Re: [videoblogging] Live videoblogging -- Anybody doing it?

  • Michael Sullivan
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
      LOL.

      Ok, i'll chime in for a moment....

      First, let me put out this link as an example of where things can go, in part, in relation to live social media broadcasting:

      http://www.instantsharecam.com/

      First you explain how a "live vlog" is different from broadcast and *then* you get to make up a
      name for it. Call a spade a spade.

      from where i stand on defining vlog, i am unable to make "live vlog" work in my mind.
      one could have a vlog with an archive of what was once live broadcasted video, as many videos on blogs are.  but broadcasting live is broadcasting live.  What about narrowcasting or microcasting to small or even private groups?  I guess start here to delve into those topics - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcasting

      anyway, since i think a vlog requires a blog and video, anything "live" when it is "live" is something else.
      and as always, i dont think any of this has anything to do with content genres.

      sull

      On 9/1/06, Andreas Haugstrup < solitude@...> wrote:
      On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 12:19:37 +0200, B Yen < byen@...> wrote:

      >> Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. I agree with you on a lot
      >> of points. By no means am I suggesting that we stop doing what
      >> we're doing. I don't think live vlogcasting has to be done the
      >> "network TV" way. Let's not mimick something we're trying to
      >> change. I see this as something raw, interactive, organic, etc.

      "Live vlogcasting"? Stop with the names already. First you explain how a

      --
      Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      --
      Sull
      http://vlogdir.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
        The topic has come up from time to time.
        I recall Clark from zipzapzop.com talking about this stuff on the blip group.
        He was proposing a live continuous streamed broadcast channel over the net for open media content creators.

        I dont think the emphasis was on live video but rather just a playlist stream.... for example play all blip video in a stream.

        i've havent thought much about it lately because i'm initially uncertain if its important right now.
        but i wouldnt mind seeing that in action either.  It goes back to early days of webcasting.... There was a time when I experimented with Real, Darwin and Quicktime Broadcaster to stream media.  I also helped a bit with this project:  http://www.frequencyclock.net/

        its more than just different technology, its a different purpose and mindset... one that i have mostly abandoned over the past 3 years, replaced with things like bittorrent, playlists, blogs and aggregation etc.

        sull

        On 9/1/06, Rick Rey <rick@...> wrote:
        Most live video on the web is a personal affair. Usually one-on-one or
        in small groups (e.g. video conferencing).

        Why aren't we using this technology in our vlogs?

        I started thinking about it when I re-watched one of Jay's old videos
        from his live call-in show (link below). There is something very real
        and honest about live broadcasting... sometimes that "thing" gets lost
        in the editing process.

        The only person I know broadcasting live is Tom Green. I'm sure there
        are others. I think we should start thinking about how to leverage
        this technology and create a new genre of vlogging. Maybe it already
        exists?

        Thoughts?

        Jay's video:
        http://momentshowing.typepad.com/momentshowing/files/day_14.mov
        Tom Green: http://www.tomgreen.com/

        -Rick Rey

        Yahoo! Groups Links

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        --
        Sull
        http://vlogdir.com
        http://SpreadTheMedia.org
        http://interdigitate.com
      • Doron Golan
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
          check this out, live and networked !! >>

          LIVE NETWORKED_PERFORMANCE - VisitorsStudio. 2nd September 2006.
          Joberg-Derby-London

          Date: Saturday, 2nd September 2006.
          Time: 4pm (BST)
          & 5pm (SA time).

          http://www.visitorsstudio.org

          A live-online collaborative performance on VisitorsStudio by Nathaniel
          Stern, Marc Garrett and Ruth Catlow.

          Followed by open laptop mixing by audiences and invited local artists
          at:-

          - The Premises Gallery (Johannesburg)
          - HTTP Gallery (London)
          - Q Arts (Derby)

          The Performance:
          Nathaniel Stern, Marc Garrett and Ruth Catlow - will peform together for
          30 minutes on the VisitorsStudio. Creating an AudioVisual mix, on the
          theme of UTOPIA - in response to the discussions that has been taking
          place on the Game/Play blog (http://blog.game-play.org.uk).

          After the 30 minute performance:
          Everyone is invited to join in and upload their own content to
          networked, real-time platform, to mix and collaborate from the 3
          different venues. Others who cannot make it to the venues are invited to
          join in and connect from their own homes. Remember, the VisitorsStudio
          has been designed to allow anyone with a 56k modem to access it from
          anywhere in the world.

          About Files and Software:
          Get the latest flash player on your computer.
          File types supported are jpg, png, mp3, flv and swf files, as long as
          they are under 200k.

          All are welcome :-)
        • Rick Rey

            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
              I responded to Andreas before reading this and I pretty much said the
              same thing. Though I don't necessarily think we have to abandon
              vlogging technologies to embrace live broadcasting models. Can't we
              have our cake and eat it, too? The Instant Share Cam is great example
              of how we might make this happen (all costs aside) -- thanks for
              sharing that.

              Rick

              On 9/1/06, Michael Sullivan <sulleleven@...> wrote:

              > its more than just different technology, its a different purpose and mindset... one that i have mostly abandoned over the past 3 years, replaced with things like bittorrent, playlists, blogs and aggregation etc.
              >
              > sull
            • Steve Garfield
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
                Umm...

                The Instant Share Cam is not real.

                Yet.

                On Sep 1, 2006, at 3:10 PM, Rick Rey wrote:

                > I responded to Andreas before reading this and I pretty much said the
                > same thing. Though I don't necessarily think we have to abandon
                > vlogging technologies to embrace live broadcasting models. Can't we
                > have our cake and eat it, too? The Instant Share Cam is great example
                > of how we might make this happen (all costs aside) -- thanks for
                > sharing that.
                >
                > Rick
                >
                > On 9/1/06, Michael Sullivan <sulleleven@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> its more than just different technology, its a different purpose
                >> and mindset... one that i have mostly abandoned over the past 3
                >> years, replaced with things like bittorrent, playlists, blogs and
                >> aggregation etc.
                >>
                >> sull

                Steve Garfield
                http://SteveGarfield.com

                Learn Podcasting FREE at PodCamp Boston, Sept 9/10
                http://www.PodCamp.org

                Watch Vlog Soup: A video tour of the vlogosphere
                http://stevegarfield.blogs.com/vlogsoup/
              • Michael Sullivan
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
                  i know.  ;-)
                  that's where its all heading though.  social devices.

                  On 9/1/06, Steve Garfield <steve@... > wrote:
                  Umm...

                  The Instant Share Cam is not real.

                  Yet.

                  On Sep 1, 2006, at 3:10 PM, Rick Rey wrote:

                  > I responded to Andreas before reading this and I pretty much said the
                  > same thing. Though I don't necessarily think we have to abandon
                  > vlogging technologies to embrace live broadcasting models. Can't we
                  > have our cake and eat it, too? The Instant Share Cam is great example
                  > of how we might make this happen (all costs aside) -- thanks for
                  > sharing that.
                  >
                  > Rick
                  >
                  > On 9/1/06, Michael Sullivan < sulleleven@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> its more than just different technology, its a different purpose
                  >> and mindset... one that i have mostly abandoned over the past 3
                  >> years, replaced with things like bittorrent, playlists, blogs and
                  >> aggregation etc.
                  >>
                  >> sull

                  Steve Garfield
                  http://SteveGarfield.com

                  Learn Podcasting FREE at PodCamp Boston, Sept 9/10
                  http://www.PodCamp.org

                  Watch Vlog Soup: A video tour of the vlogosphere
                  http://stevegarfield.blogs.com/vlogsoup/

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  --
                  Sull
                  http://vlogdir.com
                  http://SpreadTheMedia.org
                  http://interdigitate.com
                • Ted Tagami
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
                    I'd like to help on VlogEurope Live. Vloggercon had a feed going out that worked well, let's do it again. I'll post to wiki

                    On 9/1/06, Deirdre Straughan <deirdre.straughan@...> wrote:

                    Live could be a different kind of fun, though time zones can make it hard for many of us, as we already know from the videoconferences.

                    Let's see what we can do to broadcast at least parts of this year's vlogEurope live...

                    best regards,
                    Deirdré Straughan

                    www.beginningwithi.com (personal)
                    www.tvblob.com (work)

                    --
                    Ted Tagami
                    Founding Partner

                    U N I V E R S U S . N E T
                    Video Bloggers Podcasting
                  • Steve Garfield
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
                      I know you know...

                      That's what I've been experimenting with while using the Nokia N93.
                      It shoots amazing video and can post directly to a blog using
                      Lifeblog from the phone on a WiFi connection.

                      All I need to do to get it working is figure out the posting error
                      message I'm getting back from TypePad when I try that.

                      I used the web interface of Hipcast though and posted video over free
                      WiFi from the sidewalk.

                      That is the future...

                      --
                      Steve Garfield
                      http://SteveGarfield.com

                      Learn Podcasting FREE at PodCamp Boston, Sept 9/10
                      http://www.PodCamp.org

                      Watch Vlog Soup: A video tour of the vlogosphere
                      http://stevegarfield.blogs.com/vlogsoup/
                    • Dorothy Littlejohn
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 1, 2006
                        Well that Burning Man site

                        will be doing a live satellite broadcast saturday night. There doesn't appear to be a way to participate by the viewer, but perhaps that's just a setting that can be changed?