Re: big announcement

  • Andy Carvin
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 1, 2006
      I had a sneaky feeling you were screwing with us, particularly when I
      searched for mefeedia on Google News and Technorati and couldn't find
      any coverage of it. (btw, when I searched for it on Technorati, all
      the google ads on the page had to do with killing fire ants:

      * Tired of Fire Ants? Control fire ants in your lawn for one full
      year with one treatment. www.nofireants.com
      * Terminix - Fire Ant Terminix offers guaranteed pest control
      services for your home and business. Visit Terminix.com to learn about
      controlling various pests. Safeguard your home - schedule a free
      evaluation. www.terminix.com
      * Fire Ant Killer Bait Wipe out ants safely and completely in 3
      days. It is safe to human, animals and poultry. This pest control
      product comes with risk-free, 100% money-back guarantee.
      www.firstpestcontrol.com

      Not exactly fireANT, are they? Got a nice laugh out of that.

      andy carvin
      www.andycarvin.com

      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Van Dijck"
      <petervandijck@...> wrote:

      > OK I told myself the first person who mentiones the date - that's when
      > I fess up.
      >
      > April's fool. Mefeedia hasn't been acquired by anyone.
      >
      > I laughed a lot though. Quite a few people sent me private
      > congratulatory emails, and were really surprised when I told them the
      > truth.
      >
      > Back to the usual programming!
      > Peter
      > --
      > http://mefeedia.com
      >
      > On 4/1/06, André Sala <andrensala@...> wrote:
      > > Congrats! Hope this isn't related to today being April Fools
      though... :)

      > > On 4/1/06, Peter Van Dijck <petervandijck@... > wrote:
      > > >
      > > I have wanted to tell people this for a long time, but I wasn't
      > > allowed to. So sorry to a bunch of you who should have known this,
      > > sorry for having to keep you in the dark.
      > >
      > > I received an offer I couldn't refuse from Yahoo to buy Mefeedia.
      > >
      > > I'm sure you all will have lots of questions (sellout?), and I'll talk
      > > more about this in time, but I just wanted to get this out there. I
      > > am very excited, particularly because my new boss is Lucas Gonze (from
      > > Webjay fame). So there we go! Lots of exciting future plans.
      > >
      > > Just let me assure everyone: in my discussions, I emphasized the
      > > importance of a good directory that is focused on *videobloggers*, and
      > > Lucas is totally with that.
      > >
      > > Cheers,
      > > Peter
      > > --
      > > http://mefeedia.com
      > >
      > > ps: yes, this is also the reason behind the recent speed improvements.
      > > We still haven't moved the entire infrastructure (the thumbs
      > > particularly) to Yahoo infrastructure, but we should be there by
      > > Wednesday.

      > > ________________________________

    • Joshua Kinberg
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 1, 2006
        Yep, those ads show up on my Flickr page too.

        Anybody wanna donate some money to us so we can outbid the
        exterminators for the keywords?

        :-)

        -Josh

        http://FireAnt.tv

      • Michael Meiser
        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 1, 2006
          LOL! You mean videoblogging isn't a subset of pest control?

          One day I want to see a commercial parody of the now famous "cat
          hearders" commercial...

          Fireant, Vlogdir, Mefeedia, Blip, Ourmedia, place your company name
          here....

          We make wrangle yer' videos so you don't have to.

          Yeeehaa!

          Head em up! Move em out!

          LOL

          Also, I'm still sort of hoping at the end of the day I can write a
          blog post about all the companies Yahoo bought today. Nothing would
          please me more than to have gigantic list. Hint, Hint. ;)

          BTW, You do realize this is a common theme. Last year there were a
          number of them. If my memory serves me correctly among others I think
          it was Weblogs Inc. or Engadget who started a rumor that they got
          bought out by yahoo for April fools.

          I really enjoyed catching up on this thread.

          We need more yahoos on the web. Not Yahoo!, but the type of crazy
          yahoo's that make meta and media wranglin' startups. Aggregators, to
          search engines, to hosting companies, to open source vlogging
          platforms and plugins.

          Last time I guestimated there were no less that 30 or 40 video
          sharing services and yet there's still not enough of the right kind.
          I've completely lost track, but the important ones are the vlogorific
          ones, and there's only a small handful of those.

          Cheers to vlog services and above all to the vloggers who make it all
          that make it all worth while.

          -Mike

        • Casey McKinnon
          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 1, 2006
            I feel like such a fool...

            Casey

            <petervandijck@...> wrote:

            > So yes, it *is* an April's fools joke.
            >
            > Sorry!
            >
            > On 4/1/06, JADonnelly <videotv@...> wrote:
            > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Van Dijck"
            > > <petervandijck@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > CONGRATS PETER...
            > > Hopefully, this isn't an April Fools Joke? :)
            > >
            > > JDonnelly
            > > Dummycast.com
            > > Madpod.com
            > > Petsonboard.com
            > > TechY2.com
            > >

            > > > I have wanted to tell people this for a long time, but I wasn't
            > > > allowed to. So sorry to a bunch of you who should have known this,
            > > > sorry for having to keep you in the dark.
            > > >
            > > > I received an offer I couldn't refuse from Yahoo to buy Mefeedia.
            > > >
            > > > I'm sure you all will have lots of questions (sellout?), and
            I'll talk
            > > > more about this in time, but I just wanted to get this out there. I
            > > > am very excited, particularly because my new boss is Lucas Gonze
            (from
            > > > Webjay fame). So there we go! Lots of exciting future plans.
            > > >
            > > > Just let me assure everyone: in my discussions, I emphasized the
            > > > importance of a good directory that is focused on
            *videobloggers*, and
            > > > Lucas is totally with that.
            > > >
            > > > Cheers,
            > > > Peter
            > > > --
            > > > http://mefeedia.com
            > > >
            > > > ps: yes, this is also the reason behind the recent speed
            improvements.
            > > > We still haven't moved the entire infrastructure (the thumbs
            > > > particularly) to Yahoo infrastructure, but we should be there by
            > > > Wednesday.
            > > >

            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Michael Sullivan
            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 1, 2006
              truth is, Apple offered to buy me for a year and absorb vlogdir.
              not yahoo.  i'd prefer open yahoo over closed crApple!
              thats what i told them and that was the end of that.

              5 years ago on April 1st, i joined a company that was a subsidiary of Clear Channel.
              As it turned out, THAT was my Fools day.

              On 4/1/06, Peter Van Dijck <petervandijck@...> wrote:
              Vlogdir got bought by Yahoo! Yey!

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              --
              Sull
              http://vlogdir.com
              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 2, 2006
                Markus Sandy wrote:
                > Great news! Congrats you guys.
                > Working with Lucas. That's the icing on the cake if you ask me. That
                > sounds like fun.
                >
                > Man, I'm getting more impressed with Yahoo's thinking all the time.

                No kidding...

                I'm still waiting for the day Yahoo! offers to buy me.

                Pete

                --
                http://tinkernet.org/
                videoblog for the future...