Dreamhost reliability?

  • Enric
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2006
      I've had an hosting account with page-zone.com for years. But it's
      somewhat slow and goes down often. I now have an account also with
      Dreamhost and am thinking of moving all my accounts over. How
      reliable has Dreamhost been? Does it go down ever, rarely, often?

      Thanks,

      Enric
      -===-
      http://www.cirne.com (if only page-zone was up :))
    • J. Rhett Aultman
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2006
        I've used Dreamhost for years and never once had a reason to complain at
        all. I should also note that the reason I started using Dreamhost years
        ago is because a friend of mine ran the website of his dotcom off of
        Dreamhost. Anywhere good enough to run a commercial site is good enough
        for me.

        Enric wrote:

        > I've had an hosting account with page-zone.com for years. But it's
        > somewhat slow and goes down often. I now have an account also with
        > Dreamhost and am thinking of moving all my accounts over. How
        > reliable has Dreamhost been? Does it go down ever, rarely, often?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Enric
        > -===-
        > http://www.cirne.com (if only page-zone was up :))

        > Individual
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Individual&w1=Individual&w2=Fireant&w3=Use&c=3&s=38&.sig=OHeQJKby66gg3t35np-qiw>
        > Fireant
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Fireant&w1=Individual&w2=Fireant&w3=Use&c=3&s=38&.sig=hK8TfZa7ClhTIxDJdP6Cbw>
        > Use
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Use&w1=Individual&w2=Fireant&w3=Use&c=3&s=38&.sig=fljF53rXtnOMjmpIySYbqA>

      • Stan Hirson, Sarah Jones
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2006
          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Enric" <enric@...> wrote:

          > I've had an hosting account with page-zone.com for years. But it's
          > somewhat slow and goes down often. I now have an account also with
          > Dreamhost and am thinking of moving all my accounts over. How
          > reliable has Dreamhost been? Does it go down ever, rarely, often?

          Search "dreamhost hacked" in Google Groups and you will find a pretty scary thread.  I have had an account with them for only a short while.  Frankly, I admit I needed some tech support to get up and running and I never got it.  I've had to open an account with another server, Lunarpages.  They have real live people available on the phone for tech support and their emails are answered promptly.  This was not my  experiene with Dreamhost at all.  Also, Lunarpages has C-Panel and file management software that Dreamhost either keeps secret or doesn't have.

          I think you are more at ease around large servers than I and may not need  support.  The price is right...

          Stan
        • Enric
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 1, 2006
            Funny if I search for page-zone hacked I get quite a few responses also :)

            Yea, I'm ok with getting into the innards of servers.

            Thanks,

            Enric
            -===-
            http://www.cirne.com

            --- In videoblogging@yahooworking on a wordpress plugin forgroups.com,
            "Stan Hirson, Sarah Jones" <shirson@...> wrote:

            > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Enric" <enric@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I've had an hosting account with page-zone.com for years. But it's
            > > somewhat slow and goes down often. I now have an account also with
            > > Dreamhost and am thinking of moving all my accounts over. How
            > > reliable has Dreamhost been? Does it go down ever, rarely, often?
            > >
            > Search "dreamhost hacked" in Google Groups and you will find a pretty
            > scary thread. I have had an account with them for only a short while.
            > Frankly, I admit I needed some tech support to get up and running and I
            > never got it. I've had to open an account with another server,
            > Lunarpages. They have real live people available on the phone for tech
            > support and their emails are answered promptly. This was not my
            > experiene with Dreamhost at all. Also, Lunarpages has C-Panel and file
            > management software that Dreamhost either keeps secret or doesn't have.
            >
            > I think you are more at ease around large servers than I and may not
            > need support. The price is right...
            >
            > Stan

          • Peter Van Dijck
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 1, 2006
              Dreamhost is by far the best hosting company I've used in 6 years
              (I've used 5, I believe, or 6).

              Peter

              On 3/1/06, Enric <enric@...> wrote:
              > Funny if I search for page-zone hacked I get quite a few responses also :)
              >
              > Yea, I'm ok with getting into the innards of servers.
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Enric
              > -===-
              > http://www.cirne.com
              >

              > --- In videoblogging@yahooworking on a wordpress plugin forgroups.com,
              > "Stan Hirson, Sarah Jones" <shirson@...> wrote:
              > >

              > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Enric" <enric@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I've had an hosting account with page-zone.com for years. But it's
              > > > somewhat slow and goes down often. I now have an account also with
              > > > Dreamhost and am thinking of moving all my accounts over. How
              > > > reliable has Dreamhost been? Does it go down ever, rarely, often?
              > > >
              > > Search "dreamhost hacked" in Google Groups and you will find a pretty
              > > scary thread. I have had an account with them for only a short while.
              > > Frankly, I admit I needed some tech support to get up and running and I
              > > never got it. I've had to open an account with another server,
              > > Lunarpages. They have real live people available on the phone for tech
              > > support and their emails are answered promptly. This was not my
              > > experiene with Dreamhost at all. Also, Lunarpages has C-Panel and file
              > > management software that Dreamhost either keeps secret or doesn't have.
              > >
              > > I think you are more at ease around large servers than I and may not
              > > need support. The price is right...
              > >
              > > Stan
              > >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Deirdre Straughan
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 2, 2006
                My site has been down for a day or two here and there since I moved over in September. Occasional outages since then have been quickly responded to when I go to their support page and fill in the form for what's not working (mail, FTP, or site). Tech support responses have also been good and timely, only once going (just barely) over 24 hours.

                --
                best regards,
                Deirdré Straughan

                www.beginningwithi.com (personal)
                www.tvblob.com (work)
              • Devlon
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 2, 2006
                  Our new blog is hosted by DH and the service has been pretty damn good..  I can second the comment from Peter, anytime we had problems with Mefeedia's hosting they did respond quickly.

                  The one-click install kicks butt too.  I am not a big fan of their stats, but that's what Statcounter is good for.

                  On 3/2/06, Deirdre Straughan <deirdre.straughan@...> wrote:
                  My site has been down for a day or two here and there since I moved over in September. Occasional outages since then have been quickly responded to when I go to their support page and fill in the form for what's not working (mail, FTP, or site). Tech support responses have also been good and timely, only once going (just barely) over 24 hours.

                  --
                  best regards,
                  Deirdré Straughan

                  www.beginningwithi.com (personal)