Revlog MegaThread

  • Charlie Rosen
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 29 11:41 AM
      It doesn't seem like there has ever been a real
      discussion about the pros and cons of revlogging. I'm
      not talking about video mash-ups. I'm talking about
      vlogs made completely of other peoples' videos.

      Two examples:

      http://feeds.feedburner.com/TheRevlog
      http://feeds.feedburner.com/joshleospicks

      I've never had one of my videos "revlogged" but in
      theory I'd be ok with it because the enclosure link
      would be pulling the video from my server, so I know
      that it was downloaded.

      Some things that are important to me:

      1) Give credit. A permalink to my blog would do. I'd
      prefer to have the source listed in the item title and
      description to make it really obvious.
      2) Enclosure must sit on my server. Don't copy it
      onto your server and republish because I like to know
      how many people are watching my vid.
      3) The emphasis about the feed should not be "watch
      this feed!" but rather "watch these other feeds that I
      watch."

      Overall I agree with Josh Leo that ReVlogs are great.
      Check out his "About Josh's Picks" blurb here:
      http://www.joshleo.com/picks/?page_id=2

      I'd love to start revlogging. But where's the line in
      terms of courtesy to the video makers? What's proper
      etiquette? Do you need to email the person first
      before you link to their video on your vlog? What
      about ads? If I revlogged an episode of Rocketboom
      with a TRM ad next to one of Verdi's vids, would I be
      pissing Verdi off? What's proper use?

      - Charlie
      http://cousincharlie.blogspot.com/
      feeds.feedburner.com/CousinCharlie

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Melanie Morgan
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 29 12:36 PM
        Hi Charlie,

        I actually started a thread about this last week. I got a couple of
        great responses to my questions. I hope it helps.

        Here's the link:
        http://groups.google.com/group/videoblogging/browse_thread/thread/
        34aa21b10ea51c4e/13856dc56578fa66?hl=en#13856dc56578fa66

        Melanie

      • Josh Leo
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 29 12:50 PM
          Ideally, I would want to creae a feed that originated from my blog, but when you click the comment button in fireant, it would take you to the original post by the original author. This way, people would subscribe to my feed to find more feeds, and then you would get more people subscribing to your feed because i linked to it.

          but for right now the best we can do is include permalinks within the posts..

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          --
          Josh Leo

          joshleo.com