Re: Video Interview Techniques: What Are Your Tips And Tricks?

  • Jack Olmsted
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2006

      Hey Bre,

      > What are the tricks and tips for a great video interview?

      When I  work with kids interviewing adults for 4-H Network News, I have the interviewee "feed" the young interviewer each question and shoot the q&a as seprate scenes.  There are times when a question is shot 6-8 times before it is said correctly.

      A couple of weeks ago we walked in cold to interview a spokesperson for the local Red Cross during a disaster training exercise . We used  a single spotlight clipped to a 6 foot light stand, a wireless hand held mike and a mono pod. The interview was edited together by the 13 year old interviewer in 20 minutes and presented to members of the Red Cross after their meeting. There are some ruff spots in the piece, but you can learn from the mistakes. Our next interviews in this vein will be better.

      If you do this type of interview, give yourself editing  "room" on the front and back of each scene.

      Shoot a couple of  "listening shots" of yourself and the interviewee....60 minutes style.

      Last weekend, we shot  "converational interviews" with local artists at an art gallery opening .  We used a tripod, the single 6 foot light stand with a 75 watt spotlight,  a wireless mike and edited the piece together with "flash transitions".  It is was just a 12 minute  stream of consciousness that was edited down to around 8 minutes.

      If you have time to prepare, write up a page of questions and go over the list with the interviewee before the shoot.

      Shoot B-Roll after the interview.

      -Jack
      4-H Network News
      http://4-hnews.blogspot.com

    • Andy Carvin
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2006
        Here are some of the basic ideas I try to teach students:

        Getting subject comfortable in front of camera. You generally don't
        want to start peppering them with questions the moment you meet them.
        get them situated in front of the camera and start rolling before you
        ask questions; just chat and let them get settled. This works well
        with sit-down interviews; if it's on the fly, of course, this doesn't
        really apply.

        Eye perspective. Have them either looking at the camera or just
        off-camera, but not both in the same interview. Off-camera is more common.

        Avoid too many people behind the camera. Not usually a problem for
        vloggers, but if you're working as a team, don't crowd around the
        interviewer. If there are several people hanging out behind the
        camera, the interviewee will make eye contact with all of them, which
        looks terrible on film. Just get them to look either at the
        interviewer or the camera, whichever you prefer.

        Have subject repeat question as statement. You want to make sure their
        answers convey the question. Compare these two responses:

        Bad response:
        Q: When did you start the band?
        A: In 2003.

        Good response:
        Q: When did you start the band?
        A: We started the band back in 2003...

        By having them incorporate the question into their answer, it'll make
        for better interview footage.

        andy carvin
        andycarvin@...

        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "pettisb" <pettisb@...> wrote:

        > Hey Folks,
        >
        > I have an interview gig coming up in two weeks and my normal strategy
        > is to just interview the person with my hand held sd300 and edit it
        > all together and then record an intro and outro before and after the
        > interview. This one has to be snazzier than that since I'm going to
        > get paid for it.
        >
        > I've got a lowel light set to bring with two softboxes and some 500
        > watt lights. I'm even bringing in someone else to point the camera and
        > push the red button. I'm getting my old fluid head tripod out of the
        > closet too!
        >
        > If you've had any experience with interviews, I'm curious about what's
        > worked for you and what tips and tricks you've picked up along the
        > way. What are the tricks and tips for a great video interview? What is
        > the best way to light an interview? What are the best shots to go for?
        > Are there any editing tricks that you would suggest? How much do you
        > move the camera around? What are your favorite cut shots?
        >
        > Thanks in advance for helping me improve my interviewing skills!
        >
        > Bre
        > http://imakethings.com
        > http://wearethemedia.com

      • Bre Pettis