Re: [videoblogging] Second Life, Politics and Other Virtual Crowd-attracting People/Events

  • Rick Rey
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2006
      For the most part I encourage it. I think any attempt to connect with voters is a good thing all around. I do wonder, though, if their "online" time could be better spent in a more accessible platform (e.g. videoblogging)... at least until virtual living becomes a little more mainstream.

      RIck

      On 9/1/06, Michael Sullivan <sulleleven@...> wrote:

      I'm not into secondlife.... yet.  I havent delved.  i cannot imagine right now spending any of my precious spare time maintaining a second instance of myself...for mostly fun.   The concept of socializing virtual worlds in definately interesting to me but I also struggle with understanding the benefit beyond entertainment purposes.  Though I admittedly have not even spent much time thinking about that question.  I dont have time to play a game of pac-man, so my experience with second life will have to be through others who blog and worldcast it in this reality.

      I'd like to ask this group what they feel about politicians (or any crowd-attracting, potentially influential, figure) adopting virtual social worlds such as Second Life to communicate with the millions who traverse there.  Is it just hyper-exisiting?  Does it provide the right intimate atmosphere between politicians and the crowds that want to hear and see them?
      Is it just like another stop to a city on a campaign tour? Even easier?  Could it effect who or how many use their right to vote?

      See http://gamepolitics.livejournal.com/351728.html

      How does this relate to vlogging (or whatever it is that you do with video and blogs)?  It's cool when people like Michael Verdi, Eric Rice and others bring glimpes from virtual worlds to this world by recording time and space there and publishing the videos on their blogs.  So it's relevant in that sense.  But i ask again.... it it just entertainment value or true social value?

      What do you think?

      Thanks,

      --
      Sull
      http://vlogdir.com

    • Michael Verdi
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2006
        Actually, virtual living is much more "mainstream" than videoblogging in terms of the number of people doing it and amount of money spent on it.

        -Verdi

        On 9/1/06, Rick Rey <rick@...> wrote:
[...]

        http://michaelverdi.com
        Author of Secrets Of Videoblogging - http://tinyurl.com/me4vs
        Learn to videoblog: http://freevlog.org & http://node101.org
        Community Capitalism: http://havemoneywillvlog.com
        Machinima: http://whenwewererobots.com
      • Digital Buddha
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1, 2006
          I personally believe that it would be unhealthy to expect a real political dialogue when in avatar form. Who is behind the avatar? Is it a bot, a wonk, the politician him/herself?

          Anonymity is a good thing in many instances, I think this is not a good instance.

          - Ted

          <Being in avatar form one way or another since 1997>

[...]

        • John
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 1, 2006
            If politicians can use it to get their message out, they will. But
            I'm not holding my breath. I haven't participated in anything like
            second life yet, but I would bet the primary demographic is fairly
            young - college and twenties. For politicians, this is an extremely
            difficult group to motivate politically. Many have tried, few have
            succeeded. With a few exceptions, this group tends to stay away
            from the polls - which is why it is a demographic that most
            politicians don't spend much time courting. The last person who
            really went after this group as a major part of his campaign effort
            was Howard Dean, and it just didn't turn into votes.

            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Verdi" <michael@...>