Re: AWESOME Public Domain Site

  • Casey McKinnon
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 1, 2006
      Pardon my last post, my better half has informed me that once it goes
      in the public domain it never goes back. Phew...

      Casey

      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Sullivan"
      <sulleleven@...> wrote:

      > great collection.... thanks for the find!
      >
      > note:
      >
      > * 3. Who hosts these files?*
      >
      > None of the audio/visual content is hosted on this site. They're all
      > embedded from other sites such as Google Video and YouTube.
      Therefore; this
      > site has no control over the copyright issues of the streaming
      media. The
      > owner of this site only finds the media and makes it visible for the
      masses.
      > Nothing else.
      >

      > On 8/1/06, Casey McKinnon <caseymckinnon@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > One of our viewers sent us this link last night and I finally checked
      > > it out this morning. It's apparently a new Public Domain video site
      > > that includes movies, TV shows, documentaries, cartoons, etc.:
      > >
      > > http://www.jonhs.net/freemovies/
      > >
      > > The BEST feature of the site is that it's set up with blogging
      > > software with an embedded flash Google Video in each post. It kicks
      > > Archive.org in the ass on quality (and for any of you who know me
      > > well, you know what a stickler I am for size and quality!)
      > >
      > > Currently watching Plan 9 From Outer Space for the umpteenth time,
      > > Casey
      > >
      > > ---
      > > Galacticast ~ Sci-Fi Lo-Fi
      > > http://www.galacticast.com/

      > Sull
      > http://vlogdir.com
      > http://SpreadTheMedia.org
      > http://interdigitate.com

    • Casey McKinnon
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 1, 2006
        Hey Markus,

        *If you look up the definition of public domain, you'll see that PD
        doesn't only apply to works that have "fallen" into it.

        *His contact info doesn't take you to Smokey the Bear, you were
        supposed to click on the word "contact". Everything underneath is
        banner ads. (Confusing, I know... I almost made the same mistake).

        Casey

        ---
        Galacticast ~ Sci-Fi Lo-Fi
        http://www.galacticast.com/

        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Markus Sandy <markus@...> wrote:

        > hmmm, some odd things about this site:
        >
        > * it lnoy says that "most" of the videos are in the public domain.
        > However a quick glance down the page shows that this is not true (e.g.,
        > plan 9, ellen degeneris, jimi hendrix, many films made in the last 50
        > years, etc). Only a small number are in fact PD.
        >
        > * his contact info link takes you to the smoky the bear site
        >
        > * some of the vids are acutally same as archive copy, just rehosted on
        > google or elsewhere (take a careful look at Cabinet of Dr. Caligari for
        > example, obviously from the same print as archive. no diff in quality)
        >
        > nice collection though
        >

        > Casey McKinnon wrote:
        >
        > > One of our viewers sent us this link last night and I finally checked
        > > it out this morning. It's apparently a new Public Domain video site
        > > that includes movies, TV shows, documentaries, cartoons, etc.:
        > >
        > > http://www.jonhs net/freemovies/ <http://www.jonhs.net/freemovies/>
        > >
        > > The BEST feature of the site is that it's set up with blogging
        > > software with an embedded flash Google Video in each post. It kicks
        > > Archive.org in the ass on quality (and for any of you who know me
        > > well, you know what a stickler I am for size and quality!)
        > >
        > > Currently watching Plan 9 From Outer Space for the umpteenth time,
        > > Casey
        > >
        > > ---
        > > Galacticast ~ Sci-Fi Lo-Fi
        > > http://www.galactic ast.com/ <http://www.galacticast.com/>
        > >

        > --
        >

        > Markus Sandy
        >
        > http://apperceptions.org
        > http://spinflow.org

      • Enric
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 1, 2006
          Nice design.

          "Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe (1941)"!

          ;),

          Enric

          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Casey McKinnon"
          <caseymckinnon@...> wrote:

          > One of our viewers sent us this link last night and I finally checked
          > it out this morning. It's apparently a new Public Domain video site
          > that includes movies, TV shows, documentaries, cartoons, etc.:
          >
          > http://www.jonhs.net/freemovies/
          >
          > The BEST feature of the site is that it's set up with blogging
          > software with an embedded flash Google Video in each post. It kicks
          > Archive.org in the ass on quality (and for any of you who know me
          > well, you know what a stickler I am for size and quality!)
          >
          > Currently watching Plan 9 From Outer Space for the umpteenth time,
          > Casey
          >
          > ---
          > Galacticast ~ Sci-Fi Lo-Fi
          > http://www.galacticast.com/

        • Markus Sandy
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 1, 2006

            Casey McKinnon wrote:

            > Hey Markus,
            >
            > *If you look up the definition of public domain, you'll see that PD
            > doesn't only apply to works that have "fallen" into it.

            i understand that ("meet john doe" appears to be an example - it has not "fallen" out of copyright by date but is claimed to be in the public domain).

            but apparently the person running the site does not:

            1. What is public domain?

            "When a work's copyright or patent restrictions expire, it enters the public domain and may be used by anyone for any purpose." -wikipedia

            "Works become part of the public domain, meaning no longer OWNED by their creators, when they reach a certain age and/or when the original creator/owner does not renew their copyright." -publicdomaintorrents.com

            Link: When works pass into the public domain

            also, as far as I can tell, "Plan 9 from Outer Space"is still very much in copyright by DCA.  Note that archive.org has pulled it offline with the usual message "not available due to issues with the item's content".

            however, P9fOS is shown on the wikipedia page of public domain films. on the other hand, all the articles on the web that say that P9fOS is now in the public domain generally refer to the archive page as proof (e.g., see slashdot and others).

            google video lists it as PD, but that was probably typed in by the person who uploaded it

            Note also, that there is more than one version of P9fOS in release (a recent colorized version that appears to be copyrighted).

            all very confusing.

            *His contact info doesn't take you to Smokey the Bear, you were
            supposed to click on the word "contact". Everything underneath is
            banner ads. (Confusing, I know... I almost made the same mistake).

            ah, i see now.  thanks.  not contact info.  just a contact form.

            --

            Markus Sandy

            http://apperceptions.org
            http://spinflow.org
          • Casey McKinnon
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 1, 2006
              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Markus Sandy <markus@...> wrote:

              > > * 1. What is public domain?*
              > >
              > > "When a work's copyright or patent restrictions expire, it enters
              > > the public domain and may be used by anyone for any purpose."
              > > -wikipedia <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_domain>

              Markus- There is more of a definition at that link than was quoted
              above... it's worth a complete read.

              Casey

              ---
              Galacticast ~ Sci-Fi Lo-Fi
              http://www.galacticast.com/
            • Markus Sandy
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 1, 2006
                absolutely.  i agree

                his link was just a partial quote

                Casey McKinnon wrote:

                --- In videoblogging@ yahoogroups. com, Markus Sandy <markus@...> wrote:

                > > * 1. What is public domain?*
                > >
                > > "When a work's copyright or patent restrictions expire, it enters
                > > the public domain and may be used by anyone for any purpose."
                > > -wikipedia <http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Public_domain>

                Markus- There is more of a definition at that link than was quoted
                above... it's worth a complete read.

                Casey

                ---
                Galacticast ~ Sci-Fi Lo-Fi
                http://www.galactic ast.com/

                --

                Markus Sandy

                http://apperceptions.org
                http://spinflow.org
              • Bill Streeter
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 1, 2006
                  The way I understand it very little created after 1923 is public
                  domain in the United States, unless the copyright owner has
                  purposfully put the work in the public domain.

                  Also there are a lot of things on that site that common sense would
                  tell you that it's very improbable that they are PD--the MTV and
                  Lolapaloza footage for instance.

                  Bill Streeter
                  LO-FI SAINT LOUIS
                  www.lofistl.com

                  <http://www.publicdomaintorrents.com/>

                  > > Link: When works pass into the public domain
                  > > <http://www.unc.edu/%7Eunclng/public-d.htm>
                  > >

                  > also, as far as I can tell, "Plan 9 from Outer Space"is still very
                  much
                  > in copyright by DCA. Note that archive.org has pulled it offline
                  with
                  > the usual message "not available due to issues with the item's
                  content".

                  > however, P9fOS is shown on the wikipedia page of public domain
                  films. on
                  > the other hand, all the articles on the web that say that P9fOS is
                  now
                  > in the public domain generally refer to the archive page as proof
                  (e.g.,
                  > see slashdot and others).
                  >
                  > google video lists it as PD, but that was probably typed in by the
                  > person who uploaded it
                  >
                  > Note also, that there is more than one version of P9fOS in release
                  (a
                  > recent colorized version that appears to be copyrighted).
                  >
                  > all very confusing.
                  >

                  > > *His contact info doesn't take you to Smokey the Bear, you were
                  > > supposed to click on the word "contact". Everything underneath is
                  > > banner ads. (Confusing, I know... I almost made the same
                  mistake).

                  > ah, i see now. thanks. not contact info. just a contact form.
                  >
                  > --
                  >

                  > Markus Sandy
                  >
                  > http://apperceptions.org
                  > http://spinflow.org

                • Casey McKinnon
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 1, 2006
                    Not that it means anything to any of you since my work is currently
                    under a CC licence, but it is my dream to have my works end up in the
                    public domain when I die. Hopefully, my will will be enough to make
                    this happen.

                    N.B. Please don't kill me to make this happen sooner. Thank you.
                    Casey

                    ---
                    Galacticast ~ Sci-Fi Lo-Fi
                    http://www.galacticast.com/

                    --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Streeter" <bill@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > films. on
                    > > the other hand, all the articles on the web that say that P9fOS is
                    > now
                    > > in the public domain generally refer to the archive page as proof
                    > (e.g.,
                    > > see slashdot and others).
                    > >
                    > > google video lists it as PD, but that was probably typed in by the
                    > > person who uploaded it
                    > >
                    > > Note also, that there is more than one version of P9fOS in release
                    > (a
                    > > recent colorized version that appears to be copyrighted).
                    > >
                    > > all very confusing.
                    > >

                    > > > *His contact info doesn't take you to Smokey the Bear, you were
                    > > > supposed to click on the word "contact". Everything underneath is
                    > > > banner ads. (Confusing, I know... I almost made the same
                    > mistake).
                    > > >

                    > > ah, i see now. thanks. not contact info. just a contact form.

                  • Heath
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 1, 2006
                      > N.B. Please don't kill me to make this happen sooner. Thank you.
                      > Casey

                      Well only because you said please.........but darn it......

                      Heath - The Batman Geek
                      http://batmangeek7.blogspot.com

                      <caseymckinnon@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > > >
                      > > > however, P9fOS is shown on the wikipedia page of public domain
                      > > films. on
                      > > > the other hand, all the articles on the web that say that P9fOS
                      is
                      > > now
                      > > > in the public domain generally refer to the archive page as
                      proof
                      > > (e.g.,
                      > > > see slashdot and others).
                      > > >
                      > > > google video lists it as PD, but that was probably typed in by
                      the
                      > > > person who uploaded it
                      > > >
                      > > > Note also, that there is more than one version of P9fOS in
                      release
                      > > (a
                      > > > recent colorized version that appears to be copyrighted).
                      > > >
                      > > > all very confusing.

                      > > mistake).
                      > > > >

                      > > > ah, i see now. thanks. not contact info. just a contact form.

                    • Chumley
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 1, 2006
                        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Casey McKinnon"
                        <caseymckinnon@...> wrote:
                        Yeah, I was aware of this guy. He had one of my episodes hotlinked for
                        a little while. I noticed it in my logs.

                        Rev. Chumley