Re: [videoblogging] Bit Torrent's Creator

  • Joshua Kinberg
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 30, 2004
      Of course, I posted that before reading the next two paragraphs which
      are even better:

      "Of course, peercasting doesn't change everything. Producing a good
      show like The Sopranos or E.R. still costs millions. Actors aren't
      cheap. That's why Jarvis thinks the first creators to thrive in a
      BitTorrent world will be a fresh crop of how-to and reality shows,
      where talent is inexpensive and scriptwriters unnecessary. "Trading
      Spaces is probably $100,000 a half hour. But with a Mac and a digital
      video camera you can produce a much cheaper version," Jarvis says."

      "The major networks are watching the situation cautiously. They don't
      want to ignore the potential of the peercasting model, but they can't
      endorse it without knowing where their revenue will come from. "We're
      going to have to be very creative about it," says Channing Dawson, a
      senior vice president with Scripps Networks, which produces several
      food and lifestyle shows for on-demand TV. "But eventually the
      consumer will become the programmer. Content will be accessible
      anywhere, anytime." The executive vice president for research and
      planning at CBS, David Poltrack, elaborates: "In our research with
      consumers, content-on-demand is the killer app. They like the idea of
      paying only for what they watch." The trick, he figures, is to work
      out a solution before the audience for illegal downloading becomes
      truly huge. He figures the networks have 10 years."