  • andrew michael baron
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2006
      We are trying to figure out what would be the best angle to discuss
      at Vloggercon for our panel with Rocketboom and so I thought we
      should probably just ask what you think would be the most interesting
      or useful direction.

      At first we were considering a discussion about how the world is
      coming together over video online, though you know more than anyone
      about that already.

      We also thought it might be useful to discuss all kinds of business
      aspects, including contracts, deals, ways to consider monetizing or
      not, more ways to promote and distribute, business horror stories,
      etc. but I'm not sure if the majority of videobloggers would find
      that useful either.

      There is also the topic of "show" and "format", but again, I don't
      know if many people are interested in that.

      Over the past year, in other cases of panels, its been pretty easy to
      figure out because the audiences have been almost entirely out of the
      loop so whatever the thread of the conference was, we would just talk
      about our take on the matters.

      So here we are with all like-minded people and wondering what we
      could do to be the most helpful

      Any ideas?
    • Anne Walk
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2006
        hi Andrew,

        i think you should talk about issues that are important to you and to rocketboom. while many who post here regularly might not be interested in those topics, we do have a huge list of members and i'm sure many of them would be interested. also, there will be many at vloggercon who are not members of this group at all that would be interested in those topics.

        one of the nice things about a conference is that there are a variety of speakers and panels on a variety of topics. people can choose the ones that deal with issues they are interested in and not with those that don't.

        for myself, i'm interested in all aspects of online video - from the personal to the proffessional. From political documentaries and talk shows to heightening individual communications between distant friends and public journalizing, and from amateur "home movies" to experimental art pieces.

        I want to see a Vloggercon that encompasses possibility and encourages creative solutions.

        -Anne

        On 4/1/06, andrew michael baron <andrew@...> wrote:
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        --
        Anne Walk
        http://loadedpun.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2006
          Frankly, I think you should look at Rocketboom's success and ask
          yourself "why are we different? Why did we make it?"

          I, for one, would be fascinated at the answer. You're in a unique
          position, and therefore have a unique perspective to share.

          --Stephanie

          --
          Stephanie Bryant
          mortaine@...
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1, 2006
            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, andrew michael baron
            <andrew@...> wrote:
            > We also thought it might be useful to discuss all kinds of business
            > aspects, including contracts, deals, ways to consider monetizing or
            > not, more ways to promote and distribute, business horror stories,
            > etc. but I'm not sure if the majority of videobloggers would find
            > that useful either.

            I think hearing about your business experiences would be very valuable
            to many people, but it is also political. Although many of us see the
            medium as a possible career path, others think it's important to be a
            "struggling arteest". Of course, those people don't have to attend
            your panel... but I have a feeling you don't want to drive away your
            audience.

            Personally, I would like to see you discuss your business experiences.
            As a community we can learn from your successes/flops and figure out
            what works together. I think it would also be interesting to hear
            about any opportunities you may have turned down.

            Casey

            http://www.kitkast.com/
          • Enric
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 1, 2006
              I think 1) how to develop and decide on business deals and 2) possible
              future paths of distributed network media are topics of interest.

              -- Enric
              -======-
              http://www.cirne.com

              <andrew@...> wrote:

              > We are trying to figure out what would be the best angle to discuss
              > at Vloggercon for our panel with Rocketboom and so I thought we
              > should probably just ask what you think would be the most interesting
              > or useful direction.
              >
              > At first we were considering a discussion about how the world is
              > coming together over video online, though you know more than anyone
              > about that already.
              >
              > We also thought it might be useful to discuss all kinds of business
              > aspects, including contracts, deals, ways to consider monetizing or
              > not, more ways to promote and distribute, business horror stories,
              > etc. but I'm not sure if the majority of videobloggers would find
              > that useful either.
              >
              > There is also the topic of "show" and "format", but again, I don't
              > know if many people are interested in that.
              >
              > Over the past year, in other cases of panels, its been pretty easy to
              > figure out because the audiences have been almost entirely out of the
              > loop so whatever the thread of the conference was, we would just talk
              > about our take on the matters.
              >
              > So here we are with all like-minded people and wondering what we
              > could do to be the most helpful
              >
              > Any ideas?

            • Richard Show
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 2, 2006
                Andrew,

                To me, there are some very interesting/amazing things about RocketBoom

                1) The amount of viewers/downloads went from nothing to something comparable with pretty sucessful cable TV show in a year or less.
                2) It did this with almost none of the overhead associated with "normal" TV or Movies.
                3) It did this throgh a distribution channel very different from traditional TV and Video (the internet).
                4) Rocketboom has developed advertising methods very unlike things that have come before (having creative control over adds - auctioning on eBay)
                5) It appears that you have and are resisting temptations that must have occured to change your methodology to be more traditional.

                ... to me, the RocketBoom story is a really really interesting one, at least based on these outcomes, and, for me, I'm most interested in, how in the world did it get to be this way? how did you start? what do you do on a daily basis? what sorts of things are you considering in the future? how much was planned/vision, and how much was random? etc...

                ... the other thing is that, as I understand it, you grew up with this community - the Yahoo vlogging group - even today, you are sending a message to this list to ask us what we are interested in, and you guys still seem to keep up and contribute, despite all you have going ... Michael Verdi was telling me about how he used to edit for RocketBoom for a while at the beginning, and you would move his air matress on your apt floor to make room for the show ... I had not idea about those connections, for example ... what a story

                ... that's the sort of thing that interests me, the whole rocketboom story and; especially, how it grew and it related to our little community, and I think that would be interesting to our group, and the outside world as well ... anyway, my thoughts ... Richard

                --

                http://www.richardshow.com