XXX on Blip.tv

  • Paul Knight
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 1, 2006
      Dear all,

      On the subject of Pornography, something seems to have slipped through
      the net and landed writhing on the pages of blip.tv It is also
      happening in Dailymotion. Although a lot softer core. The video I am
      talking about is called XXX and was posted by LeNoX. I don't know
      about you but, although I have nothing against pornography, but for me
      these video sites both blip and dailymotion used to be a safe haven for
      me away from porn where I could concentrate, more on artistic value and
      creativity rather than having to suppress the urge to run to the
      bathroom every five minutes for tissue paper. I have found that the
      worst thing you need when you have vloggers block is to get sucked into
      porn. Or maybe I take this whole thing a bit too seriously, I wish to
      make films, I wish to share my creativity, it's enough when corpo's
      come on ranting about companies, I think that sucks also, big time.

      Paul Knight

      Do yourself a favour and Visit my Vlog

      http://pjkproductions.blogspot.com

      It's worth a laugh and work friendly.
    • Charles HOPE
      Message 2 of 29 , Jan 1, 2006
        Paul Knight wrote:
        Dear all,

        On the subject of Pornography, something seems to have slipped through
        the net and landed writhing on the pages of blip.tv It is also
        happening in Dailymotion.  Although a lot softer core.  The video I am
        talking about is called XXX and was posted by LeNoX.

        Thanks for notifying us. We do our best to remove such content when we notice it on blip. But we have no automagical way to detect inappropriate content, and this particular post happened to be posted at 2 in the morning on a holiday night when most good Americans are otherwise occupied.

        --
        Unlike most marine mammals, otters do not have a layer of insulating blubber, and even the marine sea otter must come ashore regularly to wash its coat in fresh water.
      • Harold Johnson
        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 1, 2006
          LOL, Paul -- I'm with you on that.  Porn is a powerful vacuum when you're trying to focus on your creative endeavors, especially when they involve sitting in front of your PC.  (I speak from personal experience; just listen to my podcast, "Truth (Pt 2)" at
          http://www.somethingthathappened.com/2005/12/truth-part-two-contributorsbrendan.html

          Harold J. Johnson

          On 1/1/06, Paul Knight <paul.knight7@...> wrote:
[...]

          Individual Fireant Typepad
          Use

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        • Enric
          Message 4 of 29 , Jan 1, 2006

            LeNxO, http://enric.blip.tv/posts/?user=LeNxO, has reposted that porn
            as "Nothing good", http://enric.blip.tv/file/8074. There's also at
            least one other new porn entry, firstcast, http://blip.tv/file/8082.
            Message 5 of 29 , Jan 1, 2006
              > On the subject of Pornography, something seems to have slipped through
              > the net and landed writhing on the pages of blip.tv It is also
              > happening in Dailymotion. Although a lot softer core. The video I am
              > talking about is called XXX and was posted by LeNoX. I don't know
              > about you but, although I have nothing against pornography, but for me
              > these video sites both blip and dailymotion used to be a safe haven for
              > me away from porn where I could concentrate, more on artistic value and
              > creativity rather than having to suppress the urge to run to the
              > bathroom every five minutes for tissue paper. I have found that the
              > worst thing you need when you have vloggers block is to get sucked into
              > porn. Or maybe I take this whole thing a bit too seriously, I wish to
              > make films, I wish to share my creativity, it's enough when corpo's
              > come on ranting about companies, I think that sucks also, big time.

              agreed.
              plenty of other places for porn.
              speaking of...here's one Swordfight's remedy: remix porn

              http://www.destroyhotaction.com/

              Adventures in Videoblogging
              <http://www.momentshowing.net>
              <http://getFireAnt.com>
              <http://node101.org>
            • Richard Bennett-Forrest
              Message 6 of 29 , Jan 1, 2006
                >both blip and dailymotion used to be a safe haven for
                >me away from porn where I could concentrate, more on artistic value and
                >creativity rather than having to suppress the urge to run to the
                >bathroom every five minutes for tissue paper.

                Gotta say, this is a classic line. :-)

                Regards,
                Richard

                --
                Vlog: http://www.kashum.com
                Feed: http://www.kashum.com/rss2.xml
                Message 7 of 29 , Jan 1, 2006
                  I should get paid for this you know.

                  Paul

                  On 1 Jan 2006, at 22:34, Richard Bennett-Forrest wrote:

                  > >both blip and dailymotion used to be a safe haven for
                  > >me away from porn where I could concentrate, more on artistic value
                  > and
                  > >creativity rather than having to suppress the urge to run to the
                  > >bathroom every five minutes for tissue paper.
                  >
                  > Gotta say, this is a classic line. :-)
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  >   Richard
                  >
                  > --
                  > Vlog: http://www.kashum.com
                  > Feed: http://www.kashum.com/rss2.xml

                  > Service.

                  Do yourself a favour and Visit my Vlog

                  http://pjkproductions.blogspot.com

                  It's worth a laugh and work friendly.
                • Halcyon Lujah
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jan 1, 2006
                    Wellll....

                    as a part-time professional pornographer, I feel like I should say
                    *something*...

                    Sexual content is just a type of content. Like extreme sports. If it
                    is labeled properly, I don't see the problem.

                    Of course, if a site says , "NO PORN" then they have to undertake the
                    tide-fighting battle tof trying to keep adult off of an open system.

                    I know that Veoh.com allows adult and gives you the ability to tag it
                    as such. That way, unles you change your default settings, you would
                    never see the risque content in searches or on the site.

                    -Halcyon
                    www.SpreadingThePink.com
                    www.PinkBroadcasting.com

                    On 1/1/06, Paul Knight <paul.knight7@...> wrote:
                    > Dear all,
                    >
                    > On the subject of Pornography, something seems to have slipped through
                    > the net and landed writhing on the pages of blip.tv It is also
                    > happening in Dailymotion. Although a lot softer core. The video I am
                    > talking about is called XXX and was posted by LeNoX. I don't know
                    > about you but, although I have nothing against pornography, but for me
                    > these video sites both blip and dailymotion used to be a safe haven for
                    > me away from porn where I could concentrate, more on artistic value and
                    > creativity rather than having to suppress the urge to run to the
                    > bathroom every five minutes for tissue paper. I have found that the
                    > worst thing you need when you have vloggers block is to get sucked into
                    > porn. Or maybe I take this whole thing a bit too seriously, I wish to
                    > make films, I wish to share my creativity, it's enough when corpo's
                    > come on ranting about companies, I think that sucks also, big time.
                    >
                    > Paul Knight
                    >

                    > Do yourself a favour and Visit my Vlog
                    >
                    > http://pjkproductions.blogspot.com
                    >
                    > It's worth a laugh and work friendly.

                    www.SpreadingThePink.com
                  • Eddie Codel
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jan 1, 2006
                      On Mon, Jan 02, 2006 at 12:17:54AM -0000, Enric wrote:
                      > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Halcyon Lujah <halcyon@c...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Wellll....
                      > >
                      > > as a part-time professional pornographer, I feel like I should say
                      > > *something*...
                      > >
                      > > Sexual content is just a type of content. Like extreme sports. If it
                      > > is labeled properly, I don't see the problem.
                      > >
                      > > Of course, if a site says , "NO PORN" then they have to undertake the
                      > > tide-fighting battle tof trying to keep adult off of an open system.
                      > >

                      > There's also a deluge of spam on open systems. Actions to hold it
                      > back are worthy.

                      Most people would agree that spam is not a content type that people WANT
                      to watch. The same can't always be said for porn.

                      Seems like a bigger issue is how does someone like blip or Veoh deal
                      with the newly expanded 2257 reporting requirements? Wouldn't they be considered a
                      "secondary producer" in the eyes of the feds?

                      -eddie
                    • Enric
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jan 1, 2006
                        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Halcyon Lujah <halcyon@c...> wrote:

                        > Wellll....
                        >
                        > as a part-time professional pornographer, I feel like I should say
                        > *something*...
                        >
                        > Sexual content is just a type of content. Like extreme sports. If it
                        > is labeled properly, I don't see the problem.
                        >
                        > Of course, if a site says , "NO PORN" then they have to undertake the
                        > tide-fighting battle tof trying to keep adult off of an open system.

                        There's also a deluge of spam on open systems. Actions to hold it
                        back are worthy.

                        -- Enric

                        > I know that Veoh.com allows adult and gives you the ability to tag it
                        > as such. That way, unles you change your default settings, you would
                        > never see the risque content in searches or on the site.
                        >
                        > -Halcyon
                        > www.SpreadingThePink.com
                        > www.PinkBroadcasting.com
                        >

                        > On 1/1/06, Paul Knight <paul.knight7@b...> wrote:
                        > > Dear all,
                        > >
                        > > On the subject of Pornography, something seems to have slipped through
                        > > the net and landed writhing on the pages of blip.tv It is also
                        > > happening in Dailymotion. Although a lot softer core. The video I am
                        > > talking about is called XXX and was posted by LeNoX. I don't know
                        > > about you but, although I have nothing against pornography, but for me
                        > > these video sites both blip and dailymotion used to be a safe
                        haven for
                        > > me away from porn where I could concentrate, more on artistic
                        value and
                        > > creativity rather than having to suppress the urge to run to the
                        > > bathroom every five minutes for tissue paper. I have found that the
                        > > worst thing you need when you have vloggers block is to get sucked
                        into
                        > > porn. Or maybe I take this whole thing a bit too seriously, I wish to
                        > > make films, I wish to share my creativity, it's enough when corpo's
                        > > come on ranting about companies, I think that sucks also, big time.
                        > >
                        > > Paul Knight
                        > >

                        > > Do yourself a favour and Visit my Vlog
                        > >
                        > > http://pjkproductions.blogspot.com
                        > >
                        > > It's worth a laugh and work friendly.

                        > www.SpreadingThePink.com

                      • Richard Bennett-Forrest
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jan 1, 2006
                          At 23:03 +0000 1/1/06, Paul Knight wrote:
                          >I should get paid for this you know.

                          Does "paid out" count?
                        • Loiez D.
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jan 1, 2006
                            The porn is not authorized on Dailymotion. Dailymotion is a French
                            company. For an open site under 18 years old it's the French law.
                            There is moderators on Daily and you can announce an abuse under
                            each video (porn, racism..)

                            Loiez (Because i am also a father)

                            Le 1 janv. 06 à 09:37, Paul Knight a écrit :

                            > On the subject of Pornography, something seems to have slipped through
                            > the net and landed writhing on the pages of blip.tv It is also
                            > happening in Dailymotion.
                          • Paul Knight
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jan 1, 2006
                              good one

                              On 2 Jan 2006, at 00:32, Richard Bennett-Forrest wrote:

                              > At 23:03 +0000 1/1/06, Paul Knight wrote:
                              > >I should get paid for this you know.
                              >
                              > Does "paid out" count?

                              > Individual
                              > Fireant
                              > Typepad
                              > Use
                              >
                              > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                              >
                              > ▪  Visit your group "videoblogging" on the web.

                              > Service.

                              Do yourself a favour and Visit my Vlog

                              http://pjkproductions.blogspot.com

                              It's worth a laugh and work friendly.
                            • Michael Sullivan
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jan 1, 2006
                                There's also a deluge of spam on open systems.  Actions to hold it
                                back are worthy.

                                Spam, Dupes, Tests, and non-vlog video content are some of the reasons why I have chosen not to pull in all the 'feeds' that exist out there onto my site at vlogdir.com.  Someone needs to take a few minutes of their time to add a videoblog entry to vlogdir.  This person, so far 99.9% of the time, is typcially the vlog/channel author.  They are interested to share and expose their content.
                                My letting VLOGDIR be a user-driven and thus commuity-driven directory, it acts as a very passive filter.  I dont have to worry about removing crap... once or twice I had to remove a commercial entry that was not a vlog, just some infomercial... but I deal with it as they come in.
                                If I took in all the feeds from all the different sites out there, i'd have a headache that i dont need.... and more noise in the directory for the audience.    Though vlogdir is an open system, at this point i see a benefit to not sucking in a spitting out every single rs feed that may exist across a group of video hosting sites.  Less is More and all that.   I'm not saying it is right or wrong, just is what it is right now based on my opinion.... and specifically related to the core directory.  I could in an hour or so build a new page that takes in all the newest video posted and generate and aggreagate an RSS feed for it.  I might do that actually.  But that would be just a vlogospheric feed and not the actual directory.  So, their are ways to make availabel the actual video content that is being spewed out from all over... without potentially corrupting a directory with the everything and anything system.
                                I have not had any porn vlogs added to vlogdir but if they come, i'll evaluate what to do (go ahead, insert joke here).

                                On 1/1/06, Enric < enric@...> wrote:
                                --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Halcyon Lujah <halcyon@c...> wrote:

                                > Wellll....
                                >
                                > as a part-time professional pornographer, I feel like I should say
                                > *something*...
                                >
                                > Sexual content is just a type of content.  Like extreme sports.  If it
                                > is labeled properly, I don't see the problem.
                                >
                                > Of course, if a site says , "NO PORN" then they have to undertake the
                                > tide-fighting battle tof trying to keep adult off of an open system.

                                There's also a deluge of spam on open systems.  Actions to hold it
                                back are worthy.

                                  -- Enric

                                > I know that Veoh.com allows adult and gives you the ability to tag it
                                > as such.  That way, unles you change your default settings, you would
                                > never see the risque content in searches or on the site.
                                >
                                > -Halcyon
                                > www.SpreadingThePink.com
                                > www.PinkBroadcasting.com
                                >

                                > On 1/1/06, Paul Knight < paul.knight7@b...> wrote:
                                > > Dear all,
                                > >
                                > > On the subject of Pornography, something seems to have slipped through
                                > > the net and landed writhing on the pages of blip.tv It is also
                                > > happening in Dailymotion.  Although a lot softer core.  The video I am
                                > > talking about is called XXX and was posted by LeNoX.  I don't know
                                > > about you but, although I have nothing against pornography, but for me
                                > > these video sites both blip and dailymotion used to be a safe
                                haven for
                                > > me away from porn where I could concentrate, more on artistic
                                value and
                                > > creativity rather than having to suppress the urge to run to the
                                > > bathroom every five minutes for tissue paper.  I have found that the
                                > > worst thing you need when you have vloggers block is to get sucked
                                into
                                > > porn.  Or maybe I take this whole thing a bit too seriously, I wish to
                                > > make films, I wish to share my creativity, it's enough when corpo's
                                > > come on ranting about companies, I think that sucks also, big time.
                                > >
                                > > Paul Knight
                                > >

                                > > Do yourself a favour and Visit my Vlog
                                > >
                                > > http://pjkproductions.blogspot.com
                                > >
                                > > It's worth a laugh and work friendly.

                                > www.SpreadingThePink.com

                                Yahoo! Groups Links

                                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                --
                                sull
                                "The hybrid or the meeting of two media is a moment of truth and revelation from which new form is born"
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jan 1, 2006
                                  We (you know who) replace the pornographic feed's thumbnail with an advisory-style image so the content isn't censored, or filtered, but at least grandma, or little joey don't have bare asses, etc thrown in their faces.

                                  We have to do this manually right now, and if the content is really nasty then we'd pull it.
                                  ...the porn, pull the porn off the site that is.  (Yeesh, hard to avoid the puns isn't it.)

                                  On 1/1/06, Enric < enric@...> wrote:
                                  --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Halcyon Lujah <halcyon@c...> wrote:

                                  > Wellll....
                                  >
                                  > as a part-time professional pornographer, I feel like I should say
                                  > *something*...
                                  >
                                  > Sexual content is just a type of content.  Like extreme sports.  If it
                                  > is labeled properly, I don't see the problem.
                                  >
                                  > Of course, if a site says , "NO PORN" then they have to undertake the
                                  > tide-fighting battle tof trying to keep adult off of an open system.

                                  There's also a deluge of spam on open systems.  Actions to hold it
                                  back are worthy.

                                    -- Enric

                                  > I know that Veoh.com allows adult and gives you the ability to tag it
                                  > as such.  That way, unles you change your default settings, you would
                                  > never see the risque content in searches or on the site.
                                  >
                                  > -Halcyon
                                  > www.SpreadingThePink.com
                                  > www.PinkBroadcasting.com
                                  >

                                  > On 1/1/06, Paul Knight < paul.knight7@b...> wrote:
                                  > > Dear all,
                                  > >
                                  > > On the subject of Pornography, something seems to have slipped through
                                  > > the net and landed writhing on the pages of blip.tv It is also
                                  > > happening in Dailymotion.  Although a lot softer core.  The video I am
                                  > > talking about is called XXX and was posted by LeNoX.  I don't know
                                  > > about you but, although I have nothing against pornography, but for me
                                  > > these video sites both blip and dailymotion used to be a safe
                                  haven for
                                  > > me away from porn where I could concentrate, more on artistic
                                  value and
                                  > > creativity rather than having to suppress the urge to run to the
                                  > > bathroom every five minutes for tissue paper.  I have found that the
                                  > > worst thing you need when you have vloggers block is to get sucked
                                  into
                                  > > porn.  Or maybe I take this whole thing a bit too seriously, I wish to
                                  > > make films, I wish to share my creativity, it's enough when corpo's
                                  > > come on ranting about companies, I think that sucks also, big time.
                                  > >
                                  > > Paul Knight
                                  > >

                                  > > Do yourself a favour and Visit my Vlog
                                  > >
                                  > > http://pjkproductions.blogspot.com
                                  > >
                                  > > It's worth a laugh and work friendly.

                                  > www.SpreadingThePink.com

                                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                  --
                                  sull
                                  "The hybrid or the meeting of two media is a moment of truth and revelation from which new form is born"
                                  http://vlogdir.com - The Videoblog Directory
                                  http://videobloggers.org - Free Videoblog Hosting / Vlogosphere Aggregator
                                  http://interdigitate.com - on again off again personal vlog

                                  Individual Fireant Typepad
                                  Use

                                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                                  --
                                  ~Devlon
                                  Blog: http://devlond.blogspot.com/
                                  Vlog: http://8bitme.blogspot.com

                                  http://mefeedia.com/ -OR- http://mefeedia.com/blog/
                                • Stephanie Bryant
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jan 2, 2006
                                    Eddie,

                                    As of last week, the secondary producer clause was struck down (yay!).
                                    Blip.tv can't get into trouble for some jerk posting porn to their
                                    service.

                                    I say "can't," but everyone needs to be aware that individual DA's
                                    have prosecuted (and persecuted) people for selling/providing adult
                                    material even when the material was not sold, targeted, distributed or
                                    otherwise meant for their local community. So, while the law no longer
                                    requires blip.tv to have all the underage reporting and documentation,
                                    that's no guarantee that some overzealous "porn task force" at the FBI
                                    won't decide to take it upon themselves to go after them, and the
                                    resulting legal quagmire can land Enric and all the blip.tv servers in
                                    court for years. Also, if some jerk posts child porn, Enric has to
                                    remove it immediately, even if it's not theirs. [And it'd be smart to
                                    call the cops if that happened, in case you can track down the source
                                    and fry them over an open grill.]

                                    We've been watching this very closely in my house, since hubby's biz
                                    depends on it. Check freespeechcoalition.com for updates on free
                                    speech issues in the adult industry if you're interested.

                                    On 1/1/06, Eddie Codel <eddie@...> wrote:
                                    > Seems like a bigger issue is how does someone like blip or Veoh deal
                                    > with the newly expanded 2257 reporting requirements? Wouldn't they be considered a
                                    > "secondary producer" in the eyes of the feds?

                                    --
                                    Stephanie Bryant
                                    mortaine@...
                                    Vlog: http://mortaine.blogspot.com
                                    Audioblog: http://bookramble.blogspot.com
                                  • Joshua Kinberg
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jan 2, 2006
                                      Stephanie,

                                      Can you point me to any documentation on this "secondary producer
                                      clause" and what it means?

                                      I've been wondering about how sites like iFilm.com and YouTube.com
                                      persist seemingly without liability even though they willfully display
                                      content they have no right to broadcast (SNL clips and other content
                                      they do not have permission to distribute).

                                      Does this clause cover sites like this or does it only relate to pornography?

                                      -Josh

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jan 2, 2006
                                        Secondary producer is a part of the 2257 wording which (in my
                                        understanding) is strictlly for porn, and used under the pretense of
                                        stopping child porn. (age of performers documentation, etc.)

                                        It is not related to using others' content.

                                        -Halcyon

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jan 2, 2006
                                          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Stephanie Bryant <mortaine@g...>
                                          wrote:

                                          > Eddie,
                                          >
                                          > As of last week, the secondary producer clause was struck down (yay!).
                                          > Blip.tv can't get into trouble for some jerk posting porn to their
                                          > service.
                                          >
                                          > I say "can't," but everyone needs to be aware that individual DA's
                                          > have prosecuted (and persecuted) people for selling/providing adult
                                          > material even when the material was not sold, targeted, distributed or
                                          > otherwise meant for their local community. So, while the law no longer
                                          > requires blip.tv to have all the underage reporting and documentation,
                                          > that's no guarantee that some overzealous "porn task force" at the FBI
                                          > won't decide to take it upon themselves to go after them, and the
                                          > resulting legal quagmire can land Enric and all the blip.tv servers in
                                          > court for years. Also, if some jerk posts child porn, Enric has to
                                          > remove it immediately, even if it's not theirs. [And it'd be smart to
                                          > call the cops if that happened, in case you can track down the source
                                          > and fry them over an open grill.]

                                          LOL, Stephanie. I don't work at blip.tv or have a open server for
                                          video content.

                                          ;),

                                          Enric
                                          -===-
                                          Determine Media
                                          http://www.cirne.com

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jan 2, 2006
                                            My mistake-- sorry. I've been away from vlogging for too long and
                                            forgot everyone's "face."

                                            --
                                            Stephanie Bryant
                                            mortaine@...
                                            Vlog: http://mortaine.blogspot.com
                                            Audioblog: http://bookramble.blogspot.com
                                          • Markus Sandy
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jan 2, 2006
                                              wrote:

                                              ... and the
                                              resulting legal quagmire can land Enric and all the blip.tv servers ...

                                              LOL, Stephanie.  I don't work at blip.tv or have a open server for
                                              video content.

                                              actually, i was wondering about this too - i think she is referring to your original post where "enric" appears in the urls:

                                              Enric wrote:
                                              LeNxO, http://enric.blip.tv/posts/?user=LeNxO, has reposted that porn
                                              as "Nothing good", http://enric.blip.tv/file/8074.  There's also at
                                              least one other new porn entry, firstcast, http://blip.tv/file/8082.

                                              http://apperceptions.org
                                              http://digitaldojo.blogspot.com
                                              http://node101.org
                                              http://spinflow.org
                                              http://wearethemedia.com
                                              http://xpressionvlog.blogspot.com

                                              aim/ichat: markus.sandy@...
                                              msn: msandy@...
                                              skype: msandy
                                              spin: markus@...

                                            • Stephanie Bryant
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Jan 2, 2006
                                                As Halcyon said-- this is only relating to pornography, not copyright.

                                                Under the new rules, sites that redistribute adult content (including
                                                websites) would have had to maintain a separate copy of the
                                                documentation (drivers license, model release form, age verification
                                                form) of each actor appearing in every item they publish. Previously,
                                                this documentation was only kept by the studio producing the material.
                                                On the back of every porn DVD and in the fine print on every primary
                                                producing adult website, you can find an address where these records
                                                could be inspected during business hours. Any adult studio maintains
                                                these records as a matter of their business practices. To require it
                                                of every website owner who scans and posts a DVD cover for purposes of
                                                selling that DVD is a fast way to putting porn websites out of
                                                business or offshore (the way the rules were changed, without any
                                                congressional oversight, means that there cannot be a significant
                                                financial impact of the rules change-- Gonzales basically lied
                                                flat-out in changing these rules when he said they didn't have an
                                                impact).

                                                Anyway, here's a fun entanglement with copyright, though: Under
                                                current copyright laws, a copyright violation is a civil offense,
                                                resulting in civil damages (fines). However, if the secondary producer
                                                clause had remained, someone copying a DVD and re-publishing it would
                                                not just be a copyright violation. The aggrieved party could then call
                                                the FBI, tell the FBI "they don't have documentation" and have the
                                                offender thrown in prison. The first offense is worth 5 years of hard
                                                time. Each subsequent offense is worth 10 years, and the rules were
                                                supposedly retroactive, meaning they could get you for not having
                                                documentation even before you were required to keep it. I think most
                                                of us can agree that 10 years in prison for breaking a copyright on a
                                                legal product is excessive (10 years in prison for breaking child porn
                                                laws is not).

                                                These rules, by the way, don't actually catch child pornographers, who
                                                work outside of the adult entertainment industry. The industry polices
                                                its own and effectively shuts out anyone with ties to child porn.

                                                --Stephanie

                                                Message 23 of 29 , Jan 2, 2006
                                                  Yeah-- my boneheaded mistake. I know better, too!

                                                  --Steph

                                                  --
                                                  Stephanie Bryant
                                                  mortaine@...
                                                  Vlog: http://mortaine.blogspot.com
                                                  Audioblog: http://bookramble.blogspot.com
                                                • Andreas Haugstrup
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Jan 2, 2006
                                                    On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 23:28:15 +0100, Stephanie Bryant <mortaine@...>
                                                    wrote:

                                                    > time. Each subsequent offense is worth 10 years, and the rules were
                                                    > supposedly retroactive, meaning they could get you for not having
                                                    > documentation even before you were required to keep it.

                                                    I'd like to call bullshit on that. Democracies have checks in place to
                                                    avoid retroactive legislation. As I refuse to believe the USA to have a
                                                    system silly enough to allow this kind of legislation I looked it up. And
                                                    indeed retroactive legislation is "Prohibited by Article I section 9
                                                    (applying to federal law) and section 10 (applying to state law) of the
                                                    U.S. Constitution."

                                                    - Andreas, watching FUD at work.

                                                      That was an EXCELLENT summary of 2257! Well said!

                                                      -Halcyon

                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Jan 2, 2006
                                                        Wooof!! nicely siad andreas,

                                                        By the way it was me who posted this originally.... Leave Enric alone,
                                                        he's a nice guy.

                                                        Paul

                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Jan 2, 2006
                                                          On 1/2/06, Andreas Haugstrup <solitude@...> wrote:
                                                          > On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 23:28:15 +0100, Stephanie Bryant <mortaine@...>
                                                          > wrote:
                                                          >
                                                          > > time. Each subsequent offense is worth 10 years, and the rules were
                                                          > > supposedly retroactive, meaning they could get you for not having
                                                          > > documentation even before you were required to keep it.
                                                          >
                                                          > I'd like to call bullshit on that. Democracies have checks in place to
                                                          > avoid retroactive legislation. As I refuse to believe the USA to have a
                                                          > system silly enough to allow this kind of legislation I looked it up. And
                                                          > indeed retroactive legislation is "Prohibited by Article I section 9
                                                          > (applying to federal law) and section 10 (applying to state law) of the
                                                          > U.S. Constitution."

                                                          Feel free, Andreas. Calling bullshit on it is exactly what the Free
                                                          Speech Coalition's been doing since day 1. What you have to understand
                                                          is that this was not a law that was passed by Congress. It's a change
                                                          to the rules that an old law gave the DOJ the power to make. The rules
                                                          change underwent only the barest amount of oversight, and now the
                                                          system of checks and balances has to go to work to overturn it and
                                                          show it to be unconstitutional.

                                                          In the original rules, there could be a situation in which an underage
                                                          actor appeared in a work and was later discovered to be underage (a la
                                                          Traci Lords). Destroying copies of that work from the records-keeping
                                                          files would be an offense worth 10 years in prison, but keeping a copy
                                                          of that work would be a child pornography charge, also worth
                                                          significant prison time. An exception was quickly articulated for such
                                                          cases, but the original rules, as written, were terrible, draconian,
                                                          and full of clauses to criminalize an otherwise legitimate industry.

                                                          Oh, and the clause that will require independent webcam girls to
                                                          publish their business addresses (usually also their private homes) on
                                                          the Internet still stands, with the argument that nobody's been killed
                                                          yet, so these women don't deserve the most basic privacy protection.

                                                          This isn't FUD. It's what's happening. Nobody wants to cover it in the
                                                          mainstream press, because the law in question has the word "underage"
                                                          in it, so the most simplistic sound-byte impression is that if you
                                                          oppose these rules, then you're in favor of child porn. That's the
                                                          real FUD.

                                                          --Stephanie

                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Jan 2, 2006
                                                            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Markus Sandy <markus@a...> wrote:

                                                            > Enric wrote:
                                                            >
                                                            > >--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Stephanie Bryant <mortaine@g...>
                                                            > >wrote:
                                                            > >

                                                            > >>... and the
                                                            > >>resulting legal quagmire can land Enric and all the blip.tv
                                                            servers ...

                                                            > >LOL, Stephanie. I don't work at blip.tv or have a open server for
                                                            > >video content.
                                                            > >

                                                            > actually, i was wondering about this too - i think she is referring to
                                                            > your original post where "enric" appears in the urls:
                                                            >
                                                            > Enric wrote:
                                                            >
                                                            > >LeNxO, http://enric.blip.tv/posts/?user=LeNxO, has reposted that porn
                                                            > >as "Nothing good", http://enric.blip.tv/file/8074. There's also at
                                                            > >least one other new porn entry, firstcast, http://blip.tv/file/8082.

                                                            Ha, yea I missed the reference that searches from your blog on blip.tv
                                                            reference from one's blog landing page (i.e., "enric.blip.tv"). I
                                                            should have searched from the blip.tv home page. I can see it would
                                                            confuse the authoring source.

                                                            -- Enric

                                                            > --
                                                            >
                                                            > My name is Markus Sandy and I am app.etitio.us
                                                            >
                                                            > http://apperceptions.org
                                                            > http://digitaldojo.blogspot.com
                                                            > http://node101.org
                                                            > http://spinflow.org
                                                            > http://wearethemedia.com
                                                            > http://xpressionvlog.blogspot.com
                                                            >
                                                            > aim/ichat: markus.sandy@m...
                                                            > msn: msandy@a...
                                                            > skype: msandy
                                                            > spin: markus@a...

                                                          • Enric
                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Jan 2, 2006
                                                              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Paul Knight <paul.knight7@b...>
                                                              wrote:

                                                              > Wooof!! nicely siad andreas,
                                                              >
                                                              > By the way it was me who posted this originally.... Leave Enric alone,
                                                              > he's a nice guy.
                                                              >
                                                              > Paul

                                                              Except on 3vil ;)