overview of Pew report on broadband access and online publishing

  • Andy Carvin
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2006
      Hi everyone,

      I've just posted an overview of the latest report from the Pew
      Internet & American Life Project, which focuses on home broadband
      access in the US and who's posting content to the Internet. Broadband
      access is up across the board, with middle income family access
      growing at the fastest rate. English-speaking Latinos are now almost
      as likely (41%) to have broadband at home as white families (42%),
      while African American families lag a bit behind (31%). Income and
      education levels continue to remain major barriers, though growth was
      seen at all levels. DSL access has become more affordable, though many
      more households cite speed as their reason for getting broadband (57%)
      compared to the lowering of cost (3%), suggesting that more people are
      willing to pay for it in order to gain the benefits of high-speed access.

      To me, though, the most interesting part of the report focuses on
      online content publishing. Overall, 35% of Internet users - 48 million
      people - have posted content to the Internet. Broadband users are more
      likely to post online content than dialup users - 42% versus 27%. This
      is especially true of bloggers and people who manage their own
      websites. While an average of eight percent of Internet users publish
      their own blog, 11% of broadband users had blogs, compared to only
      four percent of dialup users. And amazingly, lower-income users were a
      bit more likely to post content online than higher-income users, while
      whites _lagged_ behind African Americans and English-speaking Latinos
      - 32%, 39% and 42% respectively.

      You can download the 26-page report here:
      http://www.pewinternet.org/PPF/r/184/report_display.asp

      My overview of it can be found here:
      http://www.andycarvin.com
      http://www.andycarvin.com/archives/2006/06/new_report_says_broa.html

      --
      ------------------------------
      Andy Carvin

      http://www.andycarvin.com
      http://www.digitaldivide.net
      http://www.pbs.org/learningnow
      ------------------------------
    • Richard (Show) Hall
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2006
        Andy,

        This is really interesting.

        Can you imagine a situation where 35% of television viewers or radio
        listeners published content to the television or radio.

        ... definitely a fundamental change in media ... Richard

        On 6/1/06, Andy Carvin <andycarvin@...> wrote:
        > Hi everyone,
        >
        > I've just posted an overview of the latest report from the Pew
        > Internet & American Life Project, which focuses on home broadband
        > access in the US and who's posting content to the Internet. Broadband
        > access is up across the board, with middle income family access
        > growing at the fastest rate. English-speaking Latinos are now almost
        > as likely (41%) to have broadband at home as white families (42%),
        > while African American families lag a bit behind (31%). Income and
        > education levels continue to remain major barriers, though growth was
        > seen at all levels. DSL access has become more affordable, though many
        > more households cite speed as their reason for getting broadband (57%)
        > compared to the lowering of cost (3%), suggesting that more people are
        > willing to pay for it in order to gain the benefits of high-speed access.
        >
        > To me, though, the most interesting part of the report focuses on
        > online content publishing. Overall, 35% of Internet users - 48 million
        > people - have posted content to the Internet. Broadband users are more
        > likely to post online content than dialup users - 42% versus 27%. This
        > is especially true of bloggers and people who manage their own
        > websites. While an average of eight percent of Internet users publish
        > their own blog, 11% of broadband users had blogs, compared to only
        > four percent of dialup users. And amazingly, lower-income users were a
        > bit more likely to post content online than higher-income users, while
        > whites _lagged_ behind African Americans and English-speaking Latinos
        > - 32%, 39% and 42% respectively.
        >
        > You can download the 26-page report here:
        > http://www.pewinternet.org/PPF/r/184/report_display.asp
        >
        > My overview of it can be found here:
        > http://www.andycarvin.com
        > http://www.andycarvin.com/archives/2006/06/new_report_says_broa.html
        >

        > --
        > ------------------------------
        > Andy Carvin
        > acarvin (at) edc . org
        > andycarvin (at) yahoo . com
        >
        > http://www.andycarvin.com
        > http://www.digitaldivide.net
        > http://www.pbs.org/learningnow
        > ------------------------------

        Richard
        http://www.richardshow.com

        Save the Internet - Preserve Network Neutrality!
        http://www.savetheinternet.com
      • WWWhatsup
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1, 2006
          This report affirming much of Eben Moglen's remarks
          about 'prosumerism' at the recent isoc-ny meet, which I've put
          at http://punkcast.com/964/ and that I can't over-recommend.

          Prof. Moglen talks about how wrong many major media efforts to
          co-opt the net into traditional modes of consumerism have been,
          and points out Murdoch's purchase of MySpace as a major capitulation.

          I remember explaining the 'Net to people, in the early days, - 'It's not like
          television, it's more like the telephone, a global conference call."

          Prof. Moglen gets positively gleeful as he notes that Bill Gates, hung up
          on client-server in a P2P world, still doesn't get it.

          joly

          Andy wrote:

          >To me, though, the most interesting part of the report focuses on
          >online content publishing. Overall, 35% of Internet users - 48 million
          >people - have posted content to the Internet.

          WWWhatsup NYC