Re: [videoblogging] Microsoft orders you to change your web-pages

  • T.Whid
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 31, 2006
      More on this:

      On 3/31/06, Michael Sullivan <sulleleven@...> wrote:
      Actually, what we really need is SMIL support.

      i  work with SMIL.
      if interested you can see SMIL being used to render 'vodcast playlists' on vlogdir.com.
      it converts RSS to SMIL, taking only the Quicktime compatible media enclosures (dependent on mime type specified in RSS at the moment) and inserting embedded hyperlinks to the permalinks (click the video).

      most vodcasts use quicktime compatible media (especially since the viPod came out) so this helps.  As more people have better compressed mp4 video, i've even noticed buffer issues become less common.

      as much as i think smil is cool.... i'm also preparing an flv vodcast playlist generator, since this is a web based experience.

      sull

      On 3/30/06, Charles Iliya Krempeaux <supercanadian@...> wrote:
      Hello,

      On 3/30/06, Michael Verdi <michael@...> wrote:
      http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30643

      Does this affect videobloggers? What do ActiveX controls do?

      In IE, ActiveX controls let you play video right in your web page.  (So, no more doing that I suppose.)

      What we really need is native/built-in Video (and Audio) support, built right into the browser.  (And not need plug-ins for it.)

      Actually, what we really need is SMIL support.  (SMIL is a markup language similar to HTML, but adds video, audio, and timing.)  SMIL's actually a perfect fit for us vloggers, vidcasters, vodcasters, Internet TV makers, etc.

      See ya

      --
          Charles Iliya Krempeaux, B.Sc.

          charles @ reptile.ca