Re: [videoblogging] Re: BloggerVision

  • Adrian Miles
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 15, 2004
      On 15/06/2004, at 5:09 PM, Yaron Samid wrote:

      > Quality of service, namely picture quality (resolution and screen
      > size) is important to mainstream viewer adoption. Its been proven
      > time and again in the media world. Cable TV killed that antenna on
      > top of your old TV set because of picture quality, not because of
      > the 100 channels you never watch. You'll be switching to and paying
      > extra for HDTV soon to. That being said, I've always felt the
      > plumbing is only worth the shit it delivers. Picture quality or not,
      > you're 100% correct, content is THE main driver of viewership and
      > always will be.

      I'm too far out of trad. media studies these days to know how accurate
      this is :-) But i'll still keep the hat on and suggest it is only half
      true. In Aust. cable uptake has been low, and in Britain it (I think)
      was kick started by Murdoch buying football rights and sticking it on
      the satellite. Here digital TV is being kicked off by home DVD +
      theatre, not to get the digital signal. People are buying bigger tvs
      with better sound systems so the extra few dollars for the decoder is
      no big deal, but it is still secondary.

      now, on top of that, keep in mind in the US you have NTSC and we have
      PAL (as does Europe) which does look better, so the technical demand or
      gap is lessened. Also I'd suggest it is not just quality of image but
      content. Here things like the Soprano's, Sex in the City, Six Feet
      Under, etc are all free to air but they are all cable in the States.
      Now, not only is this content that US free to air can't match, but it
      is also clear that cable has caused a renaissance in US television
      production. This is because of the creative freedom that cable
      produces, not because the picture is so much better :-)

      I'm not disagreeing, just suggesting it is not just a question of
      supply and demand where supply = better quality images and sound.

      > I would think picture quality is relevant for video bloggers as
      > well, whether they shoot a 15 second "life moment" or 5 minute short
      > movie -- you put in the time to produce the content, isn't it a
      > shame to have it seen in a choppy 200X100 window? Before you answer
      > that, let me just say that it is entirely up to you. Our goal is not
      > to enforce any production value standards on video bloggers, just to
      > facilitate the publishing and distribution of their video files,
      > regardless of its size. The key value to video bloggers is that its
      > an free and easy way to publish video online. If they still want to
      > create small, low-res files, that's completely up to them. Low
      > quality encoding standards are actually imposed on people by the
      > bandwith/costs limitations of streaming. Sticking to that standard
      > with our technology would be like driving a porsche in 1st gear, but
      > to each his own. This is really not about picture quality for the
      > publishers but I'm glad you brought it up.

      again 50% there. If I want to accept what are basically Hollywood
      production values translated to the web then sure, but what if I want
      to be Jean Luc Goddard on the web? Or any other new wave director?
      What's the web equivalent there? Perhaps it is 320 x 240, stuttering,
      shuddering video. But of course, the model ought to support all needs.

      I do argue strongly for the idea that networked video is about desktop
      screens. it isn't tv or cinema and misjudges the desktop if it tries to
      be this. why? well the screen is domestic and personal. it is usually
      viewed by one person, me. right now i have 12 programs running and I'll
      flip from writing mail to my news browser to my web browser as I need
      or whim dictates. So the model of content in this environment is the
      blog chunk. That isn't just 20" bits of video but it is also 20" bits
      of video that play nicely on my desktop with everything else that I'm
      doing. For example, right now the best 'vogs' are high quality 30
      second commercials that companies make available online. my personal
      favourites have been the US Volkswagen ads. They're 30seconds long,
      download in easily, play politely, have good production values and good
      narratives. They don't want to be movies, they don't want or need to
      own my desktop. Would I like much better quality sound and vision? sure
      :-) Will it ever be enough? No.

      > How important do you think it is for video bloggers to have thier
      > clips seen by many people? Is it a small community thing or are we
      > striving for mainstream viewership?

      oh, tricky one. If you're using the blog model then it is more about a
      community of reader/viewers which could be 10's, 100's, 1000's or
      10,000's. if you want a lot of viewers then it is easy to get them, but
      if you want quality readers then it is a case of making decent work and
      letting the audience accrue. what many in .com misunderstand is that
      for things like blogs and vogs the start up costs basically approach 0.
      That means there is no implicit need to garner an audience to recoup
      the start up and running costs. So if you make decent content, leave it
      there, add to it, your audience builds over time.

      in terms of vogs the trickiest part is to develop the same architecture
      that blogs have. permalinks that point to video objects not html
      objects, a way of linking to those, and the like. This is what will
      significantly help videoblogs as a specific practice, the other
      conversation is to treat video on the web as only a question about
      delivery. it isn't. it is also about making, writing, publishing, then
      viewing and linking.

      cheers
      Adrian Miles
      hypertext.rmit || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/adrian
      interactive networked video || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog
      research blog || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog/vlog/
    • Jay Dedman
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 15, 2004
        Adrian,
        I got in touch with the guy, Kow Atta-Mensah, who helped the MIT woman build a
        pseudo-videoblogging tool.
        http://www.audiovisceral.net/facts/this.html
        He said they built it a couple years ago.
        The only thing they didnt do was give it an FTP function.

        He said we could possibly get the code for it.
        would anyone be interested in figuring it out if we could get the code?

        "im sad to tell you that i haven't made an update to that software in
        almost a couple of years. it was an undergraduate research project i
        was helping with back at MIT. i recently graduated and left the
        institute. i am not sure, but aisling might have had someone take over
        my role. you can reach her at aisling@.... just tell her i
        pointed you to her. sadly, i dont even have my old source, but if she
        does i believe she would be willing to give it to you. sort of messy,
        but someone java savvy should be able to figure it out. if you have any
        questions, i'd be glad to answer them."

        "i dont believe i ever finished that part(FTP)... but there are lots of open
        source java ftp clients (and servers) available so making the addition
        is pretty simple. the recording capability i built in was fast for the
        time (for java anyways) and im sure newer versions of the quicktime and
        jmf apis have been released which will make an immediate speed
        increase."

        --
        Jay Dedman
        Manhattan Neighborhood Network
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 16, 2004
          On 16/06/2004, at 3:10 PM, Jay Dedman wrote:

          > I got in touch with the guy, Kow Atta-Mensah, who helped the MIT woman
          > build a
          > pseudo-videoblogging tool.
          > http://www.audiovisceral.net/facts/this.html
          > He said they built it a couple years ago.
          > The only thing they didnt do was give it an FTP function.
          >
          > He said we could possibly get the code for it.
          > would anyone be interested in figuring it out if we could get the code?

          well one possibility is that I try to get Apple University Consortium
          money here in Australia to finish it and release it. Though if it is
          MIT's then I'd assume they own it.
          Other suggestions welcome. I can't program Java but this is certainly I
          project I might be able to get funding for.

          cheers
          Adrian Miles
          hypertext.rmit || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/adrian
          interactive networked video || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog
          research blog || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog/vlog/
        • petertheman
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 16, 2004
            > Other suggestions welcome. I can't program Java but this is
            certainly I project I might be able to get funding for.

            There is a whole bunch of tools needed (videoblogging tools,
            aggregating tools, ...) for various audiences. And more importantly,
            standards are needed for those tools (Bittorrent for P2P, RSS
            enclosures for syndication, ...).

            Is anyone interested in outlining the various audiences and/or use
            cases and types of tools/standards we imagine together? We can put
            them on the me-tv.org wiki. Having good requirements might inspire
            someone to actually build these things :)

            As I said before, I started playing around with some requirements for
            one type of tool on the wiki (it's slow right now, cheap host!).

            PS: An article in the new scientist mentions videoblogging:

            http://www.newscientist.com/hottopics/tech/article.jsp?
            id=99995015&sub=Communications

            "A pair of sunglasses that can detect when someone is making eye
            contact with the wearer has been developed by Canadian researchers.
            Besides being useful in singles bars, its inventors say the system
            could play a key role in video blogging, a hi-tech form of diary
            keeping."

            Jay actually has a pair of funky glasses (they look inconspicous in
            the Lower East Side in NYC) connected to a video recording device.
            Jay, wanna try out videoblogging with those?

            Cheers,
            Peter
          • Jay Dedman
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 16, 2004
              We've been talking about devloping a vdieobloggin tool.
              which would be amazing if we could make happen.
              But my question is this:
              how would you use it?

              I subscribe to all the videoblogs I can find, and most update every two
              weeks to every two months.
              definitely not daily.
              is videoblogging was a more intuitive process would you post video daily?
              what would it be?

              i know some people are about short Moments, while others are into edited
              movies.
              Id like to hear from some of the people who havent posted yet.

              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 16, 2004
                On 17/06/2004, at 4:09 AM, Jay Dedman wrote:

                > how would you use it?

                well next year i have 50 students who will all be doing at least one
                small project around video blogs. so something that lets you:

                capture, do a quick cut, set in and out points, publish straight into
                your blog CMS.

                iMovie does everything except the last bit, but given the things out
                there for iPhoto to publish to a blog, etc, I'm assuming it would be
                possible to write a plug in for iMovie that would do this.

                not sure about the 95% of the world on pcs though.

                cheers
                Adrian Miles
                hypertext.rmit || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/adrian
                interactive networked video || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog
                research blog || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog/vlog/
              • Deirdre Straughan, class of 81
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 19, 2004
                  > --we need to solve the problem of bandwidth so I wont go broke if a
                  bunch of
                  > people decide to follow my Moments day to day.

                  Seems to me there's something wrong with this model. If your blog were
                  that popular, wouldn't it be fair for YOU to get paid for it? After
                  all, someone somewhere along the line is making money from our viewing
                  you - at the very least, our various bandwidth providers. If there
                  wasn't stuff on the web we wanted to see (including you), we wouldn't
                  be paying the providers, and especially we wouldn't be paying them for
                  the high speed needed to view video.

                  best regards,
                  Deirdré Straughan

                  http://www.straughan.com
                • Adrian Miles
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 22, 2004
                    On 20/07/2004, at 12:05 AM, Deirdre Straughan, class of 81 wrote:

                    > Seems to me there's something wrong with this model. If your blog were
                    > that popular, wouldn't it be fair for YOU to get paid for it? After
                    > all, someone somewhere along the line is making money from our viewing
                    > you - at the very least, our various bandwidth providers. If there
                    > wasn't stuff on the web we wanted to see (including you), we wouldn't
                    > be paying the providers, and especially we wouldn't be paying them for
                    > the high speed needed to view video.

                    Ted Nelson had a vision of this in the 60s which largely consisted of
                    micropayments for *all* content. each time you view my content i earn,
                    let's say .00001 cent per byte. When I view yours, I pay the same. at
                    some point some equity arises but the main point was that valuable
                    (viewed/used) content would be rewarded with increased payment.

                    This was part of Project Xanadu, well before the WWW was a twinkle in
                    Tim's eyes.

                    cheers
                    Adrian Miles
                    hypertext.rmit || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/adrian
                    interactive networked video || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog
                    research blog || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog/vlog/
                  • The Dane
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 23, 2004
                      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Adrian Miles
                      > Ted Nelson had a vision of this in the 60s
                      > which largely consisted of micropayments for
                      > *all* content. each time you view my content
                      > i earn, let's say .00001 cent per byte. When
                      > I view yours, I pay the same. at some point
                      > some equity arises but the main point was
                      > that valuable (viewed/used) content would
                      > be rewarded with increased payment.

                      There are currently companies out there providing micropayment
                      services and I've though of instituting micropayments on some of my
                      own material, but the trick is becoming popular enough to merit
                      people paying for your content. Most of the videoblogs I watch, I
                      watch because the only thing they cost is my time - and I probably
                      wouldn't watch them if I had to pay even a small amount. And I'm an
                      interested party. This is where programming concepts come in (not
                      computer programming, but market programming). It's like it's cool
                      that there are public access channels on television, but nobody
                      would ever pay to see the kind of stuff on public access.

                      So really the trick is, build a market of people who would pay a
                      nickel to watch your videoblogging and then you can charge. If you
                      charge before the market exists, it'll be much more difficult to
                      even get it off the ground.