Re: [videoblogging] Second Life, Politics and Other Virtual Crowd-attracting People/Events

  • Deirdre Straughan
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2006
      I don't know yet, but it's time to find out. The concept is interesting to me because I've been making friends online for 24 years now  (OMG! has it been that long?), some of whom I have yet to meet in person. Online or offline, these people are friends, and I value them. Another way to make friends is always welcome, especially in this world where, lord knows, we all need to know and understand each other better.

      --
      best regards,
      Deirdré Straughan

      www.beginningwithi.com (personal)
      www.tvblob.com (work)
    • Rick Rey
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2006
        For the most part I encourage it. I think any attempt to connect with voters is a good thing all around. I do wonder, though, if their "online" time could be better spent in a more accessible platform (e.g. videoblogging)... at least until virtual living becomes a little more mainstream.

        RIck

        On 9/1/06, Michael Sullivan <sulleleven@...> wrote:

        I'm not into secondlife.... yet.  I havent delved.  i cannot imagine right now spending any of my precious spare time maintaining a second instance of myself...for mostly fun.   The concept of socializing virtual worlds in definately interesting to me but I also struggle with understanding the benefit beyond entertainment purposes.  Though I admittedly have not even spent much time thinking about that question.  I dont have time to play a game of pac-man, so my experience with second life will have to be through others who blog and worldcast it in this reality.

        I'd like to ask this group what they feel about politicians (or any crowd-attracting, potentially influential, figure) adopting virtual social worlds such as Second Life to communicate with the millions who traverse there.  Is it just hyper-exisiting?  Does it provide the right intimate atmosphere between politicians and the crowds that want to hear and see them?
        Is it just like another stop to a city on a campaign tour? Even easier?  Could it effect who or how many use their right to vote?

        See http://gamepolitics.livejournal.com/351728.html

        How does this relate to vlogging (or whatever it is that you do with video and blogs)?  It's cool when people like Michael Verdi, Eric Rice and others bring glimpes from virtual worlds to this world by recording time and space there and publishing the videos on their blogs.  So it's relevant in that sense.  But i ask again.... it it just entertainment value or true social value?

        What do you think?

        Thanks,

        --
        Sull
        http://vlogdir.com

      • Michael Verdi
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1, 2006
          Actually, virtual living is much more "mainstream" than videoblogging in terms of the number of people doing it and amount of money spent on it.

          -Verdi

          On 9/1/06, Rick Rey <rick@...> wrote:
[...]

          http://michaelverdi.com
          Author of Secrets Of Videoblogging - http://tinyurl.com/me4vs
          Learn to videoblog: http://freevlog.org & http://node101.org
          Community Capitalism: http://havemoneywillvlog.com
          Machinima: http://whenwewererobots.com
        • Digital Buddha
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 1, 2006
            I personally believe that it would be unhealthy to expect a real political dialogue when in avatar form. Who is behind the avatar? Is it a bot, a wonk, the politician him/herself?

            Anonymity is a good thing in many instances, I think this is not a good instance.

            - Ted

            <Being in avatar form one way or another since 1997>

[...]

          • John
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 1, 2006
              If politicians can use it to get their message out, they will. But
              I'm not holding my breath. I haven't participated in anything like
              second life yet, but I would bet the primary demographic is fairly
              young - college and twenties. For politicians, this is an extremely
              difficult group to motivate politically. Many have tried, few have
              succeeded. With a few exceptions, this group tends to stay away
              from the polls - which is why it is a demographic that most
              politicians don't spend much time courting. The last person who
              really went after this group as a major part of his campaign effort
              was Howard Dean, and it just didn't turn into votes.

              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Verdi" <michael@...>