Re: [videoblogging] Re: SimpleMovieX -- An alternative to QuickTime Pro?

  • mail@obsoletefeed.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2006
      hello

      i want to do the opposite, does anyone know if quicktime pro can produce
      an .avi container from a .mov one or other mac software that can do this?

      example: say you want to do the opposite of what harold wants to do, you
      want to change the file from .mov to .avi withour reeencoding it?

      i'm trying to make as many file formats as i can available through my site

      obsolete feed
      obsoletefeed.com
      feeds coming soon

    • Adrian Miles
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2006
        around the 1/10/06 mail@... mentioned about Re:
        [videoblogging] Re: SimpleMovieX -- An alternative to that:
        >example: say you want to do the opposite of what harold wants to do, you
        >want to change the file from .mov to .avi withour reeencoding it?
        >
        >i'm trying to make as many file formats as i can available through my site

        at a guess only if it uses a codec that both avi and mov can both
        read, which probably means a very old (ie very inefficient) codec.
        --
        cheers
        Adrian Miles
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2006
          around the 30/9/06 Harold Johnson mentioned about [videoblogging]
          SimpleMovieX -- An alternative to QuickTime that:
          >P.S. My original purpose was to find a simple AVI-to-MOV converter for
          >the Mac platform; anyone know of one? I'd prefer one that didn't
          >require transcoding the original file. Thanks!

          confused here. if you want to 'convert' one file format to another
          then not sure how you are going to get around recompressing the video
          from one to the other, and yes, if you apply a compression codec to
          something already compressed it is *very* slow process and quality
          often very questionable.

          (usually because compmression looks for difference, once video
          compressed there is a lot more differnce - noise - than before, so
          the compression algorithm has to work much much harder so it much
          much slower).
          --
          cheers
          Adrian Miles
          this email is bloggable [ ] ask first [ ] private [x]
          hypertext.RMIT <URL:http://hypertext.rmit.edu.au/admin/briefEmail.html >
        • Harold Johnson
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 1, 2006
            Hi Adrian. My understanding is that AVI is merely a container for whatever
            is the "real" format, such as DivX, or XviD, or whatever is being used. (In
            the case of Gmini recordings, I believe it's recorded in
            MPEG-something-or-other, then wrapped in AVI.) I remember once using a
            little app that simply converted the AVI wrapper to a MOV one. It only took
            the briefest of moments to do so, so I don't think there was an reencoding
            done. I'd like to find this app (or another that can do the same thing)
            again.

            Thanks,
            Harold

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 1, 2006
              around the 1/10/06 Harold Johnson mentioned about Re: [videoblogging]
              SimpleMovieX -- An alternative to Quick that:
              >Hi Adrian. My understanding is that AVI is merely a container for whatever
              >is the "real" format, such as DivX, or XviD, or whatever is being used. (In
              >the case of Gmini recordings, I believe it's recorded in
              >MPEG-something-or-other, then wrapped in AVI.) I remember once using a
              >little app that simply converted the AVI wrapper to a MOV one. It only took
              >the briefest of moments to do so, so I don't think there was an reencoding
              >done. I'd like to find this app (or another that can do the same thing)
              >again.

              that's cool. But it will only work if the codecs are supported. this
              used to be pretty easy because in the early days cinepak was the
              codec of choice and it was used in both avi and mov. but these days
              if I have a h.264 encoded video I can't just turn it into an avi by
              changing some file type data, since the avi engine will try to play
              it but if it can't decode the codec it won't work :-)

              for example in your Gmini, if it is compliant mpeg4 then qt will play
              it, as is, doesn't matter what it is called. if it isn't compliant
              then it won't and can't.
              --
              cheers
              Adrian Miles
              this email is bloggable [ ] ask first [ ] private [x]
              hypertext.RMIT <URL:http://hypertext.rmit.edu.au/admin/briefEmail.html >
            • mayel2b
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 2, 2006
                You might find this helpful : http://perian.org/
                It adds support for many formats and codecs to Quicktime (see http://trac.perian.org/
                wiki/SupportedFormats)
                Including the AVI container.

                N.B: It also adds support for FLV to Quicktime, very usefull !

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 4, 2006
                  Thanks; I'll look into your suggestion. Thanks for the replies!

                  Harold