Re: [videoblogging] Yahoo video uploads

  • Michael Sullivan
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2006
      the inevitable continues.

      On 6/1/06, Peter Van Dijck <petervandijck@...> wrote:
      And now there is, Yahoo video uploads.
      http://video.yahoo.com/

      It's a search engine, it's an aggregator, it's an upload site.

      "- Featured, Popular, Category and Tag sections enable users to easily
      browse for videos.
      - Users can subscribe to and watch channels, groups of videos related
      by source or topic, to stay current on content from their favorite
      publishers.
      - Users can access the largest database of videos on the Web through
      Yahoo! Search"

      What do we think? :)
      Peter
      --
      http://mefeedia.com

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/.7bhrC/MGxNAA/yQLSAA/lBLqlB/TM

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      --
      Sull
      http://vlogdir.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2006
        I haven't totally explored it, but I think its pretty good.
        I like that its got search, aggregation, and uploads together.
        Its got some overlap with the Yahoo Podcast Directory except that it isn't geared mostly to discovering feeds. It does have a concept of "channels" though. I do not think they've done enough to promote the upload service and that may be confusing to people seeking a competitor to YouTube, but if its built into other Yahoo services, that might not matter...

        -Josh

        On 6/1/06, Michael Sullivan <sulleleven@...> wrote:
        the inevitable continues.

        On 6/1/06, Peter Van Dijck < petervandijck@...> wrote:
        And now there is, Yahoo video uploads.
        http://video.yahoo.com/

        It's a search engine, it's an aggregator, it's an upload site.

        "- Featured, Popular, Category and Tag sections enable users to easily
        browse for videos.
        - Users can subscribe to and watch channels, groups of videos related
        by source or topic, to stay current on content from their favorite
        publishers.
        - Users can access the largest database of videos on the Web through
        Yahoo! Search"

        What do we think? :)
        Peter
        --
        http://mefeedia.com

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/.7bhrC/MGxNAA/yQLSAA/lBLqlB/TM

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Fireant Individual Typepad
        Use Explains

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

           Visit your group "videoblogging" on the web.

        • Heath
          Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2006
            I like it to at first glance, and I like the fact if you type
            in "Batman" into the search function, my feed is the number 1
            channel.... :) And when I click on it even though it doesn't show
            all my video it has a link to my site a little blurp and have the
            ability to subscribe through yahoo and rate it and comment on the
            feed.....all in all not bad.......

            Heath - Batman Geek
            http://batmangeek7.blogspot.com

            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Joshua Kinberg" <jkinberg@...>
            wrote:

            > I haven't totally explored it, but I think its pretty good.
            > I like that its got search, aggregation, and uploads together.
            > Its got some overlap with the Yahoo Podcast Directory except that
            it isn't
            > geared mostly to discovering feeds. It does have a concept
            of "channels"
            > though. I do not think they've done enough to promote the upload
            service and
            > that may be confusing to people seeking a competitor to YouTube,
            but if its
            > built into other Yahoo services, that might not matter...
            >
            > -Josh
            >

            > On 6/1/06, Michael Sullivan <sulleleven@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > the inevitable continues.
            > >
            > > On 6/1/06, Peter Van Dijck <petervandijck@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > > And now there is, Yahoo video uploads.
            > > > http://video.yahoo.com/
            > > >
            > > > It's a search engine, it's an aggregator, it's an upload site.
            > > >
            > > > "- Featured, Popular, Category and Tag sections enable users to
            easily
            > > > browse for videos.
            > > > - Users can subscribe to and watch channels, groups of videos
            related
            > > > by source or topic, to stay current on content from their
            favorite
            > > > publishers.
            > > > - Users can access the largest database of videos on the Web
            through
            > > > Yahoo! Search"
            > > >
            > > > What do we think? :)
            > > > Peter
            > > > --
            > > > http://mefeedia.com

            > > Sull
            > > http://vlogdir.com
            > > http://SpreadTheMedia.org

            t=ms&k=Fireant&w1=Fireant&w2=Individual&w3=Typepad&w4=Use&w5=Explains&
            c=5&s=65&.sig=WCpOSpSwoYO432IaYB1XiQ>
            > > Individual<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
            t=ms&k=Individual&w1=Fireant&w2=Individual&w3=Typepad&w4=Use&w5=Explai
            ns&c=5&s=65&.sig=hFHM3V_4GtbmWeTN5iA9ig>
            > > Typepad<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
            t=ms&k=Typepad&w1=Fireant&w2=Individual&w3=Typepad&w4=Use&w5=Explains&
            c=5&s=65&.sig=_ro7JDo9ahztIvpG_ELM7A>
            > > Use<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
            t=ms&k=Use&w1=Fireant&w2=Individual&w3=Typepad&w4=Use&w5=Explains&c=5&
            s=65&.sig=Bv8zKzTXVJwkBZ1KcmF_KQ>
            > > Explains<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
            t=ms&k=Explains&w1=Fireant&w2=Individual&w3=Typepad&w4=Use&w5=Explains
            &c=5&s=65&.sig=pWcuDK4cvHNOMSasJvZAzA>

            Service<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
            > > .
            > >
            > > ------------------------------

          • Casey McKinnon
            Message 4 of 10 , Jun 1, 2006
              Hehehe... congrats Heath!

              C.

              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Heath" <heathparks@...> wrote:

              > I like it to at first glance, and I like the fact if you type
              > in "Batman" into the search function, my feed is the number 1
              > channel.... :) And when I click on it even though it doesn't show
              > all my video it has a link to my site a little blurp and have the
              > ability to subscribe through yahoo and rate it and comment on the
              > feed.....all in all not bad.......
              >
              > Heath - Batman Geek
              > http://batmangeek7.blogspot.com
              >
              > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Joshua Kinberg" <jkinberg@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > I haven't totally explored it, but I think its pretty good.
              > > I like that its got search, aggregation, and uploads together.
              > > Its got some overlap with the Yahoo Podcast Directory except that
              > it isn't
              > > geared mostly to discovering feeds. It does have a concept
              > of "channels"
              > > though. I do not think they've done enough to promote the upload
              > service and
              > > that may be confusing to people seeking a competitor to YouTube,
              > but if its
              > > built into other Yahoo services, that might not matter...
              > >
              > > -Josh
              > >

              > > On 6/1/06, Michael Sullivan <sulleleven@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > the inevitable continues.

              > easily
              > related
              > favorite
              > through

              > > > Sull
              > > > http://vlogdir.com
              > > > http://SpreadTheMedia.org

              > t=ms&k=Fireant&w1=Fireant&w2=Individual&w3=Typepad&w4=Use&w5=Explains&
              > c=5&s=65&.sig=WCpOSpSwoYO432IaYB1XiQ>
              > > > Individual<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
              > t=ms&k=Individual&w1=Fireant&w2=Individual&w3=Typepad&w4=Use&w5=Explai
              > ns&c=5&s=65&.sig=hFHM3V_4GtbmWeTN5iA9ig>
              > > > Typepad<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
              > t=ms&k=Typepad&w1=Fireant&w2=Individual&w3=Typepad&w4=Use&w5=Explains&
              > c=5&s=65&.sig=_ro7JDo9ahztIvpG_ELM7A>
              > > > Use<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
              > t=ms&k=Use&w1=Fireant&w2=Individual&w3=Typepad&w4=Use&w5=Explains&c=5&
              > s=65&.sig=Bv8zKzTXVJwkBZ1KcmF_KQ>
              > > > Explains<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
              > t=ms&k=Explains&w1=Fireant&w2=Individual&w3=Typepad&w4=Use&w5=Explains
              > &c=5&s=65&.sig=pWcuDK4cvHNOMSasJvZAzA>
              > > > on the web.

              > Service<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
              > > > .
              > > >
              > > > ------------------------------

            • WWWhatsup
              Message 5 of 10 , Jun 1, 2006

                They've made some improvements on the YouTube licence,
                while thoroughly covering their asses.

                For instance, you can withdraw your vid at any time, terminating
                all rights to Yahoo and it's users.

                Note the remix stipulations in paras 4 b) and 4 c)

                joly

                Yahoo! Video Service Additional Terms of Service ("Additional
                Terms")

                1. ACCEPTANCE OF YAHOO! TERMS

                Welcome to the Yahoo! Video Service ("Yahoo! Video Service").
                Your use of the Yahoo! Video Service is subject to these
                Additional Terms and supplement the Yahoo! Terms of Service
                ("TOS") located at http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ incorporated
                by reference. Yahoo reserves the right to update and change, from
                time to time, these Additional Terms and all documents
                incorporated by reference. You can always find the most recent
                version of these Additional Terms at
                http://video.yahoo.com/html/tos.html and the most recent version
                of the TOS at the URL indicated above.

                2. DESCRIPTION OF SERVICE

                The Yahoo! Video Service provides functionality that allows Yahoo!
                users who have a valid Yahoo! ID ("You") to upload video content
                ("Video Content") to be hosted by Yahoo! and to be indexed and
                crawled by Yahoo!'s Video Search technology for public display on
                Yahoo!'s network of properties, including without limitation,
                Yahoo! Video Search, and on Yahoo!'s syndicated third party sites,
                and for the public posting, viewing and sharing of the Video
                Content with others. You expressly acknowledge and agree that the
                Yahoo Video Service is a public service, that once You submit Your
                Video Content for inclusion into the Yahoo! Video Service, it will
                be accessible by others, and that there is no confidentiality or
                privacy with respect to Your Video Content. There is no cost to
                you to submit Your Video Content.

                3. PROHIBITED CONTENT AND CONDUCT

                By submitting Your Video Content, You agree:

                a. that You own or have the necessary licenses, rights, consents
                and permissions to all patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright
                or other proprietary rights ("Rights") to the Video Content, and
                any audio, music, or other works of art that You incorporate into
                Your Video Content, and to authorize Yahoo! to use and include the
                Video Content in the Yahoo! Video Service in the manner
                contemplated in these Additional Terms.

                b. that You have the written consent, release, and/or permission
                of each and every identifiable individual person in Your Video
                Content to use such person's name or likeness for use and
                inclusion in the Yahoo! Video Service in the manner contemplated
                in these Additional Terms.

                c. not to include any Video Content that is unlawful, harmful,
                threatening, abusive, harassing, tortious, defamatory, vulgar,
                pornographic, offensive, indecent, libelous, invasive of another's
                privacy, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise
                objectionable.

                4. SUBMISSION OF VIDEO CONTENT TO YAHOO!

                You retain ownership to the Video Content You submit for inclusion
                into the Yahoo! Video Service. However, by submitting Your Video
                Content to Yahoo!, You hereby grant Yahoo! the following
                worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive, sublicensable and
                transferable rights and licenses:

                a. to host, cache, store, archive, index, crawl, create
                algorithms based thereon, modify or transcode the Video Content to
                appropriate media formats, standards or mediums as part of the
                Yahoo! Video Service;

                b. to use, distribute, reproduce, modify, remix, excerpt, adapt,
                prepare derivative works of, publicly perform and publicly display
                the Video Content on the Yahoo! Video Service or on any Yahoo!
                property, including in connection with any distribution or
                syndication arrangement thereof with third parties or third party
                sites, in any media format or medium and through any media
                channels; and

                c. to use Your Video Content for advertising, promotional or
                commercial purposes, including without limitation, the right to
                publicly display, perform, reproduce and distribute Your Video
                Content in any media format or medium and through any media
                channels.

                By submitting Your Video Content for inclusion into the Yahoo!
                Video Service, you also grant the following use of and rights to
                Your Video Content to others: (i) the non-exclusive license to
                access Your Video Content through the Yahoo! Video Service; (ii)
                the ability for Yahoo! registered users ("Yahoo! Users") to rate,
                review, comment on and tag Your Video Content; (iii) the ability
                to embed Yahoo!'s video player with Your Video Content on their
                web site; (iv) the ability for Yahoo! Users to send and distribute
                Your Video Content via E-mail or Instant Messenger; (v) the
                ability to access Your Video Content via Yahoo!'s web service APIs
                or via RSS or any similar XML or related feeds; and (vi) the non-
                exclusive license to use, reproduce, distribute, remix, prepare
                derivative works of and compilations, display and perform Your
                Video Content as permitted through the functionality of the Yahoo!
                Video Service and under these Additional Terms and the TOS.

                The foregoing licenses granted by You shall terminate once You
                remove or delete Your Video Content from the Yahoo! Video Service.

                5. ADVERTISING RIGHTS

                Yahoo! reserves and has the right to sell, license and/or display
                any advertising, promotional and distribution rights in connection
                with Your Video Content and Yahoo! will be entitled to retain any
                and all revenue generated from any sales or licenses of such
                advertising, promotional or distribution rights. Nothing in these
                Additional Terms obligates or may be deemed to obligate Yahoo! to
                sell, license or offer to sell or license any advertising,
                promotion or distribution rights.

                6. INDEMNITY

                You agree to indemnify and hold harmless Yahoo, and its
                subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, agents, or other partners, and
                employees, from any claim or demand, including reasonable
                attorneys' fees, made by any third party due to or arising out of
                Your use of and access to the Yahoo! Video Service, Your violation
                of the TOS, these Additional Terms, Your violation of any rights
                of another person or entity, or Your violation of any applicable
                laws or regulations.

                7. YAHOO!'S RESERVATION OF RIGHTS

                In addition to all other legal remedies available to Yahoo!, You
                acknowledge that Yahoo! has the right to remove Your Video Content
                from the Yahoo! Video Service or refuse to include Your Video
                Content in the Yahoo! Video Service, suspend or terminate Your
                Yahoo! account or refuse to grant You access to any current or
                future use of the Yahoo! Video Service or any Yahoo! service with
                or without warning if Yahoo!, in its sole discretion, believes You
                have: (i) violated or tried to violate the rights of Yahoo! or
                others; or (ii) violated or tried to violate or acted
                inconsistently pursuant to these Additional Terms or any other
                terms of the TOS.

                8. INVALIDITY OF SPECIFIC TERMS

                If any provision of these Additional Terms or any document
                incorporated by reference is found by a court of competent
                jurisdiction to be invalid, the parties nevertheless agree that
                the court should endeavor to give effect to the parties'
                intentions as reflected in the provision, and the other provisions
                of such documents remain in full force and effect

                9. LOCATION OF LAWSUIT

                The TOS, which apply to Your use of the Yahoo! Video Service,
                provide that both You and Yahoo! agree to submit to the personal
                and exclusive jurisdiction of the courts located within the county
                of Santa Clara, California, USA.

                WWWhatsup NYC
              • Bill Streeter
                Message 6 of 10 , Jun 1, 2006
                  YouTube has had this clause for some time too. In fact the YouTube
                  user agreement isn't all that bad now.

                  Bill Streeter
                  LO-FI SAINT LOUIS
                  www.lofistl.com

                  --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, WWWhatsup <joly@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > have: (i) violated or tried to violate the rights of Yahoo! or
                  > others; or (ii) violated or tried to violate or acted
                  > inconsistently pursuant to these Additional Terms or any other
                  > terms of the TOS.
                  >
                  > 8. INVALIDITY OF SPECIFIC TERMS
                  >
                  > If any provision of these Additional Terms or any document
                  > incorporated by reference is found by a court of competent
                  > jurisdiction to be invalid, the parties nevertheless agree that
                  > the court should endeavor to give effect to the parties'
                  > intentions as reflected in the provision, and the other provisions
                  > of such documents remain in full force and effect
                  >
                  > 9. LOCATION OF LAWSUIT
                  >
                  > The TOS, which apply to Your use of the Yahoo! Video Service,
                  > provide that both You and Yahoo! agree to submit to the personal
                  > and exclusive jurisdiction of the courts located within the county

                • Steve Garfield
                  Message 7 of 10 , Jun 1, 2006
                    That's interesting.

                    So you could imply that the only place they are actually going to
                    display your videos is on Yahoo!, since if they put your videos on
                    DVD's they'd have a hard time removing them once you delete your video
                    from Yahoo!

                    On Jun 1, 2006, at 12:47 PM, Bill Streeter wrote:

                    >> The foregoing licenses granted by You shall terminate once You
                    >> remove or delete Your Video Content from the Yahoo! Video Service.

                    --Steve
                    --
                    http://SteveGarfield.com - Fighting the good fight
                    http://Rocketboom.com - Correspondent