  • contactmica
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2004
      Notes on Video Blogging

      By nature a blog is
      <sum> open source
      <sum> collaborative
      <sum> dialog
      <sum> accumulative
      <sum> contemporary

      The `author as diarist' seems to be the proto-language of the
      blog. Like the painterly photo, or the film as `photoplay', or the TV
      as tiny proscenium theatre, blogging takes its first steps in the
      shoes of a preceding technology. And it is a very appropriate
      language to start with as blogging shares many common traits
      with letter writing / diary keeping – it is periodic, its is a dialog
      and unlike say, a phone conversation, it is author-centric(very
      much 1st person in its content) and it is a cumulative form of
      story telling.

      Being a diarist in that way doesn't appeal to me, personally. I'm
      more interested in the element of accumulation - a buildup of
      content to give relevance to the form – that meaning establishes
      itself over time.

      Adding video to this form will allow the medium to truly come into
      its own and begin establishing its unique language. So, what
      can a video blog do or rather, what can I do with a video blog that
      I cannot do with other mediums? It attracts me because of this
      unique combination of traits in a visual medium. It is irrelevant to
      me if its content is edited or `real' or `art'. What is most
      interesting to me is that it provides a way to tell a story that could
      eliminate worn-out narrative forms without relying on
      `postmodern' or ironic or self-aware tricks, most of which are
      rapidly becoming traps.

      so anyways, I know that you are primarily concerned at present,
      with the technical issues of making this happen, but I have no
      doubt you will. I am chomping at the bit to enact some of my
      ideas and thrilled to have a diverse group people experimenting
      and analyzing in the same way. Yea!
      hoping i can get some of my more technically adept friends to
      joins us soon(and make up for my own ineptness in the area.)