Re: [videoblogging] Leader of UK opposition starts videoblog

  • Sean Gilligan
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 30, 2006
      John Edwards had the smarts to hire some folks from this list to help
      him. The British Conservatives should do the same. For starters they
      need help with de-interlacing. ;)

      -- Sean

      Michael Verdi wrote:
      > Interesting. And interesting that it was front page news. Last year when
      > John Edwards started a videoblog (potential Presidential candidate in 2008)
      > I was certain it would make the news but it didn't.
      >
      > -Verdi
      >

      > On 9/30/06, Rupert Howe <rupert@...> wrote:
      >
      >> So - check it out. David Cameron, the leader of the Conservative
      >> Party (UK's equivalent of Republicans - Tony Blair's Labour party are
      >> equiv of Democrats) and so possible future prime minister, has started
      >> a videoblog.
      >>
      >> It's at http://www.webcameron.org.uk - it's quite a nicely designed
      >> site - and it's quite recognisably a videoblog. Short, freeform chat
      >> to handheld camera, no artificial lighting. Flash, with subscription
      >> to come.
      >>
      >> So he doesn't hold the camera himself, and his kid's interruption and
      >> the camera movement to show the carefully placed washing line are all
      >> a bit obviously staged for 'man-of-the-people' political effect. But
      >> it's interesting that he should make this choice to get across his
      >> messages, especially since he's such a major political figure here.
      >>
      >> It was the front page lead item in The Guardian today (left wing
      >> newspaper read by media people, usually anti-Cameron).
      >>
      >> Rupert
      >> http://www.fatgirlinohio.org

    • Rupert Howe
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2006
        Yes - it will be really interesting to see how the US presidential
        candidates use video next time round.

        Cameron's videoblog made the front page because YouTube is an
        obsession in all the UK's papers at the moment. Earlier this year
        they discovered Myspace and late last year they invented something
        called blogging (you may have heard of it). It's a very limited and
        lazy look-whats-new journalism. I guess it must sell papers. Most
        articles seem aimed at parents of teenagers. I'm surprised how few UK
        vloggers there are, given this coverage. Perhaps they're all on
        YouTube.

        The Cameron vlog story also fits two other newspaper obsessions:

        1) David Cameron's attempts to rejuvenate the Conservative party from
        being the party of the old, wealthy cricket lover.

        2) The demise of politics in general due to lack of interest.

        Plus - most importantly - it's conference (convention) season - The
        Conservatives' conference starts today.

        We'll see whether David Cameron's videoblog lasts - or whether it's
        just a news splash for their conference. Tony Blair got a lot of
        column inches at the Labour conference this week by talking about how
        he wants to appeal to the Google Generation. No, really. This from a
        man who is a self-professed technophobe *who has never used email*.

        If they can just stop spinning for a second, and actually appear
        genuinely human, instead of human-in-order-to-prove-a-political-point,
        people might start to care, I guess.

        Probably not, though.

        Rupert
        http://www.fatgirlinohio.org

        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Verdi" <michael@...> wrote:

        > Interesting. And interesting that it was front page news. Last year when
        > John Edwards started a videoblog (potential Presidential candidate
        in 2008)
        > I was certain it would make the news but it didn't.
        >
        > -Verdi
        >

        > On 9/30/06, Rupert Howe <rupert@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > So - check it out. David Cameron, the leader of the Conservative
        > > Party (UK's equivalent of Republicans - Tony Blair's Labour party are
        > > equiv of Democrats) and so possible future prime minister, has started
        > > a videoblog.
        > >
        > > It's at http://www.webcameron.org.uk - it's quite a nicely designed
        > > site - and it's quite recognisably a videoblog. Short, freeform chat
        > > to handheld camera, no artificial lighting. Flash, with subscription
        > > to come.
        > >
        > > So he doesn't hold the camera himself, and his kid's interruption and
        > > the camera movement to show the carefully placed washing line are all
        > > a bit obviously staged for 'man-of-the-people' political effect. But
        > > it's interesting that he should make this choice to get across his
        > > messages, especially since he's such a major political figure here.
        > >
        > > It was the front page lead item in The Guardian today (left wing
        > > newspaper read by media people, usually anti-Cameron).
        > >
        > > Rupert
        > > http://www.fatgirlinohio.org
        > >

        > --
        > http://michaelverdi.com
        > Author of Secrets Of Videoblogging - http://tinyurl.com/me4vs
        > Learn to videoblog: http://freevlog.org & http://node101.org
        > Community Capitalism: http://havemoneywillvlog.com
        > Machinima: http://whenwewererobots.com

      • Aldon Hynes
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2006
          Jay and I have discussed politicians using videoblogging a little bit here
          as well as at a conference in New York. It has already been happening a bit
          here in the States. To me, the biggest issue is less about politicians
          finding new broadcast media, but about politicians finding ways to open up
          and expand their dialog with citizens.

          I am exploring the Cameron website. The main blog entries do not appear to
          permit comments, which is unfortunate, but there does seem to be the ability
          to register for the site, and hopefully participate in an open blog.

          Politicians in the U.S. are starting to get online with videos. As many of
          you know, I am the technology coordinator Ned Lamont's campaign. We've been
          encouraging supporters to put videos online about the campaign, and we've
          had a lot of success. Now, it seems as if whenever any candidate puts out a
          political ad, they are sure to put it on YouTube when they release the ad.

          Yet, even this doesn't really promote a dialog. The Lamont campaign has a
          blog, and we get a fair amount of traffic on it. However, even here in
          Connecticut, too few people are posting user created content, let alone user
          created video content.

          While I suspect that no politician is going to open up to dialog to the
          level that perhaps Jay or I hope for, I will note that I've been speaking
          with people close to Sen. Edwards about working with their organization in
          the event that Sen. Edwards does decide to run for President in 2008. If
          this comes about, I hope that we can use the campaign to train and empower
          more people to video blog and participate in citizen's journalism.

          I've really valued the discussion on this list and in the event that I do
          work with an Edwards campaign, I hope that I can draw on the expertise of
          people here to further open up the political process, especially to
          videobloggers. Feel free to contact me directly with any thoughts or
          comments you have that aren't of general interest to this list.

          Aldon
        • Gena
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 1, 2006
            Well, I don't know if I want some of those RepDem windbags to has
            access to vlogging. I still haven't forgotten "the Internet is a bunch
            of tubes" remark.

            I know dang well there is gonna be a PR firm gold rush to charge those
            goobers money to make bad looking homespun video of regular joes and
            janes.

            What I would hope for is that this opens things up for alternative
            candidates from the Green, Peace and Freedom and yeah even
            Libertarians to get their points of view out to the greater public so
            that we can mix it up in Congress a little bit more.

            The alternative parties might be more willing to have an actual
            dialog. The only time I hear from my current party is when they want
            to hit me up for some cash. A one way conversation.

            Gena

            http://outonthestoop.blogspot.com
            http://pcclibtech.blogspot.com
            http://voxmedia.org/wiki/Video
          • Deirdre Straughan
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 2, 2006
              And audio. I couldn't understand a word of the Delhi metro video. But, hey,
              at least I finally got to see the Delhi metro!

              On 10/1/06, Sean Gilligan <seanlist@...> wrote:

              > John Edwards had the smarts to hire some folks from this list to help
              > him. The British Conservatives should do the same. For starters they
              > need help with de-interlacing. ;)

              --
              best regards,
              Deirdré Straughan