Re: Josh Wolf - Out on bail

  • Enric
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 31, 2006
      Ooops, I should have put the message here:

      This is interesting and informative. Dan Noyes of local San Francisco
      ABC News phone interviews Josh Wolf, 17 minutes:

      http://abclocal.go.com/three/kgo/josh_wolf_interview_083106.mp3
      or
      http://tinyurl.com/ry9sa

      -- Enric
      -======-
      http://www.cirne.com

      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Verdi" <michael@...> wrote:

      > http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/08/31/MNGFDKT3KL4.DTL
      >
      > --
      > http://michaelverdi.com
      > Author of Secrets Of Videoblogging - http://tinyurl.com/me4vs
      > Learn to videoblog: http://freevlog.org & http://node101.org
      > Community Capitalism: http://havemoneywillvlog.com
      > Machinima: http://whenwewererobots.com

    • Josh Wolf
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 2, 2006
        That's right, I'm free - at least for now. even though I was only
        there for 30 days, I'm still a little overwhelmed and it might be a
        day or two before I'm back to being active online and responding to e-
        mails in my typical timely fashion. I've got a lot to catch up on,
        and some rather serious roommate issues that I returned to - so
        please wish me luck in both these struggles.

        Josh

        "We can bomb the world to pieces, but we can't bomb it into to peace."
        "Power to the peaceful!"

        Spearhead - Bomb the World
      • andrew michael baron
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 2, 2006
          Hey Josh, I wish I had taken more time to understand everything behind the importance of your case on my own, but do to the entirely pervasive news coverage and the amount of people speaking out about it, I truly understand now why this was so important.

          I think this comes at a time where your case will help to set a precedence for a whole new era in fair treatment for our rights.

          There is not a human being in the world that can fairly deny the greatness in your intentions, way to go Josh!!

          On Sep 2, 2006, at 1:31 PM, Josh Wolf wrote:

          That's right, I'm free - at least for now. even though I was only
          there for 30 days, I'm still a little overwhelmed and it might be a
          day or two before I'm back to being active online and responding to e-
          mails in my typical timely fashion. I've got a lot to catch up on,
          and some rather serious roommate issues that I returned to - so
          please wish me luck in both these struggles.

          Josh

          "We can bomb the world to pieces, but we can't bomb it into to peace."
          "Power to the peaceful!"

          Spearhead - Bomb the World

        • Loiez D.
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 2, 2006
            Welcome home Josh !

            Le combat continue

            Loiez

            Le 2 sept. 06 à 19:31, Josh Wolf a écrit :

            That's right, I'm free - at least for now. even though I was only
            there for 30 days, I'm still a little overwhelmed and it might be a
            day or two before I'm back to being active online and responding to e-
            mails in my typical timely fashion. I've got a lot to catch up on,
            and some rather serious roommate issues that I returned to - so
            please wish me luck in both these struggles.

            Josh

            "We can bomb the world to pieces, but we can't bomb it into to peace."
            "Power to the peaceful!"

            Spearhead - Bomb the World

          • jonny goldstein
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 2, 2006
              Whew! Now the real struggle begins---the roomate struggle! Seriously,
              congrats on getting out of jail.

              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Loiez D." <l.deniel@...> wrote:

              > Welcome home Josh !
              >
              > Le combat continue
              >
              > Loiez
              >

              > Le 2 sept. 06 à 19:31, Josh Wolf a écrit :
              >
              > > That's right, I'm free - at least for now. even though I was only
              > > there for 30 days, I'm still a little overwhelmed and it might be a
              > > day or two before I'm back to being active online and responding to e-
              > > mails in my typical timely fashion. I've got a lot to catch up on,
              > > and some rather serious roommate issues that I returned to - so
              > > please wish me luck in both these struggles.
              > >
              > > Josh

              > > "We can bomb the world to pieces, but we can't bomb it into to peace."
              > > "Power to the peaceful!"
              > >
              > > Spearhead - Bomb the World

            • Chuck Olsen
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 2, 2006
                Woohoo! Welcome back to civilian life my man.

                One of the main things I've learned from your plight is -- man, the grand jury system is sure
                fucked up. I suppose that's an understatement.
              • Paul Knight
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 3, 2006
                  Fantastic news....

                  Paul Knight

                  On 2 Sep 2006, at 22:52, jonny goldstein wrote:

                  > Whew! Now the real struggle begins---the roomate struggle! Seriously,
                  > congrats on getting out of jail.
                  >
                  > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Loiez D." <l.deniel@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Welcome home Josh !
                  > >
                  > > Le combat continue
                  > >
                  > > Loiez
                  > >

                  > > Le 2 sept. 06 à 19:31, Josh Wolf a écrit :
                  > >
                  > > > That's right, I'm free - at least for now. even though I was only
                  > > > there for 30 days, I'm still a little overwhelmed and it might
                  > be a
                  > > > day or two before I'm back to being active online and
                  > responding to e-
                  > > > mails in my typical timely fashion. I've got a lot to catch up on,
                  > > > and some rather serious roommate issues that I returned to - so
                  > > > please wish me luck in both these struggles.
                  > > >
                  > > > Josh
                  > > >
                  > > > ____________________________________________
                  > > > "We can bomb the world to pieces, but we can't bomb it into to
                  > peace."
                  > > > "Power to the peaceful!"
                  > > >
                  > > > Spearhead - Bomb the World

                • humancloner1997
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 3, 2006
                    It isn't "the grand jury system" that's the problem. It's the abuse
                    of the judicial system by the Federal Government that's the problem.
                    In all probability, the grand jury will refuse to indict Josh.
                    I served on a grand jury about a year ago. The Jersey City Police
                    were obviously trying to railroad someone they didn't like on a
                    bogus "attempted murder" and "illegal possession of amunition"
                    charges. We voted unamimously to DISMISS the charges. The grand jury
                    is/should be/is designed to be/ an innocent's person's first line of
                    defense.

                    --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Olsen"

                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 3, 2006
                      The Grand Jury system is one of many problems involved with my case
                      and I respectfully disagree with your sentiment humancloner; the
                      grand jury returns indictments far more frequently than they dismiss
                      them. They were originally established as secret sessions in order to
                      protect the name and honor of those accused. At that point in time,
                      the grand jury was not driven by the US Attorney. At the point that
                      the US Attorney became the official presence in the grand jury - the
                      secretive nature of the grand jury became far more of a detriment
                      than the importance of not having your name tarnished for a crime you
                      had no part in. In essence, a grand jury is a sort of pre-trial where
                      it is just witnesses, the prosecutor, and the jury itself.

                      As you are not permitted a lawyer, as a judge is not present to be a
                      sort of unbiased observer, and as the proceedings are secretive; the
                      grand jury itself is an institution that is contrary to the
                      principles of a democratic justice system.

                      Josh

                      On Sep 3, 2006, at 11:15 AM, humancloner1997 wrote:

                      > It isn't "the grand jury system" that's the problem. It's the abuse
                      > of the judicial system by the Federal Government that's the problem.
                      > In all probability, the grand jury will refuse to indict Josh.
                      > I served on a grand jury about a year ago. The Jersey City Police
                      > were obviously trying to railroad someone they didn't like on a
                      > bogus "attempted murder" and "illegal possession of amunition"
                      > charges. We voted unamimously to DISMISS the charges. The grand jury
                      > is/should be/is designed to be/ an innocent's person's first line of
                      > defense.
                      >
                      > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Olsen"
                      > <reallystinkyguy@...> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > Woohoo! Welcome back to civilian life my man.
                      > >
                      > > One of the main things I've learned from your plight is -- man, the
                      > grand jury system is sure
                      > > fucked up. I suppose that's an understatement.

                      "We can bomb the world to pieces, but we can't bomb it into to peace."
                      "Power to the peaceful!"

                      Spearhead - Bomb the World
                    • Brett Gaylor
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 4, 2006
                        So glad you're out - you have my respect for standing up to your principles
                        where many would have caved in. Change is tramautic, but your personal life
                        will sort itself out. Enjoy SF!

                        Brett

                        -------
                        Brett Gaylor
                        http://www.etherworks.ca
                        http://www.homelessnation.org

                      • humancloner1997
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 4, 2006
                          If that is the case Josh, I stand corrected. I guess I was on "the
                          jury" in a trail itself instead of on a Grand Jury.

                          I thought you had an opportunity to have your lawyer present, that the
                          Grand Jury were presented with "the law", the supposed evidence that a
                          crime had been committed and that they then "decided" if there was a
                          "reasonable possibility" that the law had been broken and that the
                          accused "might" have committed the crime.

                          I dropped out of law school after one semester because I wanted to
                          "fight for justice" but I discovered "the law" was like a complicated
                          game of Chess which was more about maneuvering than about reaching a
                          just conclusion.

                          One of the lawyers speaking out at the press conference about your
                          charges made such a powerful case that if possible damage to a police
                          car (partly financed with Federal money) could be used to turn charges
                          about civil misconduct into a Federal case, anything that happened in
                          a school which got Federal grants, etc. could become grounds for the
                          Attorney General to intervene, etc...

                          That argument was so overwhelming in challenging the basis of this
                          being a Federal case, it seemed to me the Grand Jury would quickly
                          dismiss the charges.

                          I haven't read all the court papers, etc. However, if what you say is
                          true (and I have no reason to doubt that), then your case should be
                          used to highlight changes needed in our judicial system & educate the
                          general public in that regard.

                          My testimony to Congress in 2001 saying a cult called the Raelians
                          should be "prosecuted for fraud" because they were saying they could
                          clone a child, even a child combining the genes of a same-sex couple,
                          for $300,000 in a clinic that didn't exist, triggered a Grand Jury
                          Investigation in upstate New York.

                          In those days, Grand Jury Investigations/hearings were closed to the
                          public. No indictments for "attempted Internet fraud" were ever
                          handed down and no one ever found out what really went on.

                          If a group as disliked as the Raelians, with all the evidence as to
                          these activities very public, could avoid even being brought to trial,
                          I assumed the Grand Jury system had shielded them.

                          I'm pretty sure they used "jurisdictional" arguments. The minute they
                          got their first costumer/sucker, they set up a separate corporation
                          with him as president of it. That "legal gimmic" got them off the
                          hook even though they were "morally guilty".

                          Like I said, "the law" is too much like a game of chess.

                          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Josh Wolf <inthecity@...> wrote:

                          > The Grand Jury system is one of many problems involved with my case
                          > and I respectfully disagree with your sentiment humancloner; the
                          > grand jury returns indictments far more frequently than they dismiss
                          > them. They were originally established as secret sessions in order to
                          > protect the name and honor of those accused. At that point in time,
                          > the grand jury was not driven by the US Attorney. At the point that
                          > the US Attorney became the official presence in the grand jury - the
                          > secretive nature of the grand jury became far more of a detriment
                          > than the importance of not having your name tarnished for a crime you
                          > had no part in. In essence, a grand jury is a sort of pre-trial where
                          > it is just witnesses, the prosecutor, and the jury itself.
                          >
                          > As you are not permitted a lawyer, as a judge is not present to be a
                          > sort of unbiased observer, and as the proceedings are secretive; the
                          > grand jury itself is an institution that is contrary to the
                          > principles of a democratic justice system.
                          >
                          > Josh
                          >

                          > On Sep 3, 2006, at 11:15 AM, humancloner1997 wrote:
                          >

                          > > It isn't "the grand jury system" that's the problem. It's the abuse
                          > > of the judicial system by the Federal Government that's the problem.
                          > > In all probability, the grand jury will refuse to indict Josh.
                          > > I served on a grand jury about a year ago. The Jersey City Police
                          > > were obviously trying to railroad someone they didn't like on a
                          > > bogus "attempted murder" and "illegal possession of amunition"
                          > > charges. We voted unamimously to DISMISS the charges. The grand jury
                          > > is/should be/is designed to be/ an innocent's person's first line of
                          > > defense.
                          > >
                          > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Olsen"
                          > > <reallystinkyguy@> wrote:
                          > > >

                          > > > Woohoo! Welcome back to civilian life my man.
                          > > >
                          > > > One of the main things I've learned from your plight is -- man, the
                          > > grand jury system is sure
                          > > > fucked up. I suppose that's an understatement.

                          > "We can bomb the world to pieces, but we can't bomb it into to peace."
                          > "Power to the peaceful!"
                          >
                          > Spearhead - Bomb the World

                        • Susan Kirkpatrick
                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 4, 2006
                            Oh man... friggin roomate struggles... I think I'd rather be in jail. I'll
                            have to make a vlog post about it sometime soon--if I do, it'll be just for
                            you.

                            Susan
                            http://vlog.kitykity.com

                            On 9/2/06, Josh Wolf <inthecity@...> wrote:

                            > That's right, I'm free - at least for now. even though I was only
                            > there for 30 days, I'm still a little overwhelmed and it might be a
                            > day or two before I'm back to being active online and responding to e-
                            > mails in my typical timely fashion. I've got a lot to catch up on,
                            > and some rather serious roommate issues that I returned to - so
                            > please wish me luck in both these struggles.
                            >
                            > Josh

                            > "We can bomb the world to pieces, but we can't bomb it into to peace."
                            > "Power to the peaceful!"
                            >
                            > Spearhead - Bomb the World

                          • Stephanie Bryant
                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 4, 2006
                              I am so unbelievably glad you're out, Josh. I'm sure the letter I
                              wrote to you will never reach you now-- one piece of mail I'm
                              delighted to have miss its destination, given the cause.

                              --Stephanie

                              On 9/2/06, Josh Wolf <inthecity@...> wrote:
                              > I've got a lot to catch up on,
                              > and some rather serious roommate issues that I returned to - so
                              > please wish me luck in both these struggles.

                              --
                              Stephanie Bryant
                              Author, Videoblogging for Dummies
                              mortaine@...
                              http://www.mortaine.com/
                            • Zenophon Abraham
                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 4, 2006
                                YIPPEE!

                                Welcome back! Sorry to read about the roommate
                                problem. Me and Jeff (you know who) are not doing any
                                deals! (YEAH!) But the main thing is you're outta
                                there.

                                http://mail.yahoo.com