SFGATE: Video bloggers claim spotlight

  • Steve Garfield
    Message 1 of 14 , May 1, 2006
      Video bloggers claim spotlight
      Online diaries looking a lot like television
      Ellen Lee, Chronicle Staff Writer
      Monday, May 1, 2006

      http://tinyurl.com/fxwqy

      or

      http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/05/01/
      BUGK7IHGO81.DTL

      This is an excellent article about videoblogging. Ellen Lee, of the San
      Francisco Chronicle, presents an accruate view of how some
      videobloggers use vlogging to capture fleeting moments of life.

      It's unfortunate that the headline writer totally missed the point of
      the article by writing, "Online diaries looking a lot like television."

      The whole point of the article is that most of the video blogs
      highlighted in the story are not like televison at all.

      --Steve
      --
      http://SteveGarfield.com - Fighting the good fight
      http://Rocketboom.com - Correspondent
      Message 2 of 14 , May 1, 2006
        What a right-on article. Glad to see Susan get some attention, as she
        has been putting so much time and soul into her vlog.

        The headline is deceptive---Unfortunately the person who writes the
        headline usually isn't the one who writes the story.

        Still, even with the lame headline, this is one of the better articles
        I've read on vlogging.

        Message 3 of 14 , May 1, 2006
          Should the newspapers employ headline writers with better reading
          comprehension skills?

          Message 4 of 14 , May 1, 2006
            Yeah, they should. I just wrote them an email to that effect. We'll
            see if they print it.

            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Steve Garfield <steve@...> wrote:

            > Should the newspapers employ headline writers with better reading
            > comprehension skills?
            >
            > On May 1, 2006, at 9:35 AM, jonny goldstein wrote:
            >
            > > The headline is deceptive---Unfortunately the person who writes the
            > > headline usually isn't the one who writes the story.
            >
            > --Steve
            > --
            > http://SteveGarfield.com - Fighting the good fight
            > http://Rocketboom.com - Correspondent
            > http://hipcast.com (formerly audioblog) - Community Manager

          • Sean Gilligan
            Message 5 of 14 , May 1, 2006
              Steve,

              Go easy on the poor headline writers, their job is getting tougher all the time:

              http://tinyurl.com/s3djt

              -- Sean

              Message 6 of 14 , May 1, 2006
                If they print your email it'll probably have a headline like one of
                these:

                - East/West Feud Over Language Develops
                - Twinkie Loving New Yorker Berates San Francisco
                - Videoblogs to supplant Newspapers

                And that's if they do it right.

                On May 1, 2006, at 10:03 AM, jonny goldstein wrote:

                > Yeah, they should. I just wrote them an email to that effect. We'll
                > see if they print it.
                >

                > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Steve Garfield <steve@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> Should the newspapers employ headline writers with better reading
                >> comprehension skills?

                --Steve
                --
                http://SteveGarfield.com - Fighting the good fight
                http://Rocketboom.com - Correspondent
                http://hipcast.com (formerly audioblog) - Community Manager
              • Ted Tagami
                Message 7 of 14 , May 1, 2006
                  Overall, I'd say a very good article! Congratulations!

                  Monday, May 1, 2006

                  http://tinyurl.com/fxwqy

                  or

                  http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/05/01/
                  BUGK7IHGO81.DTL

                  This is an excellent article about videoblogging. Ellen Lee, of the San
                  Francisco Chronicle, presents an accruate view of how some
                  videobloggers use vlogging to capture fleeting moments of life.

                  It's unfortunate that the headline writer totally missed the point of
                  the article by writing, "Online diaries looking a lot like television."

                  The whole point of the article is that most of the video blogs
                  highlighted in the story are not like televison at all.

                  --Steve
                  --
                  http://SteveGarfield.com - Fighting the good fight
                  http://Rocketboom.com - Correspondent
                  http://hipcast.com (formerly audioblog)  - Community Manager

                  Fireant Individual Typepad
                  Use

                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                  --
                  Ted Tagami
                  Founding Partner

                  U N I V E R S U S . N E T
                  Video Bloggers Podcasting
                  Vloggercon.com - San Francisco
                  June 10th and 11th, 2006
                • Andreas Haugstrup
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 1, 2006
                    On Mon, 01 May 2006 16:26:33 +0200, Ted Tagami <digitalbuddha@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Overall, I'd say a very good article! Congratulations!

                    Not to forget a fantastic photo:

                    --
                    Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen

                      Message 10 of 14 , May 1, 2006
                        Excellent piece, Sean - thanks for the heads up. How technology affects the media in tangible ways... Sigh.

                        Jan

                        Message 11 of 14 , May 1, 2006
                          It's hard not to feel strongly both ways on that issue.  We all want things to be indexed nicely, but loosing the witty headlines we've all come to know and love/hate ... hmm

                          -- Sean

                          Message 12 of 14 , May 1, 2006
                            its good primarily because of it tries more so than other articles to say that "The community is diverse." and they quote jay a lot and he sais it well.

                            i think this, however, can be misleading:

                            In less than two years, the number of video blogs, also known as vlogs and video podcasts, has exploded from a handful to more than 7,000, according to video blogging directory Mefeedia.

                            This is where everything gets meshed into one. feeds and vlogs.  not sure if its good to do that but i usppose no harm really.

                            sull

                            Monday, May 1, 2006

                            http://tinyurl.com/fxwqy

                                 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                            --
                            Sull
                            http://vlogdir.com
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 1, 2006
                              7,029 on Mefeedia [http://mefeedia.com/feeds%5d
                              912 on VlogMap [http://community.vlogmap.org/region%5d

                              12.97% mapped? Who/where are the others?

                              - Matt

                              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Sullivan"
                              <sulleleven@...> wrote:

                              > its good primarily because of it tries more so than other articles
                              to say
                              > that "The community is diverse." and they quote jay a lot and he sais it
                              > well.
                              >
                              > i think this, however, can be misleading:
                              >
                              > In less than two years, the number of video blogs, also known as
                              vlogs and
                              > > video podcasts, has exploded from a handful to more than 7,000,
                              according to
                              > > video blogging directory Mefeedia.
                              >

                              > This is where everything gets meshed into one. feeds and vlogs. not
                              sure if
                              > its good to do that but i usppose no harm really.
                              >
                              > sull
                              >

                              > On 5/1/06, Steve Garfield <steve@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Video bloggers claim spotlight
                              > > Online diaries looking a lot like television
                              > > Ellen Lee, Chronicle Staff Writer
                              > > Monday, May 1, 2006
                              > >
                              > > http://tinyurl.com/fxwqy
                              > >
                              > > or
                              > >
                              > > http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/05/01/
                              > > BUGK7IHGO81.DTL
                              > >
                              > > This is an excellent article about videoblogging. Ellen Lee, of
                              the San
                              > > Francisco Chronicle, presents an accruate view of how some
                              > > videobloggers use vlogging to capture fleeting moments of life.
                              > >
                              > > It's unfortunate that the headline writer totally missed the point of
                              > > the article by writing, "Online diaries looking a lot like
                              television."

                              > > The whole point of the article is that most of the video blogs
                              > > highlighted in the story are not like televison at all.
                              > >

                              > > --Steve
                              > > --
                              > > http://SteveGarfield.com - Fighting the good fight
                              > > http://Rocketboom.com - Correspondent
                              > > http://hipcast.com (formerly audioblog) - Community Manager

                              > Sull
                              > http://vlogdir.com
                              > http://SpreadTheMedia.org

                            • Michael Sullivan
                              Message 14 of 14 , May 1, 2006
                                i term them, orphaned feeds and meta feeds.... rss feeds generated from social networks and hosting services.... most of which do not actually have a parent (vlog).

                                this is why i have always been vocal about the difference between vlogs and feeds/vodcasts/video podcasts etc.

                                mefeedia's wording on the site is contradictive in that the directory clearly is labeled 'feeds' but the 'count' uses the term 'videoblogs'.  since their are so many feeds in mefeedia from sites like vsocial, vimeo and blip.... mefeedia has a much larger # than you.... and my directory too.

                                sull

                                <sulleleven@...> wrote:

                                > its good primarily because of it tries more so than other articles
                                to say
                                > that "The community is diverse." and they quote jay a lot and he sais it
                                > well.
                                >
                                > i think this, however, can be misleading:
                                >
                                > In less than two years, the number of video blogs, also known as
                                vlogs and
                                > > video podcasts, has exploded from a handful to more than 7,000,
                                according to
                                > > video blogging directory Mefeedia.
                                >

                                > This is where everything gets meshed into one. feeds and vlogs.  not
                                sure if
                                > its good to do that but i usppose no harm really.
                                >
                                > sull
                                >

                                > On 5/1/06, Steve Garfield <steve@...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Video bloggers claim spotlight
                                > > Online diaries looking a lot like television
                                > > Ellen Lee, Chronicle Staff Writer
                                > > Monday, May 1, 2006
                                > >
                                > > http://tinyurl.com/fxwqy
                                > >
                                > > or
                                > >
                                > > http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/05/01/
                                > > BUGK7IHGO81.DTL
                                > >
                                > > This is an excellent article about videoblogging. Ellen Lee, of
                                the San
                                > > Francisco Chronicle, presents an accruate view of how some
                                > > videobloggers use vlogging to capture fleeting moments of life.
                                > >
                                > > It's unfortunate that the headline writer totally missed the point of
                                > > the article by writing, "Online diaries looking a lot like
                                television."

                                > > The whole point of the article is that most of the video blogs
                                > > highlighted in the story are not like televison at all.
                                > >

                                > > --Steve
                                > > --
                                > > http://SteveGarfield.com - Fighting the good fight
                                > > http://Rocketboom.com - Correspondent