Re: [videoblogging] Re: Rocketboom to Auction Advertising Time on Ebay?

  • WWWhatsup
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 30, 2006

      >----------

      I think the way they are doing it is analogous to those ads on the radio when the dj
      just has to basically talk about the product for a minute or whatever

      If you are a fan of the dj's style you'll enjoy him/her regardless of the subject matter

      I look forward to seeing the winning products get (swings head to camera2) 'rocketboomed'..

      joly

      WWWhatsup NYC
    • Pete Prodoehl
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 30, 2006
        WWWhatsup wrote:

        > I think the way they are doing it is analogous to those ads on the radio when the dj
        > just has to basically talk about the product for a minute or whatever
        >
        > If you are a fan of the dj's style you'll enjoy him/her regardless of the subject matter
        >
        > I look forward to seeing the winning products get (swings head to camera2) 'rocketboomed'..

        I think the big difference in Rocketboom's case is that they are taking
        control. They aren't just 'selling space' to anyone with the money, they
        are selling space with veto power over it. How many creatives get to do
        that?

        Pete

        --
        http://tinkernet.org/
        videoblog for the future...
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 30, 2006
          Huh?

          I believe the one with the most $$$ generally wins an auction.

          I havent looked at the terms (if there are terms) of the Rocketboom
          EBay auction so I dont know how they have veto power.

          David
          http://www.taoofdavid.com

          > I think the big difference in Rocketboom's case is that they are taking
          > control. They aren't just 'selling space' to anyone with the money,
          they
          > are selling space with veto power over it. How many creatives get to do
          > that?
          >
          > Pete
          >
          > --
          > http://tinkernet.org/
          > videoblog for the future...

        • Ms. Kitka
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 30, 2006
            David, I urge you to read the terms of the auction:
            http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:US:11&item=5661816188

            Rocketboom is not only selling advertising time on their videoblog,
            they are making the ads themselves, placing them at the end of their
            show and making them in such a way that their viewers will actually
            enjoy the ad.

            Why do so many people here think this is such a horrible thing? They
            are being creative and taking their audience into consideration all at
            the same time. Besides, it's not the first time they've aired
            advertisements on their show... they've been doing that for a long
            time (my favorite was the Flickr ad).

            Lighten up people.
            Kitka

            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "David Howell" <taoofdavid@g...>
            wrote:

            > Huh?
            >
            > I believe the one with the most $$$ generally wins an auction.
            >
            > I havent looked at the terms (if there are terms) of the Rocketboom
            > EBay auction so I dont know how they have veto power.
            >
            > David
            > http://www.taoofdavid.com
            >
            > > I think the big difference in Rocketboom's case is that they are
            taking
            > > control. They aren't just 'selling space' to anyone with the money,
            > they
            > > are selling space with veto power over it. How many creatives get
            to do
            > > that?
            > >
            > > Pete
            > >
            > > --
            > > http://tinkernet.org/
            > > videoblog for the future...

          • David Howell
            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 30, 2006
              I've read the terms.

              You know...maybe this isnt such a bad thing? All those people out
              there that dislike advertising on the internet
              (http://adblock.mozdev.org/ et al) may just stop visiting vloggers
              sites with in-video ads and they will all go to those that arent
              showing ads.

              Yes. This may be a good thing.

              David
              http://www.taoofdavid.com

              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Ms. Kitka" <mskitka@g...> wrote:

              > David, I urge you to read the terms of the auction:

              http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:US:11&item=5661816188

              > Rocketboom is not only selling advertising time on their videoblog,
              > they are making the ads themselves, placing them at the end of their
              > show and making them in such a way that their viewers will actually
              > enjoy the ad.
              >
              > Why do so many people here think this is such a horrible thing? They
              > are being creative and taking their audience into consideration all at
              > the same time. Besides, it's not the first time they've aired
              > advertisements on their show... they've been doing that for a long
              > time (my favorite was the Flickr ad).
              >
              > Lighten up people.
              > Kitka
              >

              > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "David Howell" <taoofdavid@g...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Huh?
              > >
              > > I believe the one with the most $$$ generally wins an auction.
              > >
              > > I havent looked at the terms (if there are terms) of the Rocketboom
              > > EBay auction so I dont know how they have veto power.
              > >
              > > David
              > > http://www.taoofdavid.com
              > >
              > > > I think the big difference in Rocketboom's case is that they are
              > taking
              > > > control. They aren't just 'selling space' to anyone with the money,
              > > they
              > > > are selling space with veto power over it. How many creatives get
              > to do
              > > > that?
              > > >
              > > > Pete
              > > >
              > > > --
              > > > http://tinkernet.org/
              > > > videoblog for the future...

            • Brett Gaylor
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 30, 2006
                I think it totally kicks ass.  bravo.

                there's so much space in this game - if they were off setting their costs by subscription someone else would be whining.

                BUT

                I think we should all be thinking of interesting ways to get micro-payments to work.  because I wouldn't put adds on my personal videblog, but I wanted be above accepting someones "content points" or something for a job well done.

                I look forward to seeing how this develops.

                wrote:

                > Huh?
                >
                > I believe the one with the most $$$ generally wins an auction.
                >
                > I havent looked at the terms (if there are terms) of the Rocketboom
                > EBay auction so I dont know how they have veto power.
                >
                > David
                > http://www.taoofdavid.com
                >
                > > I think the big difference in Rocketboom's case is that they are
                taking
                > > control. They aren't just 'selling space' to anyone with the money,
                > they
                > > are selling space with veto power over it. How many creatives get
                to do
                > > that?
                > >
                > > Pete
                > >
                > > --
                > > http://tinkernet.org/
                > > videoblog for the future...

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                --
                -------
                Brett Gaylor
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 30, 2006
                  Ms. Kitka wrote:
                  > David, I urge you to read the terms of the auction:
                  > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:US:11&item=5661816188
                  >
                  > Rocketboom is not only selling advertising time on their videoblog,
                  > they are making the ads themselves, placing them at the end of their
                  > show and making them in such a way that their viewers will actually
                  > enjoy the ad.
                  >
                  > Why do so many people here think this is such a horrible thing? They
                  > are being creative and taking their audience into consideration all at
                  > the same time. Besides, it's not the first time they've aired
                  > advertisements on their show... they've been doing that for a long
                  > time (my favorite was the Flickr ad).

                  Yup, that's what I was talking about when I said they were taking
                  control. Just for the record, I don't think it's a bad thing, I think
                  it's a great thing.

                  Pete

                  --
                  http://tinkernet.org/
                  videoblog for the future...
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 30, 2006
                    How much would you pay for an ad free version of a video blog you
                    really enjoyed?

                    Bill

                    <taoofdavid@g...> wrote:

                    > I've read the terms.
                    >
                    > You know...maybe this isnt such a bad thing? All those people out
                    > there that dislike advertising on the internet
                    > (http://adblock.mozdev.org/ et al) may just stop visiting vloggers
                    > sites with in-video ads and they will all go to those that arent
                    > showing ads.
                    >
                    > Yes. This may be a good thing.
                    >
                    > David
                    > http://www.taoofdavid.com
                    >
                    > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Ms. Kitka" <mskitka@g...>
                    wrote:

                    > > David, I urge you to read the terms of the auction:
                    > >
                    > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
                    ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:US:11&item=5661816188

                    > > Rocketboom is not only selling advertising time on their
                    videoblog,
                    > > they are making the ads themselves, placing them at the end of
                    their
                    > > show and making them in such a way that their viewers will
                    actually
                    > > enjoy the ad.
                    > >
                    > > Why do so many people here think this is such a horrible thing?
                    They
                    > > are being creative and taking their audience into consideration
                    all at
                    > > the same time. Besides, it's not the first time they've aired
                    > > advertisements on their show... they've been doing that for a
                    long
                    > > time (my favorite was the Flickr ad).
                    > >
                    > > Lighten up people.
                    > > Kitka
                    > >

                    > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "David Howell"
                    <taoofdavid@g...>
                    > > wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Huh?
                    > > >
                    > > > I believe the one with the most $$$ generally wins an auction.
                    > > >
                    > > > I havent looked at the terms (if there are terms) of the
                    Rocketboom
                    > > > EBay auction so I dont know how they have veto power.
                    > > >
                    > > > David
                    > > > http://www.taoofdavid.com

                    > > taking
                    > > > they
                    > > to do

                  • Markus Sandy
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 30, 2006
                      you can take my old tv cable fees and divide it amongst yourselves.

                      actually, take half - then it will seem like a good deal and not just a replacement

                      the problem is: how do we divide it up and pay it out from so many to so many?

                      this problem already has solutions in the music industry; some are mo betta than others, of course

                      wrote:

[...]

                      http://apperceptions.org
                      http://digitaldojo.blogspot.com
                      http://node101.org
                      http://spinflow.org
                      http://wearethemedia.com
                      http://xpressionvlog.blogspot.com

                      aim/ichat: markus.sandy@...
                      msn: msandy@...
                      skype: msandy
                      spin: markus@...

                    • Ronen
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 30, 2006
                        $3 a month?

                        <taoofdavid@g...> wrote:

                        > I've read the terms.
                        >
                        > You know...maybe this isnt such a bad thing? All those people out
                        > there that dislike advertising on the internet
                        > (http://adblock.mozdev.org/ et al) may just stop visiting vloggers
                        > sites with in-video ads and they will all go to those that arent
                        > showing ads.
                        >
                        > Yes. This may be a good thing.
                        >
                        > David
                        > http://www.taoofdavid.com
                        >
                        > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Ms. Kitka" <mskitka@g...>
                        wrote:

                        > > David, I urge you to read the terms of the auction:
                        > >
                        > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
                        ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:US:11&item=5661816188

                        > > Rocketboom is not only selling advertising time on their
                        videoblog,
                        > > they are making the ads themselves, placing them at the end of
                        their
                        > > show and making them in such a way that their viewers will
                        actually
                        > > enjoy the ad.
                        > >
                        > > Why do so many people here think this is such a horrible thing?
                        They
                        > > are being creative and taking their audience into consideration
                        all at
                        > > the same time.  Besides, it's not the first time they've aired
                        > > advertisements on their show... they've been doing that for a
                        long
                        > > time (my favorite was the Flickr ad).
                        > >
                        > > Lighten up people.
                        > > Kitka
                        > >

                        > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "David Howell"
                        <taoofdavid@g...>
                        > > wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Huh?
                        > > >
                        > > > I believe the one with the most $$$ generally wins an auction.
                        > > >
                        > > > I havent looked at the terms (if there are terms) of the
                        Rocketboom
                        > > > EBay auction so I dont know how they have veto power.
                        > > >
                        > > > David
                        > > > http://www.taoofdavid.com

                        > > taking
                        > > > they
                        > > to do

                        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                      • David Howell
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 30, 2006
                          $0.00

                          I already pay enough for cable TV and I am overrun with advertising there.

                          No amount of debate from anyone voicing the virtues of making a quick
                          buck from their online videos is going to change my opinion. Insert
                          the ads in the beginning, in the middle, in the end. I dont care. All
                          I know is that if I come across a vlog, choose to watch a video, and
                          there is a commercial in it, I wont watch that persons video again.

                          Any one that thinks this is a great and fantastic idea...all the more
                          power to ya. To each their own I guess.

                          I'll sign off this conversation now...

                          Boy the way Glen Miller played,
                          Songs that made the hit parade,
                          Guys like us we had it made,
                          Those were the days.

                          And you know where you were then,
                          Girls were girls and men were men,
                          Mister we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again.

                          Didn't need no welfare states,
                          Everybody pulled his weight,
                          Gee our old Lasalle ran great,
                          Those were the days!

                          David
                          http://www.taoofdavid.com

                          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Streeter" <bill@w...> wrote:

                          > How much would you pay for an ad free version of a video blog you
                          > really enjoyed?
                          >
                          > Bill
                          >
                          > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "David Howell"
                          > <taoofdavid@g...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I've read the terms.
                          > >
                          > > You know...maybe this isnt such a bad thing? All those people out
                          > > there that dislike advertising on the internet
                          > > (http://adblock.mozdev.org/ et al) may just stop visiting vloggers
                          > > sites with in-video ads and they will all go to those that arent
                          > > showing ads.
                          > >
                          > > Yes. This may be a good thing.
                          > >
                          > > David
                          > > http://www.taoofdavid.com
                          > >
                          > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Ms. Kitka" <mskitka@g...>
                          > wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > David, I urge you to read the terms of the auction:
                          > > >
                          > > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
                          > ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:US:11&item=5661816188
                          > > >
                          > > > Rocketboom is not only selling advertising time on their
                          > videoblog,
                          > > > they are making the ads themselves, placing them at the end of
                          > their
                          > > > show and making them in such a way that their viewers will
                          > actually
                          > > > enjoy the ad.
                          > > >
                          > > > Why do so many people here think this is such a horrible thing?
                          > They
                          > > > are being creative and taking their audience into consideration
                          > all at
                          > > > the same time. Besides, it's not the first time they've aired
                          > > > advertisements on their show... they've been doing that for a
                          > long
                          > > > time (my favorite was the Flickr ad).
                          > > >
                          > > > Lighten up people.
                          > > > Kitka
                          > > >

                          > > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "David Howell"
                          > <taoofdavid@g...>

                          > Rocketboom

                          > are
                          > > > taking
                          > money,
                          > creatives get
                          > > > to do

                        • Brett Gaylor
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 30, 2006

                            No amount of debate from anyone voicing the virtues of making a quick
                            buck from their online videos is going to change my opinion.

                            The way I see it, they had the stones to gamble for a year making content for free - dropped everything and went after rocketboom. It's not a quick buck.  Like you said, takes all kinds.

                            -------
                            Brett Gaylor
                            http://www.etherworks.ca
                            http://www.homelessnation.org
                          • bofoboho
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 30, 2006
                              I'm sure if you were pulling that many downloads you'd reconsider...

                              wrote:

                              > $0.00
                              >
                              > I already pay enough for cable TV and I am overrun with advertising
                              there.

                              > No amount of debate from anyone voicing the virtues of making a quick
                              > buck from their online videos is going to change my opinion. Insert
                              > the ads in the beginning, in the middle, in the end. I dont care. All
                              > I know is that if I come across a vlog, choose to watch a video, and
                              > there is a commercial in it, I wont watch that persons video again.
                              >
                              > Any one that thinks this is a great and fantastic idea...all the more
                              > power to ya. To each their own I guess.
                              >
                              > I'll sign off this conversation now...
                              >
                              > Boy the way Glen Miller played,
                              > Songs that made the hit parade,
                              > Guys like us we had it made,
                              > Those were the days.
                              >
                              > And you know where you were then,
                              > Girls were girls and men were men,
                              > Mister we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again.
                              >
                              > Didn't need no welfare states,
                              > Everybody pulled his weight,
                              > Gee our old Lasalle ran great,
                              > Those were the days!
                              >
                              > David
                              > http://www.taoofdavid.com
                              >
                              > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Streeter" <bill@w...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > How much would you pay for an ad free version of a video blog you
                              > > really enjoyed?
                              > >
                              > > Bill
                              > >
                              > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "David Howell"
                              > > <taoofdavid@g...> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > I've read the terms.
                              > > >
                              > > > You know...maybe this isnt such a bad thing? All those people out
                              > > > there that dislike advertising on the internet
                              > > > (http://adblock.mozdev.org/ et al) may just stop visiting vloggers
                              > > > sites with in-video ads and they will all go to those that arent
                              > > > showing ads.
                              > > >
                              > > > Yes. This may be a good thing.
                              > > >
                              > > > David
                              > > > http://www.taoofdavid.com
                              > > >
                              > > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Ms. Kitka" <mskitka@g...>

                              > > > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
                              > > ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:US:11&item=5661816188

                              > > videoblog,
                              > > their
                              > > actually

                              > > They
                              > > all at
                              > > long

                              > > <taoofdavid@g...>

                              > > Rocketboom

                              > > are
                              > > money,
                              > > creatives get

                            • Chuck Olsen
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jan 31, 2006
                                David!

                                You have Google ads on your site, as does Minnesota Stories,
                                where you've been kind enough to lend your video.
                                So you must tolerate some degree of ads. Maybe Google ads
                                are unobtrusive and/or you can easily ignore them. Wouldn't the
                                same be true of a video ad, potentially? Esp. after the real content?
                                It's fine to draw the line someplace, but I'm just pointing out you
                                must not be 100% against advertising on vlogs.

                                Minnesota Stories will surely have a video ad someday (please...)
                                preferably something "not evil." Not only to offset the growing costs
                                of my growing audience, but because I'd sure like to do Minnesota
                                Stories for a living if it's possible. It has so much potential, but
                                I don't have the time or resources to give it all the care and feeding
                                it needs to really blossom. Anyway, I hope you don't boycott the
                                site when that happens. Heck, if you want to make a quirky 15 sec
                                promo for your own vlog, I'll run it for a day as an experiment.
                                That's definitely a "not evil" ad, of sorts. Let's imagine and try
                                different ideas.

                                There really aren't a whole lot of options for sustaining a vlog with
                                a bigger audience, esp. if you want to devote all your time to it.
                                Rocketboom is trying two of the main ones, advertising
                                and subscription. The way they're going about advertising is
                                very creative and innovative, I'd say. It's surprising it's taken
                                them this long, given their massive audience and growing costs,
                                to bring in some money.

                                Peace,
                                Chuck
                                http://mnstories.com

                                --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "David Howell" <taoofdavid@g...> wrote:

                                > No amount of debate from anyone voicing the virtues of making a quick
                                > buck from their online videos is going to change my opinion. Insert
                                > the ads in the beginning, in the middle, in the end. I dont care. All
                                > I know is that if I come across a vlog, choose to watch a video, and
                                > there is a commercial in it, I wont watch that persons video again.
                                >
                                > David
                                > http://www.taoofdavid.com
                              • David Howell
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jan 31, 2006
                                  I know that I said that I was going to take my leave of this
                                  conversation but since my bud Chuck has now poked his nose in this...I
                                  gotta reply.

                                  Chuck. I do have Google Ads on my site and you are correct, I am not
                                  completely against ads. You yourself have even complained about CNN
                                  and the method to which they show their ads. No matter the subject.
                                  All their in-video ads are like this. Right?

                                  What bothers me about what could happen with in-video advertising is
                                  this. A vlog sells advertising and dictates that they control how the
                                  ad is displayed. They say the ad will be created by them and only run
                                  at the end of the video. It's a small sum of money. $500. Fine. Ad
                                  runs at the end.

                                  Transition to the future. A larger company becomes involved with this
                                  vloggers site and wants to buy an ad. However, they say that the ads
                                  must preroll the content.
                                  Vlog says "No way man! My site. My rules"
                                  Company says "we will give you $10,000 an ad"
                                  Vlogger thinks..."whoa"
                                  Company "...and we want to buy a years worth of ads"
                                  Vlogger realizes they're about to make a half decent living putting
                                  their home movie on the internet.
                                  Company adds "We have an in-house production team and we have our own ads"

                                  Ok. Vlogger now has the option to take the decent money and do what
                                  the company says or keep doing it their own way and earn a paltry sum.
                                  "Hmm...I'll take what's behind door number..."

                                  I have bills to pay. My wife is in the hospital right now. Thank god I
                                  have a job and pretty good insurance. But, should I be trying to make
                                  a living at vlogging, damn straight, I would probably take that money
                                  and run right now.

                                  A little personal history. I have a BFA. I used to do my art and sell
                                  my paintings for a living. I made a good living. One day an agent came
                                  calling and started representing me. Dealing my work to galleries
                                  across Canada and the States. My work became more popular and the
                                  demand for my paintings increased. "More paintings...more paintings"
                                  my agent would tell me. I was making an obscene amount of money and I
                                  was in my early 20's. Agent threw money at me and I did what he said.
                                  That lasted for about 10 years until it became too much and I stopped
                                  painting. Too much pressure to create. Meltdown. Today, if I get out a
                                  sketchbook and pencil, my hand shakes. I can't draw anymore. The thing
                                  that I once loved to do is gone because I couldnt say no to the money.
                                  I'm a Systems Administrator now. I hate it.

                                  Money. Art. Advertising. Morals.

                                  It's a fine line that people that decide to sell advertising in their
                                  videos will have to walk. I dont have an answer. I failed when it came
                                  to a decision of money over art and a balance between the two.

                                  Allow me to end with this. Chuck. Minnesota Stories. Sure...make a
                                  promo for Tao of David. Run it at the end. That's cool. All pro bono
                                  and let's see how it goes. If I get a substantial increase in traffic
                                  to my site, I'll purchase some in-video ad space from you and see how
                                  that is. Maybe the next ad, I'll make it. I can get lucky sometimes
                                  and do some half decent editing. Of course I'll pay more than that
                                  last ad. Play it at the beginning though. I want to ensure people see
                                  it. Or, how about I buy six months of ads. Different ones you know?
                                  Let's run some at the end...some the beginning. Maybe even on one of
                                  the vids, front and back. I'll pay a little more for that one. Oh...by
                                  the way. One of those videos you had on the site during my ad run, I
                                  didnt really like. Not sure I agree with what the guy says on his
                                  personal site. Little too right wing for my tastes. Y'know? Might want
                                  to think about not showing his videos in the future. And...

                                  David
                                  http://www.taoofdavid.com

                                  --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Olsen"
                                  <reallystinkyguy@y...> wrote:

                                  > David!
                                  >
                                  > You have Google ads on your site, as does Minnesota Stories,
                                  > where you've been kind enough to lend your video.
                                  > So you must tolerate some degree of ads. Maybe Google ads
                                  > are unobtrusive and/or you can easily ignore them. Wouldn't the
                                  > same be true of a video ad, potentially? Esp. after the real content?
                                  > It's fine to draw the line someplace, but I'm just pointing out you
                                  > must not be 100% against advertising on vlogs.
                                  >
                                  > Minnesota Stories will surely have a video ad someday (please...)
                                  > preferably something "not evil." Not only to offset the growing costs
                                  > of my growing audience, but because I'd sure like to do Minnesota
                                  > Stories for a living if it's possible. It has so much potential, but
                                  > I don't have the time or resources to give it all the care and feeding
                                  > it needs to really blossom. Anyway, I hope you don't boycott the
                                  > site when that happens. Heck, if you want to make a quirky 15 sec
                                  > promo for your own vlog, I'll run it for a day as an experiment.
                                  > That's definitely a "not evil" ad, of sorts. Let's imagine and try
                                  > different ideas.
                                  >
                                  > There really aren't a whole lot of options for sustaining a vlog with
                                  > a bigger audience, esp. if you want to devote all your time to it.
                                  > Rocketboom is trying two of the main ones, advertising
                                  > and subscription. The way they're going about advertising is
                                  > very creative and innovative, I'd say. It's surprising it's taken
                                  > them this long, given their massive audience and growing costs,
                                  > to bring in some money.
                                  >
                                  > Peace,
                                  > Chuck
                                  > http://mnstories.com
                                  >
                                  > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "David Howell"
                                  <taoofdavid@g...> wrote:

                                  > > No amount of debate from anyone voicing the virtues of making a quick
                                  > > buck from their online videos is going to change my opinion. Insert
                                  > > the ads in the beginning, in the middle, in the end. I dont care. All
                                  > > I know is that if I come across a vlog, choose to watch a video, and
                                  > > there is a commercial in it, I wont watch that persons video again.
                                  > >
                                  > > David
                                  > > http://www.taoofdavid.com

                                • Bill Streeter
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jan 31, 2006
                                    Umm I don't think anyone is trying to make a "quick" buck. And even
                                    if say Rocketboom made some money I doubt that it could be
                                    considered quick at this point. We're talking about sustainability
                                    here. Not get rich quick schemes. They've been at it for over a year
                                    with no revenue. So you don't think that anyone should say even be
                                    able to recoup production or bandwidth costs some how (and I'm not
                                    talking about just advertising--subscription or donation models
                                    could work too)? Why would you think that? How about if someone is
                                    able to make a living for themselves doing something they love to do
                                    and are good at? Isn't it better that people have these
                                    opportunities to make a living doing creative work they enjoy than
                                    to have to support themselves by doing work that they wouldn't
                                    necessarily choose if they didn't need to support themselves?

                                    I guess my question is why are you so opposed to anyone making any
                                    money off of his or her own work? Do you believe in paying for
                                    anything ever?

                                    Bill Streeter
                                    LO-FI SAINT LOUIS
                                    www.lofistl.com

                                    <taoofdavid@g...> wrote:

                                    > $0.00
                                    >
                                    > I already pay enough for cable TV and I am overrun with
                                    advertising there.

                                    > No amount of debate from anyone voicing the virtues of making a
                                    quick
                                    > buck from their online videos is going to change my opinion. Insert
                                    > the ads in the beginning, in the middle, in the end. I dont care.
                                    All
                                    > I know is that if I come across a vlog, choose to watch a video,
                                    and
                                    > there is a commercial in it, I wont watch that persons video again.
                                    >
                                    > Any one that thinks this is a great and fantastic idea...all the
                                    more
                                    > power to ya. To each their own I guess.
                                    >
                                    > I'll sign off this conversation now...
                                    >
                                    > Boy the way Glen Miller played,
                                    > Songs that made the hit parade,
                                    > Guys like us we had it made,
                                    > Those were the days.
                                    >
                                    > And you know where you were then,
                                    > Girls were girls and men were men,
                                    > Mister we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again.
                                    >
                                    > Didn't need no welfare states,
                                    > Everybody pulled his weight,
                                    > Gee our old Lasalle ran great,
                                    > Those were the days!
                                    >
                                    > David
                                    > http://www.taoofdavid.com
                                    >
                                    > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Streeter" <bill@w...>
                                    wrote:

                                    > > How much would you pay for an ad free version of a video blog
                                    you
                                    > > really enjoyed?
                                    > >
                                    > > Bill
                                    > >
                                    > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "David Howell"
                                    > > <taoofdavid@g...> wrote:
                                    > > >
                                    > > > I've read the terms.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > You know...maybe this isnt such a bad thing? All those people
                                    out
                                    > > > there that dislike advertising on the internet
                                    > > > (http://adblock.mozdev.org/ et al) may just stop visiting
                                    vloggers
                                    > > > sites with in-video ads and they will all go to those that
                                    arent
                                    > > > showing ads.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Yes. This may be a good thing.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > David
                                    > > > http://www.taoofdavid.com
                                    > > >
                                    > > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Ms. Kitka"
                                    <mskitka@g...>

                                    > > > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
                                    > > ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:US:11&item=5661816188

                                    > > videoblog,
                                    > > their
                                    > > actually

                                    > > They
                                    > > all at
                                    > > long

                                    > > <taoofdavid@g...>

                                    > > Rocketboom

                                    > > are
                                    > > money,
                                    > > creatives get

                                  • Chuck Olsen
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jan 31, 2006
                                      Hey Dave,

                                      Wow. Thanks for sharing your personal history. You've been through the ringer.

                                      I agree... danger lurks ahead. Tradeoffs will be tempting.

                                      But I (naiviely?) believe we can navigate the minefield.

                                      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "David Howell" <taoofdavid@g...> wrote:

                                      > I know that I said that I was going to take my leave of this
                                      > conversation but since my bud Chuck has now poked his nose in this...I
                                      > gotta reply.

                                    • David Howell
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jan 31, 2006
                                        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Olsen"
                                        I hope so too.

                                        I would love to see anyone that does what they love to do earn a
                                        living off it.

                                        I was asked once, "if money was not an object, what would you want to
                                        do for a living?" I said "live off the sale of my paintings".

                                        I got what I asked for. At the time, I probably wasnt quite ready for
                                        the ramifications of what that all meant.

                                        I guess in the long run, my adverse reaction to the whole advertising
                                        plan and vloggers is that I sincerely hope not to see happen to anyone
                                        else, what had happened to me. It certainly isnt jealousy as some had
                                        alluded to.

                                        Thanks

                                        David
                                        http://www.taoofdavid.com

                                        <reallystinkyguy@y...> wrote:

                                        > Hey Dave,
                                        >
                                        > Wow. Thanks for sharing your personal history. You've been through
                                        the ringer.

                                        > I agree... danger lurks ahead. Tradeoffs will be tempting.
                                        >
                                        > But I (naiviely?) believe we can navigate the minefield.
                                        >
                                        > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "David Howell"
                                        <taoofdavid@g...> wrote:

                                        > > I know that I said that I was going to take my leave of this
                                        > > conversation but since my bud Chuck has now poked his nose in this...I
                                        > > gotta reply.

                                      • Stephanie Bryant
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jan 31, 2006
                                          So, David, it's not the money you have a problem with. It's the
                                          influence that money brings.

                                          I wonder if other motivators/value-markers that can also influence
                                          content are as soul-destroying.

                                          For instance: I love my husband. Our love is generally a positive
                                          thing. BUT: his influence has changed/removed some of my vlog content.
                                          Is that a bad thing or not?

                                          I'm also motivated by audience comments-- I love it when people say
                                          stuff about my vlog! Don't we all just love the attention sometimes?
                                          Is fame/attention a negative motivator? If "the fans" want one thing
                                          in particular from you, at what point is it as damaging as when the
                                          corporations want you to dance to their own tune for pay? I know many
                                          writers who have answered the cries of their fans to the point where
                                          their work is virtually unreadable, so full of fan-insertions,
                                          in-jokes, and repetitions of the same tired stories and characters.
                                          This happens in TV all the time, and movies to a lesser degree,
                                          because both of those are much greater financial risks. In novels,
                                          however, publishers are willing to risk a certain amount of money on
                                          the percentage of the fans who are guaranteed to buy the book. At what
                                          point does the author say "no, that's just not what I should write
                                          anymore"? Even without the monetary incentive-- the fans are crying
                                          for it! [Case in point: the Firefly, Season Two campaign that's going
                                          on right now, despite Joss Whedon's assurances that Serenity was the
                                          end.]

                                          Err... but I digress.

                                          I'm less conscious of money than I should be-- even though it's a
                                          direct, value-oriented thing, I have a hard time keeping it in the
                                          forefront of my brain. Which is not to say I don't love money and the
                                          things I can do with it (mostly purchasing small, expensive electronic
                                          gizmos). But rather, money is only motivating to a point:

                                          Money is a major motivator when you can't afford to buy a baked potato
                                          for lunch.
                                          Money is a strong motivator when you're barely able to afford health insurance.
                                          Money stops motivating most people when they can cover their bills and
                                          tuck a small amount (never enough) into a savings account, and provide
                                          for their children, if applicable. For childless folks, money is even
                                          less motivating-- once I have enough to carry me into my nineties,
                                          exactly what more do I need?

                                          I would say that someone giving me $10,000 to run ads on my videoblog
                                          would just convince me to turn that particular domain into their
                                          corporate mouthpiece. Which is fine-- I have never been so proud that
                                          I was unwilling to sell what few talents I have for cash. When I was
                                          fifteen and in the throes of "teenaged writer angst," I was still
                                          looking forward to the day I envisioned, of myself selling ad copy as
                                          a corporate shill. Hey, it's only soul-destroying if you let it touch
                                          your soul.

                                          If I were given $10K for my vlog, I'd probably shortly start up my own
                                          personal free vlog space elsewhere, basically starting over, because
                                          I'd still need my own voice somewhere, independent and without strings
                                          attached. And, well, the corporation would probably need to have it in
                                          the contract that I'd update their vlog more often than my own,
                                          because if not, I know which one is more interesting to me to update
                                          anyway....

                                          --Stephanie

                                          --
                                          Stephanie Bryant
                                          mortaine@...
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jan 31, 2006
                                            You know. I never said to anyone that they shouldnt take money for
                                            advertising on their blog/vlog/whatever you want to call what you do
                                            on your website.

                                            I am just saying be conscious of what you are taking the money for.

                                            I could go on with another story about when I ran an internet radio
                                            station back in the day and was bought out with advertising and the
                                            likes. But I aint going to bore anyone else with my stories.

                                            Suffice it to say that if every vlogger out there snags some sort of
                                            deal and gets paid to vlog, then kudos for you. Good on ya. Ride it as
                                            far as you can and then go the extra 200 feet.

                                            Every Tom, Dick, and Harry can reply to this subject with their
                                            thoughts and ideas and opinions until the cows come home. I'm done
                                            with it. I have to go and spend some time in the Mayo with my wife and
                                            try to make some of her time enjoyable and bareable.

                                            Thanks, be well and take care.

                                            David
                                            http://www.taoofdavid.com

                                            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Stephanie Bryant <mortaine@g...>
                                            wrote:

> [...]
                                            > your soul.
                                            >
                                            > If I were given $10K for my vlog, I'd probably shortly start up my own
                                            > personal free vlog space elsewhere, basically starting over, because
                                            > I'd still need my own voice somewhere, independent and without strings
                                            > attached. And, well, the corporation would probably need to have it in
                                            > the contract that I'd update their vlog more often than my own,
                                            > because if not, I know which one is more interesting to me to update
                                            > anyway....
                                            >
                                            > --Stephanie
                                            >
                                            > On 1/31/06, David Howell <taoofdavid@g...> wrote:
                                            > > What bothers me about what could happen with in-video advertising is
                                            > > this. A vlog sells advertising and dictates that they control how the
                                            > > ad is displayed. They say the ad will be created by them and only run
                                            > > at the end of the video. It's a small sum of money. $500. Fine. Ad

                                          • doron
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Feb 1, 2006
                                              i get the feeling that history is unfolding in front of our eyes.
                                              awesome !!
                                            • Ronen
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Feb 1, 2006
                                                On 2/1/06, doron <d@...> wrote:
                                                i get the feeling that history is unfolding in front of our eyes.
                                                awesome !!

                                                indeed.

                                                Interesting to see who's bidding

                                                Individual Fireant Use