Feedburner and Blip (problems)

  • Erin Nealey
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1, 2006
      I've been having a problem with my feed lately, and just discovered
      that it's only my videos that I've hosted on blip that are not getting
      picked up. I contacted Feedburner, and they said they are working on
      figuring out why, but I thought I'd shoot this out to the list to see
      if anyone has had this problem or might know how this happened. Mike,
      Charles, Jarrett.. anyone?

      Erin Nealey
      Mom's Brag Vlog
      nealey.blogspot.com
    • Chris Daniel
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1, 2006
        Looks like I'm having the same problem.. My latest video didn't show
        in my feed..

        -Chris

        --
        http://www.ChrisDanielVideos.com
      • David Howell
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 1, 2006
          Ditto.

          I ended up resynching my feed through the Feedburner site. My latest video finally showed
          up in iTunes.

          David
          http://www.davidhowellstudios.com

          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 1, 2006
            When I log into my feedburner account and check "Podmedic" under the
            Troubleshootize tab, I get this message as the reason the media
            enclosure wasn't created:

            Media enclosure not created because: The content type returned from
            your hosting server was incorrect for your SmartCast settings.

            Is this what you are getting Chris? And sorry JARED, I spelled your
            name wrong :)

            Erin Nealey
            Mom's Brag Vlog
            nealey.blogspot.com

            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 1, 2006
              Thanks David, that totally fixed my problem! I'm happy now :)

              Erin Nealey
              Mom's Brag Vlog
              nealey.blogspot.com

              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "David Howell" <taoofdavid@...>
              wrote:

              > Ditto.
              >
              > I ended up resynching my feed through the Feedburner site. My latest
              video finally showed
              > up in iTunes.
              >
              > David
              > http://www.davidhowellstudios.com
              >
              > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Daniel" <chcdaniel@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Looks like I'm having the same problem.. My latest video didn't show
              > > in my feed..
              > >
              > > -Chris
              > >
              > > On 7/1/06, Erin Nealey <schmee@> wrote:
              > > >

              > > > I've been having a problem with my feed lately, and just discovered
              > > > that it's only my videos that I've hosted on blip that are not
              getting
              > > > picked up. I contacted Feedburner, and they said they are working on
              > > > figuring out why, but I thought I'd shoot this out to the list
              to see
              > > > if anyone has had this problem or might know how this happened.
              Mike,
              > > > Charles, Jarrett.. anyone?
              > > >
              > > > Erin Nealey
              > > > Mom's Brag Vlog
              > > > nealey.blogspot.com
              > > >

              > > --
              > > http://www.ChrisDanielVideos.com

            • jchavezb
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 1, 2006
                Hi Erin,

                It seems Blip.tv is now returning the correct response which is a
                redirect to the media file with the correct content-type. For a while
                there, it was returning a content type of html to the file request
                from our user agent.

                Let us know if you see any further issues and we'd be glad to follow up.

                Thanks,
                Jessie Chavez
                Feedburner Engineering Team

                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 1, 2006
                  Resynched and working :)

                  wrote:

                  > Ditto.
                  >
                  > I ended up resynching my feed through the Feedburner site. My latest
                  video finally showed
                  > up in iTunes.
                  >
                  > David
                  > http://www.davidhowellstudios.com
                  >
                  > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Daniel" <chcdaniel@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Looks like I'm having the same problem.. My latest video didn't show
                  > > in my feed..
                  > >
                  > > -Chris
                  > >
                  > > On 7/1/06, Erin Nealey <schmee@> wrote:
                  > > >

                  > > > I've been having a problem with my feed lately, and just discovered
                  > > > that it's only my videos that I've hosted on blip that are not
                  getting
                  > > > picked up. I contacted Feedburner, and they said they are working on
                  > > > figuring out why, but I thought I'd shoot this out to the list
                  to see
                  > > > if anyone has had this problem or might know how this happened.
                  Mike,
                  > > > Charles, Jarrett.. anyone?
                  > > >
                  > > > Erin Nealey
                  > > > Mom's Brag Vlog
                  > > > nealey.blogspot.com
                  > > >

                  > > --
                  > > http://www.ChrisDanielVideos.com

                  --
                  http://www.ChrisDanielVideos.com
                • David Meade
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 1, 2006
                    On 7/1/06, jchavezb <jessiec@...> wrote:
                    Hi Erin,

                    It seems Blip.tv is now returning the correct response which is a
                    redirect to the media file with the correct content-type.  For a while
                    there, it was returning a content type of html to the file request
                    from our user agent.

                    Let us know if you see any further issues and we'd be glad to follow up.

                    Thanks,
                    Jessie Chavez
                    Feedburner Engineering Team

                    Jessie, I'm a bit confused by this.  As it turns out, I have a few tickets open witht he IE7 beta 3 team in regards to a few bugs I found, and one of them relates to (I believe) how it handles the content-type returned from redirects, so I'm very interested in this.  If you'll forgive my ignorance, I'd love to ask you a few questions ...

                    I just did some header checks and:

                    1) It appears the blip redirect is (still) returning "text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"
                    2) 302 redirects are supposed to return the content type they point to!?
                    3) If so, should they return the content type they point to, or to the resource at the end of the redirect chain?
                    4) I have feedburners download tracking turned on and this redirect - although it does return video/quicktime .. does not point to my movie but to ANOTHER feedburner redirect ... which returns "text/plain".  Shouldn't this final feedburner redirect then also return "video/quicktime"?
                    5) If the 302 content-type should return the content type it points to ... what if it points to another redirect, which points to a video?  This seems to be the case for a feedburner download tracking url.  Oddly the content types returned by feed burner seem backwards (video->text)

                    It seems I'm in the following situation.  My enclosures go through several redirects in this order:

                    feedburner1 -->  feedburner2 --> blip1 --> MovieFile

                    And the above path returnes the following content-types:

                    video/quicktime  --> text/plain  -->  text/html; charset=iso-8859-1 --> video/quicktime

                    It seems to me, that if there is a rule about the content-type given by a redirect, both blip and feedburner are still breaking the rule.

                    Doesnt it make more sense to discount the content type given in a "300" redirect and use the content type from fir first resulting "200" successful http request?

                    - Dave

                    --
                    http://www.DavidMeade.com
                    feed:  http://www.DavidMeade.com/feed
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 1, 2006
                      Hey guys,

                      Just to clear this up: 30x redirects are *not* supposed to return the content type they're pointing to.  They're supposed to return either text/html or text/plain.  The rationale is that if the Web browser doesn't support redirects the user will see some HTML or plain text telling them that they're supposed to go somewhere else.

                      There's a bit of interesting (if technical) example on Wikipedia:

                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/URL_redirection#HTTP_status_codes_3xx

                      The problem with FeedBurner is related to a hack we put in place months ago because FeedBurner was having trouble following redirects in the first place (they were saying they "timed out" for services from blip to flickr).  So we stopped redirecting them as such as and started sending them straight to the media file, on the theory that they were only doing a HEAD request (and not getting the whole file).

                      Since then, things have changed on both the FeedBurner and blip sides (at least that's the way it looks) and for some reason that hack stopped working.  So yesterday we started treating FeedBurner like everyone else again, and that seems to be working.  We'll keep an eye out for timeouts again and we'll have to reevaluate if we start seeing them.

                      So, long story short: Should be working again.  If your media isn't showing up in your FeedBurner feed ask FeedBurner to refresh the feed.  If you're still having trouble drop an e-mail to blip support and we'll track it down and get in touch with FeedBurner if we have to.

                      Yours,

                      Mike

                      On 7/1/06, David Meade <meade.dave@...> wrote:

[...]

                    • Andreas Haugstrup
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 1, 2006
                        On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 17:36:20 +0200, David Meade <meade.dave@...>
                        wrote:

                        > 1) It appears the blip redirect is (still) returning "text/html;
                        > charset=iso-8859-1"

                        Shouldn't be a problem (it's a Feedburner problem if this is the cause).

                        > 2) 302 redirects are supposed to return the content type they point to!?

                        No. On GET requests servers are supposed to include a short hypertext link
                        to the redirect location on a 302. Makes sense since you can run into user
                        agents that don't understand the 302. Returning text/html along with a 302
                        is perfectly normal no matter what lies behind the redirect.

                        --
                        Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen
                          Hi David,

                          The issue earlier this week was that Blip.tv was returning a 200
                          text/html (not a 302) when our user agent (using the header Feedburner
                          1.0/http://www.feedburner.com) made a request for a media file hosted
                          there.

                          It's now working correctly in which they return 302's (content type
                          doesn't matter here but it's text/html) and eventually get to a 200
                          with the correct media mime type. This is the 'standard' way it
                          usually works and we handle correctly, as most web clients.

                          The issue was simply the incorrect response to a non-browser user
                          agent at blip which now seems to be corrected. It was working fine in
                          a browser window (which uses a browser user agent) which is why it was
                          hard to find the issue.

                          Hope this helps.

                          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "David Meade" <meade.dave@...>

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 1, 2006
                            Yup, that's pretty much it.

                            -mike (blip.tv)

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 1, 2006
                              On 7/1/06, Andreas Haugstrup <solitude@...> wrote:
                              No. On GET requests servers are supposed to include a short hypertext link
                              to the redirect location on a 302. Makes sense since you can run into user
                              agents that don't understand the 302. Returning text/html along with a 302
                              is perfectly normal no matter what lies behind the redirect.

                              Ok good, thats what I thought.

                              So Jessie, should I be concerned that one of my feedburner redirects is returning a video content-type when it fact its just point to yet another 302?

                              This may verywell be whats causing one of the IE7beta3 error I'm seeing.  IE7beta3 has an auto-download enclosures feature for feeds, but on some feeds the QuickTime files download are getting corrupted "not a movie file" even though they are perfectly fine QT files.  If IE7 is getting a video content type on a redirect it might account for how it's managing to download something other than the valid movie file.

                              I realize this is an IE bug not a feedburner one ... but maybe it would be best to return a text based content type on the redirects you offer?

                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 1, 2006
                                Interesting issue. I'll check with the team to see if anyone has
                                already run into this or is working on investigating this.

                                If it's not too much trouble, it would be a great help if you could
                                post a specific example of this to our forums or email at
                                feedback@... That way, we have a concrete example to start
                                investigating right away.