Re: [videoblogging] Re: Fwd: settings in snap x

  • Richard (Show) Hall
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 1, 2006
      Yes ... that was definately a joke ... a very ironic joke ... Michael
      and Ryanne help everybody all the time for free as a way of life!

      ... Richard

      On 5/31/06, Chuck Olsen <reallystinkyguy@...> wrote:

      > (in the voice of Foghorn Leghorn)
      >
      > That's... I say that's a joke, son!
      >
      > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Richard (Show) Hall"
      > > <richard@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Okay. Here are my super-incredible SnapzPro settings. This is special
      > > > information just for you because I'm a fan. Other, regular and
      > > > ordinary, folks will have to pay to see these super secrets.
      > >
      > > Ouch, pay for help if you're not my fan?
      > >
      > > If someone has *free* information they would like to share, please
      > > post the settings or email me... vlogmap[at]gmail[dot]com
      > >
      > > Thanks.

      Richard
      http://www.richardshow.com

      Save the Internet - Preserve Network Neutrality!
      http://www.savetheinternet.com
    • Richard (Show) Hall
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 1, 2006
        Also, it appears the attachments didn't come through, so if anyone
        wants me to send the info to them directly, let me know ... I got a
        couple of requests already, which I'm about to respond to ... Richard

        --
        Richard
        http://www.richardshow.com

        Save the Internet - Preserve Network Neutrality!
        http://www.savetheinternet.com
      • LeanBackVids.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 1, 2006
          It can be hard to decipher jokes from text... I'm a business-minded
          (evil?) person and I read the sentence literally.

          The forwarded email is only slightly ironic. Freevlog may be giving
          away free information, but the site is successful due to its
          high-quality screencasts. Notice there is no tutorial on
          screencasting. The ability to create a crisp looking screencast
          represents the main barrier to entry. Giving away the "secrets" of
          screencasting runs the risk of someone else starting their own
          tutorial site.

          I'm planning to build out screencast tutorials for how to use VlogMap,
          but if that got expanded into basic vlogging tutorials it would be
          "competing" directly w/ Freevlog.

          That probably would not be seen as a communal move by Freevlog, even
          though others may come to the site and see it as spreading
          free/helpful info.

          For the record I have no plans of doing so, but I can see why some
          sites like to keep some secrets.

          Anyways, I apologize for my half of the miscommunication and thank you
          very much for emailing me the screenshot of settings.

          --
          Matt
          http://www.vlogmap.org

          <richard@...> wrote:

          > Yes ... that was definately a joke ... a very ironic joke ... Michael
          > and Ryanne help everybody all the time for free as a way of life!

        • Michael Verdi
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 1, 2006
            On 6/1/06, LeanBackVids.com <leanbackvids@...> wrote:
            Notice there is no tutorial on
            screencasting.  The ability to create a crisp looking screencast
            represents the main barrier to entry.  Giving away the "secrets" of
            screencasting runs the risk of someone else starting their own
            tutorial site.

            Wow. I really don't like the implication there. There is no ulterior motive behind not having a screencasting tutorial on Freevlog. In fact we've talked about doing it but haven't because:
            1. We have a giant list of tutorials more specific to videoblogging that we'd like to do.
            2. Nobody has asked us to do one.
            3. It's hard to screencast the screencast app!

            We constantly point people to SnapzPro and Camstudio when they ask. Also when people ask, like Richard or you, you'll notice that I spent a good 30 minutes putting together some info and screenshots. I didn't have to do that but I do it because it's FUN. Yes, I enjoy teaching. Hopefully people have noticed that pattern with me - Freevlog, NODE101, Secrets Of Videoblogging, and all the email, IM's and phone calls that I answer helping people with videoblogging stuff. Some people like to garden or cook or fix cars. I like to help people learn how to express themselves.

            I'm planning to build out screencast tutorials for how to use VlogMap,
            but if that got expanded into basic vlogging tutorials it would be
            "competing" directly w/ Freevlog.

            As David Letterman would say, "Remember folks, this is an exhibition, not a competition. No wagering please."

            That probably would not be seen as a communal move by Freevlog, even
            though others may come to the site and see it as spreading
            free/helpful info.

            I would see it as spreading free/helpful info.

            For the record I have no plans of doing so, but I can see why some
            sites like to keep some secrets.

            There's no secret sauce behind Freevlog, just hard work. The very first screencast I ever made is still Step 1 on the tutorial - http://freevlog.org/tutorial/#step1
            They say that good ideas are easy to come by but it's the implementation that counts. Other people tried to make a vlog map before you but your implementation of Google Maps kicks ass. So now everyone uses your vlog map. Likewise anyone can go out and make their own version of Freevlog. This guy did - http://vblogsecrets.com/ - and he sells it for 250 bucks a pop! He even came in and visited me one day at NODE101!

            The point is, I hope the reason Freevlog tutorials are helpful is not because the video is crisp but because of all the hard work that Ryanne and I put into making them concise and complete. My biggest problem with many tutorials is when they gloss over some piece of information that is vital. That's our "secret", we try not to gloss over anything. If you need to click OK to get to the next step, we tell you to click OK.

            Oh, and let me be clear about another thing. The only reason I make any video for Freevlog or my own site is simply because that's what I love to do.

            Here's another "secret" for everyone here - there is hardly any information in "Secrets of Videoblogging" that can't be found either on Freevlog or this email list or can't be had by asking either of us. If you're reading this email, you don't "need" to buy our book. Though you may find it useful as a reference - hopefully when you're teaching others how to videoblog. It also makes a great gift for the non-vloggers in your life! </advertisment>

            Peace,
            Verdi

            --
            Author of the book Secrets Of Videoblogging
            Me --> http://michaelverdi.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 1, 2006
              Well said Michael. I wouldn't be vlogging if not for freevlog, and
              your direct email responses to various questions I had in the beginning.

              Thanks.

              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 1, 2006
                --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Verdi" <michael@...> wrote:

                > Wow. I really don't like the implication there.

                Let me be clear.... My only intent was to defend why I did not read
                the original email as a joke. I'm sorry if my first opinion of what
                your wrote offended you, but it is reasonably possible that the
                statement could be read as no joke. Intent is not always crystal
                clear when others read what someone else writes.

                I asked for advice and a joke was misread/miscommunicated. By no
                means am I trying to paint you in a negative light.

                To be honest, I don't concern myself with what your motive is for
                creating Freevlog. I was only trying to explain why I thought you
                were serious. It comes down to the statement I made that "some sites
                like to keep some secrets".

                The simple fact is that Freevlog has been an invaluable tool for
                vloggers. I would love to integrate/promote it more in the VlogMap
                handbook. Matter of fact, I emailed you last night about this.

                Hopefully there are no hard feelings here and we can collaborate in
                the future.

                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 1, 2006
                  For the record, the miscommunication part was my fault ... I should
                  have read what Michael sent, and deleted any stuff he intended just a
                  personal stuff for me, and sent the rest ... it's easy to see why that
                  could have got confusing to Matt not knowing who wrote what and who
                  was referring to who ...

                  ... everybody knows that FreeVlog kicks ass, as does VlogMap ... great
                  assets to our community

                  ... group hug!

                  ... Richard

                  On 6/1/06, LeanBackVids.com <leanbackvids@...> wrote:
                  > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Verdi" <michael@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Wow. I really don't like the implication there.
                  >
                  > Let me be clear.... My only intent was to defend why I did not read
                  > the original email as a joke. I'm sorry if my first opinion of what
                  > your wrote offended you, but it is reasonably possible that the
                  > statement could be read as no joke. Intent is not always crystal
                  > clear when others read what someone else writes.
                  >
                  > I asked for advice and a joke was misread/miscommunicated. By no
                  > means am I trying to paint you in a negative light.
                  >
                  > To be honest, I don't concern myself with what your motive is for
                  > creating Freevlog. I was only trying to explain why I thought you
                  > were serious. It comes down to the statement I made that "some sites
                  > like to keep some secrets".
                  >
                  > The simple fact is that Freevlog has been an invaluable tool for
                  > vloggers. I would love to integrate/promote it more in the VlogMap
                  > handbook. Matter of fact, I emailed you last night about this.
                  >
                  > Hopefully there are no hard feelings here and we can collaborate in
                  > the future.
                  >
                  > --
                  > Matt
                  > http://www.vlogmap.org
                  > http://feeds.feedburner.com/vlogmap

                  Richard
                  http://www.richardshow.com

                  Save the Internet - Preserve Network Neutrality!
                  http://www.savetheinternet.com
                • ryanne hodson
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 1, 2006
                    just a side note

                    how would one do a screencasting tutorial?
                    when getting info for people about snapz pro i often have to take screen shots *of* snapz pro itself, which is do-able because macs have hot keys in the system to do that.

                    but i dont know how you would make a screencast vid of a screencast app
                    unless you pointed your camera at your screen.
                    which would look crappy probably
                    but it would work i suppose

                    oh yeah, and i dont look at anyone making tutorials as competition.
                    (((for real people, please make more tutorials!
                    i'll link to you and be forever grateful!
                    we have a huge list of them that we want to make and don't always have the time.)))
                    even the other vlogging books that are coming out, i don't see as a bad thing!
                    people are always like "oh you have competitors!" but i'm always like "hey, if people learn videoblogging from me or anyone else, it's the learning videoblogging part that i care about."
                    the more teachers, the merrier.

                    -ry

                    http://us.click.yahoo.com/97bhrC/LGxNAA/yQLSAA/lBLqlB/TM

                         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/