Where I've been

  • Stephanie Bryant
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2006
      So, I went all silent after Vloggercon. That's because the day after I
      got back, I came down sick with a chest cold that turned bronchitis.
      And now, 3 weeks later, I'm stick congested. I HATE being sick!

      So, let that be a warning to us all-- we should all videoblog safely
      from our homes, isolated from one another's germs and weird diseases.

      Meanwhile, I had a couple of public speaking things on Wednesday which
      I'll be vlogging. One was my Toastmasters speech which required "vocal
      variety." Have you ever tried to vary your voice when your nose is all
      stuffed up? Yeah-- that was "fun," but at least it made an interesting
      video for you all to see.

      Best wishes,
      Stephanie

      --
      Stephanie Bryant
      mortaine@...
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2006
        One word:

        "Teamwork"

        If Vloggercon has setup a framework for "Distributed Architecture", then a team-member could have been called in to substitute for you.  Sports teams do this all the time, it's called a "Substitution for in injured/tired player"

        "Win as a Team, Lose as a Team"

        I just watched the Portugal/England game, & Figo (Portugal) pulled himself out of the game late..because he was exhausted.  He realized he became a liability to his team, & called on a teammate to "cover for him".  Teamwork

        This is the BIG THING in my Technology Initiative, I've been in the mode of Cooperation/Collaboration..& these F**G sobs in my Market are in a dirty-tactics Competitive Mode: they are going to my mobile-blogs, STEALING the pics & information, using it on THEIR website (big name sponsors, BTW!!).  (see http://www.jumplive.com/irc/irc.html)  They even started shadowing me on a big-time Auto Racing BBS, fabricated some LIES & sent it to the BBS's moderator, had me KICKED OFF, & they raided that BBS spewing their backwards copycat coverage.

        I get the feeling, something like this is happening among the Vlogging community (not as bad as above).  I simply don't see an *organized* infrastructure to handle the ant-like video-bloggers ("collectively use it as a force, to overcome Mainstream Media").

        Needs/Solutions
        -- Fortune Magazine

        This may force a business/organizational model like what the Sierra Club (Environmental activists), or the NRA (National Rifle Association, a bunch of gun-freaks) does:

        - mailings (bumper stickers, et al), soliciting donations
        - have full-time staff (on salary) to handle PR (public relations)
        - have lawyers on staff to handle legal issues

        They are a powerful force, that is beating back my Market (Offroad Racing)..which is totally DISORGANIZED:

        "It's like trying to herd CATS..they scatter all over the place"

        It's PATHETHIC, how grown men can act like grade-school kids..they are getting beat by a bunch of nerds.

        If they want to screw me over, more power to them.  ("Stupidity is its Own Reward").  I just sell my package to the Sierra Club, & that's the end of their little shenanigans.  Or, call Getty Images & tell their lawyers to "go get'em".  They made a huge mistake with me:

        "Don't bet more than you can afford to lose"
        -- sucker bet

        They thought I was a pion (didn't realize I was a Getty Image photographer).

        My connections could become a really *useful* tool for the Vlogging community (if they decide to become organized).

        mortaine@gmail.com

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1, 2006
          On 7/1/06, B Yen <byen@...> wrote:
          One word:

          "Teamwork"

          If Vloggercon has setup a framework for "Distributed Architecture", then a team-member could have been called in to substitute for you.  Sports teams do this all the time, it's called a "Substitution for in injured/tired player"

          "Win as a Team, Lose as a Team"

          I just watched the Portugal/England game, & Figo (Portugal) pulled himself out of the game late..because he was exhausted.  He realized he became a liability to his team, & called on a teammate to "cover for him".  Teamwork

          Um.....

          I suppose if my vlog were at all important to ANYONE that would make sense. But, dude. It's a weird, personal vlog.

          Really, I was just whining about having been sick for 3 weeks. Not inviting... uh, whatever this response is.

          I get the feeling, something like this is happening among the Vlogging community (not as bad as above).  I simply don't see an *organized* infrastructure to handle the ant-like video-bloggers ("collectively use it as a force, to overcome Mainstream Media").

          I seriously have no idea what you're talking about. Do you mean there's a conspiracy to steal your stuff, or that vloggers are to disorganized to steal your stuff?

          They are a powerful force, that is beating back my Market (Offroad Racing)..which is totally DISORGANIZED:

          "It's like trying to herd CATS..they scatter all over the place"

          It's PATHETHIC, how grown men can act like grade-school kids..they are getting beat by a bunch of nerds.

          If they want to screw me over, more power to them.  ("Stupidity is its Own Reward").  I just sell my package to the Sierra Club, & that's the end of their little shenanigans.  Or, call Getty Images & tell their lawyers to "go get'em".  They made a huge mistake with me:

          I have no clue what you're on about. Um. It sounds like you're sicker than I am. Get well soon.

          They thought I was a pion (didn't realize I was a Getty Image photographer).

          My connections could become a really *useful* tool for the Vlogging community (if they decide to become organized).

          Oooooo.....kaaaaay.

          --
          Stephanie Bryant
          mortaine@...
          Blogs, vlogs, and audioblogs at:
          http://www.mortaine.com/blogs
        • Gena
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 2, 2006
            Buddy, Pal, Friend, Chum - it is okay, really.

            Stephanie was at VloggerCon and gave a great presentation. I have some
            video to prove it. She caught the cooties after the conference.

            As to the other items in your post:

            We have a very loose form of teamwork. If someone needs an answer,
            response or communication generally they get it within a day or so.
            Those that can, do, those that can't do not. I think VloggerCon was a
            great example of teamwork - folks creating promos, donation sharing,
            documentation up the wazhoo, etc.

            Node 101 and other educational outreach is an extention of our form of
            teamwork, IMHO.

            It sounds like you have businesses ripping off you stuff. My
            impression is that you are a professional photographer. You may need
            to deal with the bums on a legal level. You own you stuff and it may
            be time to assert that ownership and seek restitution.

            *Bumper stickers - ok.

            *T-Shirts - You bet.

            *PR flacks - ugh! I am much more in favor of personal recording that
            have someone create an impression of how I want to present myself to
            the public.

            (Yes, there are good instances of PR, I know but every time I see a
            video PR message faking as a news story I just wanna puke.)

            *Lawyers - due to recent activities where they have been helpful to a
            specific member of our group I temporarily refrain from my typical
            response. But it would have started out as "We don't need no..."

            > My connections could become a really *useful* tool for the Vlogging
            > community (if they decide to become organized).

            BYen - respectfully I don't know about your connections.

            Creating a non-profit organization? Dude, that takes major American
            cash - the Sierra Club and NRA have years of infrastructure and
            thousands of members. And millions of dollars.

            Honestly, I don't think we are at that point. And as much as I love
            vlogging I (and most other folks) don't have the time to help or
            invest in creating a non-profit entity at the level of the examples
            you presented.

            It is happening on a small level. It needs time to grow. If you want
            it to happen faster give cash to Node 101 or OurMedia.org

            Peace,

            Gena
            http://outonthestoop.blogspot.com
            http://voxmedia.org/wiki/Vide