Hi [An Introduction]

  • arkrandall
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 12, 2005
      Hi,

      I'm new to the group. My name is Mark Randall. I am chief magician
      at Serious Magic, a small software company that specializes in
      creating video tools that take a unique approach to video creation.

      My work at Serious Magic is an outgrowth of my unhealthy obsession
      with democratizing the tools of video creation. Ok, some background
      on me:

      In the early eighties I started as a flunky video shooter, editor
      and eventually producer in Los Angeles. Over the years I worked my
      way up (usually the hard way) and I've done just about every kind of
      production there is from local commercials to national broadcasts to
      bad late-nite infomercials. Proving that we all have to learn
      somewhere, I even worked on one porn shoot (but I was behind the
      camera, it was only one day, and I never even got paid the paltry
      sum they promised).

      Shortly thereafter, I got seduced by the power of computers (back
      when we thought 8 bits was power) and started writing software to
      create video, graphics and animation to further my (and my friends)
      production ambitions. One thing led to another and in 1989 I took a
      big paycut (by then people were actually paying me to write
      software. Fools!) and I moved to Kansas to join NewTek and become
      part of the team that worked on the original Video Toaster (based on
      the "Amiga", it was the first "desktop video" tool).

      In 1994 we won an Emmy Award for developing the Video Toaster, but
      cooler than that, we were immortalized as cable access heros in the
      movie "Wayne's World" and Rolling Stone Magazine called us "the bad
      boys of video". Rolling Stone said this because at the time we were
      known for loudly proclaiming "F^@k the networks!!! People should be
      making their own video". We also went to NAB (the big tradeshow for
      TV broadcasters) and handed out a brochure that said in big, bold
      type on the front "Someday your favorite TV show will be made by you
      or someone you know". This didn't go over so well with the
      broadcasters (it also didn't make a lot of sense at the time since
      the Internet was virtually unknown). But hey, we had more passion
      than common sense.

      The next year I returned to California along with some other former
      Toaster-heads to co-found Play Incorporated where we created the
      Snappy Video Snapshot (over a million served!) and the Trinity Video
      Production System along with some other neat products like Gizmos,
      Amorphium, and Electric Image Universe. In 1999, after years of
      insanely hard work and brutally long hours, we were finally about to
      go public. A well-deserved reward that would finally elevate all of
      us from "credit risks" to financially secure, when my partner, co-
      founder and best friend died suddenly of a freak heart attack at the
      age of 39. The IPO was postponed, then the market crashed and I
      didn't really give a damn anyway. I went off to spend some time
      thinking about life, the universe and everything.

      Out of the ashes of this rather intense experience came Serious
      Magic, a company started to create video tools that work in unusual
      and different ways. Basically, our focus would be stuff that no one
      else was doing. At a time when everyone and their brother's cousin
      was creating timeline-based non-linear video editors (and doing
      pretty well at it), we decided we would work on creating tools that
      approached video creation in an alternative way (we also decided
      this because we'd done NLE's twice already and they were getting
      boring). The first result of this was called Visual Communicator. A
      strange integrated production tool that was based around a
      teleprompter interface, real-time 3D effects and an almost magical
      chroma keying algorithm. It created video without the need for
      editing. Because of the way it worked, it was perfect for narrative-
      style videos in ways that a traditional video editor could never be.
      It was also really fast and very easy. As with any new approach,
      there were trade-offs but VC 1.0 was unique and useful. Since there
      had never been anything like it, it got some people excited right
      away including the editors of PC Magazine who gave it 5 out of 5
      stars and went on to name it "Product of the Year" (as did six other
      national publications).

      Initially we launched at a consumer price point and with a consumer
      video creation marketing message. While we had some success with
      consumers, there was immediately a lot more interest coming from
      businesses wanting to create their own marketing, sales and training
      videos as well as schools wanting to use it for courseware,
      professional development and skills-based learning. As a self-funded
      boot-strap startup (which began life literally in my back bedroom),
      we were in no position to argue with enthusiastic (and paying)
      customers. So we began evolving the product, expanding it to meet
      the needs of these business and educational communicators (the vast
      majority of whom were not "video" people). Realizing that we were
      still ahead of the curve, we repositioned the product to suit the
      current customers pounding down our door (today nearly half the
      Fortune 500 use it, as do the state university systems in all 50
      states). At the same time, we still felt that the ultimate future of
      this tool lay in empowering "the masses" to communicate in the
      language of video. I still believed that "Someday your favorite TV
      show would be made by you or someone you know".

      So, we still thought a lot about vlogging. Internally, Karl Miller
      started creating a weekly vlog on our site, we registered
      the "vlog.com" name and we waited. Hopeful signs came. Visionary
      proto-vloggers like Jeff Jarvis were experimenting with Visual
      Communicator. Then last Spring Time Magazine did a write-up
      on "video blogging" which mentioned Visual Communicator. Right or
      wrong, we realized that it was time to throw caution to the wind and
      start morphing our successful "corporate" tool to see if it could
      finally "be all that it could be".

      This wasn't a small job. During the intervening two years, VC had
      expanded into a product line with three products. Lots of features
      had been added (multi-camera, live streaming, DVD output, etc.) and
      it had become more powerful than we'd initially imagined. At the
      same time, the product had grown away from its video blogging roots.
      It was too expensive (up to $700), too big (up to 3 full CDs) and
      too complex (lots of publishing options, PowerPoint import, etc). So
      we started working on a simplified, smaller footprint Visual
      Communicator.

      Which brings us to last week and the launch of Vlog It at CES. I'm
      happy to report that we got some great press at the show including
      being one of the small handful of products chosen to be featured on
      CNN. The Washington Post did a terrific write-up and more press is
      on the way. The crowds seemed genuinely interested, if a little
      puzzled at the thought of becoming "viewer / producers" instead of
      just "viewers". Is it still too early for a video blogging software
      tool to be commercially viable on a broad scale (or at least pay
      back its launch and marketing costs)? I don't know. Maybe. We're
      going to try our best to give it a great launch and hopefully get
      some attention and distribution. Being a small company, our best
      launch will still be a tiny flea in a hurricane compared to what a
      Microsoft or Adobe does daily. But to the degree we are successful,
      it will hopefully help add fuel to the already growing fire of the
      vlogging meme.

      About the only thing that I'm really sure of is that no one
      (including us) has yet figured out exactly what an ideal video
      blogging tool should ultimately be. It's going to be an evolutionary
      thing, which only makes sense, in light of vlogging itself still
      being invented on a daily basis (largely by the people in this
      group). I hope to learn from all of you by watching what you create
      and listening to your discussions here and perhaps occasionally
      contributing my own two cents about the technology and process of
      video creation.

      Sorry for the long ramble!

      Regards,

      --- Mark
    • Alia K
      Message 2 of 29 , Jan 12, 2005
        hi, very inspiring story of your projects, thanks for sharing it with us
        Kath

        --
        http://www.aliak.com
      • Joshua Kinberg
        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 12, 2005
          > "Someday your favorite TV show will be made by you or someone you know"

          I love this phrase!

          Looks like Vlog It is a good tool, but it seems like it may lead to
          very limited results -- a lot of videos that look the same. I tend to
          find that my favorite Videoblog posts are not the ones where someone
          talks directly into the camera (unless they do it in a really
          interesting way).

          Teleprompters don't seem to work well. When Andrew, Amanda, and I were
          first shooting Rocketboom, we used to tape strips of paper above and
          below the camera lens for Amanda to read as she looked into the
          camera. You could always see her reading and it made the whole thing
          come off really stiff. Now that she holds the paper in her hands
          during her delivery, it feels much more natural and comfortable.

          -Josh
        • Timothy J Mckinnon
          Message 4 of 29 , Jan 12, 2005
            Do you pull rabbits out of yer hat too?

            regs
            TIMBO
            a puny man surrounded by cyber giants

            Message 5 of 29 , Jan 12, 2005
              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "arkrandall" <mark@s...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > I'm new to the group. My name is Mark Randall. I am chief magician
              > at Serious Magic, a small software company that specializes in
              > creating video tools that take a unique approach to video creation.
              > Regards,
              >
              > --- Mark

              No way! I can't believe you are on this group, Mark. :-D

              I was at the Streaming Media, Inc. conference/exhibition in Oct. 2003
              and visited and revisited your booth 5X to watch your demo and walked
              away with Visual Communicator because I couldn't pass it up - it was
              so fabulous! Too funny. Unfortunately, the webcam I bought to use
              with it won't jive - despite having a mini-direct show driver... and
              life got in the way... and I still don't have a proper camera (yet).
              Soon... very soon.

              Congrats on 'Vlog It' (the screenshot looks suspiciuosly identical to
              Visual Communicator, btw)... wow. How weird.

              So welcome...

              (Unfortunately, for me ppl - I've been away from 'home'/my
              software/et all since Dec. 21st and am stuck in a place with only
              dial up. Ugh... so haven't been able to do doodley with video
              blogging since... and cannot flee for another 10 days... so much for
              my free trial of blogware via Eric Rice and KSSX. boo hoo
              hoooooooooo).

              Courtney
            • MICA
              Message 6 of 29 , Jan 12, 2005
                Mark, cool!
                I remember hearing an interview with you all on NPR morning show about
                the Video Toaster when I was in high school! I can't believe that's
                still in my memory. Its theses little thing that you don't even
                realize influence you.

                On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 14:14:14 -0000, courtwms777 <courtwms777@...> wrote:

                > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "arkrandall" <mark@s...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi,
                > >
                > > I'm new to the group. My name is Mark Randall. I am chief magician
                > > at Serious Magic, a small software company that specializes in
                > > creating video tools that take a unique approach to video creation.
                > > Regards,
                > >
                > > --- Mark
                >
                > No way! I can't believe you are on this group, Mark. :-D
                >
                > I was at the Streaming Media, Inc. conference/exhibition in Oct. 2003
                > and visited and revisited your booth 5X to watch your demo and walked
                > away with Visual Communicator because I couldn't pass it up - it was
                > so fabulous! Too funny. Unfortunately, the webcam I bought to use
                > with it won't jive - despite having a mini-direct show driver... and
                > life got in the way... and I still don't have a proper camera (yet).
                > Soon... very soon.
                >
                > Congrats on 'Vlog It' (the screenshot looks suspiciuosly identical to
                > Visual Communicator, btw)... wow. How weird.
                >
                > So welcome...
                >
                > (Unfortunately, for me ppl - I've been away from 'home'/my
                > software/et all since Dec. 21st and am stuck in a place with only
                > dial up. Ugh... so haven't been able to do doodley with video
                > blogging since... and cannot flee for another 10 days... so much for
                > my free trial of blogware via Eric Rice and KSSX. boo hoo
                > hoooooooooo).
                >
                > Courtney

                Mica Scalin
                Hello?
                http://publicaddress.typepad.com
                http://www.micascalin.net
              • Shannon Noble
                Message 7 of 29 , Jan 12, 2005
                  Oh...yeah,

                  My first machine was an Amiga. Oye. I remember the New Tek booth at
                  some of the early computer conventions.....they always had that
                  spokesperson lady in the very short skirt with the shapely legs and
                  the booth would be crowded with men starring at her. She knew the
                  product well and could go on and on about it. Forget her name. I
                  couldn't afford the Toaster at the time.

                  Message 8 of 29 , Jan 12, 2005
                    >Is it still too early for a video blogging software
                    > tool to be commercially viable on a broad scale (or at least pay
                    > back its launch and marketing costs)?

                    there is no natural market for this stuff.
                    people have NEVER made their own TV...outsits imporatnt to create a
                    place where poepl can WATCH this stuff....
                    we need the stage first.

                    > About the only thing that I'm really sure of is that no one
                    > (including us) has yet figured out exactly what an ideal video
                    > blogging tool should ultimately be. It's going to be an evolutionary
                    > thing, which only makes sense, in light of vlogging itself still
                    > being invented on a daily basis (largely by the people in this
                    > group).

                    id like to see a videoblogging tool...that let me edit easily.
                    iMovie is almost perfect...but its just for Mac and its too much.
                    i want an all-in-one videoblogging tool.
                    edit--compress--post.
                    ediitng should let me move clips around, trim, them...maybe add a title.
                    compress is easy.
                    and i hit "post" and it goes directly to my blog.

                    i agree that just talking into the camera gets dull.
                    we want to encourage peopel to SHOW us their lives.

                    Jay
                  • Lisa Harper
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jan 12, 2005
                      Don't forget to add the part about cool features such as media
                      annotation and search, hotspots on video, smil generation, etc. :-)
                      Lisa
                      http://www.lisaharper.org

                      On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 11:04:58 -0500, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...> wrote:

                      > >Is it still too early for a video blogging software
                      > > tool to be commercially viable on a broad scale (or at least pay
                      > > back its launch and marketing costs)?
                      >
                      > there is no natural market for this stuff.
                      > people have NEVER made their own TV...outsits imporatnt to create a
                      > place where poepl can WATCH this stuff....
                      > we need the stage first.
                      >

                      > > About the only thing that I'm really sure of is that no one
                      > > (including us) has yet figured out exactly what an ideal video
                      > > blogging tool should ultimately be. It's going to be an evolutionary
                      > > thing, which only makes sense, in light of vlogging itself still
                      > > being invented on a daily basis (largely by the people in this
                      > > group).
                      >
                      > id like to see a videoblogging tool...that let me edit easily.
                      > iMovie is almost perfect...but its just for Mac and its too much.
                      > i want an all-in-one videoblogging tool.
                      > edit--compress--post.
                      > ediitng should let me move clips around, trim, them...maybe add a title.
                      > compress is easy.
                      > and i hit "post" and it goes directly to my blog.
                      >
                      > i agree that just talking into the camera gets dull.
                      > we want to encourage peopel to SHOW us their lives.

                      Lisa Harper
                      http://www.lisaharper.org
                    • Christopher Weagel
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jan 12, 2005
                        On Jan 12, 2005, at 5:36 AM, arkrandall wrote:

                        > I moved to Kansas to join NewTek and become
                        > part of the team that worked on the original Video Toaster (based on
                        > the "Amiga", it was the first "desktop video" tool).

                        How can I get the sheep transition? Possibly for Final Cut Pro?

                        Welcome to the group.

                        Chris Weagel
                      • Steve Garfield
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jan 12, 2005
                          Not know what you were talking about I did an inkernet search and found
                          some images of the sheep transition over here:

                          http://www.greatdv.com/post/transitions.htm

                          scroll down...

                          On Jan 12, 2005, at 11:39 AM, Christopher Weagel wrote:

                          > How can I get the sheep transition? Possibly for Final Cut Pro?
                          --------------------------------
                          Web Site:
                          http://stevegarfield.com
                          --------------------------------
                        • Shannon Noble
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jan 12, 2005
                            Oh yeah. I remember her name now. It was KiKi. She was famous.

                          • MICA
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jan 12, 2005
                              I want to play 'Kiki' in the movie.

                              On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 08:59:01 -0800, Shannon Noble <shannon.sn@...> wrote:

                              > Oh yeah. I remember her name now. It was KiKi. She was famous.
                              >

                              > On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 07:30:28 -0800, Shannon Noble <shannon.sn@...> wrote:
                              > > Oh...yeah,
                              > >
                              > > My first machine was an Amiga. Oye. I remember the New Tek booth at
                              > > some of the early computer conventions.....they always had that
                              > > spokesperson lady in the very short skirt with the shapely legs and
                              > > the booth would be crowded with men starring at her. She knew the
                              > > product well and could go on and on about it. Forget her name. I
                              > > couldn't afford the Toaster at the time.
                              > >

                              > > On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 09:45:07 -0500, MICA <contactmica@...> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > Mark, cool!
                              > > > I remember hearing an interview with you all on NPR morning show about
                              > > > the Video Toaster when I was in high school! I can't believe that's
                              > > > still in my memory. Its theses little thing that you don't even
                              > > > realize influence you.

                              > > > --
                              > > > Mica Scalin
                              > > > Hello?
                              > > > http://publicaddress.typepad.com
                              > > > http://www.micascalin.net

                              Mica Scalin
                              Hello?
                              http://publicaddress.typepad.com
                              http://www.micascalin.net
                            • Michael Sullivan
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jan 12, 2005
                                Hi Mark,
                                Good Luck with vlogIt.

                                >But to the degree we are successful, it will hopefully help add fuel
                                to the already growing >fire of the vlogging meme.

                                So, are you going to give away vlogit to the group to add fuel to the
                                fire? =) kidding.

                                On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 10:36:20 -0000, arkrandall <mark@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                > some attention and distribution. Being a small company, our best
                                > launch will still be a tiny flea in a hurricane compared to what a
                                > Microsoft or Adobe does daily. But to the degree we are successful,
                                > it will hopefully help add fuel to the already growing fire of the
                                > vlogging meme.
                                >
                                > About the only thing that I'm really sure of is that no one
                                > (including us) has yet figured out exactly what an ideal video
                                > blogging tool should ultimately be. It's going to be an evolutionary
                                > thing, which only makes sense, in light of vlogging itself still
                                > being invented on a daily basis (largely by the people in this
                                > group). I hope to learn from all of you by watching what you create
                                > and listening to your discussions here and perhaps occasionally
                                > contributing my own two cents about the technology and process of

                                ~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|
                                i n t e r d i g i t a t e . c o m
                                =====================
                              • Eric Rice
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jan 12, 2005
                                  --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "courtwms777" <courtwms777@y...> wrote:

                                  > (Unfortunately, for me ppl - I've been away from 'home'/my
                                  > software/et all since Dec. 21st and am stuck in a place with only
                                  > dial up. Ugh... so haven't been able to do doodley with video
                                  > blogging since... and cannot flee for another 10 days... so much for
                                  > my free trial of blogware via Eric Rice and KSSX. boo hoo
                                  > hoooooooooo).

                                  Bah, don't worry. I'll make sure my videoblogging peeps are takin care of.

                                  -ER
                                • Shannon Noble
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jan 12, 2005
                                    Mica, you would be most perfect for the part! (There's a vlog here somewhere).

                                    I did a little web search and KiKi moved on to bigger and better things:

                                    http://www.warp11.com/kiki.htm

                                    Yep. That's her.

                                    http://www.patswayne.com/kiki/

                                    .s

                                    On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 12:03:17 -0500, MICA <contactmica@...> wrote:

                                    > I want to play 'Kiki' in the movie.
                                    >

                                    > On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 08:59:01 -0800, Shannon Noble <shannon.sn@...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Oh yeah. I remember her name now. It was KiKi. She was famous.
                                    > >

                                    > > On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 07:30:28 -0800, Shannon Noble <shannon.sn@...> wrote:
                                    > > > Oh...yeah,
                                    > > >
                                    > > > My first machine was an Amiga. Oye. I remember the New Tek booth at
                                    > > > some of the early computer conventions.....they always had that
                                    > > > spokesperson lady in the very short skirt with the shapely legs and
                                    > > > the booth would be crowded with men starring at her. She knew the
                                    > > > product well and could go on and on about it. Forget her name. I
                                    > > > couldn't afford the Toaster at the time.

                                    > Mica Scalin
                                    > Hello?
                                    > http://publicaddress.typepad.com
                                    > http://www.micascalin.net

                                  • Steve Watkins
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jan 12, 2005
                                      Back doing stuff for Newtek too, video on this site:

                                      http://www.newtek.com/shows/siggraph/2004/

                                      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Shannon Noble <shannon.sn@g...>

                                    • ryan
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jan 12, 2005
                                        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "arkrandall" <mark@s...> wrote:

                                        > Hi,
                                        >
                                        > I'm new to the group. My name is Mark Randall.

                                        um excuse me
                                        but did you say that you helped develop or worked for the people who developed
                                        THE VIDEO TOASTER???

                                        chris weagel and i are trying to find video toaster transitions for Final Cut Pro
                                        or hell
                                        a Video Toaster itself.

                                        i want that kiki cartwheel transition
                                        and the falling sheep
                                        and the gooey liquid
                                        and the glass breaking....
                                        so much good stuff!
                                        i want it all.
                                      • Shannon Noble
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jan 12, 2005
                                          Whoa....that's some heavy geek material you're talking there. I'd
                                          settle for just hearing KiKi sing "Kirk Gets Laid Again" on the "Suck
                                          My Spock" album.

                                          http://www.warp11.com/suckspock.htm

                                          On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 00:52:24 -0000, ryan <ryan_hodson@...> wrote:

                                          > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "arkrandall" <mark@s...> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > Hi,
                                          > >
                                          > > I'm new to the group. My name is Mark Randall.
                                          >
                                          > um excuse me
                                          > but did you say that you helped develop or worked for the people who developed
                                          > THE VIDEO TOASTER???
                                          >
                                          > chris weagel and i are trying to find video toaster transitions for Final Cut Pro
                                          > or hell
                                          > a Video Toaster itself.
                                          >
                                          > i want that kiki cartwheel transition
                                          > and the falling sheep
                                          > and the gooey liquid
                                          > and the glass breaking....
                                          > so much good stuff!
                                          > i want it all.
                                          >

                                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                        • arkrandall
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jan 12, 2005
                                            Ryan,

                                            You can probably pick up an original Toaster on EBay. NewTek also
                                            sells the new PC-based Toaster which is at version 3. I don't know
                                            if it still has the Kiki effects from the Amiga version in it.

                                            --- Mark

                                            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "ryan" <ryan_hodson@y...>
                                            wrote:

                                            > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "arkrandall" <mark@s...>
                                            wrote:

                                            > > Hi,
                                            > >
                                            > > I'm new to the group. My name is Mark Randall.
                                            >
                                            > um excuse me
                                            > but did you say that you helped develop or worked for the people
                                            who developed
                                            > THE VIDEO TOASTER???
                                            >
                                            > chris weagel and i are trying to find video toaster transitions
                                            for Final Cut Pro
                                            > or hell
                                            > a Video Toaster itself.
                                            >
                                            > i want that kiki cartwheel transition
                                            > and the falling sheep
                                            > and the gooey liquid
                                            > and the glass breaking....
                                            > so much good stuff!
                                            > i want it all.
                                          • arkrandall
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jan 13, 2005
                                              Josh,

                                              Thanks, glad you like what you see in the tool. I don't think it
                                              will lead to limited results. The creation paradigm in Vlog It (and
                                              Visual Communicator) won't be a limit, we actually hope it's merely
                                              a starting place. Using the teleprompter, chroma key, effects,
                                              titles and over-the-shoulder / dual box inserts is not mandatory.
                                              The narrator doesn't ever need to appear on camera and there doesn't
                                              even need to be a narrator. Whether you use these tools or not, it's
                                              nice to have them available in your toolbox.

                                              I know that my view is different from that held by many folks who
                                              are wildly creative and successful vloggers. While I don't dispute
                                              the great things done by others, I still think that in much the same
                                              way that teachers of art and music encourage students to learn to
                                              master the "classical" techniques before branching out into new
                                              territory, I think it may be a good thing to encourage the new
                                              vloggers who will come after us, to at least sample the "classical"
                                              style.

                                              What is this "classical" style? Well, I'll conceed that it's hubris
                                              for me to posit a 'classical' style for something so new that hasn't
                                              even been clearly defined yet. But I'm prone to spout some fairly
                                              extreme views sometimes (not that I always believe them 100% myself
                                              but it is a good way to explore the range of options). For example,
                                              I think that the very first "cro-magnon vloggers" were actually
                                              Edward Murrow and his contemporaries (the first newscasters in the
                                              1940's). They were creating a new form by weaving multi-media
                                              together with a narrative structure provided by a news anchor (who
                                              was literally the "anchor" point of the narrative). The anchor
                                              provided context to the different multi-media elements including
                                              video clips.

                                              Shortly after the great god Philo (and the usurpers at RCA),
                                              breathed life into television, for several years the first TV shows
                                              were largely TV cameras pointed at existing radio shows. Of course,
                                              we can all agree that this was pretty silly. But the first TV
                                              broadcasters didn't have much else to model on, so they modeled on
                                              radio (I think the "news reels" shown in theaters since the twenties
                                              were also an influence but early TV broadcasters didn't have the
                                              necessary portability and editing capability yet in their new
                                              medium). Some might say that modeling on the previous media was a
                                              waste of time, however I'd argue that in fact it was a necessary
                                              first step.

                                              Today the "newscast" structure has evolved into a wide range of
                                              forms including Tom Brokaw's Evening News, Jon Stewart's Daily Show,
                                              the sophmoric "Man Show", Dennis Miller's inspired rants and sub-
                                              genre's such as "news magazines" like 60 Minutes and 20/20. There's
                                              more variety in that list than I typically see between text blogs I
                                              visit (which look largely, almost identical to each other in both
                                              format and strucure).

                                              One of the things I used to have to do when I started out in local
                                              television (as low flunky on the totem pole) was give tours of the
                                              TV station to school kids on field trips. I actually found this to
                                              be a lot of fun. I used to explain that there were two places inside
                                              a TV station where we created video - the edit suites and the news
                                              studio. The processes in each were very different. In the edit
                                              suites (analogous to today's Premiere / iMovie timeline-based post-
                                              production paradigm) we follow a model where we shoot, digitize,
                                              log, edit, add effects, render and print to tape. On average it
                                              would take about an hour in the edit suite for each polished minute
                                              of finished TV. In the newsroom, we'd spend a couple of hours
                                              preparing the show rundown and then we'd make thirty minutes of
                                              polished TV programming - in about thirty minutes. It was live and
                                              immediate. Vlog It and VC were the first tools for desktop computers
                                              modeled on this alternate approach to video creation. As you might
                                              expect, each approach (post production vs. live-style production),
                                              has its own advantages and disadvantages.

                                              Today, if I were tasked with getting a class of 8th graders excited
                                              about making their own TV shows, I'd head down to the TV station and
                                              take them to the newsroom, not the edit suites. It's more fun, you
                                              can start immediately and it's actually a much easier way for a
                                              novice to get started and get a decent result in a short time.

                                              Bottom line is that there are many valid approaches. Using any of
                                              the forms losely based on the "anchor/narrative" style isn't a bad
                                              place to start.

                                              --- Mark

                                              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Joshua Kinberg <jkinberg@g...>

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Jan 13, 2005
                                                > I think that the very first "cro-magnon vloggers" were actually
                                                > Edward Murrow and his contemporaries (the first newscasters in the
                                                > 1940's). They were creating a new form by weaving multi-media
                                                > together with a narrative structure provided by a news anchor (who
                                                > was literally the "anchor" point of the narrative). The anchor
                                                > provided context to the different multi-media elements including
                                                > video clips.

                                                i cut my teeth is the dungeon's of local news.
                                                so yeah...an anchor is like the storyteller of the news.
                                                but does Vlog it allow you to add clips?
                                                can I do roll-ins?

                                                no one is ripping on the tool....just letting you know what we would
                                                like to see.
                                                there are several tools availblenow
                                                ...userplane...audioblog.com...that have flash-based webcam capture
                                                capability.
                                                You look into the webcam...hit record..talk..and post to your blog.

                                                your chroma key is function is cool...and telepromopter an option.
                                                but can people mix life theyve shot out in the field?

                                                Jay
                                              • Adam Quirk
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Jan 13, 2005
                                                  Well said. So much of the discussion in this group leans towards the
                                                  technical/editing/compression side of videoblogging that sometimes I
                                                  forget that most people don't want to hear any of that. And in fact,
                                                  most people would HATE to hear any of that because it sounds like
                                                  Plutonian. So good job in taking a step towards removing it from the
                                                  equation.

                                                  Early TV was just a guy reading radio, but vlogging isn't necessarily
                                                  a person reading text posts. One of the differences with vlogging is
                                                  the back-and-forth communication you get from the blog format. See
                                                  recent vlog-conversation about religion (No Answers at
                                                  http://tinyurl.com/3uxtb). That could have easily happened in an
                                                  email group, IM, or phone conversation, but it wouldn't be nearly as
                                                  fun or inclusive to the public.

                                                  I agree that most blogs (and videoblogs) are similar in their visual
                                                  presentation, which is just a function of the software. Bloggers
                                                  sacrifice ease-of-use for homogenous design.

                                                  -Adam Quirk
                                                  bullemhead.com
                                                  (going to redesign his site soon to look less bloggy)

                                                  On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 09:24:30 -0000, arkrandall <mark@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                                  > >
                                                  > > I love this phrase!
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Looks like Vlog It is a good tool, but it seems like it may lead to
                                                  > > very limited results -- a lot of videos that look the same. I tend
                                                  > > find that my favorite Videoblog posts are not the ones where
                                                  > someone
                                                  > > talks directly into the camera (unless they do it in a really
                                                  > > interesting way).
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Teleprompters don't seem to work well. When Andrew, Amanda, and I
                                                  > were
                                                  > > first shooting Rocketboom, we used to tape strips of paper above
                                                  > and
                                                  > > below the camera lens for Amanda to read as she looked into the
                                                  > > camera. You could always see her reading and it made the whole
                                                  > thing
                                                  > > come off really stiff. Now that she holds the paper in her hands
                                                  > > during her delivery, it feels much more natural and comfortable.

                                                • arkrandall
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Jan 13, 2005
                                                    > Early TV was just a guy reading radio, but vlogging isn't
                                                    necessarily
                                                    > a person reading text posts. One of the differences with vlogging
                                                    is
                                                    > the back-and-forth communication you get from the blog format. See
                                                    > recent vlog-conversation about religion (No Answers at
                                                    > http://tinyurl.com/3uxtb). That could have easily happened in an
                                                    > email group, IM, or phone conversation, but it wouldn't be nearly as
                                                    > fun or inclusive to the public.

                                                    Totally agreed Adam. The "format" (such as 'newscast') is just a
                                                    starting place for the initial outbound communication. Then the
                                                    converstation continues using the interesting interactive video and
                                                    text tools that are now evolving around vlogging.

                                                    > I agree that most blogs (and videoblogs) are similar in their visual
                                                    > presentation, which is just a function of the software. Bloggers
                                                    > sacrifice ease-of-use for homogenous design.
                                                    >
                                                    > -Adam Quirk

                                                    Yes, but 'homogenous design' isn't necessarily a bad thing. A lot of
                                                    these formats have evolved over many years for good reason. Using
                                                    print media as an analogy, the L.A. Times looks a lot like the New
                                                    York Times both in format, style and structure. Individual newspapers
                                                    can represent very different views though. I'm not saying that old
                                                    formats they can't be improved on, but neither should they be quickly
                                                    discarded.

                                                    --- Mark
                                                  • arkrandall
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Jan 13, 2005
                                                      > i cut my teeth is the dungeon's of local news.
                                                      > so yeah...an anchor is like the storyteller of the news.
                                                      > but does Vlog it allow you to add clips?
                                                      > can I do roll-ins?

                                                      Yes, in fact it's entirely designed to mix media with live camera
                                                      and/or narration. You add clips by simply dragging and dropping. And
                                                      not only clips - stills & graphics in a variety of formats (which are
                                                      automatically scaled to fit) and sounds (MP3s, WAVs, WMAs).

                                                      As for the TV business, one of the guys I used to work with had a
                                                      paraphrased Hunter S. Thompson quote up in his cubicle which you may
                                                      appreciate, "The broadcast television business is a cruel and shallow
                                                      money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run
                                                      free, and good men die like dogs."

                                                      > your chroma key is function is cool...and telepromopter an option.
                                                      > but can people mix life theyve shot out in the field?

                                                      Yes, you can even take your laptop in the field and record directly
                                                      into Vlog It with your camera. NewsPlex, the center started at the
                                                      University of South Carolina by a coalition of international media
                                                      organizations has built what they call "NewsGear", essentially a
                                                      newsroom in a backpack for "guerilla journalists" to use in the field
                                                      (which for them includes 'hot' war zones). They based it around
                                                      Visual Communicator. The fact that they invested $2 million in
                                                      creating a center to study all this is interesting because even
                                                      traditional media outlets are starting to understand that they have
                                                      to change. (you can read more about NewsPlex here:
                                                      http://www.jdlasica.com/articles/OJR-newsgear.html)

                                                      --- Mark
                                                    • arkrandall
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Jan 13, 2005
                                                        Thanks Courtney, I'm glad to be here and looking forward to
                                                        contributing to the conversation however I can. I'm also glad to
                                                        answer any questions you may have about VC but I don't want to
                                                        distract the group with too much product talk, so feel free to email
                                                        me directly.

                                                        --- Mark

                                                        <courtwms777@y...> wrote:

                                                        > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "arkrandall" <mark@s...>
                                                        wrote:

                                                        > > Hi,
                                                        > >
                                                        > > I'm new to the group. My name is Mark Randall. I am chief
                                                        magician
                                                        > > at Serious Magic, a small software company that specializes in
                                                        > > creating video tools that take a unique approach to video
                                                        creation.
                                                        > > Regards,
                                                        > >
                                                        > > --- Mark
                                                        >
                                                        > No way! I can't believe you are on this group, Mark. :-D
                                                        >
                                                        > I was at the Streaming Media, Inc. conference/exhibition in Oct.
                                                        2003
                                                        > and visited and revisited your booth 5X to watch your demo and
                                                        walked
                                                        > away with Visual Communicator because I couldn't pass it up - it
                                                        was
                                                        > so fabulous! Too funny. Unfortunately, the webcam I bought to use
                                                        > with it won't jive - despite having a mini-direct show driver...
                                                        and
                                                        > life got in the way... and I still don't have a proper camera
                                                        (yet).
                                                        > Soon... very soon.
                                                        >
                                                        > Congrats on 'Vlog It' (the screenshot looks suspiciuosly identical
                                                        > Visual Communicator, btw)... wow. How weird.
                                                        >
                                                        > So welcome...
                                                        >
                                                        > (Unfortunately, for me ppl - I've been away from 'home'/my
                                                        > software/et all since Dec. 21st and am stuck in a place with only
                                                        > dial up. Ugh... so haven't been able to do doodley with video
                                                        > blogging since... and cannot flee for another 10 days... so much
                                                        for
                                                        > my free trial of blogware via Eric Rice and KSSX. boo hoo
                                                        > hoooooooooo).
                                                        >
                                                        > Courtney
                                                      • jjcyd
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Jun 1, 2005
                                                          Hi,
                                                          I am,too,new to videoblog.
                                                          After I helped my 114 EFL students set up their 360 weblog,some
                                                          showed interest in videoblog.My students,by the way,come online to
                                                          practise English and so far they have made epals/penpals from almost
                                                          30 countries.
                                                          Is this videoblog educational?
                                                          Regards,
                                                          Yaodong

                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Jun 2, 2005
                                                            > I am,too,new to videoblog.
                                                            > After I helped my 114 EFL students set up their 360 weblog,some
                                                            > showed interest in videoblog.My students,by the way,come online to
                                                            > practise English and so far they have made epals/penpals from almost
                                                            > 30 countries.
                                                            > Is this videoblog educational?

                                                            hey Yaodong--

                                                            welcome to the group.
                                                            some videoblogs are educational.
                                                            it depends on what you want to learn.

                                                            But to learn english, i think watching and making videoblogs is perfect.
                                                            can you and your students post some videos?
                                                            http://freevlog.org
                                                            I will answer you in video if you do.

                                                            Jay
                                                          • Josh Leo
                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Jun 2, 2005
                                                              Yaodong,

                                                              I work for an organization that makes radio-programs that are broadcast all around the world to help people improve their knowledge of English. We use a special method that helps people understand the programs better. (we use a smaller vocabulary and speak at a slower pace) so if you or your students are interested in improving your knowledge of the english language, then you can visit our website at www.spotlightradio.net and listen to some of the programs and reqad the scripts. If you have any other questions you can e-mail me.

                                                              --
                                                              Josh Leo

                                                              www.joshleo.com