Re: [videoblogging] XXX on Blip.tv

  • Loiez D.
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 1, 2006
      The porn is not authorized on Dailymotion. Dailymotion is a French
      company. For an open site under 18 years old it's the French law.
      There is moderators on Daily and you can announce an abuse under
      each video (porn, racism..)

      Loiez (Because i am also a father)

      Le 1 janv. 06 à 09:37, Paul Knight a écrit :

      > On the subject of Pornography, something seems to have slipped through
      > the net and landed writhing on the pages of blip.tv It is also
      > happening in Dailymotion.
    • Paul Knight
      Message 2 of 29 , Jan 1, 2006
        good one

        On 2 Jan 2006, at 00:32, Richard Bennett-Forrest wrote:

        > At 23:03 +0000 1/1/06, Paul Knight wrote:
        > >I should get paid for this you know.
        >
        > Does "paid out" count?

        > Individual
        > Fireant
        > Typepad
        > Use
        >
        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        >
        > ▪  Visit your group "videoblogging" on the web.

        > Service.

        Do yourself a favour and Visit my Vlog

        http://pjkproductions.blogspot.com

        It's worth a laugh and work friendly.
      • Michael Sullivan
        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 1, 2006
          There's also a deluge of spam on open systems.  Actions to hold it
          back are worthy.

          Spam, Dupes, Tests, and non-vlog video content are some of the reasons why I have chosen not to pull in all the 'feeds' that exist out there onto my site at vlogdir.com.  Someone needs to take a few minutes of their time to add a videoblog entry to vlogdir.  This person, so far 99.9% of the time, is typcially the vlog/channel author.  They are interested to share and expose their content.
          My letting VLOGDIR be a user-driven and thus commuity-driven directory, it acts as a very passive filter.  I dont have to worry about removing crap... once or twice I had to remove a commercial entry that was not a vlog, just some infomercial... but I deal with it as they come in.
          If I took in all the feeds from all the different sites out there, i'd have a headache that i dont need.... and more noise in the directory for the audience.    Though vlogdir is an open system, at this point i see a benefit to not sucking in a spitting out every single rs feed that may exist across a group of video hosting sites.  Less is More and all that.   I'm not saying it is right or wrong, just is what it is right now based on my opinion.... and specifically related to the core directory.  I could in an hour or so build a new page that takes in all the newest video posted and generate and aggreagate an RSS feed for it.  I might do that actually.  But that would be just a vlogospheric feed and not the actual directory.  So, their are ways to make availabel the actual video content that is being spewed out from all over... without potentially corrupting a directory with the everything and anything system.
          I have not had any porn vlogs added to vlogdir but if they come, i'll evaluate what to do (go ahead, insert joke here).

          On 1/1/06, Enric < enric@...> wrote:
          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Halcyon Lujah <halcyon@c...> wrote:

          > Wellll....
          >
          > as a part-time professional pornographer, I feel like I should say
          > *something*...
          >
          > Sexual content is just a type of content.  Like extreme sports.  If it
          > is labeled properly, I don't see the problem.
          >
          > Of course, if a site says , "NO PORN" then they have to undertake the
          > tide-fighting battle tof trying to keep adult off of an open system.

          There's also a deluge of spam on open systems.  Actions to hold it
          back are worthy.

            -- Enric

          > I know that Veoh.com allows adult and gives you the ability to tag it
          > as such.  That way, unles you change your default settings, you would
          > never see the risque content in searches or on the site.
          >
          > -Halcyon
          > www.SpreadingThePink.com
          > www.PinkBroadcasting.com
          >

          > On 1/1/06, Paul Knight < paul.knight7@b...> wrote:
          > > Dear all,
          > >
          > > On the subject of Pornography, something seems to have slipped through
          > > the net and landed writhing on the pages of blip.tv It is also
          > > happening in Dailymotion.  Although a lot softer core.  The video I am
          > > talking about is called XXX and was posted by LeNoX.  I don't know
          > > about you but, although I have nothing against pornography, but for me
          > > these video sites both blip and dailymotion used to be a safe
          haven for
          > > me away from porn where I could concentrate, more on artistic
          value and
          > > creativity rather than having to suppress the urge to run to the
          > > bathroom every five minutes for tissue paper.  I have found that the
          > > worst thing you need when you have vloggers block is to get sucked
          into
          > > porn.  Or maybe I take this whole thing a bit too seriously, I wish to
          > > make films, I wish to share my creativity, it's enough when corpo's
          > > come on ranting about companies, I think that sucks also, big time.
          > >
          > > Paul Knight
          > >

          > > Do yourself a favour and Visit my Vlog
          > >
          > > http://pjkproductions.blogspot.com
          > >
          > > It's worth a laugh and work friendly.

          > www.SpreadingThePink.com

          Yahoo! Groups Links

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          --
          sull
          "The hybrid or the meeting of two media is a moment of truth and revelation from which new form is born"
          Message 4 of 29 , Jan 1, 2006
            We (you know who) replace the pornographic feed's thumbnail with an advisory-style image so the content isn't censored, or filtered, but at least grandma, or little joey don't have bare asses, etc thrown in their faces.

            We have to do this manually right now, and if the content is really nasty then we'd pull it.
            ...the porn, pull the porn off the site that is.  (Yeesh, hard to avoid the puns isn't it.)

            On 1/1/06, Enric < enric@...> wrote:
            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Halcyon Lujah <halcyon@c...> wrote:

            > Wellll....
            >
            > as a part-time professional pornographer, I feel like I should say
            > *something*...
            >
            > Sexual content is just a type of content.  Like extreme sports.  If it
            > is labeled properly, I don't see the problem.
            >
            > Of course, if a site says , "NO PORN" then they have to undertake the
            > tide-fighting battle tof trying to keep adult off of an open system.

            There's also a deluge of spam on open systems.  Actions to hold it
            back are worthy.

              -- Enric

            > I know that Veoh.com allows adult and gives you the ability to tag it
            > as such.  That way, unles you change your default settings, you would
            > never see the risque content in searches or on the site.
            >
            > -Halcyon
            > www.SpreadingThePink.com
            > www.PinkBroadcasting.com
            >

            > On 1/1/06, Paul Knight < paul.knight7@b...> wrote:
            > > Dear all,
            > >
            > > On the subject of Pornography, something seems to have slipped through
            > > the net and landed writhing on the pages of blip.tv It is also
            > > happening in Dailymotion.  Although a lot softer core.  The video I am
            > > talking about is called XXX and was posted by LeNoX.  I don't know
            > > about you but, although I have nothing against pornography, but for me
            > > these video sites both blip and dailymotion used to be a safe
            haven for
            > > me away from porn where I could concentrate, more on artistic
            value and
            > > creativity rather than having to suppress the urge to run to the
            > > bathroom every five minutes for tissue paper.  I have found that the
            > > worst thing you need when you have vloggers block is to get sucked
            into
            > > porn.  Or maybe I take this whole thing a bit too seriously, I wish to
            > > make films, I wish to share my creativity, it's enough when corpo's
            > > come on ranting about companies, I think that sucks also, big time.
            > >
            > > Paul Knight
            > >

            > > Do yourself a favour and Visit my Vlog
            > >
            > > http://pjkproductions.blogspot.com
            > >
            > > It's worth a laugh and work friendly.

            > www.SpreadingThePink.com

            Yahoo! Groups Links

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            --
            sull
            "The hybrid or the meeting of two media is a moment of truth and revelation from which new form is born"
            http://vlogdir.com - The Videoblog Directory
            http://videobloggers.org - Free Videoblog Hosting / Vlogosphere Aggregator
            http://interdigitate.com - on again off again personal vlog

            Individual Fireant Typepad
            Use

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            --
            ~Devlon
            Blog: http://devlond.blogspot.com/
            Vlog: http://8bitme.blogspot.com

            http://mefeedia.com/ -OR- http://mefeedia.com/blog/
          • Stephanie Bryant
            Message 5 of 29 , Jan 2, 2006
              Eddie,

              As of last week, the secondary producer clause was struck down (yay!).
              Blip.tv can't get into trouble for some jerk posting porn to their
              service.

              I say "can't," but everyone needs to be aware that individual DA's
              have prosecuted (and persecuted) people for selling/providing adult
              material even when the material was not sold, targeted, distributed or
              otherwise meant for their local community. So, while the law no longer
              requires blip.tv to have all the underage reporting and documentation,
              that's no guarantee that some overzealous "porn task force" at the FBI
              won't decide to take it upon themselves to go after them, and the
              resulting legal quagmire can land Enric and all the blip.tv servers in
              court for years. Also, if some jerk posts child porn, Enric has to
              remove it immediately, even if it's not theirs. [And it'd be smart to
              call the cops if that happened, in case you can track down the source
              and fry them over an open grill.]

              We've been watching this very closely in my house, since hubby's biz
              depends on it. Check freespeechcoalition.com for updates on free
              speech issues in the adult industry if you're interested.

              --
              Stephanie Bryant
              mortaine@...
              Message 6 of 29 , Jan 2, 2006
                Stephanie,

                Can you point me to any documentation on this "secondary producer
                clause" and what it means?

                I've been wondering about how sites like iFilm.com and YouTube.com
                persist seemingly without liability even though they willfully display
                content they have no right to broadcast (SNL clips and other content
                they do not have permission to distribute).

                Does this clause cover sites like this or does it only relate to pornography?

                -Josh

                On 1/2/06, Stephanie Bryant <mortaine@...> wrote:
                > Eddie,
                >
                > As of last week, the secondary producer clause was struck down (yay!).
                > Blip.tv can't get into trouble for some jerk posting porn to their
                > service.
                >
                > I say "can't," but everyone needs to be aware that individual DA's
                > have prosecuted (and persecuted) people for selling/providing adult
                > material even when the material was not sold, targeted, distributed or
                > otherwise meant for their local community. So, while the law no longer
                > requires blip.tv to have all the underage reporting and documentation,
                > that's no guarantee that some overzealous "porn task force" at the FBI
                > won't decide to take it upon themselves to go after them, and the
                > resulting legal quagmire can land Enric and all the blip.tv servers in
                > court for years. Also, if some jerk posts child porn, Enric has to
                > remove it immediately, even if it's not theirs. [And it'd be smart to
                > call the cops if that happened, in case you can track down the source
                > and fry them over an open grill.]
                >
                > We've been watching this very closely in my house, since hubby's biz
                > depends on it. Check freespeechcoalition.com for updates on free
                > speech issues in the adult industry if you're interested.
                >
                > On 1/1/06, Eddie Codel <eddie@...> wrote:
                > > Seems like a bigger issue is how does someone like blip or Veoh deal
                > > with the newly expanded 2257 reporting requirements? Wouldn't they be considered a
                > > "secondary producer" in the eyes of the feds?
                >
                > --
                > Stephanie Bryant
                > mortaine@...
                > Vlog: http://mortaine.blogspot.com
                > Audioblog: http://bookramble.blogspot.com

              • Halcyon Lujah
                Message 7 of 29 , Jan 2, 2006
                  Secondary producer is a part of the 2257 wording which (in my
                  understanding) is strictlly for porn, and used under the pretense of
                  stopping child porn. (age of performers documentation, etc.)

                  It is not related to using others' content.

                  -Halcyon

                  On 1/2/06, Joshua Kinberg <jkinberg@...> wrote:
                  > Stephanie,
                  >
                  > Can you point me to any documentation on this "secondary producer
                  > clause" and what it means?
                  >
                  > I've been wondering about how sites like iFilm.com and YouTube.com
                  > persist seemingly without liability even though they willfully display
                  > content they have no right to broadcast (SNL clips and other content
                  > they do not have permission to distribute).
                  >
                  > Does this clause cover sites like this or does it only relate to pornography?
                  >
                  > -Josh
                  >

                  > On 1/2/06, Stephanie Bryant <mortaine@...> wrote:
                  > > Eddie,
                  > >
                  > > As of last week, the secondary producer clause was struck down (yay!).
                  > > Blip.tv can't get into trouble for some jerk posting porn to their
                  > > service.
                  > >
                  > > I say "can't," but everyone needs to be aware that individual DA's
                  > > have prosecuted (and persecuted) people for selling/providing adult
                  > > material even when the material was not sold, targeted, distributed or
                  > > otherwise meant for their local community. So, while the law no longer
                  > > requires blip.tv to have all the underage reporting and documentation,
                  > > that's no guarantee that some overzealous "porn task force" at the FBI
                  > > won't decide to take it upon themselves to go after them, and the
                  > > resulting legal quagmire can land Enric and all the blip.tv servers in
                  > > court for years. Also, if some jerk posts child porn, Enric has to
                  > > remove it immediately, even if it's not theirs. [And it'd be smart to
                  > > call the cops if that happened, in case you can track down the source
                  > > and fry them over an open grill.]
                  > >
                  > > We've been watching this very closely in my house, since hubby's biz
                  > > depends on it. Check freespeechcoalition.com for updates on free
                  > > speech issues in the adult industry if you're interested.
                  > >
                  > > On 1/1/06, Eddie Codel <eddie@...> wrote:
                  > > > Seems like a bigger issue is how does someone like blip or Veoh deal
                  > > > with the newly expanded 2257 reporting requirements? Wouldn't they be considered a
                  > > > "secondary producer" in the eyes of the feds?
                  > >
                  > > --
                  > > Stephanie Bryant
                  > > mortaine@...
                  > > Vlog: http://mortaine.blogspot.com
                  > > Audioblog: http://bookramble.blogspot.com

                  www.SpreadingThePink.com
                • Enric
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jan 2, 2006
                    --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Stephanie Bryant <mortaine@g...>
                    wrote:

                    > Eddie,
                    >
                    > As of last week, the secondary producer clause was struck down (yay!).
                    > Blip.tv can't get into trouble for some jerk posting porn to their
                    > service.
                    >
                    > I say "can't," but everyone needs to be aware that individual DA's
                    > have prosecuted (and persecuted) people for selling/providing adult
                    > material even when the material was not sold, targeted, distributed or
                    > otherwise meant for their local community. So, while the law no longer
                    > requires blip.tv to have all the underage reporting and documentation,
                    > that's no guarantee that some overzealous "porn task force" at the FBI
                    > won't decide to take it upon themselves to go after them, and the
                    > resulting legal quagmire can land Enric and all the blip.tv servers in
                    > court for years. Also, if some jerk posts child porn, Enric has to
                    > remove it immediately, even if it's not theirs. [And it'd be smart to
                    > call the cops if that happened, in case you can track down the source
                    > and fry them over an open grill.]

                    LOL, Stephanie. I don't work at blip.tv or have a open server for
                    video content.

                    ;),

                    Enric
                    -===-
                    Determine Media
                    http://www.cirne.com

                    Message 9 of 29 , Jan 2, 2006
                      My mistake-- sorry. I've been away from vlogging for too long and
                      forgot everyone's "face."

                      --
                      Stephanie Bryant
                      mortaine@...
                      Vlog: http://mortaine.blogspot.com
                      Audioblog: http://bookramble.blogspot.com
                    • Markus Sandy
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jan 2, 2006
                        wrote:

                        ... and the
                        resulting legal quagmire can land Enric and all the blip.tv servers ...

                        LOL, Stephanie.  I don't work at blip.tv or have a open server for
                        video content.

                        actually, i was wondering about this too - i think she is referring to your original post where "enric" appears in the urls:

                        Enric wrote:
                        LeNxO, http://enric.blip.tv/posts/?user=LeNxO, has reposted that porn
                        as "Nothing good", http://enric.blip.tv/file/8074.  There's also at
                        least one other new porn entry, firstcast, http://blip.tv/file/8082.

                        http://apperceptions.org
                        http://digitaldojo.blogspot.com
                        http://node101.org
                        http://spinflow.org
                        http://wearethemedia.com
                        http://xpressionvlog.blogspot.com

                        aim/ichat: markus.sandy@...
                        msn: msandy@...
                        skype: msandy
                        spin: markus@...

                      • Stephanie Bryant
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jan 2, 2006
                          As Halcyon said-- this is only relating to pornography, not copyright.

                          Under the new rules, sites that redistribute adult content (including
                          websites) would have had to maintain a separate copy of the
                          documentation (drivers license, model release form, age verification
                          form) of each actor appearing in every item they publish. Previously,
                          this documentation was only kept by the studio producing the material.
                          On the back of every porn DVD and in the fine print on every primary
                          producing adult website, you can find an address where these records
                          could be inspected during business hours. Any adult studio maintains
                          these records as a matter of their business practices. To require it
                          of every website owner who scans and posts a DVD cover for purposes of
                          selling that DVD is a fast way to putting porn websites out of
                          business or offshore (the way the rules were changed, without any
                          congressional oversight, means that there cannot be a significant
                          financial impact of the rules change-- Gonzales basically lied
                          flat-out in changing these rules when he said they didn't have an
                          impact).

                          Anyway, here's a fun entanglement with copyright, though: Under
                          current copyright laws, a copyright violation is a civil offense,
                          resulting in civil damages (fines). However, if the secondary producer
                          clause had remained, someone copying a DVD and re-publishing it would
                          not just be a copyright violation. The aggrieved party could then call
                          the FBI, tell the FBI "they don't have documentation" and have the
                          offender thrown in prison. The first offense is worth 5 years of hard
                          time. Each subsequent offense is worth 10 years, and the rules were
                          supposedly retroactive, meaning they could get you for not having
                          documentation even before you were required to keep it. I think most
                          of us can agree that 10 years in prison for breaking a copyright on a
                          legal product is excessive (10 years in prison for breaking child porn
                          laws is not).

                          These rules, by the way, don't actually catch child pornographers, who
                          work outside of the adult entertainment industry. The industry polices
                          its own and effectively shuts out anyone with ties to child porn.

                          --Stephanie

                          Message 12 of 29 , Jan 2, 2006
                            Yeah-- my boneheaded mistake. I know better, too!

                            --Steph

                            --
                            Stephanie Bryant
                            mortaine@...
                            Vlog: http://mortaine.blogspot.com
                            Audioblog: http://bookramble.blogspot.com
                          • Andreas Haugstrup
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jan 2, 2006
                              On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 23:28:15 +0100, Stephanie Bryant <mortaine@...>
                              wrote:

                              > time. Each subsequent offense is worth 10 years, and the rules were
                              > supposedly retroactive, meaning they could get you for not having
                              > documentation even before you were required to keep it.

                              I'd like to call bullshit on that. Democracies have checks in place to
                              avoid retroactive legislation. As I refuse to believe the USA to have a
                              system silly enough to allow this kind of legislation I looked it up. And
                              indeed retroactive legislation is "Prohibited by Article I section 9
                              (applying to federal law) and section 10 (applying to state law) of the
                              U.S. Constitution."

                              - Andreas, watching FUD at work.

                                That was an EXCELLENT summary of 2257! Well said!

                                -Halcyon

                                Message 15 of 29 , Jan 2, 2006
                                  Wooof!! nicely siad andreas,

                                  By the way it was me who posted this originally.... Leave Enric alone,
                                  he's a nice guy.

                                  Paul

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jan 2, 2006
                                    On 1/2/06, Andreas Haugstrup <solitude@...> wrote:
                                    > On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 23:28:15 +0100, Stephanie Bryant <mortaine@...>
                                    > wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > time. Each subsequent offense is worth 10 years, and the rules were
                                    > > supposedly retroactive, meaning they could get you for not having
                                    > > documentation even before you were required to keep it.
                                    >
                                    > I'd like to call bullshit on that. Democracies have checks in place to
                                    > avoid retroactive legislation. As I refuse to believe the USA to have a
                                    > system silly enough to allow this kind of legislation I looked it up. And
                                    > indeed retroactive legislation is "Prohibited by Article I section 9
                                    > (applying to federal law) and section 10 (applying to state law) of the
                                    > U.S. Constitution."

                                    Feel free, Andreas. Calling bullshit on it is exactly what the Free
                                    Speech Coalition's been doing since day 1. What you have to understand
                                    is that this was not a law that was passed by Congress. It's a change
                                    to the rules that an old law gave the DOJ the power to make. The rules
                                    change underwent only the barest amount of oversight, and now the
                                    system of checks and balances has to go to work to overturn it and
                                    show it to be unconstitutional.

                                    In the original rules, there could be a situation in which an underage
                                    actor appeared in a work and was later discovered to be underage (a la
                                    Traci Lords). Destroying copies of that work from the records-keeping
                                    files would be an offense worth 10 years in prison, but keeping a copy
                                    of that work would be a child pornography charge, also worth
                                    significant prison time. An exception was quickly articulated for such
                                    cases, but the original rules, as written, were terrible, draconian,
                                    and full of clauses to criminalize an otherwise legitimate industry.

                                    Oh, and the clause that will require independent webcam girls to
                                    publish their business addresses (usually also their private homes) on
                                    the Internet still stands, with the argument that nobody's been killed
                                    yet, so these women don't deserve the most basic privacy protection.

                                    This isn't FUD. It's what's happening. Nobody wants to cover it in the
                                    mainstream press, because the law in question has the word "underage"
                                    in it, so the most simplistic sound-byte impression is that if you
                                    oppose these rules, then you're in favor of child porn. That's the
                                    real FUD.

                                    --Stephanie

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jan 2, 2006
                                      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Markus Sandy <markus@a...> wrote:

                                      > Enric wrote:
                                      >
                                      > >--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Stephanie Bryant <mortaine@g...>
                                      > >wrote:
                                      > >

                                      > >>... and the
                                      > >>resulting legal quagmire can land Enric and all the blip.tv
                                      servers ...

                                      > >LOL, Stephanie. I don't work at blip.tv or have a open server for
                                      > >video content.
                                      > >

                                      > actually, i was wondering about this too - i think she is referring to
                                      > your original post where "enric" appears in the urls:
                                      >
                                      > Enric wrote:
                                      >
                                      > >LeNxO, http://enric.blip.tv/posts/?user=LeNxO, has reposted that porn
                                      > >as "Nothing good", http://enric.blip.tv/file/8074. There's also at
                                      > >least one other new porn entry, firstcast, http://blip.tv/file/8082.

                                      Ha, yea I missed the reference that searches from your blog on blip.tv
                                      reference from one's blog landing page (i.e., "enric.blip.tv"). I
                                      should have searched from the blip.tv home page. I can see it would
                                      confuse the authoring source.

                                      -- Enric

                                      > --
                                      >
                                      > My name is Markus Sandy and I am app.etitio.us
                                      >
                                      > http://apperceptions.org
                                      > http://digitaldojo.blogspot.com
                                      > http://node101.org
                                      > http://spinflow.org
                                      > http://wearethemedia.com
                                      > http://xpressionvlog.blogspot.com
                                      >
                                      > aim/ichat: markus.sandy@m...
                                      > msn: msandy@a...
                                      > skype: msandy
                                      > spin: markus@a...

                                    • Enric
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jan 2, 2006
                                        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Paul Knight <paul.knight7@b...>
                                        wrote:

                                        > Wooof!! nicely siad andreas,
                                        >
                                        > By the way it was me who posted this originally.... Leave Enric alone,
                                        > he's a nice guy.
                                        >
                                        > Paul

                                        Except on 3vil ;)