Re: [videoblogging] Inner workings

  • Jay Dedman
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 1, 2004
      hahahaha
      i got the same thing!
      but something just happened here.
      you showed us what it looked like.
      i think im going fucking crazy here.
      right here.

      Quoting Shannon Noble <sn@...>:

      > I made a blog about your blog.
      >
      > http://nnon.tv/eric.mov
      >
      > This is what I see when I access this mp4 file. What is my technical
      > problem?
      >
      > I click on the url for the file and what you see in my .mov is what I see
      on
      > my screen.
      >
      > I¹m sure I¹m doing something wrong but don¹t know what.
      >
      > .shannon
      >

      > On 7/31/04 9:20 PM, "Eric Rice" <eric@...> wrote:
      >
      > > I made a videoblog about videoblogging. Doh!
      > > http://eric.blognews.com/blog/_archives/2004/7/31/115427.html
      > > How some of my videoblogs are made.
      > > It was fun.
      > > It was late.
      > > That is all.
      > >
      > > Eric
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129h0iqvo/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/
      D=grou

      > ps/S=1705554021:HM/EXP=1091420445/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://
      companio
      > > n.yahoo.com>

      > > *
      > > *

      Jay Dedman
      Manhattan Neighborhood Network
      537 West 59th
      NY NY 10019
      212 757 2670 ext.312
      www.mnn.org
    • Shannon Noble
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 1, 2004
        Re: [videoblogging] Inner workings I use to have this dream that there were beings that perceiveds the world in ascii format.....so that if I took the ascii equivalent of a pornographic image and printed it out that the recipient of such bombastulence could par take in such a thing and then experience  orgasmic stimulation. RGB space would be unnecessary.

        .s

        Quoting Shannon Noble <sn@...>:

        > I made a blog about your blog.
        >
        > http://nnon.tv/eric.mov
        >
        > This is what I see when I access this mp4 file. What is my technical
        > problem?
        >
        > I click on the url for the file and what you see in my .mov is what I see
        on
        > my screen.
        >
        > I’m sure I’m doing something wrong but don’t know what.
        >
        > .shannon
        >

        > On 7/31/04 9:20 PM, "Eric Rice" <eric@...> wrote:
        >
        > > I made a videoblog about videoblogging. Doh!
        > > http://eric.blognews.com/blog/_archives/2004/7/31/115427.html
        > > How some of my videoblogs are made.
        > > It was fun.
        > > It was late.
        > > That is all.
        > >
        > > Eric
        > >

        > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129h0iqvo/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/
        D=grou

        > ps/S=1705554021:HM/EXP=1091420445/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://
        companio
        > > n.yahoo.com>

        > > *
        > > *

      • Eric Rice
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 1, 2004
          So let's recap. I videoblogged about videoblogging, and Shannon videoblogge=
          d the error
          with videoblog-videoblog. Man, I think my head is---BLAM.

          Shit.

        • Shannon Noble

            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 1, 2004
              What's broken is the mime type:
              bash-2.05a$ HEAD http://eric.blognews.com/makemedia01.mp4
              200 OK

              MP4 mime type documented here:
              http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc3640.txt

              The right mime type would be either video/mpeg or video/mpeg4-generic.

              The fix is in the config for your web server. Create a file called
              .htaccess in your video directory and put this in it:
              AddType video/mpeg4-generic mp4

            • Lucas Gonze
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 1, 2004
                On Sat, 31 Jul 2004, Shannon Noble wrote:
                > I am greatly confused by the difference between the mp4 download vs. the
                > .mov download and this is a great frustration. Naturally I want global
                > access and return and immediate read/stream. So why does one format and
                > browser show me immediate stream and another waits till the entire piece
                > downloads as is such the case here. The mp4 file had to download completely
                > and the .mov QT streamed immediately...I¹m using Safari for this. Oye. My
                > head is spinning.

                To get a stream instead of a whole file download, you want to pass the URL
                to the renderer instead of the file. A common way to do that is with a
                playlist that contains the URL.

                Create a file like called makemedia01.m4u containing this one line:
                http://eric.blognews.com/makemedia01.mp4

                Then make sure the mime type is set correctly by adding this to .htaccess:
                AddType .m4u video/vnd.mpegurl

                (See http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/video/vnd-mpegurl for
                documentation on that mime type.)

                Lastly, point to your .m4u file instead of the .mp4 file.

                > Walnut Creek? You live out that way? I¹m in Silver Lake near Hollywood. Nice
                > piece.
                >
                > Shannon
                >

                > On 7/31/04 10:55 PM, "Eric Rice" <eric@...> wrote:
                >
                >> Okay, I haven't published it, but here's the MOV link: http://eric.blognews=
                >> .com/
                >> makemedia01.mov
                >>
                >> That probably works much better.
                >>
                >> Eric

                >> on=

                >> pe=
                >> )

                >> ha=

                >> ee=

                >> M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176=
                >> *http:/

                >> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                >> <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1297lcovu/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=grou
                >> ps/S=1705554021:HM/EXP=1091426150/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://companio
                >> n.yahoo.com>
                >>

                >> Yahoo! Groups Links
                >> *
                >> *
                >> * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service
                >> <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

              • M. Sean Gilligan
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 1, 2004
                  There are such beings, they love this movie:
                  http://www.ljudmila.org/~vuk/ascii/deep.htm

                  -- Sean

                  --
                • Adrian Miles
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 1, 2004
                    On 01/08/2004, at 4:10 PM, Shannon Noble wrote:

                    > I am greatly confused by the difference between the mp4 download vs.
                    > the .mov download and this is a great frustration. Naturally I want
                    > global access and return and immediate read/stream. So why does one
                    > format and browser show me immediate stream and another waits till the
                    > entire piece downloads as is such the case here. The mp4 file had to
                    > download completely and the .mov QT streamed immediately...I’m using
                    > Safari for this. Oye. My head is spinning.

                    there isn't any difference. an mp4 is a particular file format as
                    ratified by the appropriate consortium. .mov is a file format used by
                    QuickTime. its liek the difference betwen rtf and doc, they're just
                    formats, both download just the same way.

                    difference in presentation: one is fast start, the other probably
                    isn't. fast start means key data at head of file so video can play
                    before all data downloaded. non fast start means this data is not at
                    head of file so entire file needs to be downloaded before it can play.

                    it isn't an issue at your end, but at the compression end.

                    cheers
                    Adrian Miles
                    hypertext.rmit || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/adrian
                    interactive networked video || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog
                    research blog || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog/vlog/
                  • Lucas Gonze
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 1, 2004
                      On Mon, 2 Aug 2004, Adrian Miles wrote:>
                      > On 01/08/2004, at 4:10 PM, Shannon Noble wrote:
                      >

                      >> I am greatly confused by the difference between the mp4 download vs.
                      >> the .mov download and this is a great frustration. Naturally I want
                      >> global access and return and immediate read/stream. So why does one
                      >> format and browser show me immediate stream and another waits till the
                      >> entire piece downloads as is such the case here. The mp4 file had to
                      >> download completely and the .mov QT streamed immediately...I’m using
                      >> Safari for this. Oye. My head is spinning.
                      >
                      > there isn't any difference. an mp4 is a particular file format as
                      > ratified by the appropriate consortium. .mov is a file format used by
                      > QuickTime. its liek the difference betwen rtf and doc, they're just
                      > formats, both download just the same way.
                      >
                      > difference in presentation: one is fast start, the other probably
                      > isn't. fast start means key data at head of file so video can play
                      > before all data downloaded. non fast start means this data is not at
                      > head of file so entire file needs to be downloaded before it can play.

                      It might also be that the browser had to download the whole mp4 file
                      before handing it off to the media player, which is an issue that comes up
                      when you use an external helper app versus a plugin. That's why I wrote
                      up how to make a playlist containing just the URL of the mp4 file.

                      - Lucas

                      > it isn't an issue at your end, but at the compression end.
                      >
                      > cheers
                      > Adrian Miles
                      > hypertext.rmit || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/adrian
                      > interactive networked video || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog
                      > research blog || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog/vlog/
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Adrian Miles
                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 1, 2004
                        On 02/08/2004, at 1:15 PM, Lucas Gonze wrote:

                        > It might also be that the browser had to download the whole mp4 file
                        > before handing it off to the media player, which is an issue that
                        > comes up
                        > when you use an external helper app versus a plugin. That's why I
                        > wrote
                        > up how to make a playlist containing just the URL of the mp4 file.

                        good point Lucas, I was showing my macintosh QT bias there since i use
                        the QT plugin to handle mpeg4 :-)