Re: Creating a simple front page?

  • Casey McKinnon
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2006
      Hey Jacqueline,

      We posted about this last week:

      Hope this helps you,
      Casey

      ---
      Galacticast ~ Sci-Fi Lo-Fi
      http://www.galacticast.com/

      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "jlesagekrause" <jaq@...> wrote:

      > Hello, all.
      > I'm just about to start a vlog and looking to create a simple front page
      > that looks more like Rocketboom's front page (just a single playing
      > video and a menu) than like a traditional blog page. The blog
      > functionality would still be there, just not the first thing you see.
      >
      > Does anyone have any insights into how to create this? Is the first
      > page a customizable template from one of the blog hosting services or
      > is it separate? Help...
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Jacqueline

    • Michael Verdi
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 2, 2006
        Also, no matter what blogging system you are using, the basic idea is to set the number of posts that show on the index page to one and look for templates or themes that don't have a sidebar (or include that functionality in other places).

        -Verdi

        --
        http://michaelverdi.com
        Author of Secrets Of Videoblogging - http://tinyurl.com/grl6b
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 2, 2006
          In WordPress I'm using a modified version of Simplr - http://www.plaintxt.org/themes/simplr/ since it's one page and supports everything I need.

          --
          http://michaelverdi.com
          Author of Secrets Of Videoblogging - http://tinyurl.com/grl6b
          Learn to videoblog: http://freevlog.org & http://node101.org

          --
          -CarLBanks
          blog: http://project-c.info
          videos: http://thenameiwantedwastaken.com
        • usadutch2001
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 2, 2006
            I'm tweaking the galactycast WordPress theme here;

            http://test.wpblogger.com/

            still needs some work but it is getting there.

            klaas
            http://vlogassist.com

            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Verdi" <michael@...> wrote:

            > Also, no matter what blogging system you are using, the basic idea
            is to set
            > the number of posts that show on the index page to one and look for
            > templates or themes that don't have a sidebar (or include that
            functionality
            > in other places).
            >
            > -Verdi
            >
            > On 8/1/06, Casey McKinnon <caseymckinnon@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hey Jacqueline,
            > >
            > > We posted about this last week:

            > > Hope this helps you,
            > > Casey
            > >
            > > ---
            > > Galacticast ~ Sci-Fi Lo-Fi
            > > http://www.galacticast.com/
            > >

            > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com
            <videoblogging%40yahoogroups.com>,
            > > "jlesagekrause" <jaq@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hello, all.
            > > > I'm just about to start a vlog and looking to create a simple
            front page
            > > > that looks more like Rocketboom's front page (just a single playing
            > > > video and a menu) than like a traditional blog page. The blog
            > > > functionality would still be there, just not the first thing you
            see.

            > > > Does anyone have any insights into how to create this? Is the first
            > > > page a customizable template from one of the blog hosting
            services or
            > > > is it separate? Help...
            > > >
            > > > Thanks,
            > > > Jacqueline
            > > >

            > --
            > http://michaelverdi.com
            > Author of Secrets Of Videoblogging - http://tinyurl.com/grl6b
            > Learn to videoblog: http://freevlog.org & http://node101.org

          • jlesagekrause
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 3, 2006
              Thanks to everyone who responded about creating a simple single-post
              front page. The Simplr and Galacticast templates / themes will be
              really useful. Also note that Drew at Rocketboom put up some info on
              his wiki about their front page under Template Hacks.

              One more question--in order to do this, can I just use Blogger or
              WordPress.com templates and hosting all-in-one, or do I have to use
              WordPress.org or Movable Type with a hosting service?

              Thanks again!
              Jacqueline

              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "jlesagekrause" <jaq@...> wrote:

              > Hello, all.
              > I'm just about to start a vlog and looking to create a simple front page
              > that looks more like Rocketboom's front page (just a single playing
              > video and a menu) than like a traditional blog page. The blog
              > functionality would still be there, just not the first thing you see.
              >
              > Does anyone have any insights into how to create this? Is the first
              > page a customizable template from one of the blog hosting services or
              > is it separate? Help...
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Jacqueline

            • usadutch2001
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 3, 2006
                Hi Jacqueline

                >can I just use Blogger or WordPress.com templates and hosting all-in-one?

                Yes you can;
                However there is no way to install your own templates, you can only
                change them in a limited way. If you want to test some templates (all
                widget ready) and plugins (vPIP) feel free to create an account on
                http://wpblogger.com a multi-user (test) WordPress like Wordpress.com
                but geared towards videobloggers and podcasters.

                > or do I have to use WordPress.org or Movable Type with a hosting
                service?

                For maximum flexiblity you would like to install and run it on your
                own website. I advise WordPress (I used MT before) there are tons of
                templates and plugins available for WordPress. You need a domainname
                and hosting service to do that.

                Klaas
                http://vlogassist.com