Re: AWESOME Public Domain Site

  • Enric
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 1, 2006
      Nice design.

      "Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe (1941)"!

      ;),

      Enric

      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Casey McKinnon"
      <caseymckinnon@...> wrote:

      > One of our viewers sent us this link last night and I finally checked
      > it out this morning. It's apparently a new Public Domain video site
      > that includes movies, TV shows, documentaries, cartoons, etc.:
      >
      > http://www.jonhs.net/freemovies/
      >
      > The BEST feature of the site is that it's set up with blogging
      > software with an embedded flash Google Video in each post. It kicks
      > Archive.org in the ass on quality (and for any of you who know me
      > well, you know what a stickler I am for size and quality!)
      >
      > Currently watching Plan 9 From Outer Space for the umpteenth time,
      > Casey
      >
      > ---
      > Galacticast ~ Sci-Fi Lo-Fi
      > http://www.galacticast.com/

    • Markus Sandy
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 1, 2006

        Casey McKinnon wrote:

        > Hey Markus,
        >
        > *If you look up the definition of public domain, you'll see that PD
        > doesn't only apply to works that have "fallen" into it.

        i understand that ("meet john doe" appears to be an example - it has not "fallen" out of copyright by date but is claimed to be in the public domain).

        but apparently the person running the site does not:

        1. What is public domain?

        "When a work's copyright or patent restrictions expire, it enters the public domain and may be used by anyone for any purpose." -wikipedia

        "Works become part of the public domain, meaning no longer OWNED by their creators, when they reach a certain age and/or when the original creator/owner does not renew their copyright." -publicdomaintorrents.com

        Link: When works pass into the public domain

        also, as far as I can tell, "Plan 9 from Outer Space"is still very much in copyright by DCA.  Note that archive.org has pulled it offline with the usual message "not available due to issues with the item's content".

        however, P9fOS is shown on the wikipedia page of public domain films. on the other hand, all the articles on the web that say that P9fOS is now in the public domain generally refer to the archive page as proof (e.g., see slashdot and others).

        google video lists it as PD, but that was probably typed in by the person who uploaded it

        Note also, that there is more than one version of P9fOS in release (a recent colorized version that appears to be copyrighted).

        all very confusing.

        *His contact info doesn't take you to Smokey the Bear, you were
        supposed to click on the word "contact". Everything underneath is
        banner ads. (Confusing, I know... I almost made the same mistake).

        ah, i see now.  thanks.  not contact info.  just a contact form.

        --

        Markus Sandy

        http://apperceptions.org
        http://spinflow.org
      • Casey McKinnon
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 1, 2006
          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Markus Sandy <markus@...> wrote:

          > > * 1. What is public domain?*
          > >
          > > "When a work's copyright or patent restrictions expire, it enters
          > > the public domain and may be used by anyone for any purpose."
          > > -wikipedia <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_domain>

          Markus- There is more of a definition at that link than was quoted
          above... it's worth a complete read.

          Casey

          ---
          Galacticast ~ Sci-Fi Lo-Fi
          http://www.galacticast.com/
        • Markus Sandy
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 1, 2006
            absolutely.  i agree

            his link was just a partial quote

            Casey McKinnon wrote:

            --- In videoblogging@ yahoogroups. com, Markus Sandy <markus@...> wrote:

            > > * 1. What is public domain?*
            > >
            > > "When a work's copyright or patent restrictions expire, it enters
            > > the public domain and may be used by anyone for any purpose."
            > > -wikipedia <http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Public_domain>

            Markus- There is more of a definition at that link than was quoted
            above... it's worth a complete read.

            Casey

            ---
            Galacticast ~ Sci-Fi Lo-Fi
            http://www.galactic ast.com/

            --

            Markus Sandy

            http://apperceptions.org
            http://spinflow.org
          • Bill Streeter
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 1, 2006
              The way I understand it very little created after 1923 is public
              domain in the United States, unless the copyright owner has
              purposfully put the work in the public domain.

              Also there are a lot of things on that site that common sense would
              tell you that it's very improbable that they are PD--the MTV and
              Lolapaloza footage for instance.

              Bill Streeter
              LO-FI SAINT LOUIS
              www.lofistl.com

              <http://www.publicdomaintorrents.com/>

              > > Link: When works pass into the public domain
              > > <http://www.unc.edu/%7Eunclng/public-d.htm>
              > >

              > also, as far as I can tell, "Plan 9 from Outer Space"is still very
              much
              > in copyright by DCA. Note that archive.org has pulled it offline
              with
              > the usual message "not available due to issues with the item's
              content".

              > however, P9fOS is shown on the wikipedia page of public domain
              films. on
              > the other hand, all the articles on the web that say that P9fOS is
              now
              > in the public domain generally refer to the archive page as proof
              (e.g.,
              > see slashdot and others).
              >
              > google video lists it as PD, but that was probably typed in by the
              > person who uploaded it
              >
              > Note also, that there is more than one version of P9fOS in release
              (a
              > recent colorized version that appears to be copyrighted).
              >
              > all very confusing.
              >

              > > *His contact info doesn't take you to Smokey the Bear, you were
              > > supposed to click on the word "contact". Everything underneath is
              > > banner ads. (Confusing, I know... I almost made the same
              mistake).

              > ah, i see now. thanks. not contact info. just a contact form.
              >
              > --
              >

              > Markus Sandy
              >
              > http://apperceptions.org
              > http://spinflow.org

            • Casey McKinnon
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 1, 2006
                Not that it means anything to any of you since my work is currently
                under a CC licence, but it is my dream to have my works end up in the
                public domain when I die. Hopefully, my will will be enough to make
                this happen.

                N.B. Please don't kill me to make this happen sooner. Thank you.
                Casey

                ---
                Galacticast ~ Sci-Fi Lo-Fi
                http://www.galacticast.com/

                --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Streeter" <bill@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > films. on
                > > the other hand, all the articles on the web that say that P9fOS is
                > now
                > > in the public domain generally refer to the archive page as proof
                > (e.g.,
                > > see slashdot and others).
                > >
                > > google video lists it as PD, but that was probably typed in by the
                > > person who uploaded it
                > >
                > > Note also, that there is more than one version of P9fOS in release
                > (a
                > > recent colorized version that appears to be copyrighted).
                > >
                > > all very confusing.
                > >

                > > > *His contact info doesn't take you to Smokey the Bear, you were
                > > > supposed to click on the word "contact". Everything underneath is
                > > > banner ads. (Confusing, I know... I almost made the same
                > mistake).
                > > >

                > > ah, i see now. thanks. not contact info. just a contact form.

              • Heath
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 1, 2006
                  > N.B. Please don't kill me to make this happen sooner. Thank you.
                  > Casey

                  Well only because you said please.........but darn it......

                  Heath - The Batman Geek
                  http://batmangeek7.blogspot.com

                  <caseymckinnon@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > > >
                  > > > however, P9fOS is shown on the wikipedia page of public domain
                  > > films. on
                  > > > the other hand, all the articles on the web that say that P9fOS
                  is
                  > > now
                  > > > in the public domain generally refer to the archive page as
                  proof
                  > > (e.g.,
                  > > > see slashdot and others).
                  > > >
                  > > > google video lists it as PD, but that was probably typed in by
                  the
                  > > > person who uploaded it
                  > > >
                  > > > Note also, that there is more than one version of P9fOS in
                  release
                  > > (a
                  > > > recent colorized version that appears to be copyrighted).
                  > > >
                  > > > all very confusing.

                  > > mistake).
                  > > > >

                  > > > ah, i see now. thanks. not contact info. just a contact form.

                • Chumley
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 1, 2006
                    --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Casey McKinnon"
                    <caseymckinnon@...> wrote:
                    Yeah, I was aware of this guy. He had one of my episodes hotlinked for
                    a little while. I noticed it in my logs.

                    Rev. Chumley