Yahoo video uploads

  • Peter Van Dijck
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2006
      And now there is, Yahoo video uploads.
      http://video.yahoo.com/

      It's a search engine, it's an aggregator, it's an upload site.

      "- Featured, Popular, Category and Tag sections enable users to easily
      browse for videos.
      - Users can subscribe to and watch channels, groups of videos related
      by source or topic, to stay current on content from their favorite
      publishers.
      - Users can access the largest database of videos on the Web through
      Yahoo! Search"

      What do we think? :)
      Peter
      --
      http://mefeedia.com
    • Devlon
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2006
        heh, I tried to watch a video and got this:

        ERROR

        We are experiencing technical difficulties right now, please try again later.Please use the following error code when writing to Yahoo! Help. (Error Code: 24)

        On 6/1/06, Peter Van Dijck <petervandijck@...> wrote:
        And now there is, Yahoo video uploads.
        http://video.yahoo.com/

        It's a search engine, it's an aggregator, it's an upload site.

        "- Featured, Popular, Category and Tag sections enable users to easily
        browse for videos.
        - Users can subscribe to and watch channels, groups of videos related
        by source or topic, to stay current on content from their favorite
        publishers.
        - Users can access the largest database of videos on the Web through
        Yahoo! Search"

        What do we think? :)
        Peter
        --
        http://mefeedia.com

        Fireant Individual Typepad
        Use Explains

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        --
        ~Devlon
        http://loadedpun.com | http://mefeedia.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2006
          the inevitable continues.

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/.7bhrC/MGxNAA/yQLSAA/lBLqlB/TM

               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          --
          Sull
          http://vlogdir.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 1, 2006
            I haven't totally explored it, but I think its pretty good.
            I like that its got search, aggregation, and uploads together.
            Its got some overlap with the Yahoo Podcast Directory except that it isn't geared mostly to discovering feeds. It does have a concept of "channels" though. I do not think they've done enough to promote the upload service and that may be confusing to people seeking a competitor to YouTube, but if its built into other Yahoo services, that might not matter...

            -Josh

            On 6/1/06, Michael Sullivan <sulleleven@...> wrote:
            the inevitable continues.

[...]

               Visit your group "videoblogging" on the web.

            • Heath
              Message 5 of 10 , Jun 1, 2006
                I like it to at first glance, and I like the fact if you type
                in "Batman" into the search function, my feed is the number 1
                channel.... :) And when I click on it even though it doesn't show
                all my video it has a link to my site a little blurp and have the
                ability to subscribe through yahoo and rate it and comment on the
                feed.....all in all not bad.......

                Heath - Batman Geek
                http://batmangeek7.blogspot.com

                --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Joshua Kinberg" <jkinberg@...>
                wrote:

                > I haven't totally explored it, but I think its pretty good.
                > I like that its got search, aggregation, and uploads together.
                > Its got some overlap with the Yahoo Podcast Directory except that
                it isn't
                > geared mostly to discovering feeds. It does have a concept
                of "channels"
                > though. I do not think they've done enough to promote the upload
                service and
                > that may be confusing to people seeking a competitor to YouTube,
                but if its
                > built into other Yahoo services, that might not matter...
                >
                > -Josh
                >

                > On 6/1/06, Michael Sullivan <sulleleven@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > the inevitable continues.
                > >
                > > On 6/1/06, Peter Van Dijck <petervandijck@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > > And now there is, Yahoo video uploads.
                > > > http://video.yahoo.com/
                > > >
                > > > It's a search engine, it's an aggregator, it's an upload site.
                > > >
                > > > "- Featured, Popular, Category and Tag sections enable users to
                easily
                > > > browse for videos.
                > > > - Users can subscribe to and watch channels, groups of videos
                related
                > > > by source or topic, to stay current on content from their
                favorite
                > > > publishers.
                > > > - Users can access the largest database of videos on the Web
                through
                > > > Yahoo! Search"
                > > >
                > > > What do we think? :)
                > > > Peter
                > > > --
                > > > http://mefeedia.com

                > > Sull
                > > http://vlogdir.com
                > > http://SpreadTheMedia.org

                t=ms&k=Fireant&w1=Fireant&w2=Individual&w3=Typepad&w4=Use&w5=Explains&
                c=5&s=65&.sig=WCpOSpSwoYO432IaYB1XiQ>
                > > Individual<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                t=ms&k=Individual&w1=Fireant&w2=Individual&w3=Typepad&w4=Use&w5=Explai
                ns&c=5&s=65&.sig=hFHM3V_4GtbmWeTN5iA9ig>
                > > Typepad<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                t=ms&k=Typepad&w1=Fireant&w2=Individual&w3=Typepad&w4=Use&w5=Explains&
                c=5&s=65&.sig=_ro7JDo9ahztIvpG_ELM7A>
                > > Use<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                t=ms&k=Use&w1=Fireant&w2=Individual&w3=Typepad&w4=Use&w5=Explains&c=5&
                s=65&.sig=Bv8zKzTXVJwkBZ1KcmF_KQ>
                > > Explains<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                t=ms&k=Explains&w1=Fireant&w2=Individual&w3=Typepad&w4=Use&w5=Explains
                &c=5&s=65&.sig=pWcuDK4cvHNOMSasJvZAzA>

                Service<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
                > > .
                > >
                > > ------------------------------

              • Casey McKinnon
                Message 6 of 10 , Jun 1, 2006
                  Hehehe... congrats Heath!

                  C.

                  --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Heath" <heathparks@...> wrote:

                  > I like it to at first glance, and I like the fact if you type
                  > in "Batman" into the search function, my feed is the number 1
                  > channel.... :) And when I click on it even though it doesn't show
                  > all my video it has a link to my site a little blurp and have the
                  > ability to subscribe through yahoo and rate it and comment on the
                  > feed.....all in all not bad.......
                  >
                  > Heath - Batman Geek
                  > http://batmangeek7.blogspot.com
                  >
                  > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Joshua Kinberg" <jkinberg@>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I haven't totally explored it, but I think its pretty good.
                  > > I like that its got search, aggregation, and uploads together.
                  > > Its got some overlap with the Yahoo Podcast Directory except that
                  > it isn't
                  > > geared mostly to discovering feeds. It does have a concept
                  > of "channels"
                  > > though. I do not think they've done enough to promote the upload
                  > service and
                  > > that may be confusing to people seeking a competitor to YouTube,
                  > but if its
                  > > built into other Yahoo services, that might not matter...
                  > >
                  > > -Josh
                  > >

                  > > On 6/1/06, Michael Sullivan <sulleleven@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > the inevitable continues.

                  > easily
                  > related
                  > favorite
                  > through

                  > > > Sull
                  > > > http://vlogdir.com
                  > > > http://SpreadTheMedia.org

                  > t=ms&k=Fireant&w1=Fireant&w2=Individual&w3=Typepad&w4=Use&w5=Explains&
                  > c=5&s=65&.sig=WCpOSpSwoYO432IaYB1XiQ>
                  > > > Individual<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                  > t=ms&k=Individual&w1=Fireant&w2=Individual&w3=Typepad&w4=Use&w5=Explai
                  > ns&c=5&s=65&.sig=hFHM3V_4GtbmWeTN5iA9ig>
                  > > > Typepad<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                  > t=ms&k=Typepad&w1=Fireant&w2=Individual&w3=Typepad&w4=Use&w5=Explains&
                  > c=5&s=65&.sig=_ro7JDo9ahztIvpG_ELM7A>
                  > > > Use<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                  > t=ms&k=Use&w1=Fireant&w2=Individual&w3=Typepad&w4=Use&w5=Explains&c=5&
                  > s=65&.sig=Bv8zKzTXVJwkBZ1KcmF_KQ>
                  > > > Explains<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                  > t=ms&k=Explains&w1=Fireant&w2=Individual&w3=Typepad&w4=Use&w5=Explains
                  > &c=5&s=65&.sig=pWcuDK4cvHNOMSasJvZAzA>
                  > > > on the web.

                  > Service<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
                  > > > .
                  > > >
                  > > > ------------------------------

                • WWWhatsup
                  Message 7 of 10 , Jun 1, 2006

                    They've made some improvements on the YouTube licence,
                    while thoroughly covering their asses.

                    For instance, you can withdraw your vid at any time, terminating
                    all rights to Yahoo and it's users.

                    Note the remix stipulations in paras 4 b) and 4 c)

                    joly

                    Yahoo! Video Service Additional Terms of Service ("Additional
                    Terms")

                    1. ACCEPTANCE OF YAHOO! TERMS

                    Welcome to the Yahoo! Video Service ("Yahoo! Video Service").
                    Your use of the Yahoo! Video Service is subject to these
                    Additional Terms and supplement the Yahoo! Terms of Service
                    ("TOS") located at http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ incorporated
                    by reference. Yahoo reserves the right to update and change, from
                    time to time, these Additional Terms and all documents
                    incorporated by reference. You can always find the most recent
                    version of these Additional Terms at
                    http://video.yahoo.com/html/tos.html and the most recent version
                    of the TOS at the URL indicated above.

                    2. DESCRIPTION OF SERVICE

                    The Yahoo! Video Service provides functionality that allows Yahoo!
                    users who have a valid Yahoo! ID ("You") to upload video content
                    ("Video Content") to be hosted by Yahoo! and to be indexed and
                    crawled by Yahoo!'s Video Search technology for public display on
                    Yahoo!'s network of properties, including without limitation,
                    Yahoo! Video Search, and on Yahoo!'s syndicated third party sites,
                    and for the public posting, viewing and sharing of the Video
                    Content with others. You expressly acknowledge and agree that the
                    Yahoo Video Service is a public service, that once You submit Your
                    Video Content for inclusion into the Yahoo! Video Service, it will
                    be accessible by others, and that there is no confidentiality or
                    privacy with respect to Your Video Content. There is no cost to
                    you to submit Your Video Content.

                    3. PROHIBITED CONTENT AND CONDUCT

                    By submitting Your Video Content, You agree:

                    a. that You own or have the necessary licenses, rights, consents
                    and permissions to all patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright
                    or other proprietary rights ("Rights") to the Video Content, and
                    any audio, music, or other works of art that You incorporate into
                    Your Video Content, and to authorize Yahoo! to use and include the
                    Video Content in the Yahoo! Video Service in the manner
                    contemplated in these Additional Terms.

                    b. that You have the written consent, release, and/or permission
                    of each and every identifiable individual person in Your Video
                    Content to use such person's name or likeness for use and
                    inclusion in the Yahoo! Video Service in the manner contemplated
                    in these Additional Terms.

                    c. not to include any Video Content that is unlawful, harmful,
                    threatening, abusive, harassing, tortious, defamatory, vulgar,
                    pornographic, offensive, indecent, libelous, invasive of another's
                    privacy, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise
                    objectionable.

                    4. SUBMISSION OF VIDEO CONTENT TO YAHOO!

                    You retain ownership to the Video Content You submit for inclusion
                    into the Yahoo! Video Service. However, by submitting Your Video
                    Content to Yahoo!, You hereby grant Yahoo! the following
                    worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive, sublicensable and
                    transferable rights and licenses:

                    a. to host, cache, store, archive, index, crawl, create
                    algorithms based thereon, modify or transcode the Video Content to
                    appropriate media formats, standards or mediums as part of the
                    Yahoo! Video Service;

                    b. to use, distribute, reproduce, modify, remix, excerpt, adapt,
                    prepare derivative works of, publicly perform and publicly display
                    the Video Content on the Yahoo! Video Service or on any Yahoo!
                    property, including in connection with any distribution or
                    syndication arrangement thereof with third parties or third party
                    sites, in any media format or medium and through any media
                    channels; and

                    c. to use Your Video Content for advertising, promotional or
                    commercial purposes, including without limitation, the right to
                    publicly display, perform, reproduce and distribute Your Video
                    Content in any media format or medium and through any media
                    channels.

                    By submitting Your Video Content for inclusion into the Yahoo!
                    Video Service, you also grant the following use of and rights to
                    Your Video Content to others: (i) the non-exclusive license to
                    access Your Video Content through the Yahoo! Video Service; (ii)
                    the ability for Yahoo! registered users ("Yahoo! Users") to rate,
                    review, comment on and tag Your Video Content; (iii) the ability
                    to embed Yahoo!'s video player with Your Video Content on their
                    web site; (iv) the ability for Yahoo! Users to send and distribute
                    Your Video Content via E-mail or Instant Messenger; (v) the
                    ability to access Your Video Content via Yahoo!'s web service APIs
                    or via RSS or any similar XML or related feeds; and (vi) the non-
                    exclusive license to use, reproduce, distribute, remix, prepare
                    derivative works of and compilations, display and perform Your
                    Video Content as permitted through the functionality of the Yahoo!
                    Video Service and under these Additional Terms and the TOS.

                    The foregoing licenses granted by You shall terminate once You
                    remove or delete Your Video Content from the Yahoo! Video Service.

                    5. ADVERTISING RIGHTS

                    Yahoo! reserves and has the right to sell, license and/or display
                    any advertising, promotional and distribution rights in connection
                    with Your Video Content and Yahoo! will be entitled to retain any
                    and all revenue generated from any sales or licenses of such
                    advertising, promotional or distribution rights. Nothing in these
                    Additional Terms obligates or may be deemed to obligate Yahoo! to
                    sell, license or offer to sell or license any advertising,
                    promotion or distribution rights.

                    6. INDEMNITY

                    You agree to indemnify and hold harmless Yahoo, and its
                    subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, agents, or other partners, and
                    employees, from any claim or demand, including reasonable
                    attorneys' fees, made by any third party due to or arising out of
                    Your use of and access to the Yahoo! Video Service, Your violation
                    of the TOS, these Additional Terms, Your violation of any rights
                    of another person or entity, or Your violation of any applicable
                    laws or regulations.

                    7. YAHOO!'S RESERVATION OF RIGHTS

                    In addition to all other legal remedies available to Yahoo!, You
                    acknowledge that Yahoo! has the right to remove Your Video Content
                    from the Yahoo! Video Service or refuse to include Your Video
                    Content in the Yahoo! Video Service, suspend or terminate Your
                    Yahoo! account or refuse to grant You access to any current or
                    future use of the Yahoo! Video Service or any Yahoo! service with
                    or without warning if Yahoo!, in its sole discretion, believes You
                    have: (i) violated or tried to violate the rights of Yahoo! or
                    others; or (ii) violated or tried to violate or acted
                    inconsistently pursuant to these Additional Terms or any other
                    terms of the TOS.

                    8. INVALIDITY OF SPECIFIC TERMS

                    If any provision of these Additional Terms or any document
                    incorporated by reference is found by a court of competent
                    jurisdiction to be invalid, the parties nevertheless agree that
                    the court should endeavor to give effect to the parties'
                    intentions as reflected in the provision, and the other provisions
                    of such documents remain in full force and effect

                    9. LOCATION OF LAWSUIT

                    The TOS, which apply to Your use of the Yahoo! Video Service,
                    provide that both You and Yahoo! agree to submit to the personal
                    and exclusive jurisdiction of the courts located within the county
                    of Santa Clara, California, USA.

                    WWWhatsup NYC
                  • Bill Streeter
                    Message 8 of 10 , Jun 1, 2006
                      YouTube has had this clause for some time too. In fact the YouTube
                      user agreement isn't all that bad now.

                      Bill Streeter
                      LO-FI SAINT LOUIS
                      www.lofistl.com

                      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, WWWhatsup <joly@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > have: (i) violated or tried to violate the rights of Yahoo! or
                      > others; or (ii) violated or tried to violate or acted
                      > inconsistently pursuant to these Additional Terms or any other
                      > terms of the TOS.
                      >
                      > 8. INVALIDITY OF SPECIFIC TERMS
                      >
                      > If any provision of these Additional Terms or any document
                      > incorporated by reference is found by a court of competent
                      > jurisdiction to be invalid, the parties nevertheless agree that
                      > the court should endeavor to give effect to the parties'
                      > intentions as reflected in the provision, and the other provisions
                      > of such documents remain in full force and effect
                      >
                      > 9. LOCATION OF LAWSUIT
                      >
                      > The TOS, which apply to Your use of the Yahoo! Video Service,
                      > provide that both You and Yahoo! agree to submit to the personal
                      > and exclusive jurisdiction of the courts located within the county

                    • Steve Garfield
                      Message 9 of 10 , Jun 1, 2006
                        That's interesting.

                        So you could imply that the only place they are actually going to
                        display your videos is on Yahoo!, since if they put your videos on
                        DVD's they'd have a hard time removing them once you delete your video
                        from Yahoo!

                        On Jun 1, 2006, at 12:47 PM, Bill Streeter wrote:

                        >> The foregoing licenses granted by You shall terminate once You
                        >> remove or delete Your Video Content from the Yahoo! Video Service.

                        --Steve
                        --
                        http://SteveGarfield.com - Fighting the good fight
                        http://Rocketboom.com - Correspondent