0000, Verdi <michael@...> wrote:

                        > If you got to:
                        > http://pingomatic.com/
                        > Fill out that form and check the box for Feedburner.

                        While you're there you should check off more boxes - at the very least
                        Technorati.

                        - Andreas
                        --
                        <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>
                      • petertheman
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 1, 2005
                          > Ok, on to Me-TV... when Me-TV gets an RSS feed from a website that
                          is bookmarked, does
                          > it save the feed and once the feed is saved, doesn't update any
                          existing entries?

                          Yes, that's how it works now. I would like to implement your
                          suggestion, but I only have limited time (this is just my side
                          project), and I have a bunch of more important features and bugfixes
                          that need to be done first.... It's on the list though!

                          Peter