Re: [videoblogging] Has RB Started A Trend In WebVideo Advertising?

  • Joshua Kinberg
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
      I'm saying that I think this is very innovative.
      You only get one chance to be first.

      RB should receive good word of mouth and buzz from this event (and so
      should the purchaser of the ad space), but I wouldn't expect anyone
      else to get that same kind of buzz for being second in line... or
      third, or 103rd.

      Its like being the second person to walk on the moon (who was that
      guy? Everyone knows Neil Armstrong's famous words, but what about the
      other guy... "uhhh, yeah, what Neil said..." If only he'd gotten out
      of the lunar pod first!).

      Now, if this advertising approah were attempted for something like the
      Super Bowl, then that's another story...

      -Josh

    • davecircumnavigator
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
        Well I'm new here and joined for just this kind of conversation,
        so ...

        When we try to assess if RB or anyone else can repeat the sale, how
        does this event compare with the first sale of banner ads, or the
        first sale of a print advertising in a magazine, or the first
        Internet IPO? There may be an element of fad or craze to this sale
        because of RBs buzz, but I'm hoping that it's the beginning of a new
        market, too. Good for RB for capitalizing on the first mover
        advantage, I say, but there's always a second mover and a market to
        follow, no?

        -David

        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Joshua Kinberg <jkinberg@...>
        wrote:

        > I'm saying that I think this is very innovative.
        > You only get one chance to be first.
        >
        > RB should receive good word of mouth and buzz from this event (and
        so
        > should the purchaser of the ad space), but I wouldn't expect anyone
        > else to get that same kind of buzz for being second in line... or
        > third, or 103rd.
        >
        > Its like being the second person to walk on the moon (who was that
        > guy? Everyone knows Neil Armstrong's famous words, but what about
        the
        > other guy... "uhhh, yeah, what Neil said..." If only he'd gotten out
        > of the lunar pod first!).
        >
        > Now, if this advertising approah were attempted for something like
        the
        > Super Bowl, then that's another story...
        >
        > -Josh
        >

        > On 2/2/06, T.Whid <twhid@...> wrote:
        > > I agree with Michael, I don't see the logic in Josh's
        statement.

        > > I agree that there aren't that many vlogs or podcasts that could
        garner the amount of money we're seeing in the RB action ($15k right
        now, reserve not met). But RB can and will be able to do it again.

        > > Sure, the first company that buys the ad space will get some free
        press so perhaps the price will be inflated on this first auction.
        But if RB continues this means of ad sales a price will stabilize out
        of it and it might surprise us all how much that price is...

        > > On 2/2/06, Michael Sullivan <sulleleven@...> wrote:
        > > > Josh,
        > > > Care to ellaborate why you think *if* this auction is a success
        that it cannot be duplicated again for at least 1 of the several
        remaining weeks in 2006?
        > > > For that matter, even if this auction does not work....
        agreements cannot be made etc... then why would this hinder future
        attempts at finding an auction winner that rboom can and will work
        with?

        > > > Thanks,
        > > >
        > > > Sull

        for anyone except RB, and it will likely only work for them this
        once. This is why its good to be an innovator... "first" only happens
        once.

        can now add this step to their innovativie easy-to-use five step
        program, lol

        Podcaster, Futurecaster

        Evangelist has

        Individual
        Fireant Use

        Service .

        > > > sull
        > > > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        > > > "The hybrid or the meeting of two media is a moment of truth
        and revelation from which new form is born"

        Service .

        > > > ________________________________
        >

        > > --
        > > <twhid>www.mteww.com</twhid>

        Individual
        Fireant Use
        > > Explains

        Service.

        > > ________________________________

      • Joshua Kinberg
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
          I'm not saying this is like the first banner ad or first video commercial.
          This is the first videoblog that has attempted to use Ebay as its
          advertising sales force.
          I'm not saying that other people won't or shouldn't take this
          approach. All I'm saying is I wouldn't expect others to receive the
          same kind of buzz for being "first" in this approach that Rocketboom
          is likely to receive.

          -Josh

        • Michael Sullivan
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
            I think the buzz is besides the point.
            If rboom continues to maintain and increase their audience, then thats all that really matters to the 'bidders'.  the rboom offer could feasibly hold more value each day and each passing month.

                 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            --
            - - - -
            Sull
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
              I'm not expecting anything - nothing - but one of many possibilities
              that could evolve, beyond any hype, would be a place to go to (a)
              show your intent or desire to consider advertisement or sponsorship
              for your content where your terms are laid out and clear (because you
              know what would work best) and (b) a place for advertisers to find a
              place to put their ad; a directory, really - a market place that is
              already set up with contracts, money, security, international
              audience, a name, and a relatively cheap percentage for brokering an
              original contract for each deal (3%?).

              Maybe for instance, for Matt's snowboarding video site, he wouldn't
              mind having a post-roll, 7 second slide that faded in and out saying,
              "this episode sponsored by ______", if the blank blank was someone
              that Matt thought was cool, like maybe the Burton Snowboard company?
              He could set his price, etc. The advertiser or Matt could seek out
              the other and talk it over and do a deal quickly and cheaply without
              all the lawyers, 3rd parties, 4th parties and 5th.

              Meanwhile, lets say someone has a videoblog with an audience of 1000
              people who are REGULAR and SPECIFIC, it might be worth it for the
              advertiser to "nickel and dime" their ads off to the small sites
              because of how effective it can be for those 1000. In otherwords,
              they could spend a million dollars sponsoring a big site for a month
              or, they could spread that million dollars out into a whole wave of
              other, sites. Perhaps it might even be more valuable for them to go
              with the smaller sites. In each case, it would still only be on the
              sites that wanted the ads after seeing them and it' wouldnt involve a
              lot of legal time.

              Maybe the advertiser could put their ads up on e-Bay and offer a cpm
              for the ad. That would be crazy wouldnt it? Anyone could select an
              ad they liked and then pay the flat-fee CPM and a bit of code to
              track some data.

              Who knows?!

              On Feb 2, 2006, at 1:00 PM, Joshua Kinberg wrote:

              > I'm not saying this is like the first banner ad or first video
              > commercial.
              > This is the first videoblog that has attempted to use Ebay as its
              > advertising sales force.
              > I'm not saying that other people won't or shouldn't take this
              > approach. All I'm saying is I wouldn't expect others to receive the
              > same kind of buzz for being "first" in this approach that Rocketboom
              > is likely to receive.
              >
              > -Josh

            • robert a/k/a r
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
                Heh, perhaps some producers go the other way 'round.

                Rights managed properties compete with commodity, designers pay a
                modest price to use your video via an aggregation site, the "higher
                quality" producers get left behind.

                <http://www.stockphototalk.com/phototalk/2004/08/istockphotocom_.html>

                For example, someone needs a clip of a snowboarder. She finds a
                (aggregator?) site with a licensing scheme that says any 10 seconds for
                50 bucks, we don't care how you're using it. Maybe a search capability
                (to the aggregator site) is built into video editing software. A
                shopping cart let's you purchase the clips in a single purchase from
                the different clip vendors.

                Could it happen?

                --
                cheers

                Deconstructing the status quo, collaboratively

                My Vlog: http://r.24x7.com
                A Good Deal: http://foo.24x7.com