Re: [videoblogging] Recording audio itnerviews

  • Jan McLaughlin
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 1, 2006
      Hmmm. Then I'd see if you can find a used iRiver and a Sony mic - Chris
      Ritke and Markus have this setup and they can tell you which Sony mic
      they're using, but it comes with a mount (to attach to the speaker's
      shirt) and just-long-enough cable so you can have it close to their
      mouth, even hand-held.

      Best,
      Jan
      --
      http://fauxpress.blogspot.com - motion
      http://blog.urbanartadventures.com - sound
      On May 31, 2006, at 10:12 PM, Andreas Haugstrup wrote:

      > On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 00:52:29 +0200, Jan McLaughlin
      > <jannie.jan@...> wrote:
      >
      >> First, a question: do you have an iPod?
      >
      > I only have an iPod Shuffle. :o(
      >
      >> Next: what's your budget?
      >
      > $250-$300, but since I have to buy in Denmark my actual budget is less
      > (stuff cost more here). Ideally I need to be able to record 5-8 hours.
      >
      > --
      > Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen

    • Michael Sullivan
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 1, 2006
        archos.com

        On 5/31/06, Andreas Haugstrup <solitude@...> wrote:
        This is perhaps slightly off-topic, but I don't know who else to turn to.

        I'm going to vloggercon and I plan on recording interviews. For various
        practical reasons they'll be audio only, so I need to figure out how to
        record those. Problem is: I don't know anything.

        I imagine that I need to buy an mp3-player/recorder and a microphone, but
        I could really use some advice on what to get. Will any mp3-player with a
        line-in work fine and can you recommend a specific model? What kind of mic
        should I get if I want the voice(s) of my victims come through, but no the
        ambient noise of rowdy videobloggers? And can you recommend a model?

        I *am* on a budget, the university sadly won't pay for this (sucks!)

        --
        Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen

        You can search right from your browser? It's easy and it's free.  See how.
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/lBLqlB/TM

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        --
        Sull
        http://vlogdir.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 1, 2006
          Yeah, so it's probably stupid to say this my not having done my homework yet, but I was considering doing some recording too, and I heard someone mention iPod. I heard the new ones recorded audio now, but haven't yet begun to research the issue. I know in the past you had to install podzilla (the linux firmare) or buy a third party gadget. Are there any other options, and has anyone any experience or recommendations?

          On 6/1/06, Michael Sullivan <sulleleven@...> wrote:
[...]

          Fireant Individual Typepad
          Use Explains

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

             Visit your group "videoblogging" on the web.

          • Peter Van Dijck
            Message 4 of 18 , Jun 1, 2006
              why not buy them in the usa if you'll be in the usa? In advance, have
              it sent to someone's place ;)

              Message 5 of 18 , Jun 1, 2006
                Jan, I have a video iPod, is there a way to record audio? That'd be useful...

                tnx,
                Peter

                On 5/31/06, Jan McLaughlin <jannie.jan@...> wrote:
                > First, a question: do you have an iPod?
                >
                > Next: what's your budget?
                >
                > Jan
                >
                > --
                > http://fauxpress.blogspot.com - motion
                > http://blog.urbanartadventures.com - sound
                > http://the-hold.blogspot.com - poetry
                > http://dagnyhemingway.blogspot.com - machinima
                > http://vlogpresskit.blogspot.com - media
                > On May 31, 2006, at 2:56 PM, Andreas Haugstrup wrote:
                >
                > > This is perhaps slightly off-topic, but I don't know who else to turn
                > > to.
                > >
                > > I'm going to vloggercon and I plan on recording interviews. For various
                > > practical reasons they'll be audio only, so I need to figure out how to
                > > record those. Problem is: I don't know anything.
                > >
                > > I imagine that I need to buy an mp3-player/recorder and a microphone,
                > > but
                > > I could really use some advice on what to get. Will any mp3-player
                > > with a
                > > line-in work fine and can you recommend a specific model? What kind of
                > > mic
                > > should I get if I want the voice(s) of my victims come through, but no
                > > the
                > > ambient noise of rowdy videobloggers? And can you recommend a model?
                > >
                > > I *am* on a budget, the university sadly won't pay for this (sucks!)
                > >
                > > --
                > > Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen
                > > Commentary on media, communication, culture and technology.

              • Andreas Haugstrup
                Message 6 of 18 , Jun 1, 2006
                  On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 15:34:06 +0200, Peter Van Dijck
                  <petervandijck@...> wrote:

                  > why not buy them in the usa if you'll be in the usa? In advance, have
                  > it sent to someone's place ;)

                  I have considered it, but I need a Danish reciept for tax purposes this
                  time.

                  --
                  Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen
                    I've been using Griffin's iTalk mic that sits on top of the iPod to
                    "great" effect.

                    "Great" because iPod's native sample rate is low (8000 khz) and you
                    need to practice a bit to understand positioning relative to how loud
                    the speaker talks and background noise, but for ease-of-use, I've been
                    really happy with it. It's unobtrusively small, can be mounted to a
                    belt clip for that fast record-on-the-fly
                    you-get-only-one-shot-at-getting-a-record-of-this kinda situation.

                    Workflow. It automatically syncs with iTunes, where you can metadata
                    your heart out. It outputs .wav files that I import to Audacity where I
                    cut out the annoying "spffft" you get on hitting "record" among other
                    editing things.

                    Disclaimer: I work recording fine audio for a living so embrace the
                    imperfection of this recording setup because of its ease, imperfections
                    and limitations.

                    Best,
                    Jan
                    --
                    On Jun 1, 2006, at 6:20 AM, Mike Meiser wrote:

                    > Yeah, so it's probably stupid to say this my not having done my
                    > homework yet, but I was considering doing some recording too, and I
                    > heard someone mention iPod. I heard the new ones recorded audio now,
                    > but haven't yet begun to research the issue. I know in the past you
                    > had to install podzilla (the linux firmare) or buy a third party
                    > gadget. Are there any other options, and has anyone any experience or
                    > recommendations?
                    >
                    > On 6/1/06, Michael Sullivan <sulleleven@...> wrote:archos.com
                    >>
                    >> On 5/31/06, Andreas Haugstrup <solitude@...> wrote:
                    >>> This is perhaps slightly off-topic, but I don't know who else to
                    >>> turn to.
                    >>>
                    >>> I'm going to vloggercon and I plan on recording interviews. For
                    >>> various
                    >>> practical reasons they'll be audio only, so I need to figure out how
                    >>> record those. Problem is: I don't know anything.
                    >>>
                    >>> I imagine that I need to buy an mp3-player/recorder and a
                    >>> microphone, but
                    >>> I could really use some advice on what to get. Will any mp3-player
                    >>> with a
                    >>> line-in work fine and can you recommend a specific model? What kind
                    >>> of mic
                    >>> should I get if I want the voice(s) of my victims come through, but
                    >>> no the
                    >>> ambient noise of rowdy videobloggers? And can you recommend a model?
                    >>>
                    >>> I *am* on a budget, the university sadly won't pay for this (sucks!)
                    >>>
                    >>> --
                    >>> Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen
                    >>> Commentary on media, communication, culture and technology.
                    >>>

                    >>> ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                    >>>

                    >> --
                    >> Sull
                    >> http://vlogdir.com
                    >> http://SpreadTheMedia.org

                    >> Fireant
                    >> Individual
                    >> Typepad
                    >> Use
                    >> Explains
                    >>
                    >> YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                    >>
                    >>  Visit your group "videoblogging" on the web.
                    >>
                    >>  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                    >>
                    >>  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service .

                    > Fireant
                    > Individual
                    > Typepad
                    > Use
                    > Explains
                    >
                    > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                    >
                    > ▪  Visit your group "videoblogging" on the web.

                    > Service.

                  • Jan McLaughlin
                    Message 8 of 18 , Jun 1, 2006
                      Can't say about the video iPod since I don't have one, but tell me what
                      model you have and I can find out through Apple's store if this Griffin
                      iMic accessory is compatible with it.

                      Jan

                      --
                      On Jun 1, 2006, at 6:35 AM, Peter Van Dijck wrote:

                      > Jan, I have a video iPod, is there a way to record audio? That'd be
                      > useful...
                      >
                      > tnx,
                      > Peter
                      >
                      > On 5/31/06, Jan McLaughlin <jannie.jan@...> wrote:
                      >> First, a question: do you have an iPod?
                      >>
                      >> Next: what's your budget?
                      >>
                      >> Jan
                      >>
                      >> --
                      >> http://fauxpress.blogspot.com - motion
                      >> http://blog.urbanartadventures.com - sound
                      >> http://the-hold.blogspot.com - poetry
                      >> http://dagnyhemingway.blogspot.com - machinima
                      >> http://vlogpresskit.blogspot.com - media
                      >> On May 31, 2006, at 2:56 PM, Andreas Haugstrup wrote:
                      >>
                      >>> This is perhaps slightly off-topic, but I don't know who else to turn
                      >>> to.
                      >>>
                      >>> I'm going to vloggercon and I plan on recording interviews. For
                      >>> various
                      >>> practical reasons they'll be audio only, so I need to figure out how
                      >>> record those. Problem is: I don't know anything.
                      >>>
                      >>> I imagine that I need to buy an mp3-player/recorder and a microphone,
                      >>> but
                      >>> I could really use some advice on what to get. Will any mp3-player
                      >>> with a
                      >>> line-in work fine and can you recommend a specific model? What kind
                      >>> of
                      >>> mic
                      >>> should I get if I want the voice(s) of my victims come through, but
                      >>> no
                      >>> the
                      >>> ambient noise of rowdy videobloggers? And can you recommend a model?
                      >>>
                      >>> I *am* on a budget, the university sadly won't pay for this (sucks!)
                      >>>
                      >>> --
                      >>> Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen
                      >>> Commentary on media, communication, culture and technology.

                      >> Yahoo! Groups Links
                      >>

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Bill Streeter
                      Message 9 of 18 , Jun 1, 2006
                        The 5G ipods can record high bit rate audio at 44.1Khz but the only
                        third party product that I can find that will allow you to do this
                        is the Belkin Tune Talk (http://www.belkin.com/pressroom/images/?
                        sid=55) and it doesn't seem to be widely available yet. None of the
                        old 3rd party recording products will work with this ipod, and Apple
                        doesn't make one either.

                        Bill Streeter
                        LO-FI SAINT LOUIS
                        www.lofistl.com

                        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Jan McLaughlin
                        <jannie.jan@...> wrote:

                        > Can't say about the video iPod since I don't have one, but tell me
                        what
                        > model you have and I can find out through Apple's store if this
                        Griffin
                        > iMic accessory is compatible with it.
                        >
                        > Jan
                        >
                        > --
                        > http://fauxpress.blogspot.com - motion
                        > http://blog.urbanartadventures.com - sound
                        > http://the-hold.blogspot.com - poetry
                        > http://dagnyhemingway.blogspot.com - machinima
                        > http://vlogpresskit.blogspot.com - media
                        > On Jun 1, 2006, at 6:35 AM, Peter Van Dijck wrote:
                        >
                        > > Jan, I have a video iPod, is there a way to record audio? That'd
                        be
                        > > useful...
                        > >
                        > > tnx,
                        > > Peter
                        > >
                        > > On 5/31/06, Jan McLaughlin <jannie.jan@...> wrote:
                        > >> First, a question: do you have an iPod?
                        > >>
                        > >> Next: what's your budget?
                        > >>
                        > >> Jan
                        > >>
                        > >> --
                        > >> http://fauxpress.blogspot.com - motion
                        > >> http://blog.urbanartadventures.com - sound
                        > >> http://the-hold.blogspot.com - poetry
                        > >> http://dagnyhemingway.blogspot.com - machinima
                        > >> http://vlogpresskit.blogspot.com - media

                        For

                        > >> Yahoo! Groups Links
                        > >>

                        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Peter Van Dijck
                        Message 10 of 18 , Jun 1, 2006
                          Thanks! It says "Compatible with any iPod with dock connector, so I
                          guess that includes my video ipod I bought last fall... and at $38 I
                          think I'll go for it.."

                        • Jan McLaughlin
                          Message 11 of 18 , Jun 1, 2006
                            Without any software or other mods the 20GB (8/2005 purchase) model
                            iPod records with the following specs:

                            bit rate = 128 KBps
                            sample rate = 8000 kHz
                            format = wav

                            Bill, the notion that there's a way to increase the sample rate is very
                            exciting indeed. The 44.1 kHz to which you refer is not "bit rate" but
                            "sample rate", e.g. how many times per second the record head passes
                            over the recording medium.

                            128 KBps is very good for our purposes, but without a better sample
                            rate, it might as well be 64 KBps, kinda thin and doesn't hold up
                            through editing well.

                            Look forward to more information about this.

                            Jan

                            On Jun 1, 2006, at 7:29 AM, Bill Streeter wrote:

                            > The 5G ipods can record high bit rate audio at 44.1Khz but the only
                            > third party product that I can find that will allow you to do this
                            > is the Belkin Tune Talk (http://www.belkin.com/pressroom/images/?
                            > sid=55) and it doesn't seem to be widely available yet. None of the
                            > old 3rd party recording products will work with this ipod, and Apple
                            > doesn't make one either.
                            >
                            > Bill Streeter
                            > LO-FI SAINT LOUIS
                            > www.lofistl.com
                          • Jan McLaughlin
                            Message 12 of 18 , Jun 1, 2006
                              One more thing, Peter: the Griffin iTalk also functions as a speaker,
                              so you can quietly listen to your music library without wearing
                              headphones. Sweet.

                              Jan

                              On Jun 1, 2006, at 8:18 AM, Peter Van Dijck wrote:

                              > Thanks! It says "Compatible with any iPod with dock connector, so I
                              > guess that includes my video ipod I bought last fall... and at $38 I
                              > think I'll go for it.."
                              >
                              > On 6/1/06, Jan McLaughlin <jannie.jan@...> wrote:
                              >> I've been using Griffin's iTalk mic that sits on top of the iPod to
                              >> "great" effect.
                              >>
                              >> "Great" because iPod's native sample rate is low (8000 khz) and you
                              >> need to practice a bit to understand positioning relative to how loud
                              >> the speaker talks and background noise, but for ease-of-use, I've been
                              >> really happy with it. It's unobtrusively small, can be mounted to a
                              >> belt clip for that fast record-on-the-fly
                              >> you-get-only-one-shot-at-getting-a-record-of-this kinda situation.
                              >>
                              >> Workflow. It automatically syncs with iTunes, where you can metadata
                              >> your heart out. It outputs .wav files that I import to Audacity where
                              >> cut out the annoying "spffft" you get on hitting "record" among other
                              >> editing things.
                              >>
                              >> Disclaimer: I work recording fine audio for a living so embrace the
                              >> imperfection of this recording setup because of its ease,
                              >> imperfections
                              >> and limitations.
                              >>
                              >> Best,
                              >> Jan
                              >> --
                              >> http://fauxpress.blogspot.com - motion
                              >> http://blog.urbanartadventures.com - sound
                              >> http://the-hold.blogspot.com - poetry
                              >> http://dagnyhemingway.blogspot.com - machinima
                              >> http://vlogpresskit.blogspot.com - media
                              >> On Jun 1, 2006, at 6:20 AM, Mike Meiser wrote:
                              >>
                              >>> Yeah, so it's probably stupid to say this my not having done my
                              >>> homework yet, but I was considering doing some recording too, and I
                              >>> heard someone mention iPod. I heard the new ones recorded audio now,
                              >>> but haven't yet begun to research the issue. I know in the past you
                              >>> had to install podzilla (the linux firmare) or buy a third party
                              >>> gadget. Are there any other options, and has anyone any experience or
                              >>> recommendations?
                              >>>
                              >>> On 6/1/06, Michael Sullivan <sulleleven@...> wrote:archos.com

                              >>> Fireant
                              >>> Individual