RSS in IE7

  • David Meade
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 31, 2006
      Hi all. So I just downloaded the latest beta for IE7. I had a drink
      handy so that I could easily recover from all of the "HAH! FireFox
      already does that!" shouting I was going to do.

      As expected, there was alot of "oh why to copy someone else ... again" ...

      But, I did (generally) like the way it does RSS. Checkout the screenshot:

      Screenshot:
      http://www.davidmeade.com/Pics/ie7rss.png

      Notice the filter/sorting options. it read in all the category tags
      from my feed and lets me filter the listing based on them. Thats
      pretty cool. (you can also see the direct link it added for
      enclosures). It also has pretty good subscription features, letting
      you automatically download enclosed items.

      Anyway I REALLY liked the RSS filtering/sorting thing and wanted to
      share, but I was rather concerned that IE7 completely ignored the XML
      style sheet that should have been applied to the feed. I mean ...
      people make those for a reason.

      --
      http://www.DavidMeade.com
    • Arnþór Snær
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 31, 2006
        > IE7 completely ignored the XML
        > style sheet that should have been applied to the feed.

        Just like safari right ?
      • Andreas Haugstrup
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 31, 2006
          On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 22:36:29 +0100, David Meade <meade.dave@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi all. So I just downloaded the latest beta for IE7. I had a drink
          > handy so that I could easily recover from all of the "HAH! FireFox
          > already does that!" shouting I was going to do.

          Reminds me of the "HAH! Opera already does that!" I do whenever Firefox
          release a new version. :o)

          - Andreas
            looks a little like how safari does rss, except i like the use of
            categories when there

            David Meade wrote:

            >Hi all. So I just downloaded the latest beta for IE7. I had a drink
            >handy so that I could easily recover from all of the "HAH! FireFox
            >already does that!" shouting I was going to do.
            >
            >As expected, there was alot of "oh why to copy someone else ... again" ...
            >
            >But, I did (generally) like the way it does RSS. Checkout the screenshot:
            >
            >Screenshot:
            >http://www.davidmeade.com/Pics/ie7rss.png
            >
            >Notice the filter/sorting options. it read in all the category tags
            >from my feed and lets me filter the listing based on them. Thats
            >pretty cool. (you can also see the direct link it added for
            >enclosures). It also has pretty good subscription features, letting
            >you automatically download enclosed items.
            >
            >Anyway I REALLY liked the RSS filtering/sorting thing and wanted to
            >share, but I was rather concerned that IE7 completely ignored the XML
            >style sheet that should have been applied to the feed. I mean ...
            >people make those for a reason.
            >
            >--
            >http://www.DavidMeade.com

            http://apperceptions.org
            http://digitaldojo.blogspot.com
            http://node101.org
            http://spinflow.org
            http://wearethemedia.com
            http://xpressionvlog.blogspot.com

            aim/ichat: markus.sandy@...
            msn: msandy@...
            skype: msandy
            spin: markus@...
          • Markus Sandy
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 31, 2006
              i don't think safari recognizes categories yet

              but it has a really cool slider for controlling length of visible post

              all cool stuff, but i don't really do feeds much in my browser at this time

              i prefer aggregators like fireant and thunderbird

              Arnþór Snær wrote:
               IE7 completely ignored the XML
               style sheet that should have been applied to the feed.

              Just like safari right ?

              Yahoo! Groups Links

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              .

              http://apperceptions.org
              http://digitaldojo.blogspot.com
              http://node101.org
              http://spinflow.org
              http://wearethemedia.com
              http://xpressionvlog.blogspot.com

              aim/ichat: markus.sandy@...
              msn: msandy@...
              skype: msandy
              spin: markus@...

            • Joan Khoo

                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 31, 2006
                  David Meade wrote:
                  > Hi all. So I just downloaded the latest beta for IE7. I had a drink
                  > handy so that I could easily recover from all of the "HAH! FireFox
                  > already does that!" shouting I was going to do.
                  [snip]

                  > Anyway I REALLY liked the RSS filtering/sorting thing and wanted to
                  > share, but I was rather concerned that IE7 completely ignored the XML
                  > style sheet that should have been applied to the feed.

                  The bigger problem, for myself anyway, is that IE7 completely ignores
                  any platform that is not Windows, and since I don't use Windows, I guess
                  I should just ignore IE7. :(

                  Back around 2000 or so IE5/Mac was a decent browser, but I guess
                  Microsoft has no interest in other platforms anymore.

                  Pete

                  --
                  http://tinkernet.org/
                  videoblog for the future...
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 31, 2006
                    Personally I don't think the way IE7 (apparently), Firefox, or Safari handle RSS feeds. How do they save you any time? You still have to check a single RSS feed at a time. To me the whole point of an aggregator like FireAnt, Mefeedia, Bloglines, NetNewsWire, etc, is that you can see all of your subscriptions at once. If I switch over to Netnewswire right now, I see that roughly half of the 75 or so feeds I have in there have updates. Now I know which ones I don't have to even bother looking at.

                    Am I missing something?

                    -Verdi

                    On 1/31/06, Pete Prodoehl <raster@...> wrote:
                    David Meade wrote:
                    > Hi all.  So I just downloaded the latest beta for IE7.  I had a drink
                    > handy so that I could easily recover from all of the "HAH! FireFox
                    > already does that!" shouting I was going to do.
                    [snip]

                    > Anyway I REALLY liked the RSS filtering/sorting thing and wanted to
                    > share, but I was rather concerned that IE7 completely ignored the XML
                    > style sheet that should have been applied to the feed.

                    The bigger problem, for myself anyway, is that IE7 completely ignores
                    any platform that is not Windows, and since I don't use Windows, I guess
                    I should just ignore IE7. :(

                    Back around 2000 or so IE5/Mac was a decent browser, but I guess
                    Microsoft has no interest in other platforms anymore.

                    Pete

                    --
                    http://tinkernet.org/
                    videoblog for the future...

                         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    --
                    Me: http://michaelverdi.com
                    R&D: http://evilvlog.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 31, 2006
                      soon enough, every browser will be its own text and rich media aggregator.
                      but for now, you're right.

                      David Meade wrote:
                      > Hi all.  So I just downloaded the latest beta for IE7.  I had a drink
                      > handy so that I could easily recover from all of the "HAH! FireFox
                      > already does that!" shouting I was going to do.
                      [snip]

                      > Anyway I REALLY liked the RSS filtering/sorting thing and wanted to
                      > share, but I was rather concerned that IE7 completely ignored the XML
                      > style sheet that should have been applied to the feed.

                      The bigger problem, for myself anyway, is that IE7 completely ignores
                      any platform that is not Windows, and since I don't use Windows, I guess
                      I should just ignore IE7. :(

                      Back around 2000 or so IE5/Mac was a decent browser, but I guess
                      Microsoft has no interest in other platforms anymore.

                      Pete

                      --
                      http://tinkernet.org/
                      videoblog for the future...

                           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      --
                      Me: http://michaelverdi.com
                      R&D: http://evilvlog.com
                      Learn to videoblog: http://freevlog.org
                      Learn to videoblog in person: http://node101.org

                      Individual Fireant Use
                      Explains

                      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                      --
                      sull
                      "The hybrid or the meeting of two media is a moment of truth and revelation from which new form is born"
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 31, 2006
                        Not sure if its why they put it in, but I think the point is so you
                        can browse feeds as you find them, so to see what is included. With
                        the shear number of feeds available, it becomes painful to put them
                        into an aggregator just to see if they're worth keeping. So it is not
                        supposed to replace an aggregator.

                        Of course my guess is that they put it in because RSS is a fad. But
                        that's just me. :-)

                        Regards,
                      • Arnþór Snær
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 1, 2006
                          On 2/1/06, Michael Verdi <michael@...> wrote:
                          > Personally I don't think the way IE7 (apparently), Firefox, or Safari
                          > handle RSS feeds. How do they save you any time? You still have to check a
                          > single RSS feed at a time.

                          > Am I missing something?

                          Maybe, back when i used safari for rss, i'd put the feed in bookmark
                          folders which would be positioned right below the address bar, for
                          example i'd have a folder called news which would give me the total
                          unread posts news (32) every time i'd open safari.
                          I would then click it and click open all posts and every unread post
                          from those feed would open.

                          Very nice, maybe a little too nice, i stopped using it like that
                          because i almost became addicted to reading every single unread post.
                          Because it was so visible it had to be read.

                          Which is exactly the reason i don't like google reader (or do i :)
                        • David Meade
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 1, 2006
                            No I dont think you're missing anything really, Verdi.  IE7 is just a browser, it's still no replacement for an aggregator.  But it does offer a much easier view into feeds for people who arent with it yet.  Nice friendly format of raw feeds, sorting, filtering, auto-download of enclosed items, and a hot-key to open your list of subscribed feeds ... I think its going to let more and more people understand the point of feeds ... and then probably move to a more feature rich aggregator.

                            Windows Vista is apparently going to have nice RSS features at the OS level which actual aggregators can use and take advantage of.  So for example in Windows Vista you can use IE (or any browser that uses the vista rss APIs) to subscribe to a feed and it will automatically be listed in your favorite aggregators.

                            I think that eventually the major browsers will become more and more aggregator like (and I'm not sure I like that) ... but so far ... they're still just browsers.