Re: [videoblogging] big announcement

  • Michael Sullivan
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 1, 2006
      Ha!  Peter, I started to write the same exact message 2 days ago as a pre-April fools joke.
      i didnt send it though.

      On 4/1/06, Peter Van Dijck <petervandijck@...> wrote:
      OK I told myself the first person who mentiones the date - that's when
      I fess up.

      April's fool. Mefeedia hasn't been acquired by anyone.

      I laughed a lot though. Quite a few people sent me private
      congratulatory emails, and were really surprised when I told them the
      truth.

      Back to the usual programming!
      Peter
      --
      http://mefeedia.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      --
      Sull
      http://vlogdir.com
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 1, 2006
        Vlogdir got bought by Yahoo! Yey!

        On 4/1/06, Michael Sullivan <sulleleven@...> wrote:
        > Ha! Peter, I started to write the same exact message 2 days ago as a
        > pre-April fools joke.
        > i didnt send it though.
        >

        > On 4/1/06, Peter Van Dijck <petervandijck@...> wrote:
        > >
        > OK I told myself the first person who mentiones the date - that's when
        > I fess up.
        >
        > April's fool. Mefeedia hasn't been acquired by anyone.
        >
        > I laughed a lot though. Quite a few people sent me private
        > congratulatory emails, and were really surprised when I told them the
        > truth.
        >
        > Back to the usual programming!
        > Peter
        > --
        > http://mefeedia.com
        >
        > On 4/1/06, André Sala <andrensala@...> wrote:
        > > Congrats! Hope this isn't related to today being April Fools though...
        > :)
        > >

        > > On 4/1/06, Peter Van Dijck <petervandijck@... > wrote:
        > > >
        > > I have wanted to tell people this for a long time, but I wasn't
        > > allowed to. So sorry to a bunch of you who should have known this,
        > > sorry for having to keep you in the dark.
        > >
        > > I received an offer I couldn't refuse from Yahoo to buy Mefeedia.
        > >
        > > I'm sure you all will have lots of questions (sellout?), and I'll talk
        > > more about this in time, but I just wanted to get this out there. I
        > > am very excited, particularly because my new boss is Lucas Gonze (from
        > > Webjay fame). So there we go! Lots of exciting future plans.
        > >
        > > Just let me assure everyone: in my discussions, I emphasized the
        > > importance of a good directory that is focused on *videobloggers*, and
        > > Lucas is totally with that.
        > >
        > > Cheers,
        > > Peter
        > > --
        > > http://mefeedia.com
        > >
        > > ps: yes, this is also the reason behind the recent speed improvements.
        > > We still haven't moved the entire infrastructure (the thumbs
        > > particularly) to Yahoo infrastructure, but we should be there by
        > > Wednesday.

        > Sull
        > http://vlogdir.com
        > http://SpreadTheMedia.org

        > ________________________________

      • Andy Carvin
        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 1, 2006
          I had a sneaky feeling you were screwing with us, particularly when I
          searched for mefeedia on Google News and Technorati and couldn't find
          any coverage of it. (btw, when I searched for it on Technorati, all
          the google ads on the page had to do with killing fire ants:

          * Tired of Fire Ants? Control fire ants in your lawn for one full
          year with one treatment. www.nofireants.com
          * Terminix - Fire Ant Terminix offers guaranteed pest control
          services for your home and business. Visit Terminix.com to learn about
          controlling various pests. Safeguard your home - schedule a free
          evaluation. www.terminix.com
          * Fire Ant Killer Bait Wipe out ants safely and completely in 3
          days. It is safe to human, animals and poultry. This pest control
          product comes with risk-free, 100% money-back guarantee.
          www.firstpestcontrol.com

          Not exactly fireANT, are they? Got a nice laugh out of that.

          andy carvin
          www.andycarvin.com

          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Van Dijck"
          <petervandijck@...> wrote:

          > OK I told myself the first person who mentiones the date - that's when
          > I fess up.
          >
          > April's fool. Mefeedia hasn't been acquired by anyone.
          >
          > I laughed a lot though. Quite a few people sent me private
          > congratulatory emails, and were really surprised when I told them the
          > truth.
          >
          > Back to the usual programming!
          > Peter
          > --
          > http://mefeedia.com
          >
          > On 4/1/06, André Sala <andrensala@...> wrote:
          > > Congrats! Hope this isn't related to today being April Fools
          though... :)

          > > On 4/1/06, Peter Van Dijck <petervandijck@... > wrote:
          > > >
          > > I have wanted to tell people this for a long time, but I wasn't
          > > allowed to. So sorry to a bunch of you who should have known this,
          > > sorry for having to keep you in the dark.
          > >
          > > I received an offer I couldn't refuse from Yahoo to buy Mefeedia.
          > >
          > > I'm sure you all will have lots of questions (sellout?), and I'll talk
          > > more about this in time, but I just wanted to get this out there. I
          > > am very excited, particularly because my new boss is Lucas Gonze (from
          > > Webjay fame). So there we go! Lots of exciting future plans.
          > >
          > > Just let me assure everyone: in my discussions, I emphasized the
          > > importance of a good directory that is focused on *videobloggers*, and
          > > Lucas is totally with that.
          > >
          > > Cheers,
          > > Peter
          > > --
          > > http://mefeedia.com
          > >
          > > ps: yes, this is also the reason behind the recent speed improvements.
          > > We still haven't moved the entire infrastructure (the thumbs
          > > particularly) to Yahoo infrastructure, but we should be there by
          > > Wednesday.

          > > ________________________________

        • Joshua Kinberg
          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 1, 2006
            Yep, those ads show up on my Flickr page too.

            Anybody wanna donate some money to us so we can outbid the
            exterminators for the keywords?

            :-)

            -Josh

            http://FireAnt.tv

          • Michael Meiser
            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 1, 2006
              LOL! You mean videoblogging isn't a subset of pest control?

              One day I want to see a commercial parody of the now famous "cat
              hearders" commercial...

              Fireant, Vlogdir, Mefeedia, Blip, Ourmedia, place your company name
              here....

              We make wrangle yer' videos so you don't have to.

              Yeeehaa!

              Head em up! Move em out!

              LOL

              Also, I'm still sort of hoping at the end of the day I can write a
              blog post about all the companies Yahoo bought today. Nothing would
              please me more than to have gigantic list. Hint, Hint. ;)

              BTW, You do realize this is a common theme. Last year there were a
              number of them. If my memory serves me correctly among others I think
              it was Weblogs Inc. or Engadget who started a rumor that they got
              bought out by yahoo for April fools.

              I really enjoyed catching up on this thread.

              We need more yahoos on the web. Not Yahoo!, but the type of crazy
              yahoo's that make meta and media wranglin' startups. Aggregators, to
              search engines, to hosting companies, to open source vlogging
              platforms and plugins.

              Last time I guestimated there were no less that 30 or 40 video
              sharing services and yet there's still not enough of the right kind.
              I've completely lost track, but the important ones are the vlogorific
              ones, and there's only a small handful of those.

              Cheers to vlog services and above all to the vloggers who make it all
              that make it all worth while.

              -Mike

            • Casey McKinnon
              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 1, 2006
                I feel like such a fool...

                Casey

                <petervandijck@...> wrote:

                > So yes, it *is* an April's fools joke.
                >
                > Sorry!
                >
                > On 4/1/06, JADonnelly <videotv@...> wrote:
                > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Van Dijck"
                > > <petervandijck@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > CONGRATS PETER...
                > > Hopefully, this isn't an April Fools Joke? :)
                > >
                > > JDonnelly
                > > Dummycast.com
                > > Madpod.com
                > > Petsonboard.com
                > > TechY2.com
                > >

                > > > I have wanted to tell people this for a long time, but I wasn't
                > > > allowed to. So sorry to a bunch of you who should have known this,
                > > > sorry for having to keep you in the dark.
                > > >
                > > > I received an offer I couldn't refuse from Yahoo to buy Mefeedia.
                > > >
                > > > I'm sure you all will have lots of questions (sellout?), and
                I'll talk
                > > > more about this in time, but I just wanted to get this out there. I
                > > > am very excited, particularly because my new boss is Lucas Gonze
                (from
                > > > Webjay fame). So there we go! Lots of exciting future plans.
                > > >
                > > > Just let me assure everyone: in my discussions, I emphasized the
                > > > importance of a good directory that is focused on
                *videobloggers*, and
                > > > Lucas is totally with that.
                > > >
                > > > Cheers,
                > > > Peter
                > > > --
                > > > http://mefeedia.com
                > > >
                > > > ps: yes, this is also the reason behind the recent speed
                improvements.
                > > > We still haven't moved the entire infrastructure (the thumbs
                > > > particularly) to Yahoo infrastructure, but we should be there by
                > > > Wednesday.
                > > >

                > > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Michael Sullivan
                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 1, 2006
                  truth is, Apple offered to buy me for a year and absorb vlogdir.
                  not yahoo.  i'd prefer open yahoo over closed crApple!
                  thats what i told them and that was the end of that.

                  5 years ago on April 1st, i joined a company that was a subsidiary of Clear Channel.
                  As it turned out, THAT was my Fools day.

                • Pete Prodoehl
                  Message 8 of 24 , Apr 2, 2006
                    Markus Sandy wrote:
                    > Great news! Congrats you guys.
                    > Working with Lucas. That's the icing on the cake if you ask me. That
                    > sounds like fun.
                    >
                    > Man, I'm getting more impressed with Yahoo's thinking all the time.

                    No kidding...

                    I'm still waiting for the day Yahoo! offers to buy me.

                    Pete

                    --
                    http://tinkernet.org/
                    videoblog for the future...