Video Interview Techniques: What Are Your Tips And Tricks?

  • pettisb
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 31, 2006
      Hey Folks,

      I have an interview gig coming up in two weeks and my normal strategy
      is to just interview the person with my hand held sd300 and edit it
      all together and then record an intro and outro before and after the
      interview. This one has to be snazzier than that since I'm going to
      get paid for it.

      I've got a lowel light set to bring with two softboxes and some 500
      watt lights. I'm even bringing in someone else to point the camera and
      push the red button. I'm getting my old fluid head tripod out of the
      closet too!

      If you've had any experience with interviews, I'm curious about what's
      worked for you and what tips and tricks you've picked up along the
      way. What are the tricks and tips for a great video interview? What is
      the best way to light an interview? What are the best shots to go for?
      Are there any editing tricks that you would suggest? How much do you
      move the camera around? What are your favorite cut shots?

      Thanks in advance for helping me improve my interviewing skills!

      Bre
      http://imakethings.com
      http://wearethemedia.com
    • Steve Garfield
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 31, 2006
        Are you using the SD300?

        On Mar 31, 2006, at 7:01 PM, pettisb wrote:

        > interview the person with my hand held sd300

        --Steve
        --
        http://SteveGarfield.com
        http://Rocketboom.com

        My most recent post:

        VLOG SOUP: Episode 12
        <http://stevegarfield.blogs.com/videoblog/2006/03/vlog_soup_episo.html>

        "You are worth like 50 million danishes." - Amy Carpenter

        Alternative reply address:
        stephen.garfield [AT] comcast.net
      • Anne Walk
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 31, 2006
          hey bre,

          try this for tips on interviews
          http://www.mediacollege.com/video/interviews/tips.html

          and this on basic three point lighting (the best for faces)
          http://www.planetoftunes.com/dv/lighting.html

          if you're going to be shooting someone doing some sort of activity, this one is good too
          http://www.urbanfox.tv/creative/sequences.html

          video making for cash. i wonder what that must be like...:)
          anne

          On 3/31/06, Steve Garfield <steve@...> wrote:
          Are you using the SD300?

          On Mar 31, 2006, at 7:01 PM, pettisb wrote:

          >  interview the person with my hand held sd300

          --Steve
          --
          http://SteveGarfield.com
          http://Rocketboom.com

          My most recent post:

          VLOG SOUP: Episode 12
          <http://stevegarfield.blogs.com/videoblog/2006/03/vlog_soup_episo.html >

          "You are worth like 50 million danishes." - Amy Carpenter

          Alternative reply address:
          stephen.garfield [AT] comcast.net

          Yahoo! Groups Links

               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          --
          Anne Walk
          http://loadedpun.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 31, 2006
            Hey Anne,

            Thanks, I'm going to go dig in to these links!

            Bre
            On Mar 31, 2006, at 7:33 PM, Anne Walk wrote:

            hey bre,

            try this for tips on interviews
            http://www.mediacollege.com/video/interviews/tips.html

            and this on basic three point lighting (the best for faces)
            http://www.planetoftunes.com/dv/lighting.html

            if you're going to be shooting someone doing some sort of activity, this one is good too
            http://www.urbanfox.tv/creative/sequences.html

            video making for cash. i wonder what that must be like...:)
            anne

            On 3/31/06, Steve Garfield <steve@...> wrote:
            Are you using the SD300?

            On Mar 31, 2006, at 7:01 PM, pettisb wrote:

            >  interview the person with my hand held sd300

            --Steve
            --
            http://SteveGarfield.com
            http://Rocketboom.com

            My most recent post:

            VLOG SOUP: Episode 12
            <http://stevegarfield.blogs.com/videoblog/2006/03/vlog_soup_episo.html >

            "You are worth like 50 million danishes." - Amy Carpenter

            Alternative reply address:
            stephen.garfield [AT] comcast.net

            Yahoo! Groups Links

                 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            --
            Anne Walk
            http://loadedpun.com

          • Jack Olmsted
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 1, 2006

              Hey Bre,

              > What are the tricks and tips for a great video interview?

              When I  work with kids interviewing adults for 4-H Network News, I have the interviewee "feed" the young interviewer each question and shoot the q&a as seprate scenes.  There are times when a question is shot 6-8 times before it is said correctly.

              A couple of weeks ago we walked in cold to interview a spokesperson for the local Red Cross during a disaster training exercise . We used  a single spotlight clipped to a 6 foot light stand, a wireless hand held mike and a mono pod. The interview was edited together by the 13 year old interviewer in 20 minutes and presented to members of the Red Cross after their meeting. There are some ruff spots in the piece, but you can learn from the mistakes. Our next interviews in this vein will be better.

              If you do this type of interview, give yourself editing  "room" on the front and back of each scene.

              Shoot a couple of  "listening shots" of yourself and the interviewee....60 minutes style.

              Last weekend, we shot  "converational interviews" with local artists at an art gallery opening .  We used a tripod, the single 6 foot light stand with a 75 watt spotlight,  a wireless mike and edited the piece together with "flash transitions".  It is was just a 12 minute  stream of consciousness that was edited down to around 8 minutes.

              If you have time to prepare, write up a page of questions and go over the list with the interviewee before the shoot.

              Shoot B-Roll after the interview.

              -Jack
              4-H Network News
              http://4-hnews.blogspot.com

            • Andy Carvin
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 1, 2006
                Here are some of the basic ideas I try to teach students:

                Getting subject comfortable in front of camera. You generally don't
                want to start peppering them with questions the moment you meet them.
                get them situated in front of the camera and start rolling before you
                ask questions; just chat and let them get settled. This works well
                with sit-down interviews; if it's on the fly, of course, this doesn't
                really apply.

                Eye perspective. Have them either looking at the camera or just
                off-camera, but not both in the same interview. Off-camera is more common.

                Avoid too many people behind the camera. Not usually a problem for
                vloggers, but if you're working as a team, don't crowd around the
                interviewer. If there are several people hanging out behind the
                camera, the interviewee will make eye contact with all of them, which
                looks terrible on film. Just get them to look either at the
                interviewer or the camera, whichever you prefer.

                Have subject repeat question as statement. You want to make sure their
                answers convey the question. Compare these two responses:

                Bad response:
                Q: When did you start the band?
                A: In 2003.

                Good response:
                Q: When did you start the band?
                A: We started the band back in 2003...

                By having them incorporate the question into their answer, it'll make
                for better interview footage.

                andy carvin
                andycarvin@...

                --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "pettisb" <pettisb@...> wrote:

                > Hey Folks,
                >
                > I have an interview gig coming up in two weeks and my normal strategy
                > is to just interview the person with my hand held sd300 and edit it
                > all together and then record an intro and outro before and after the
                > interview. This one has to be snazzier than that since I'm going to
                > get paid for it.
                >
                > I've got a lowel light set to bring with two softboxes and some 500
                > watt lights. I'm even bringing in someone else to point the camera and
                > push the red button. I'm getting my old fluid head tripod out of the
                > closet too!
                >
                > If you've had any experience with interviews, I'm curious about what's
                > worked for you and what tips and tricks you've picked up along the
                > way. What are the tricks and tips for a great video interview? What is
                > the best way to light an interview? What are the best shots to go for?
                > Are there any editing tricks that you would suggest? How much do you
                > move the camera around? What are your favorite cut shots?
                >
                > Thanks in advance for helping me improve my interviewing skills!
                >
                > Bre
                > http://imakethings.com
                > http://wearethemedia.com

              • Bre Pettis