Re: [videoblogging] Recording audio itnerviews

  • Andreas Haugstrup
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 1, 2006
      On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 15:34:06 +0200, Peter Van Dijck
      <petervandijck@...> wrote:

      > why not buy them in the usa if you'll be in the usa? In advance, have
      > it sent to someone's place ;)

      I have considered it, but I need a Danish reciept for tax purposes this
      time.

      --
      Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen
        I've been using Griffin's iTalk mic that sits on top of the iPod to
        "great" effect.

        "Great" because iPod's native sample rate is low (8000 khz) and you
        need to practice a bit to understand positioning relative to how loud
        the speaker talks and background noise, but for ease-of-use, I've been
        really happy with it. It's unobtrusively small, can be mounted to a
        belt clip for that fast record-on-the-fly
        you-get-only-one-shot-at-getting-a-record-of-this kinda situation.

        Workflow. It automatically syncs with iTunes, where you can metadata
        your heart out. It outputs .wav files that I import to Audacity where I
        cut out the annoying "spffft" you get on hitting "record" among other
        editing things.

        Disclaimer: I work recording fine audio for a living so embrace the
        imperfection of this recording setup because of its ease, imperfections
        and limitations.

        Best,
        Jan
        --
        http://fauxpress.blogspot.com - motion
        http://blog.urbanartadventures.com - sound

      • Jan McLaughlin
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 1, 2006
          Can't say about the video iPod since I don't have one, but tell me what
          model you have and I can find out through Apple's store if this Griffin
          iMic accessory is compatible with it.

          Jan

          --
          On Jun 1, 2006, at 6:35 AM, Peter Van Dijck wrote:

          > Jan, I have a video iPod, is there a way to record audio? That'd be
          > useful...
          >
          > tnx,
          > Peter
          >
          > On 5/31/06, Jan McLaughlin <jannie.jan@...> wrote:
          >> First, a question: do you have an iPod?
          >>
          >> Next: what's your budget?
          >>
          >> Jan
          >>
          >> --
          >> http://fauxpress.blogspot.com - motion
          >> http://blog.urbanartadventures.com - sound
          >> http://the-hold.blogspot.com - poetry
          >> http://dagnyhemingway.blogspot.com - machinima
          >> http://vlogpresskit.blogspot.com - media
          >> On May 31, 2006, at 2:56 PM, Andreas Haugstrup wrote:
          >>
          >>> This is perhaps slightly off-topic, but I don't know who else to turn
          >>> to.
          >>>
          >>> I'm going to vloggercon and I plan on recording interviews. For
          >>> various
          >>> practical reasons they'll be audio only, so I need to figure out how
          >>> record those. Problem is: I don't know anything.
          >>>
          >>> I imagine that I need to buy an mp3-player/recorder and a microphone,
          >>> but
          >>> I could really use some advice on what to get. Will any mp3-player
          >>> with a
          >>> line-in work fine and can you recommend a specific model? What kind
          >>> of
          >>> mic
          >>> should I get if I want the voice(s) of my victims come through, but
          >>> no
          >>> the
          >>> ambient noise of rowdy videobloggers? And can you recommend a model?
          >>>
          >>> I *am* on a budget, the university sadly won't pay for this (sucks!)
          >>>
          >>> --
          >>> Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen
          >>> Commentary on media, communication, culture and technology.

          >> Yahoo! Groups Links
          >>

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Bill Streeter
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 1, 2006
            The 5G ipods can record high bit rate audio at 44.1Khz but the only
            third party product that I can find that will allow you to do this
            is the Belkin Tune Talk (http://www.belkin.com/pressroom/images/?
            sid=55) and it doesn't seem to be widely available yet. None of the
            old 3rd party recording products will work with this ipod, and Apple
            doesn't make one either.

            Bill Streeter
            LO-FI SAINT LOUIS
            www.lofistl.com

            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Jan McLaughlin
            <jannie.jan@...> wrote:

            > Can't say about the video iPod since I don't have one, but tell me
            what
            > model you have and I can find out through Apple's store if this
            Griffin
            > iMic accessory is compatible with it.
            >
            > Jan
            >
            > --
            > http://fauxpress.blogspot.com - motion
            > http://blog.urbanartadventures.com - sound
            > http://the-hold.blogspot.com - poetry
            > http://dagnyhemingway.blogspot.com - machinima
            > http://vlogpresskit.blogspot.com - media
            > On Jun 1, 2006, at 6:35 AM, Peter Van Dijck wrote:
            >
            > > Jan, I have a video iPod, is there a way to record audio? That'd
            be
            > > useful...
            > >
            > > tnx,
            > > Peter
            > >
            > > On 5/31/06, Jan McLaughlin <jannie.jan@...> wrote:
            > >> First, a question: do you have an iPod?
            > >>
            > >> Next: what's your budget?
            > >>
            > >> Jan
            > >>
            > >> --
            > >> http://fauxpress.blogspot.com - motion
            > >> http://blog.urbanartadventures.com - sound
            > >> http://the-hold.blogspot.com - poetry
            > >> http://dagnyhemingway.blogspot.com - machinima
            > >> http://vlogpresskit.blogspot.com - media

            For

            > >> Yahoo! Groups Links
            > >>

            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Peter Van Dijck
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 1, 2006
              Thanks! It says "Compatible with any iPod with dock connector, so I
              guess that includes my video ipod I bought last fall... and at $38 I
              think I'll go for it.."

            • Jan McLaughlin
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 1, 2006
                Without any software or other mods the 20GB (8/2005 purchase) model
                iPod records with the following specs:

                bit rate = 128 KBps
                sample rate = 8000 kHz
                format = wav

                Bill, the notion that there's a way to increase the sample rate is very
                exciting indeed. The 44.1 kHz to which you refer is not "bit rate" but
                "sample rate", e.g. how many times per second the record head passes
                over the recording medium.

                128 KBps is very good for our purposes, but without a better sample
                rate, it might as well be 64 KBps, kinda thin and doesn't hold up
                through editing well.

                Look forward to more information about this.

                Jan

                On Jun 1, 2006, at 7:29 AM, Bill Streeter wrote:

                > The 5G ipods can record high bit rate audio at 44.1Khz but the only
                > third party product that I can find that will allow you to do this
                > is the Belkin Tune Talk (http://www.belkin.com/pressroom/images/?
                > sid=55) and it doesn't seem to be widely available yet. None of the
                > old 3rd party recording products will work with this ipod, and Apple
                > doesn't make one either.
                >
                > Bill Streeter
                > LO-FI SAINT LOUIS
                > www.lofistl.com
              • Jan McLaughlin
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 1, 2006
                  One more thing, Peter: the Griffin iTalk also functions as a speaker,
                  so you can quietly listen to your music library without wearing
                  headphones. Sweet.

                  Jan

                  On Jun 1, 2006, at 8:18 AM, Peter Van Dijck wrote:

                  > Thanks! It says "Compatible with any iPod with dock connector, so I
                  > guess that includes my video ipod I bought last fall... and at $38 I
                  > think I'll go for it.."
                  >
                  > On 6/1/06, Jan McLaughlin <jannie.jan@...> wrote:
                  >> I've been using Griffin's iTalk mic that sits on top of the iPod to
                  >> "great" effect.
                  >>
                  >> "Great" because iPod's native sample rate is low (8000 khz) and you
                  >> need to practice a bit to understand positioning relative to how loud
                  >> the speaker talks and background noise, but for ease-of-use, I've been
                  >> really happy with it. It's unobtrusively small, can be mounted to a
                  >> belt clip for that fast record-on-the-fly
                  >> you-get-only-one-shot-at-getting-a-record-of-this kinda situation.
                  >>
                  >> Workflow. It automatically syncs with iTunes, where you can metadata
                  >> your heart out. It outputs .wav files that I import to Audacity where
                  >> cut out the annoying "spffft" you get on hitting "record" among other
                  >> editing things.
                  >>
                  >> Disclaimer: I work recording fine audio for a living so embrace the
                  >> imperfection of this recording setup because of its ease,
                  >> imperfections
                  >> and limitations.
                  >>
                  >> Best,
                  >> Jan
                  >> --
                  >> http://fauxpress.blogspot.com - motion
                  >> http://blog.urbanartadventures.com - sound
                  >> http://the-hold.blogspot.com - poetry
                  >> http://dagnyhemingway.blogspot.com - machinima
                  >> http://vlogpresskit.blogspot.com - media
                  >> On Jun 1, 2006, at 6:20 AM, Mike Meiser wrote:
                  >>
                  >>> Yeah, so it's probably stupid to say this my not having done my
                  >>> homework yet, but I was considering doing some recording too, and I
                  >>> heard someone mention iPod. I heard the new ones recorded audio now,
                  >>> but haven't yet begun to research the issue. I know in the past you
                  >>> had to install podzilla (the linux firmare) or buy a third party
                  >>> gadget. Are there any other options, and has anyone any experience or
                  >>> recommendations?
                  >>>
                  >>> On 6/1/06, Michael Sullivan <sulleleven@...> wrote:archos.com

                  >>> Fireant
                  >>> Individual