Re: 3ivx compression -- Help!

  • wtrainbow
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 30, 2005
      I use QT7/Tiger and I use 3ivx Dual Pass - it is the best size/quailty ratio after much
      experimentation. The h.264 is a little smaller with the same quality but takes much longer
      to compress - plus the biggest drawback is that it requires QT7 to view.

      What is the bug? I haven't noticed any problems.

      Will

      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Watkins" <steve@d...> wrote:

> [...]
      > but a bug made it useless with QT7/tiger. However there is a
      > workaround for that bug:
      >
      > http://forums.3ivx.com/index.php?showtopic=83898
      >
      > For many people it may not be worth the extra time/hassle of going for
      > a 2-pass solution, it depends how much you care about
      > quality/filesize. Try both, and see if the results are worth it.
      > 2-pass should be as much of a hassle as it is with 3ivx (manually
      > starting 2nd pass & doing bug workaround).
      >
      > I think the qt7.0.3 ipod video export option uses 2-pass, another
      > reason why its so slow.
      >
      > Steve of Elbows
      >
      > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Harold Johnson
      > <harold.johnson@g...> wrote:
      > >
      > > What was the point of two passes anyway? I'm unfamiliar with this.
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Harold
      > > http://podcasterherald.com
      > >
      > > On 12/30/05, Michael I <idvfilms@y...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Great!
      > > > The days of 1st pass 2nd pass are over!
      > > > Thanks for the info.
      > > > Aloha.
      > > > *andrew michael baron <andrew@r...>* wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I have Tiger, QT7 and 3ivx 4.5.1
      > > >
      > > > I encode to single pass constant bitrate (or single pass average
      > bitrate
      > > > when file is too big) at 6400 kbits/sec [error in software makes this
      > > > setting confusing, but thats what I set it at]
      > > > compressor quality med, high or best, depending on motion
      > complexity of
      > > > footage (I usually preset at med).
      > > > maxium quality Quantizer is around 90%-100% (usually 95%)
      > > > minimum quality quantizer is around 10%
      > > > frames per second is 15.
      > > > keyframs forced every 300 delta frames
      > > > half-pixel motion and four vector motion engaged.
      > > >
      > > > Audio is AAC 44.1 128kbs
      > > >
      > > > On Dec 29, 2005, at 10:35 PM, Stan Hirson, Sarah Jones wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I've been doing some tests with 3ivx and QuickTime, but have not been
      > > > getting� file size economy� that is any better than MPEG4 or
      > H.264.�
      > > >
      > > > I got the idea of usinig 3ivx from the Rocketboom tools
      > documentation. It
      > > > was very helpful and generous, but I'm afraid I need some more
      > guidance
      > > > aboput specific settings.� The whole subject of compression has
      > been,
      > > > quite frankly, something that I've been avoiding because it is so
      > confusing
      > > > with its own language and parameters that, to me, don't make much
      > sense.�
      > > >
      > > > I am developing a vlog that will a lot of footage of horses in
      > motion. I
      > > > am trying to keep the bit rate as low as possible to avoid
      > stuttering while
      > > > showing some sense of motion as clean as possible on DSL bandwidth.
      > > >
      > > > What I am looking for from this list is some pointers to
      > instruction about
      > > > compression that is somewhere between the Freevlog tutorials and

      t=ms&k=Individual&w1=Individual&w2=Fireant&w3=Typepad&w4=Use&c=4&s=51&.sig=
      IkmOF87iVVg5aOV5s-5ShQ>

      t=ms&k=Fireant&w1=Individual&w2=Fireant&w3=Typepad&w4=Use&c=4&s=51&.sig=H1
      5DYYUHQoulfARYZSKttA>

      t=ms&k=Typepad&w1=Individual&w2=Fireant&w3=Typepad&w4=Use&c=4&s=51&.sig=b
      K2vbSrJUIzcRadddW7krQ>

      t=ms&k=Use&w1=Individual&w2=Fireant&w3=Typepad&w4=Use&c=4&s=51&.sig=RO46
      LszR1YSPWsK2mib1pA>