Re: [videoblogging] Has RB Started A Trend In WebVideo Advertising?

  • Ronen
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1, 2006
      All those guys with 'vlog magic' infomercials online can now add this step to their innovativie easy-to-use five step program, lol

      On 2/1/06, Kunga < kunga@...> wrote:
      Here we go... The genie is out of the bottle now.
      --
      Taylor Barcroft http://www.blogger.com/profile/11159903
      New Media Publisher, Editor, Video Journalist, Podcaster, Futurecaster

      On Feb 1, 2006, at 7:51 PM, Jack Olmsted wrote:

      > Inspired by Rocketbooms three day success auctioning off 5-days of
      > advertising time in March through eBay, Technology Evangelist has
      > set up their own eBay page for exclusive ad placement in five of
      > their upcoming HD videos.
      >
      > -Jack
      > http://view-point.blogspot.com

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

    • Joshua Kinberg
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 1, 2006
        Hate to be a naysayer, but I doubt it will work as well for anyone except RB, and it will likely only work for them this once. This is why its good to be an innovator... "first" only happens once.

        -Josh

        On 2/1/06, Kunga < kunga@...> wrote:
        Here we go... The genie is out of the bottle now.
        --
        Taylor Barcroft http://www.blogger.com/profile/11159903
        New Media Publisher, Editor, Video Journalist, Podcaster, Futurecaster
        URL http://FutureMedia.org
        RSS http://feeds.feedburner.com/FutureMedia
        iTunes http://tinyurl.com/8ql87

        On Feb 1, 2006, at 7:51 PM, Jack Olmsted wrote:

        > Inspired by Rocketbooms three day success auctioning off 5-days of
        > advertising time in March through eBay, Technology Evangelist has
        > set up their own eBay page for exclusive ad placement in five of
        > their upcoming HD videos.
        >
        > -Jack
        > http://view-point.blogspot.com

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        Individual Fireant Use
        Explains

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      • Ted Tagami
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 1, 2006
          You may be right Josh. RB is really at the vanguard. However this is interesting related news...

          From MediaPost (1/25):

          "On Tuesday, some of the nation's biggest advertisers got a pitch from a surprise media buying solutions provider: online auction service eBay. Details of the presentation, and the reaction of the ad executives--members of the Association of National Advertisers influential Television Advertising Committee--could not be discerned at press time, but executives privy to the meeting told MediaDailyNews that eBay was invited by the committee to present ideas for building an electronic trading system for buying and selling media ."

          Who knows? Maybe if there is a flood of vlogs going to auction eBay will kick it in and take it from the bottom (e.g. pez dispensers) rather than the top....

          On 2/1/06, Kunga < kunga@...> wrote:
          Here we go... The genie is out of the bottle now.
          --
          Taylor Barcroft http://www.blogger.com/profile/11159903
          New Media Publisher, Editor, Video Journalist, Podcaster, Futurecaster
          URL http://FutureMedia.org
          RSS http://feeds.feedburner.com/FutureMedia
          iTunes http://tinyurl.com/8ql87

          On Feb 1, 2006, at 7:51 PM, Jack Olmsted wrote:

          > Inspired by Rocketbooms three day success auctioning off 5-days of
          > advertising time in March through eBay, Technology Evangelist has
          > set up their own eBay page for exclusive ad placement in five of
          > their upcoming HD videos.
          >
          > -Jack
          > http://view-point.blogspot.com

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          Individual Fireant Use
          Explains

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          --
          Ted Tagami
          Principal, Universus Networks

          U N I V E R S U S . N E T
        • Deirdre Straughan
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
            To me, this looks like a natural market for Google. AdSense for Vlogs.

            On 2/2/06, Ted Tagami <digitalbuddha@... > wrote:
            You may be right Josh. RB is really at the vanguard. However this is interesting related news...

            From MediaPost (1/25):

            On 2/1/06, Kunga < kunga@...> wrote:
            Here we go... The genie is out of the bottle now.
            --
            Taylor Barcroft http://www.blogger.com/profile/11159903
            New Media Publisher, Editor, Video Journalist, Podcaster, Futurecaster
            URL http://FutureMedia.org
            RSS http://feeds.feedburner.com/FutureMedia
            iTunes http://tinyurl.com/8ql87

            On Feb 1, 2006, at 7:51 PM, Jack Olmsted wrote:

            > Inspired by Rocketbooms three day success auctioning off 5-days of
            > advertising time in March through eBay, Technology Evangelist has
            > set up their own eBay page for exclusive ad placement in five of
            > their upcoming HD videos.
            >
            > -Jack
            > http://view-point.blogspot.com

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            Individual Fireant Use
            Explains

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            --
            Ted Tagami
            Principal, Universus Networks

            U N I V E R S U S . N E T

            Individual Fireant Use
            Explains

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            --
            best regards,
            Deirdré Straughan

            www.beginningwithi.com (personal)
            www.tvblob.com (work)
          • Michael Sullivan
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
              Josh,
              Care to ellaborate why you think *if* this auction is a success that it cannot be duplicated again for at least 1 of the several remaining weeks in 2006?
              For that matter, even if this auction does not work.... agreements cannot be made etc... then why would this hinder future attempts at finding an auction winner that rboom can and will work with?

              Thanks,

              Sull

              On 2/1/06, Kunga < kunga@...> wrote:
              Here we go... The genie is out of the bottle now.
              --
              Taylor Barcroft http://www.blogger.com/profile/11159903
              New Media Publisher, Editor, Video Journalist, Podcaster, Futurecaster
              URL http://FutureMedia.org
              RSS http://feeds.feedburner.com/FutureMedia
              iTunes http://tinyurl.com/8ql87

              On Feb 1, 2006, at 7:51 PM, Jack Olmsted wrote:

              > Inspired by Rocketbooms three day success auctioning off 5-days of
              > advertising time in March through eBay, Technology Evangelist has
              > set up their own eBay page for exclusive ad placement in five of
              > their upcoming HD videos.
              >
              > -Jack
              > http://view-point.blogspot.com

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              Individual Fireant Use
              Explains

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              --
              sull
              "The hybrid or the meeting of two media is a moment of truth and revelation from which new form is born"
              http://vlogdir.com - The Videoblog Directory
              http://videobloggers.org - Free Videoblog Hosting / Vlogosphere Aggregator
            • T.Whid
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
                I agree with Michael, I don't see the logic in Josh's statement.

                I agree that there aren't that many vlogs or podcasts that could garner the amount of money we're seeing in the RB action ($15k right now, reserve not met). But RB can and will be able to do it again.

                Sure, the first company that buys the ad space will get some free press so perhaps the price will be inflated on this first auction. But if RB continues this means of ad sales a price will stabilize out of it and it might surprise us all how much that price is...

                On 2/1/06, Kunga < kunga@...> wrote:
                Here we go... The genie is out of the bottle now.
                --
                Taylor Barcroft http://www.blogger.com/profile/11159903
                New Media Publisher, Editor, Video Journalist, Podcaster, Futurecaster
                URL http://FutureMedia.org
                RSS http://feeds.feedburner.com/FutureMedia
                iTunes http://tinyurl.com/8ql87

                On Feb 1, 2006, at 7:51 PM, Jack Olmsted wrote:

                > Inspired by Rocketbooms three day success auctioning off 5-days of
                > advertising time in March through eBay, Technology Evangelist has
                > set up their own eBay page for exclusive ad placement in five of
                > their upcoming HD videos.
                >
                > -Jack
                > http://view-point.blogspot.com

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                Individual Fireant Use
                Explains

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                --
                sull

                <twhid>www.mteww.com</twhid>
              • Michael Sullivan
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
                  they can also choose to later hold their own auction outside of ebay.... and just use ebay now to get everyones attention.

                  On 2/1/06, Kunga < kunga@...> wrote:
                  Here we go... The genie is out of the bottle now.
                  --
                  Taylor Barcroft http://www.blogger.com/profile/11159903
                  New Media Publisher, Editor, Video Journalist, Podcaster, Futurecaster
                  URL http://FutureMedia.org
                  RSS http://feeds.feedburner.com/FutureMedia
                  iTunes http://tinyurl.com/8ql87

                  On Feb 1, 2006, at 7:51 PM, Jack Olmsted wrote:

                  > Inspired by Rocketbooms three day success auctioning off 5-days of
                  > advertising time in March through eBay, Technology Evangelist has
                  > set up their own eBay page for exclusive ad placement in five of
                  > their upcoming HD videos.
                  >
                  > -Jack
                  > http://view-point.blogspot.com

                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                  Individual Fireant Use
                  Explains

                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                  --
                  sull

                  <twhid>www.mteww.com </twhid>

                  Individual Fireant Use
                  Explains

                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                  --
                  - - - -
                  Sull
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
                    Bottom line is they have a good "product" and it will continue to
                    work - just a question of "to what level."

                    They may have a hard time matching the size of the bids next time
                    around, but the bottom line is the that the long-term success will
                    end up being commensurate to the value received.

                    RB is so much at the forefront right now that they definitely have a
                    viable business model. I think the key will be finding
                    complementary, relevant advertisers (which did not necessarily seem
                    to be the case with the bidders).

                    If they find the right advertisers (open-minded, progressive, with
                    a complementary product or service), the advertisers will get huge
                    value and everything will roll along smoothly.

                    Congrats RB - Rock on... (80's speak)

                    --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Michael Sullivan
                    <sulleleven@...> wrote:

                    > Josh,
                    > Care to ellaborate why you think *if* this auction is a success
                    that it
                    > cannot be duplicated again for at least 1 of the several remaining
                    weeks in
                    > 2006?
                    > For that matter, even if this auction does not work.... agreements
                    cannot be
                    > made etc... then why would this hinder future attempts at finding
                    an auction
                    > winner that rboom can and will work with?
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    >
                    > Sull
                    >
                    > On 2/2/06, Joshua Kinberg <jkinberg@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hate to be a naysayer, but I doubt it will work as well for
                    anyone except
                    > > RB, and it will likely only work for them this once. This is why
                    its good to
                    > > be an innovator... "first" only happens once.
                    > >
                    > > -Josh
                    > >

                    > > On 2/1/06, Ronen <mikeronen@...> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > All those guys with 'vlog magic' infomercials online can now
                    add this
                    > > > step to their innovativie easy-to-use five step program, lol

                    Futurecaster

                    Evangelist has

                    Terms of

                    t=ms&k=Individual&w1=Individual&w2=Fireant&w3=Use&w4=Explains&c=4&s=5
                    2&.sig=_ypWGVVDWUSpuxYaJQCHhA>
                    > > > Fireant<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                    t=ms&k=Fireant&w1=Individual&w2=Fireant&w3=Use&w4=Explains&c=4&s=52&.
                    sig=ZN1ChvogeamDt5UU6pqRYQ>
                    > > > Use<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                    t=ms&k=Use&w1=Individual&w2=Fireant&w3=Use&w4=Explains&c=4&s=52&.sig=
                    JJpiF0el7XIZm7_UQJThew>
                    > > > Explains<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                    t=ms&k=Explains&w1=Individual&w2=Fireant&w3=Use&w4=Explains&c=4&s=52&
                    .sig=UJhUAw_ybLAhU1YhEOb9AA>

                    > > > - Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
                    of
                    > > > Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                    > > ------------------------------
                    > >

                    > --
                    > sull
                    > "The hybrid or the meeting of two media is a moment of truth and
                    revelation
                    > from which new form is born"
                    > http://vlogdir.com - The Videoblog Directory
                    > http://videobloggers.org - Free Videoblog Hosting / Vlogosphere
                    Aggregator

                  • andrew michael baron
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
                      Thanks for all the nice words and thoughts!

                      It hasnt worked yet!!

                    • Joshua Kinberg
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
                        I'm saying that I think this is very innovative.
                        You only get one chance to be first.

                        RB should receive good word of mouth and buzz from this event (and so
                        should the purchaser of the ad space), but I wouldn't expect anyone
                        else to get that same kind of buzz for being second in line... or
                        third, or 103rd.

                        Its like being the second person to walk on the moon (who was that
                        guy? Everyone knows Neil Armstrong's famous words, but what about the
                        other guy... "uhhh, yeah, what Neil said..." If only he'd gotten out
                        of the lunar pod first!).

                        Now, if this advertising approah were attempted for something like the
                        Super Bowl, then that's another story...

                        -Josh

                      • davecircumnavigator
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
                          Well I'm new here and joined for just this kind of conversation,
                          so ...

                          When we try to assess if RB or anyone else can repeat the sale, how
                          does this event compare with the first sale of banner ads, or the
                          first sale of a print advertising in a magazine, or the first
                          Internet IPO? There may be an element of fad or craze to this sale
                          because of RBs buzz, but I'm hoping that it's the beginning of a new
                          market, too. Good for RB for capitalizing on the first mover
                          advantage, I say, but there's always a second mover and a market to
                          follow, no?

                          -David

                          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Joshua Kinberg <jkinberg@...>
                          wrote:

                          > I'm saying that I think this is very innovative.
                          > You only get one chance to be first.
                          >
                          > RB should receive good word of mouth and buzz from this event (and
                          so
                          > should the purchaser of the ad space), but I wouldn't expect anyone
                          > else to get that same kind of buzz for being second in line... or
                          > third, or 103rd.
                          >
                          > Its like being the second person to walk on the moon (who was that
                          > guy? Everyone knows Neil Armstrong's famous words, but what about
                          the
                          > other guy... "uhhh, yeah, what Neil said..." If only he'd gotten out
                          > of the lunar pod first!).
                          >
                          > Now, if this advertising approah were attempted for something like
                          the
                          > Super Bowl, then that's another story...
                          >
                          > -Josh
                          >

                          > On 2/2/06, T.Whid <twhid@...> wrote:
                          > > I agree with Michael, I don't see the logic in Josh's
                          statement.

                          > > I agree that there aren't that many vlogs or podcasts that could
                          garner the amount of money we're seeing in the RB action ($15k right
                          now, reserve not met). But RB can and will be able to do it again.

                          > > Sure, the first company that buys the ad space will get some free
                          press so perhaps the price will be inflated on this first auction.
                          But if RB continues this means of ad sales a price will stabilize out
                          of it and it might surprise us all how much that price is...

                          > > On 2/2/06, Michael Sullivan <sulleleven@...> wrote:
                          > > > Josh,
                          > > > Care to ellaborate why you think *if* this auction is a success
                          that it cannot be duplicated again for at least 1 of the several
                          remaining weeks in 2006?
                          > > > For that matter, even if this auction does not work....
                          agreements cannot be made etc... then why would this hinder future
                          attempts at finding an auction winner that rboom can and will work
                          with?

                          > > > Thanks,
                          > > >
                          > > > Sull

                          for anyone except RB, and it will likely only work for them this
                          once. This is why its good to be an innovator... "first" only happens
                          once.

                          can now add this step to their innovativie easy-to-use five step
                          program, lol

                          Podcaster, Futurecaster

                          Evangelist has

                          Individual
                          Fireant Use

                          Service .

                          > > > sull
                          > > > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                          > > > "The hybrid or the meeting of two media is a moment of truth
                          and revelation from which new form is born"

                          Service .

                          > > > ________________________________
                          >

                          > > --
                          > > <twhid>www.mteww.com</twhid>

                          Individual
                          Fireant Use
                          > > Explains

                          Service.

                          > > ________________________________

                        • Joshua Kinberg
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
                            I'm not saying this is like the first banner ad or first video commercial.
                            This is the first videoblog that has attempted to use Ebay as its
                            advertising sales force.
                            I'm not saying that other people won't or shouldn't take this
                            approach. All I'm saying is I wouldn't expect others to receive the
                            same kind of buzz for being "first" in this approach that Rocketboom
                            is likely to receive.

                            -Josh

                          • Michael Sullivan
                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
                              I think the buzz is besides the point.
                              If rboom continues to maintain and increase their audience, then thats all that really matters to the 'bidders'.  the rboom offer could feasibly hold more value each day and each passing month.

                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
                                I'm not expecting anything - nothing - but one of many possibilities
                                that could evolve, beyond any hype, would be a place to go to (a)
                                show your intent or desire to consider advertisement or sponsorship
                                for your content where your terms are laid out and clear (because you
                                know what would work best) and (b) a place for advertisers to find a
                                place to put their ad; a directory, really - a market place that is
                                already set up with contracts, money, security, international
                                audience, a name, and a relatively cheap percentage for brokering an
                                original contract for each deal (3%?).

                                Maybe for instance, for Matt's snowboarding video site, he wouldn't
                                mind having a post-roll, 7 second slide that faded in and out saying,
                                "this episode sponsored by ______", if the blank blank was someone
                                that Matt thought was cool, like maybe the Burton Snowboard company?
                                He could set his price, etc. The advertiser or Matt could seek out
                                the other and talk it over and do a deal quickly and cheaply without
                                all the lawyers, 3rd parties, 4th parties and 5th.

                                Meanwhile, lets say someone has a videoblog with an audience of 1000
                                people who are REGULAR and SPECIFIC, it might be worth it for the
                                advertiser to "nickel and dime" their ads off to the small sites
                                because of how effective it can be for those 1000. In otherwords,
                                they could spend a million dollars sponsoring a big site for a month
                                or, they could spread that million dollars out into a whole wave of
                                other, sites. Perhaps it might even be more valuable for them to go
                                with the smaller sites. In each case, it would still only be on the
                                sites that wanted the ads after seeing them and it' wouldnt involve a
                                lot of legal time.

                                Maybe the advertiser could put their ads up on e-Bay and offer a cpm
                                for the ad. That would be crazy wouldnt it? Anyone could select an
                                ad they liked and then pay the flat-fee CPM and a bit of code to
                                track some data.

                                Who knows?!

                                On Feb 2, 2006, at 1:00 PM, Joshua Kinberg wrote:

                                > I'm not saying this is like the first banner ad or first video
                                > commercial.
                                > This is the first videoblog that has attempted to use Ebay as its
                                > advertising sales force.
                                > I'm not saying that other people won't or shouldn't take this
                                > approach. All I'm saying is I wouldn't expect others to receive the
                                > same kind of buzz for being "first" in this approach that Rocketboom
                                > is likely to receive.
                                >
                                > -Josh

                              • robert a/k/a r
                                Message 15 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
                                  Heh, perhaps some producers go the other way 'round.

                                  Rights managed properties compete with commodity, designers pay a
                                  modest price to use your video via an aggregation site, the "higher
                                  quality" producers get left behind.

                                  <http://www.stockphototalk.com/phototalk/2004/08/istockphotocom_.html>

                                  For example, someone needs a clip of a snowboarder. She finds a
                                  (aggregator?) site with a licensing scheme that says any 10 seconds for
                                  50 bucks, we don't care how you're using it. Maybe a search capability
                                  (to the aggregator site) is built into video editing software. A
                                  shopping cart let's you purchase the clips in a single purchase from
                                  the different clip vendors.

                                  Could it happen?

                                  --
                                  cheers

                                  Deconstructing the status quo, collaboratively

                                  My Vlog: http://r.24x7.com
                                  A Good Deal: http://foo.24x7.com