Vlogger's Video Conference

  • johnleeke
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 1, 2006
      Due to an interuption in the regularly scheculed conferences, I have
      set up this conference for today, now in progress:

      http://flash.kmi.open.ac.uk:8080/fm/index.php?pwd=2635c7-4892

      John Leeke
    • johnleeke
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 15, 2006
        In the past there was a central place to announce the regular
        vlogger's video conferences. It was at the VoxMedia Wiki
        (http://www.voxmedia.org/wiki/Videoblogger_Videoconferences).
        It always seemed effective and convenient to announce and learn about
        pre-scheduled FlashMeeting conferences in this one central place.

        However there seems to be a new policy at that page making it only for
        the accumulation of past conferences, but not for announcement of
        future meetings. The page suggests announcements at other places such
        as the Yahoo vlogger's group.

        A difficulty arrises because the FlashMeeting server gets booked up at
        least a few days in advance lately, so last minute scheduling of a
        vlogger's conference is difficult. They could be scheduled weeks in
        advance, but announcing the schedule on the Yahoo group, for example,
        would mean that the announcement would be "lost" in the dark history
        of long forgotten messages by the time a meeting comes up. Of course,
        someone could make a second annnouncement as each meeting comes up,
        but who has time to do anything twice these days? That's why is was so
        convenient to announce the messages at the voxmedia wiki.

        In any case, today the FlashMeeting server is booked up, if you need a
        vlogger's conference today at the usual time of 3:00pm EDT USA, feel
        free to use my UserPlane account:

        http://www.userplane.com/chatlite/directory/detail.cfm?chid=98063&search=historic%20homeworks&name=Search%20Results%3A&cid=3000&guid=6A29A421%2D74BE%2D47D0%2D90F9%2D529BEC959A2B

        Just go there at the regular meeting time of Saturday 3:00pm EDT or
        Tuesday 8:00pm (EDT USA), you can
        log in as a guest with any screen name, then click on "Chat." (the
        service is always open 24/7, no need
        to register, I think not anyway, I have not used this service a lot)

        John Leeke
        by hammer and hand great works do stand
        by pen and thought best words are wrought
        by cam and light he shoots it right
      • Susan Kirkpatrick
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 15, 2006
          Just like you're making this message right now, I think it's easiest to do the booking weeks in advance--someone can then just drop a short two-line post here to the group each tues. and sat.

          Susan
          http://vlog.kitykity.com

          On 7/15/06, johnleeke <johnleeke@...> wrote:

[...]

        • Markus Sandy
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 15, 2006
            this is not correct

            the page was initially setup with the help of the to archive and
            coordinate the Flashmeeting videoblogging conferences as part of a study
            for the Open University

            if you schedule a *Flashmeeting related to vidoeblogging* that you want
            to share, please DO post the url there either before or after the fact
            (lately people have been doing it after the fact, if at all)

            --

            Markus Sandy

            http://apperceptions.org
            http://spinflow.org
          • Markus Sandy
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 15, 2006
              you are correct

              over the past year the number of flashmeeting users has grown significantly and there are a lot more meetings being scheduled these days for various groups

              i used to book conferences over a month in advance and even then i would occasionally hit times that were already booked

              Susan Kirkpatrick wrote:

[...]

            • Andreas Haugstrup
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 15, 2006
                On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 20:22:21 +0200, johnleeke
                <johnleeke@...> wrote:

                > http://www.userplane.com/chatlite/directory/detail.cfm?chid=98063&search=historic%20homeworks&name=Search%20Results%3A&cid=3000&guid=6A29A421%2D74BE%2D47D0%2D90F9%2D529BEC959A2B

                That has go to be the most unfriendly and complex system I have ever
                experienced. Someone with access to Flashmeeting please please please book
                a room there well in advance so we can use that system. I could not for
                the life of me figure out how to actually chat using that userplane system.

                --
                Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen

                    Andreas writes:
                    > That has go to be the most unfriendly and complex system I have ever
                    > experienced. ...I could not for
                    > the life of me figure out how to actually chat using that userplane
                    system.

                    I agree. FlashMeeting does have UserPlane beat for usability. When I
                    was researching video conferencing services last winter three of my
                    criteria were, 1. no special software to download and install, and 2.
                    a no dollar cost option for reviewing the service, and 3. no
                    registration, signup or "joining" any "community" for users. The only
                    two I found were UserPlane and FlashMeeting. After trying them both
                    out I settled on FlashMeeting.

                    Do you know of any others?

                    User plane did have another interesting service, which works much
                    better than their conference. You can record a video from you USB
                    camera and email it. Of course, since last winter two or three other
                    online record and edit services, eyespot.com, etc. have cropped up.

                    John
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 15, 2006
                      have you tried http://collab.nl?

                      --

                      Markus Sandy

                      http://apperceptions.org
                      http://spinflow.org
                    • Paul Knight
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 15, 2006
                        Hi markus,

                        I was wondering about flash meetins and stuff any chance you can give me a ring via skype.  I want to do what is right.

                        Paul Knight

                        --

                        Markus Sandy

                        http://apperceptions.org
                        http://spinflow.org

                      • johnleeke
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 15, 2006
                          > have you tried http://collab.nl?

                          Yes I have. It works way better that UserPlane. I'm surprised I didn't
                          think of recommending it here as the FlashMeeting alternative.

                          I really like the sketching feature built into Collab. Plus
                          translation--too much!

                          Do you know if the folks who developed Collab are still working on it?
                          From some the info there it looks like it may have been on the back
                          burner since early 2005. I've tried emailing and tracking down the
                          folks involved but go no where. I'd be willing to pay a fee to have an
                          account there for upgraded services on their conference and to use
                          some of the other "tools" and programs at Collab--fascinating.

                          John
                        • Markus Sandy
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 15, 2006
                            what are you wondering about?

                            --

                            Markus Sandy

                            http://apperception s.org
                            http://spinflow. org

                            --

                            Markus Sandy

                            http://apperceptions.org
                            http://spinflow.org
                          • Paul Knight
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 15, 2006
                              Markus,

                              Well there is still a following for the bi weekly get together's and I don't mind booking them, I could probably help with the 1 hour between bst and gmt problems that we have experienced of late.  I just wondered if you don't mind me taking the reins and booking the bi weekly flashmeetings in future.

                              No problem if you still wanted to.

                              Paul

                              --

                              Markus Sandy

                              http://apperception s.org
                              http://spinflow. org

                              --

                              Markus Sandy

                              http://apperceptions.org
                              http://spinflow.org

                            • Markus Sandy
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 15, 2006
                                i don't think we need anyone to take the reins here. anyone with a flashmeeting account can book a meeting anytime space is available and there is something worth meeting about

                                i'd like to encourage folks who do schedule meetings that they choose more convenient times for folks in asia/pacific and europe as many folks have commented on the meeting times being too US centric

                                if anyone does schedule flashmeetings, please to add them to the wiki

                                as far as announcements go, lots of things have been tried including automatic reminders, calendars, wikis, blogs, etc. but I find that an email to this group several hours and another several minutes before the meeting works best.

                                --

                                Markus Sandy

                                http://apperception s.org
                                http://spinflow. org

                                --

                                Markus Sandy

                                http://apperceptions.org
                                http://spinflow.org

                              --

                              Markus Sandy

                              http://apperceptions.org
                              http://spinflow.org
                            • bordercollieaustralianshepherd
                              Message 15 of 17 , Jul 15, 2006
                                This looks like the foundation of collab.nl
                                http://moock.org/unity/

                                I am visiting the site collab.nl now and the people are friendly.

                                --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Markus Sandy <markus@...> wrote:

                                > i don't think we need anyone to take the reins here. anyone with a
                                > flashmeeting account can book a meeting anytime space is available and
                                > there is something worth meeting about
                                >
                                > i'd like to encourage folks who do schedule meetings that they choose
                                > more convenient times for folks in asia/pacific and europe as many
                                folks
                                > have commented on the meeting times being too US centric
                                >
                                > if anyone does schedule flashmeetings, please to add them to the wiki
                                >
                                > as far as announcements go, lots of things have been tried including
                                > automatic reminders, calendars, wikis, blogs, etc. but I find that an
                                > email to this group several hours and another several minutes before
                                the
                                > meeting works best.
                                >

                                > Paul Knight wrote:
                                >
                                > > Markus,
                                > >
                                > > Well there is still a following for the bi weekly get together's
                                and I
                                > > don't mind booking them, I could probably help with the 1 hour
                                between
                                > > bst and gmt problems that we have experienced of late. I just
                                > > wondered if you don't mind me taking the reins and booking the bi
                                > > weekly flashmeetings in future.
                                > >
                                > > No problem if you still wanted to.
                                > >
                                > > Paul
                                > >
                                > > On 15 Jul 2006, at 23:01, Markus Sandy wrote:
                                > >
                                > >> what are you wondering about?

                                When I
                                The only

                                > >>--
                                > >>

                                > >>Markus Sandy
                                > >>
                                > >>http://apperceptions.org
                                > >>http://spinflow.org
                                > >>

                                > --
                                >

                                > Markus Sandy
                                >
                                > http://apperceptions.org
                                > http://spinflow.org

                              • Paul Knight
                                Message 16 of 17 , Jul 16, 2006
                                  That might be a god topic for discussion at a flash meeting, better than the inane stuff usually discussed. I like the idea of re scheduling meetings that would include people from the rest of the world, these times are more US Centric, however they work for me, trouble is changing them might alienate some US members, tough one, I propose then the Tuesday meeting this week part of it would be dedicated "How we get more people from different countries in on a Flash Meeting, without the usual insomniac, nocturnal activities of a passed midnight Tuesday meeting.

                                  I have booked the Tuesday and Saturday meetings for this week, you can check out the times on the wiki, after that, lets hope, there might be changes.  We must as you say, please everyone and help spread the word and virtual meet ups for more non-US based vloggers.

                                  I will look into time zones, because I am sure there might be an answer some where.  I mean wouldn't it be great if we could have a conference with the usual guys from the US, Richard BF, Nathan Miller, Raymond, Andreas, some dutch guys, me, some guys and gals from China, how cool would that be?  We can now have a 6 hour meeting if necessary so people can pop in and out as they please that might work, but that would really mean 1 a week rather than the usual two, otherwise we might be accused of hogging the system.

                                  Just my thoughts.

                                  Paul Knight

                                  --

                                  Markus Sandy

                                  http://apperception s.org
                                  http://spinflow. org

                                  --

                                  Markus Sandy

                                  http://apperceptions.org
                                  http://spinflow.org

                                  --

                                  Markus Sandy

                                  http://apperceptions.org
                                  http://spinflow.org

                                  Do yourself a favour and Visit my Vlog

                                  http://pjkproductions.blogspot.com

                                  http://pjkweddingvideo.blogspot.com

                                  It's worth a laugh and (mostly) work friendly.

                                • Markus Sandy