Re: [videoblogging] Recording audio itnerviews

  • Andreas Haugstrup
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 1, 2006
      On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 15:34:06 +0200, Peter Van Dijck
      <petervandijck@...> wrote:

      > why not buy them in the usa if you'll be in the usa? In advance, have
      > it sent to someone's place ;)

      I have considered it, but I need a Danish reciept for tax purposes this
      time.

      --
      Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen
        The 5G ipods can record high bit rate audio at 44.1Khz but the only
        third party product that I can find that will allow you to do this
        is the Belkin Tune Talk (http://www.belkin.com/pressroom/images/?
        sid=55) and it doesn't seem to be widely available yet. None of the
        old 3rd party recording products will work with this ipod, and Apple
        doesn't make one either.

        Bill Streeter
        LO-FI SAINT LOUIS
        www.lofistl.com

        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Jan McLaughlin
        <jannie.jan@...> wrote:

        > Can't say about the video iPod since I don't have one, but tell me
        what
        > model you have and I can find out through Apple's store if this
        Griffin
        > iMic accessory is compatible with it.
        >
        > Jan
        >
        > --
        > http://fauxpress.blogspot.com - motion
        > http://blog.urbanartadventures.com - sound
        > http://the-hold.blogspot.com - poetry
        > http://dagnyhemingway.blogspot.com - machinima
        > http://vlogpresskit.blogspot.com - media
        > On Jun 1, 2006, at 6:35 AM, Peter Van Dijck wrote:
        >
        > > Jan, I have a video iPod, is there a way to record audio? That'd
        be
        > > useful...
        > >
        > > tnx,
        > > Peter
        > >
        > > On 5/31/06, Jan McLaughlin <jannie.jan@...> wrote:
        > >> First, a question: do you have an iPod?
        > >>
        > >> Next: what's your budget?
        > >>
        > >> Jan
        > >>
        > >> --
        > >> http://fauxpress.blogspot.com - motion
        > >> http://blog.urbanartadventures.com - sound
        > >> http://the-hold.blogspot.com - poetry
        > >> http://dagnyhemingway.blogspot.com - machinima
        > >> http://vlogpresskit.blogspot.com - media

        For

        > >> Yahoo! Groups Links
        > >>

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Peter Van Dijck
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 1, 2006
          Thanks! It says "Compatible with any iPod with dock connector, so I
          guess that includes my video ipod I bought last fall... and at $38 I
          think I'll go for it.."

        • Jan McLaughlin
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 1, 2006
            Without any software or other mods the 20GB (8/2005 purchase) model
            iPod records with the following specs:

            bit rate = 128 KBps
            sample rate = 8000 kHz
            format = wav

            Bill, the notion that there's a way to increase the sample rate is very
            exciting indeed. The 44.1 kHz to which you refer is not "bit rate" but
            "sample rate", e.g. how many times per second the record head passes
            over the recording medium.

            128 KBps is very good for our purposes, but without a better sample
            rate, it might as well be 64 KBps, kinda thin and doesn't hold up
            through editing well.

            Look forward to more information about this.

            Jan

            On Jun 1, 2006, at 7:29 AM, Bill Streeter wrote:

            > The 5G ipods can record high bit rate audio at 44.1Khz but the only
            > third party product that I can find that will allow you to do this
            > is the Belkin Tune Talk (http://www.belkin.com/pressroom/images/?
            > sid=55) and it doesn't seem to be widely available yet. None of the
            > old 3rd party recording products will work with this ipod, and Apple
            > doesn't make one either.
            >
            > Bill Streeter
            > LO-FI SAINT LOUIS
            > www.lofistl.com
          • Jan McLaughlin
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 1, 2006
              One more thing, Peter: the Griffin iTalk also functions as a speaker,
              so you can quietly listen to your music library without wearing
              headphones. Sweet.

              Jan

              On Jun 1, 2006, at 8:18 AM, Peter Van Dijck wrote:

              > Thanks! It says "Compatible with any iPod with dock connector, so I
              > guess that includes my video ipod I bought last fall... and at $38 I
              > think I'll go for it.."
              >
              > On 6/1/06, Jan McLaughlin <jannie.jan@...> wrote:
              >> I've been using Griffin's iTalk mic that sits on top of the iPod to
              >> "great" effect.
              >>
              >> "Great" because iPod's native sample rate is low (8000 khz) and you
              >> need to practice a bit to understand positioning relative to how loud
              >> the speaker talks and background noise, but for ease-of-use, I've been
              >> really happy with it. It's unobtrusively small, can be mounted to a
              >> belt clip for that fast record-on-the-fly
              >> you-get-only-one-shot-at-getting-a-record-of-this kinda situation.
              >>
              >> Workflow. It automatically syncs with iTunes, where you can metadata
              >> your heart out. It outputs .wav files that I import to Audacity where
              >> cut out the annoying "spffft" you get on hitting "record" among other
              >> editing things.
              >>
              >> Disclaimer: I work recording fine audio for a living so embrace the
              >> imperfection of this recording setup because of its ease,
              >> imperfections
              >> and limitations.
              >>
              >> Best,
              >> Jan
              >> --
              >> http://fauxpress.blogspot.com - motion
              >> http://blog.urbanartadventures.com - sound
              >> http://the-hold.blogspot.com - poetry
              >> http://dagnyhemingway.blogspot.com - machinima
              >> http://vlogpresskit.blogspot.com - media
              >> On Jun 1, 2006, at 6:20 AM, Mike Meiser wrote:
              >>
              >>> Yeah, so it's probably stupid to say this my not having done my
              >>> homework yet, but I was considering doing some recording too, and I
              >>> heard someone mention iPod. I heard the new ones recorded audio now,
              >>> but haven't yet begun to research the issue. I know in the past you
              >>> had to install podzilla (the linux firmare) or buy a third party
              >>> gadget. Are there any other options, and has anyone any experience or
              >>> recommendations?
              >>>
              >>> On 6/1/06, Michael Sullivan <sulleleven@...> wrote:archos.com

              >>> Fireant
              >>> Individual