Re: scene analyzers

  • Chuck Olsen
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 29 4:01 PM
      Lisa - yes!

      I mean, no I haven't checked out any of that software (thanks for bringing it to our
      attention). But yes, this is exactly how I think about my hours and hours of Blogumentary
      video footage. It's a huge problem. I was going to send it to the Open Video project ( http:
      //open-video.org ) who offered to digitize and index my footage. But that would require
      dubbing it all and mailing it - ugh.

      For my dream to come true, my dream of making "Blogumentary" truly open source and
      searchable and accessible, it has to be indexed to the gills. Chock full-o-metadata. I
      suspect this is true of all video we want online, eventually. (Me-tv handles some of that

      For example, let's take my 2 hours of interview with Matt Haughey (creator of
      MetaFilter.com). The content of the interview varies from his personal and legal struggles
      with blogging, to internet hoaxes debunked by citizen journalists, to the impact of blogs
      on 9/11. So, new keywords every 5 or 10 minutes possibly. Then you have time and
      location. Matt Haughey is associated with Creative Commons, MetaFilter, A Whole Lotta
      Nothing, Ten Years of My Life, etc. (and used to work for Blogger). You could also have
      aesthetic tags -- this is "talking head." And of course, the entire transcript would be nice.

      The last time I looked at this for my job (a few years ago) there was software that could
      both visually and aurally index footage using pattern and voice recognition software. But it
      was very very expensive. Perhaps these packages offer some of those features at the
      consumer level - I'm off to check them out now.