Re: [videoblogging] Has RB Started A Trend In WebVideo Advertising?

  • Kunga
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1 8:29 PM
      Here we go... The genie is out of the bottle now.
      --
      Taylor Barcroft http://www.blogger.com/profile/11159903
      New Media Publisher, Editor, Video Journalist, Podcaster, Futurecaster

      On Feb 1, 2006, at 7:51 PM, Jack Olmsted wrote:

      > Inspired by Rocketbooms three day success auctioning off 5-days of
      > advertising time in March through eBay, Technology Evangelist has
      > set up their own eBay page for exclusive ad placement in five of
      > their upcoming HD videos.
      >
      > -Jack
      > http://view-point.blogspot.com
    • Ronen
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 1 8:42 PM
        All those guys with 'vlog magic' infomercials online can now add this step to their innovativie easy-to-use five step program, lol

        On 2/1/06, Kunga < kunga@...> wrote:
        Here we go... The genie is out of the bottle now.
        --
        Taylor Barcroft http://www.blogger.com/profile/11159903
        New Media Publisher, Editor, Video Journalist, Podcaster, Futurecaster
        URL http://FutureMedia.org
        RSS http://feeds.feedburner.com/FutureMedia
        iTunes http://tinyurl.com/8ql87

        On Feb 1, 2006, at 7:51 PM, Jack Olmsted wrote:

        > Inspired by Rocketbooms three day success auctioning off 5-days of
        > advertising time in March through eBay, Technology Evangelist has
        > set up their own eBay page for exclusive ad placement in five of
        > their upcoming HD videos.
        >
        > -Jack
        > http://view-point.blogspot.com

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      • Joshua Kinberg
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 1 10:08 PM
          Hate to be a naysayer, but I doubt it will work as well for anyone except RB, and it will likely only work for them this once. This is why its good to be an innovator... "first" only happens once.

          -Josh

          On 2/1/06, Kunga < kunga@...> wrote:
          Here we go... The genie is out of the bottle now.
          --
          Taylor Barcroft http://www.blogger.com/profile/11159903
          New Media Publisher, Editor, Video Journalist, Podcaster, Futurecaster
          URL http://FutureMedia.org
          RSS http://feeds.feedburner.com/FutureMedia
          iTunes http://tinyurl.com/8ql87

          On Feb 1, 2006, at 7:51 PM, Jack Olmsted wrote:

          > Inspired by Rocketbooms three day success auctioning off 5-days of
          > advertising time in March through eBay, Technology Evangelist has
          > set up their own eBay page for exclusive ad placement in five of
          > their upcoming HD videos.
          >
          > -Jack
          > http://view-point.blogspot.com

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          Individual Fireant Use
          Explains

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        • Ted Tagami
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 1 10:24 PM
            You may be right Josh. RB is really at the vanguard. However this is interesting related news...

            From MediaPost (1/25):

            "On Tuesday, some of the nation's biggest advertisers got a pitch from a surprise media buying solutions provider: online auction service eBay. Details of the presentation, and the reaction of the ad executives--members of the Association of National Advertisers influential Television Advertising Committee--could not be discerned at press time, but executives privy to the meeting told MediaDailyNews that eBay was invited by the committee to present ideas for building an electronic trading system for buying and selling media ."

            Who knows? Maybe if there is a flood of vlogs going to auction eBay will kick it in and take it from the bottom (e.g. pez dispensers) rather than the top....

            On 2/1/06, Kunga < kunga@...> wrote:
            Here we go... The genie is out of the bottle now.
            --
            Taylor Barcroft http://www.blogger.com/profile/11159903
            New Media Publisher, Editor, Video Journalist, Podcaster, Futurecaster
            URL http://FutureMedia.org
            RSS http://feeds.feedburner.com/FutureMedia
            iTunes http://tinyurl.com/8ql87

            On Feb 1, 2006, at 7:51 PM, Jack Olmsted wrote:

            > Inspired by Rocketbooms three day success auctioning off 5-days of
            > advertising time in March through eBay, Technology Evangelist has
            > set up their own eBay page for exclusive ad placement in five of
            > their upcoming HD videos.
            >
            > -Jack
            > http://view-point.blogspot.com

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            Individual Fireant Use
            Explains

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            --
            Ted Tagami
            Principal, Universus Networks

            U N I V E R S U S . N E T
          • Deirdre Straughan
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 2 4:16 AM
              To me, this looks like a natural market for Google. AdSense for Vlogs.

              On 2/2/06, Ted Tagami <digitalbuddha@... > wrote:
              You may be right Josh. RB is really at the vanguard. However this is interesting related news...

              From MediaPost (1/25):

              On 2/1/06, Kunga < kunga@...> wrote:
              Here we go... The genie is out of the bottle now.
              --
              Taylor Barcroft http://www.blogger.com/profile/11159903
              New Media Publisher, Editor, Video Journalist, Podcaster, Futurecaster
              URL http://FutureMedia.org
              RSS http://feeds.feedburner.com/FutureMedia
              iTunes http://tinyurl.com/8ql87

              On Feb 1, 2006, at 7:51 PM, Jack Olmsted wrote:

              > Inspired by Rocketbooms three day success auctioning off 5-days of
              > advertising time in March through eBay, Technology Evangelist has
              > set up their own eBay page for exclusive ad placement in five of
              > their upcoming HD videos.
              >
              > -Jack
              > http://view-point.blogspot.com

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              Individual Fireant Use
              Explains

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              --
              Ted Tagami
              Principal, Universus Networks

              U N I V E R S U S . N E T

              Individual Fireant Use
              Explains

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              --
              best regards,
              Deirdré Straughan

              www.beginningwithi.com (personal)
              www.tvblob.com (work)
            • Michael Sullivan
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 2 5:20 AM
                Josh,
                Care to ellaborate why you think *if* this auction is a success that it cannot be duplicated again for at least 1 of the several remaining weeks in 2006?
                For that matter, even if this auction does not work.... agreements cannot be made etc... then why would this hinder future attempts at finding an auction winner that rboom can and will work with?

                Thanks,

                Sull

                On 2/1/06, Kunga < kunga@...> wrote:
                Here we go... The genie is out of the bottle now.
                --
                Taylor Barcroft http://www.blogger.com/profile/11159903
                New Media Publisher, Editor, Video Journalist, Podcaster, Futurecaster
                URL http://FutureMedia.org
                RSS http://feeds.feedburner.com/FutureMedia
                iTunes http://tinyurl.com/8ql87

                On Feb 1, 2006, at 7:51 PM, Jack Olmsted wrote:

                > Inspired by Rocketbooms three day success auctioning off 5-days of
                > advertising time in March through eBay, Technology Evangelist has
                > set up their own eBay page for exclusive ad placement in five of
                > their upcoming HD videos.
                >
                > -Jack
                > http://view-point.blogspot.com

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                Individual Fireant Use
                Explains

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                --
                sull
                "The hybrid or the meeting of two media is a moment of truth and revelation from which new form is born"
                http://vlogdir.com - The Videoblog Directory
                http://videobloggers.org - Free Videoblog Hosting / Vlogosphere Aggregator
              • T.Whid
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 2 6:40 AM
                  I agree with Michael, I don't see the logic in Josh's statement.

                  I agree that there aren't that many vlogs or podcasts that could garner the amount of money we're seeing in the RB action ($15k right now, reserve not met). But RB can and will be able to do it again.

                  Sure, the first company that buys the ad space will get some free press so perhaps the price will be inflated on this first auction. But if RB continues this means of ad sales a price will stabilize out of it and it might surprise us all how much that price is...

                  On 2/1/06, Kunga < kunga@...> wrote:
                  Here we go... The genie is out of the bottle now.
                  --
                  Taylor Barcroft http://www.blogger.com/profile/11159903
                  New Media Publisher, Editor, Video Journalist, Podcaster, Futurecaster
                  URL http://FutureMedia.org
                  RSS http://feeds.feedburner.com/FutureMedia
                  iTunes http://tinyurl.com/8ql87

                  On Feb 1, 2006, at 7:51 PM, Jack Olmsted wrote:

                  > Inspired by Rocketbooms three day success auctioning off 5-days of
                  > advertising time in March through eBay, Technology Evangelist has
                  > set up their own eBay page for exclusive ad placement in five of
                  > their upcoming HD videos.
                  >
                  > -Jack
                  > http://view-point.blogspot.com

                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                  Individual Fireant Use
                  Explains

                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                  --
                  sull

                  <twhid>www.mteww.com</twhid>
                • Michael Sullivan
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 2 6:52 AM
                    they can also choose to later hold their own auction outside of ebay.... and just use ebay now to get everyones attention.

                    On 2/1/06, Kunga < kunga@...> wrote:
                    Here we go... The genie is out of the bottle now.
                    --
                    Taylor Barcroft http://www.blogger.com/profile/11159903
                    New Media Publisher, Editor, Video Journalist, Podcaster, Futurecaster
                    URL http://FutureMedia.org
                    RSS http://feeds.feedburner.com/FutureMedia
                    iTunes http://tinyurl.com/8ql87

                    On Feb 1, 2006, at 7:51 PM, Jack Olmsted wrote:

                    > Inspired by Rocketbooms three day success auctioning off 5-days of
                    > advertising time in March through eBay, Technology Evangelist has
                    > set up their own eBay page for exclusive ad placement in five of
                    > their upcoming HD videos.
                    >
                    > -Jack
                    > http://view-point.blogspot.com

                    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                    Individual Fireant Use
                    Explains

                    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                    --
                    sull

                    <twhid>www.mteww.com </twhid>

                    Individual Fireant Use
                    Explains

                    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                    --
                    - - - -
                    Sull
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 2 9:13 AM
                      Bottom line is they have a good "product" and it will continue to
                      work - just a question of "to what level."

                      They may have a hard time matching the size of the bids next time
                      around, but the bottom line is the that the long-term success will
                      end up being commensurate to the value received.

                      RB is so much at the forefront right now that they definitely have a
                      viable business model. I think the key will be finding
                      complementary, relevant advertisers (which did not necessarily seem
                      to be the case with the bidders).

                      If they find the right advertisers (open-minded, progressive, with
                      a complementary product or service), the advertisers will get huge
                      value and everything will roll along smoothly.

                      Congrats RB - Rock on... (80's speak)

                      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Michael Sullivan
                      <sulleleven@...> wrote:

                      > Josh,
                      > Care to ellaborate why you think *if* this auction is a success
                      that it
                      > cannot be duplicated again for at least 1 of the several remaining
                      weeks in
                      > 2006?
                      > For that matter, even if this auction does not work.... agreements
                      cannot be
                      > made etc... then why would this hinder future attempts at finding
                      an auction
                      > winner that rboom can and will work with?
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      >
                      > Sull
                      >
                      > On 2/2/06, Joshua Kinberg <jkinberg@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hate to be a naysayer, but I doubt it will work as well for
                      anyone except
                      > > RB, and it will likely only work for them this once. This is why
                      its good to
                      > > be an innovator... "first" only happens once.
                      > >
                      > > -Josh
                      > >

                      > > On 2/1/06, Ronen <mikeronen@...> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > All those guys with 'vlog magic' infomercials online can now
                      add this
                      > > > step to their innovativie easy-to-use five step program, lol

                      Futurecaster

                      Evangelist has

                      Terms of

                      t=ms&k=Individual&w1=Individual&w2=Fireant&w3=Use&w4=Explains&c=4&s=5
                      2&.sig=_ypWGVVDWUSpuxYaJQCHhA>
                      > > > Fireant<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                      t=ms&k=Fireant&w1=Individual&w2=Fireant&w3=Use&w4=Explains&c=4&s=52&.
                      sig=ZN1ChvogeamDt5UU6pqRYQ>
                      > > > Use<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                      t=ms&k=Use&w1=Individual&w2=Fireant&w3=Use&w4=Explains&c=4&s=52&.sig=
                      JJpiF0el7XIZm7_UQJThew>
                      > > > Explains<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                      t=ms&k=Explains&w1=Individual&w2=Fireant&w3=Use&w4=Explains&c=4&s=52&
                      .sig=UJhUAw_ybLAhU1YhEOb9AA>

                      > > > - Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
                      of
                      > > > Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                      > > ------------------------------
                      > >

                      > --
                      > sull
                      > "The hybrid or the meeting of two media is a moment of truth and
                      revelation
                      > from which new form is born"
                      > http://vlogdir.com - The Videoblog Directory
                      > http://videobloggers.org - Free Videoblog Hosting / Vlogosphere
                      Aggregator

                    • andrew michael baron
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 2 9:19 AM
                        Thanks for all the nice words and thoughts!

                        It hasnt worked yet!!

                      • Joshua Kinberg
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 2 9:34 AM
                          I'm saying that I think this is very innovative.
                          You only get one chance to be first.

                          RB should receive good word of mouth and buzz from this event (and so
                          should the purchaser of the ad space), but I wouldn't expect anyone
                          else to get that same kind of buzz for being second in line... or
                          third, or 103rd.

                          Its like being the second person to walk on the moon (who was that
                          guy? Everyone knows Neil Armstrong's famous words, but what about the
                          other guy... "uhhh, yeah, what Neil said..." If only he'd gotten out
                          of the lunar pod first!).

                          Now, if this advertising approah were attempted for something like the
                          Super Bowl, then that's another story...

                          -Josh

                        • davecircumnavigator
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 2 9:43 AM
                            Well I'm new here and joined for just this kind of conversation,
                            so ...

                            When we try to assess if RB or anyone else can repeat the sale, how
                            does this event compare with the first sale of banner ads, or the
                            first sale of a print advertising in a magazine, or the first
                            Internet IPO? There may be an element of fad or craze to this sale
                            because of RBs buzz, but I'm hoping that it's the beginning of a new
                            market, too. Good for RB for capitalizing on the first mover
                            advantage, I say, but there's always a second mover and a market to
                            follow, no?

                            -David

                            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Joshua Kinberg <jkinberg@...>
                            wrote:

                            > I'm saying that I think this is very innovative.
                            > You only get one chance to be first.
                            >
                            > RB should receive good word of mouth and buzz from this event (and
                            so
                            > should the purchaser of the ad space), but I wouldn't expect anyone
                            > else to get that same kind of buzz for being second in line... or
                            > third, or 103rd.
                            >
                            > Its like being the second person to walk on the moon (who was that
                            > guy? Everyone knows Neil Armstrong's famous words, but what about
                            the
                            > other guy... "uhhh, yeah, what Neil said..." If only he'd gotten out
                            > of the lunar pod first!).
                            >
                            > Now, if this advertising approah were attempted for something like
                            the
                            > Super Bowl, then that's another story...
                            >
                            > -Josh
                            >

                            > On 2/2/06, T.Whid <twhid@...> wrote:
                            > > I agree with Michael, I don't see the logic in Josh's
                            statement.

                            > > I agree that there aren't that many vlogs or podcasts that could
                            garner the amount of money we're seeing in the RB action ($15k right
                            now, reserve not met). But RB can and will be able to do it again.

                            > > Sure, the first company that buys the ad space will get some free
                            press so perhaps the price will be inflated on this first auction.
                            But if RB continues this means of ad sales a price will stabilize out
                            of it and it might surprise us all how much that price is...

                            > > On 2/2/06, Michael Sullivan <sulleleven@...> wrote:
                            > > > Josh,
                            > > > Care to ellaborate why you think *if* this auction is a success
                            that it cannot be duplicated again for at least 1 of the several
                            remaining weeks in 2006?
                            > > > For that matter, even if this auction does not work....
                            agreements cannot be made etc... then why would this hinder future
                            attempts at finding an auction winner that rboom can and will work
                            with?

                            > > > Thanks,
                            > > >
                            > > > Sull

                            for anyone except RB, and it will likely only work for them this
                            once. This is why its good to be an innovator... "first" only happens
                            once.

                            can now add this step to their innovativie easy-to-use five step
                            program, lol

                            Podcaster, Futurecaster

                            Evangelist has

                            Individual
                            Fireant Use

                            Service .

                            > > > sull
                            > > > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                            > > > "The hybrid or the meeting of two media is a moment of truth
                            and revelation from which new form is born"

                            Service .

                            > > > ________________________________
                            >

                            > > --
                            > > <twhid>www.mteww.com</twhid>

                            Individual
                            Fireant Use
                            > > Explains

                            Service.

                            > > ________________________________

                          • Joshua Kinberg
                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 2 10:00 AM
                              I'm not saying this is like the first banner ad or first video commercial.
                              This is the first videoblog that has attempted to use Ebay as its
                              advertising sales force.
                              I'm not saying that other people won't or shouldn't take this
                              approach. All I'm saying is I wouldn't expect others to receive the
                              same kind of buzz for being "first" in this approach that Rocketboom
                              is likely to receive.

                              -Josh

                            • Michael Sullivan
                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 2 10:13 AM
                                I think the buzz is besides the point.
                                If rboom continues to maintain and increase their audience, then thats all that really matters to the 'bidders'.  the rboom offer could feasibly hold more value each day and each passing month.

                                Message 15 of 17 , Feb 2 10:21 AM
                                  I'm not expecting anything - nothing - but one of many possibilities
                                  that could evolve, beyond any hype, would be a place to go to (a)
                                  show your intent or desire to consider advertisement or sponsorship
                                  for your content where your terms are laid out and clear (because you
                                  know what would work best) and (b) a place for advertisers to find a
                                  place to put their ad; a directory, really - a market place that is
                                  already set up with contracts, money, security, international
                                  audience, a name, and a relatively cheap percentage for brokering an
                                  original contract for each deal (3%?).

                                  Maybe for instance, for Matt's snowboarding video site, he wouldn't
                                  mind having a post-roll, 7 second slide that faded in and out saying,
                                  "this episode sponsored by ______", if the blank blank was someone
                                  that Matt thought was cool, like maybe the Burton Snowboard company?
                                  He could set his price, etc. The advertiser or Matt could seek out
                                  the other and talk it over and do a deal quickly and cheaply without
                                  all the lawyers, 3rd parties, 4th parties and 5th.

                                  Meanwhile, lets say someone has a videoblog with an audience of 1000
                                  people who are REGULAR and SPECIFIC, it might be worth it for the
                                  advertiser to "nickel and dime" their ads off to the small sites
                                  because of how effective it can be for those 1000. In otherwords,
                                  they could spend a million dollars sponsoring a big site for a month
                                  or, they could spread that million dollars out into a whole wave of
                                  other, sites. Perhaps it might even be more valuable for them to go
                                  with the smaller sites. In each case, it would still only be on the
                                  sites that wanted the ads after seeing them and it' wouldnt involve a
                                  lot of legal time.

                                  Maybe the advertiser could put their ads up on e-Bay and offer a cpm
                                  for the ad. That would be crazy wouldnt it? Anyone could select an
                                  ad they liked and then pay the flat-fee CPM and a bit of code to
                                  track some data.

                                  Who knows?!

                                  On Feb 2, 2006, at 1:00 PM, Joshua Kinberg wrote:

                                  > I'm not saying this is like the first banner ad or first video
                                  > commercial.
                                  > This is the first videoblog that has attempted to use Ebay as its
                                  > advertising sales force.
                                  > I'm not saying that other people won't or shouldn't take this
                                  > approach. All I'm saying is I wouldn't expect others to receive the
                                  > same kind of buzz for being "first" in this approach that Rocketboom
                                  > is likely to receive.
                                  >
                                  > -Josh

                                • robert a/k/a r
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Feb 2 10:52 AM
                                    Heh, perhaps some producers go the other way 'round.

                                    Rights managed properties compete with commodity, designers pay a
                                    modest price to use your video via an aggregation site, the "higher
                                    quality" producers get left behind.

                                    <http://www.stockphototalk.com/phototalk/2004/08/istockphotocom_.html>

                                    For example, someone needs a clip of a snowboarder. She finds a
                                    (aggregator?) site with a licensing scheme that says any 10 seconds for
                                    50 bucks, we don't care how you're using it. Maybe a search capability
                                    (to the aggregator site) is built into video editing software. A
                                    shopping cart let's you purchase the clips in a single purchase from
                                    the different clip vendors.

                                    Could it happen?

                                    --
                                    cheers

                                    Deconstructing the status quo, collaboratively

                                    My Vlog: http://r.24x7.com
                                    A Good Deal: http://foo.24x7.com